Update: Et tu, Justice Roberts? The David Souter of the new millennium.

This isn’t the end of the trail. The only to get rid of Obamacare now is via the ballot box. A solid majority of Americans oppose, and Republicans running this year should keep that in mind. Stay focused and motivated and the left can still be crushed in November.

The individual mandate was ruled constitutional as a tax. So the long and short of it is, everybody’s taxes just went up and if you already have a health care plan you like, you probably won’t for much longer.
*****

Well, today’s the big day. I’m covering the decision(s) today over at Michelle’s place, so keep up on that here. Normally I don’t cross-post, but something this big deserves to have two blogs going. The implications are many, for the nation as well as on the upcoming election. Put your head between your knees and brace for impact. No, your own knees, Mr. Clinton.

Also, this afternoon the House is expected to vote to find Eric Holder in contempt of Congress. We’ll probably get to that in a separate post.

Until the Supreme Court’s issues its ruling, enjoy this photo taken yesterday of Joe Biden using the Vulcan Mind Meld to suck the intelligence from an innocent bystander:

Comments

33 Responses to “Supreme Court Rules on Obamacare: Brace for Impact; Update: Obamacare Upheld Almost in its Entirety

1. jeffythequick on June 28th, 2012 11:58 am

Normally I'm positive, but 5 minutes before this thing drops, I just have a bad feeling on this.

I know the decision is already made, and nothing in my feelings has anything to do with what happens, but it's odd.

People at work are chatty about stuff (and I do get my share of chat, walking around with a service dog. People are just nervous and there is a sense of dread in the air.

But then again, maybe it's just me.

2 minutes….

2. jeffythequick on June 28th, 2012 12:16 pm

United States of America, Rest in Peace.

1776-2010

3. Pete on June 28th, 2012 12:46 pm

Mandate is a tax…. Obama promised no raised taxes…. does this mean Obama will work to repeal ACA?

4. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 12:48 pm

Nope just another evolving position from Obama.

5. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 12:50 pm

I see the market is already reacting by loosing a full percent. My guess is you will see a lot less hiring going on now as businesses will remained as streamlined as possible. You will also see a lot of businesses stop offering health insurance as the tax will be far less of an expense than the cost of premiums now.

6. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 1:19 pm

An alternative their internal risk mgmt. dept's were fully prepared to confront! Kind of like "illegal bars" that flourished right outside the main gate of many military bases.

Since no 'license' was available thru the local government ( they simply paid the annual 'fine' ) and it more or less sufficed. Difference being the worst that could happen to you is you'd get a black eye. Not bankrupt a nation.

In alignment w/ your comment on MM, take me to freaking jail. In my case, it won't have been the first time?

7. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 1:29 pm

This just proves my wife right once again. This was never about health insurance, it was always about a new revenue stream for the government.

8. backwoodsconsr on June 28th, 2012 1:44 pm

I have never been so disgusted by any act of our government in my life.

9. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 1:48 pm

Quick question. If a person does not hold valid insurance for the entire year (i.e. they have insurace for 8 months, but cannot afford the premiums the last 4 months) is the full penalty imposed or is it prorated?

10. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 1:59 pm

Both gorgeous AND brilliant!

I'll play it out for ya'. Self employed or otherwise non-exempt filer has Refund confiscated, expropriated, absconded…

Three years later IRS notices filer is remiss in filing, filed an 'extension' or more than likely ( stopped filing ALTOGETHER )

IRS cranks out Demand Letters on monthly/weekly basis. Filer uses to line birdcage and absorb oil spills in drive. Penalties, interest and interest ON the penalties + hilarity ensue.

Year 4: Filer no longer places assets in his/her name. Children and drinking buddies become strawmen.

Year 5: Former FILER and formerly good citizen has now fully converted to a CASH system and resides comfortably between Costa Rica, the Philippines and ocassionally at in-laws in Cleveland when the boating weather is nice…

11. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 2:26 pm

She sure is!

Yep, that sounds about right.

12. SignPainterGuy on June 28th, 2012 2:26 pm

"…… prorated ? ", The only things the gov. is really pro (as in professional, or good at) at are lying and stealing; take it from there !

13. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 2:32 pm

True. I am just wondering at just how much of a revenue stream this will turn into. Imgaine. Someone has health insurance through their employer, but looses it when they are laid off. They keep their insurance for a few months using COBRA, but eventually have to cancel due to choosing between the cost of the insurance or putting food on the table. They now do not have health insurance, so they are in violation of the law. They now end up having to pay the tax come the end of the year.

14. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 2:51 pm

TS,

And a million other scenarios they didn't bother playing out. ( See my Ticket to the Underground Economy above! )

What about Temp's and new hires? Who pays for the Temp, the agency or the employer he happens to be working for that day/week? They just didn't think this thing thru. At all.

15. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 3:00 pm

Oh we've all had relatives, friends, bar room buddies that have been down this dark path. My own MOTHER had tax issues OTA when the old man passed away.

"Your FATHER always took care of this and now they're hounding me!" The one step I omitted above was; Year 6: OIC ( Offer In Compromise ) which is what I wound up having to plead for Mom.

Nothing nefarious! She simply forgot to withold for State & Fed when she got laid off ( from her company of 30 years ) and the amount grew and GREW AND GREEEEW! $20k from like $1,500 a decade earlier.

Yeah, it happens.

16. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 3:18 pm

Excellent point. Makes you wonder how long till the IRS deems that Medicare/Medicaid is not a valid insurance under Obamacare thus requiring those using those programs to purchase health insurance or pay the tax.

17. Obama bin Biden on June 28th, 2012 3:21 pm

Mike Savage called it!

I wonder what the regime has on Roberts?

18. SignPainterGuy on June 28th, 2012 3:22 pm

It`ll will happen if we can`t vote out the perpetrators of this robbery scheme !

19. SignPainterGuy on June 28th, 2012 3:27 pm

In his response, Romney said the first thing he`d do once on office is repeal ObamaScare, but then went on to say he`d "replace it". That bugs me no end. I don`t want it replaced; I want the gooberment out of healthcare, insurance and our way – PERIOD !!

20. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 3:34 pm

Mrs. Will got the nephew on at her high tech medical co. and he was a temp for the loooongest time. And you're right, both Med/Med were originally designed as "supplemental programs" so how could they POSSIBLY qualify?

To be honest, I always figured at some point in my life I'd just stop filing altogether. If you're dividing your time between the West Coast and the Philippines ( exempt to $70k for ex-pats ) which is basically a Cash & Carry scenario, why bother?

Just never imagined it'd come so SOON?

21. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 3:39 pm

Again, personally, I'd like to don the rubber glove for each and every MD that allowed us to slide into this like so much Closing Time rough s_x. Oh and turn your head and COUGH on the doctor next to you will Nurse Visegrips checks you for a HERNIA.

All they ever complained about was it taking so long to collect from Medicare and the insurers. Other than THAT they were perfectly FINE with it, AND as we're seeing many now are electing to 'retire' early.

Which they pretty much PLANNED on any freaking way. Leaving us high and dry ( or not so ) was the end result regardless. Cabo here I come..!

22. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 3:59 pm

I am hearing some of the Doctors here at the military hospital wonder if the military coverage under tri-care will qualify or not. It would not surprise me if B.O. had the IRS deem tri-care as non-qualified to hit the troops with the tax. Hell, they are talking about forcing the troops (active duty) to start paying co-pays on medication and possibly doctors visits, so why not hit them with the tax as well.

23. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 4:00 pm

Hey M_W, The wife and I may be taking a trip down to Oregon in the next month or two. If it happens we will have to look you up while we are there. I wont know for certain for about another month, but will let you know more when I know something more difinitive.

24. Truesoldier__ on June 28th, 2012 4:03 pm

Medicare has always been the worst for collecting money from. Luckily in my department we dont have to deal with Medicare (our sister department does and complains endlessly about the delay tactics and we are a government entity ourselves so I can only imagine how bad the private sector is).

We see a fair share of delay tactics from teh insurance companies that coincidently seems to always come up right around the time for quarterly earning statements and then suddenly we get payment a few weeks after the quarterly statements…..

25. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 4:08 pm

There'll be a lot reassuring language, "firm resolve" to look after those that look after our country and…. BAM. Even in the guard we're bracing for it.

I'm easily visualizing huge swaths of ex-pats abdicating their U.S citizenship.

26. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 4:47 pm

Oh absolutely! We would invite that very much! That goes for any of the posters that might find themselves out this way.

Lord willing it will finally be 'Summer' down here. After a rousing start with May, June fell apart.

27. jeffythequick on June 28th, 2012 5:52 pm

SPG,

We had a discussion earlier… http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/06/28/

I am looking to put my son through medical school, so at least I have a doctor I can trust for my diabetes.

It may save my life.

28. jeffythequick on June 28th, 2012 6:11 pm

The last two days have been good. I can see the Olympics* from my desk.

(h/t Sarah Palin)

*mountains

29. backwoodsconsr on June 28th, 2012 6:29 pm

We're about to get a big dose of summer in SC. Triple digit temperatures for at least the next three days.

30. SignPainterGuy on June 28th, 2012 8:17 pm

We certainly don`t need Drs being unionized with the ability to strike.

I wish you and your Son the best of luck, him in med. sch. and you with your treatment. My BinL was a gen. surgeon until a few years ago when Malpractice ins. became totally unreasonable. He now is an ER Dr in a smaller hospital and may retire at the end of this year or next at about 70. Sis is semi-retired; I`m just Galting till Zero is gone, we get a decent gvner and some common sense biz reforms. I really hope THAT`s soon.

You mentioned yesterday you have a service dog ……. are you sight impaired ?

31. SignPainterGuy on June 28th, 2012 8:29 pm

Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) was on the afternoon talk show today and made an interesting few points; Justice Roberts strengthened, or preserved, the integrity of the SC by his swing vote. By doing so, the lefty media can`t scream that the court is just an R mouthpiece, illegitimate. Not his job, but it cuts the left off at the knees, in a sense.

By ruling that the Ind. Mandate is a tax, then the senate can defeat it much more easily with a simple majority vote; 51 instead of 60.

A mid-July date has already been set for a repeal vote.

32. SignPainterGuy on June 28th, 2012 10:16 pm

Ooo, great link; an O/B `12 ad and then a blank screen ……

"……when doctors went on strike, health outcomes were better." Dem. Rep. Jan Schacowski seems to be implying (just from that quote – that`s all I got since the vid didn`t play) that the Drs` service is so crappy that when they were out of service, health outcomes improved. No, I know that`s not what she meant to say, but dems come up with loonacy that works great on paper or in a vacuum, but we all know that there are myriad actions in play that effect outcomes that dems seem to exclude from their notions. We`re dealing with people and people are fantastically unpredictable !

I will try again later.

OK, got it to work, but nothing has changed ….. she still leaves it hanging. What conditions drove the Drs to strike ? What strike related change(s) caused the health outcomes to improve ? Is this just another case of dem spin ?

33. arche52 on July 2nd, 2012 7:22 pm

I think Roberts executed a "judo hip toss" over Obamatax. He believes the solution to voters voting in stupid people doing stupid things ISN'T something the Supreme Court deals with. That is OUR job and he just handed the whole mess, partially intact, back to us and our elected representatives as a tax! Now let's see what Obama, the Dems, and the rest of the Left will do?

So far, I've been reading a lot of liberals going from "RAH, Rah, rah, uh" to "WTF just happened!"

Roberts believes and reminds us it is our job not to vote in people who would rule us like serfs. But we do, they do, and then we all want Roberts or some other judge to make us stop like some kind of serial killer leaving a note to the police "stop me before I kill again." It isn't his job. That is our job.

We'll see how brave the Republicans are. Or how agile to make the new argument that Obamatax is a tax on everybody. Rubio did that within hours.