Fired? Hell no. Where Brian Ross works, what he did will probably earn him a promotion.

From Politico:

ABC News chief investigative correspondent Brian Ross will continue to cover the Colorado theater shooting for the network, despite his incorrect report early Friday morning drawing a possible connection between shooting suspect James Holmes and the Tea Party.

Ross reported on the shooting for Friday night’s edition of World News and again on Saturday’s edition of Good Morning America. A spokesperson with the network confirmed that Ross would continue to cover the fallout from the shooting for ABC.

While in Colorado, Ross is bound to see an anti Obama bumper sticker in the vicinity of Aurora. That should be enough for him to definitively re-connect the Tea Party to the theater shooting.

Comments

17 Responses to “Due to His Ability to Remain Objective While Reporting on Google-Searched Tea Party Members Who Happen to Have the Same Names as Mass Murderers, ABC News Confirms Brian Ross Will Continue to Cover the Colorado Shooting Story”

1. SignPainterGuy on July 22nd, 2012 2:07 am

That`s great news, Doug ! I`d hate to think that Brian Ross or ABCNews has either or collectively lost their objectivity ! (I almost got that out with a straight face)

How will Brian react and cover the confirmed rumor that his hero still thinks he`s the Joker and was spitting at the guards and on sewerside watch n kept in lone confinement to protect him from the other prisoners who have been entertaining themselves with plans to kill poor Mr. Holmes, the Not-a-tea-partier ?!

Or will he have to make up something more creative since Drudge has already linked to coverage of that ?

2. Doug on July 22nd, 2012 2:27 am

There hasn't been a news "report" in a long time that pissed me off as much as that one did. Just imagine if Brian Ross had "mistakenly" speculated that a Muslim might have pulled the trigger.

3. SignPainterGuy on July 22nd, 2012 2:34 am

There certainly would have been great wailing and gnashing of teeth …. from the producers. I`m sure CAIR would have been on the phone within minutes ! But, come on, be honest. Do you think Brian would have mentioned the mid-20s, raggedy bearded, turban-wearing, prayer-knotted, olive-skinned gent shooting the place up shouting "Allahu Akbar" was maybe, just maybe perhaps leaning a little toward the muslim faith…… do you ? Naw, he would have waited until 3 generations of dna tests had been completed before he breathed a word about it !

4. SignPainterGuy on July 22nd, 2012 2:40 am

3 posts in a row, I`d agree, You be pissed !

5. @towerclimber37 on July 22nd, 2012 9:37 am

It's now entertainment television and there's no reason to take em seriously. If I need to know what's going on I can always turn to fox news and be assured of ethical reporting.

6. clu seatoe on July 22nd, 2012 12:49 pm

Children learn at a very young age that parental silence is tacit approval. It’s not ACCEPTANCE because, “…well he’s only human after all, and if you don’t make mistakes you’re not trying…” it’s APPROVAL given to any specific issue.

Even to this day the MSM will not admit that the U.S. Army murders issue in Texas was perpetrated by one who believes and follows the edicts of the misogynistic, and pedophilia teachings of islam and refer to it in that context.

It’s FEAR or that lack of it that drives the MSM. NO FEAR from the Tea Party.

7. Dale on July 22nd, 2012 12:54 pm

Even if ABC fired Ross, there would always be a spot for him at MSNBC.

8. EBL on July 22nd, 2012 1:18 pm

Chicago's murder rate is double that of Aurora this month. Just saying. Don't they have gun control in Chicago? http://evilbloggerlady.blogspot.com/2012/07/while

9. Truesoldier__ on July 22nd, 2012 1:49 pm

I am still hoping that the TP Holmes will sue the crap out of ABC news and Ross. I would love to see them brought down….about 100 pegs.

10. mcmeador on July 22nd, 2012 7:18 pm

I think it should be pointed out the way Stephanolpoulos took to calling him "Jim" when no one else was calling him that to preface Ross's announcement that he found a Jim Holmes on a Tea Party web site. I don't think that was any mistake. It's as if he wanted to subtly suggest to viewers that Ross's "finding" was accurate. He lent legitimacy to the story by referring to James with a nickname that we had no evidence he actually used.

11. SignPainterGuy on July 22nd, 2012 8:30 pm

I can agree with your point, Geogrie Boy was seeking an edge, but to my personal experience, the vast majority of Jameses prefer to be called Jim and about equal numbers like the diminutive Jimmy and the formal James, so I wouldn`t just off-hand blame the diminutive Stuffinawfulos for assuming the TP James Holmes prefers or likes to be known as Jim.

12. jeffythequick on July 22nd, 2012 10:16 pm

That's preposterous, Doug, and you should know better.

A Muslim terrorists is just as likely as an Amish getting a speeding ticket.

How dare you denigrate the Religion of Peace.

/sarc

13. jeffythequick on July 22nd, 2012 10:19 pm

…or NPR

14. jeffythequick on July 22nd, 2012 10:21 pm

Snuffleupagus restrained from calling him Jimbo, Jim-Fo-Fanna-Danna, or just "bro"

15. mcmeador on July 23rd, 2012 12:42 am

Well I understand that it is a common nickname, but my point is that there was no reason to think that the James Holmes that shot up the theater went by Jim. It seemed that Stephanolpoulos decided to refer to him as Jim because the person they found on the Tea Party web site was listed as Jim Holmes. He wanted to subtly validate the supposed connection.

Now maybe I'm wrong…maybe Stephanolpoulos was referring to him as Jim throughout the entire broadcast. I can't seem to find a video or transcript of anything that came before it. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he only referred to him as Jim once they found the listing for a Jim Holmes on the Tea Party's web site.

16. mcmeador on July 23rd, 2012 1:28 am

Well I found about an hour's worth of the show on Hulu and skipped through to the parts where Stephanolpoulos was speaking. He repeatedly and consistently referred to the shooter as "James Holmes" throughout. It seems likely that he only referred to the shooter as "Jim Holmes" once a Jim Holmes was discovered on the Tea Party web site.

17. SignPainterGuy on July 23rd, 2012 2:45 pm

Well, bless you my friend ! You sat thru all that ……. intentionally ? Remember, curiosity killed the cat !? Was it just curiosity, or do you be gotz teh gluttons fer punishments ? ;-)

It`s fascinating to me that on one hand, for libs, competition is a dirty word and spirit and must be eliminated at every opportunity, but it is precisely competition that drives reporters to give inaccurate and incomplete info in their zeal to be first with the news !