The Mars rover Curiosity landed on the Red Planet early this morning, and the first picture just arrived:

Just a few months ago we read this:

Hey, I get it… we’ve got record numbers of EBT cards, disability claims and unemployment bennies to pay for.

But today The One is all about Mars:

Gutsy call.

Word is that Obama later called NASA to remind them “you didn’t land that!”

Comments

29 Responses to “Dueling Headlines, Mars Rover Edition”

1. Truesoldier__ on August 6th, 2012 12:52 pm

I am waiting for a picture of Obama in his SEAL Team 6 gear at the controls of the winch that lowered Curiosity to the surface.

2. backwoodsconsr on August 6th, 2012 12:53 pm

Jack Nicholson hardest hit.

3. Truesoldier__ on August 6th, 2012 12:55 pm

"And now Sheila Jackson Lee eagerly awaits Curiosity’s first photo of the flag Neil Armstrong planted on Mars."

Doug, I heard that Rep Hank Johnson (D-GA) is going to hold a press conference later today in which he will announce his concerns that by placing this rover on the surface of Mars without counter-balancing the other side of the planet may cause it to capsize….

4. Marshall_Will on August 6th, 2012 1:10 pm

Who knew Leading From Behind could span the dark corners of deep space? Oh, from the very Agency He's effectively gutted. Our Last Great Achievement In Space…

5. jeffythequick on August 6th, 2012 1:38 pm

BWC,

I think that I am hip on what the kids are saying nowadays, but this one totally got past me.

Jeffy

6. archer on August 6th, 2012 1:57 pm

“…drops funding for planetary science at NASA from $1.5 billion this year to $1.2 billion.”

300 million dollars?

Adjust the thermostats in the buildings and forego the resurfacing and restriping of NASA’s parking lots until next year and we’re good.

7. SignPainterGuy on August 6th, 2012 2:42 pm

I need elaboration as well !

8. SignPainterGuy on August 6th, 2012 2:45 pm

Oh, NOOOO, it`ll go spinning off center into the asteroid belt !

9. SignPainterGuy on August 6th, 2012 2:48 pm

I viewed Cape Canaveral on Google Earth a while back; BIG place …… LOTS of striping !

10. Truesoldier__ on August 6th, 2012 2:51 pm

Same here.

11. jeffythequick on August 6th, 2012 2:57 pm

Or… will collide with the Earth!

We need to spend $236 Trillion to find out whether this is an issue or not, and the rich have the most to lose, so we should tax them at 22,000%!

12. Marshall_Will on August 6th, 2012 3:06 pm

What makes the cutbacks a thing to be taken seriously, here we -truly- have America's Best & Brightest ( no, not YOU Chuckie Schumer! ) and they're seeing budget cuts at the SAME time we've had an absolute explosion in Foodstamps and SSDI claims..!?!?!?

What does that say about us as a society?

13. SignPainterGuy on August 6th, 2012 3:06 pm

Yes, I was considering that alternative; heading toward the Sun but hitting the Earth on the way. Yes, an opportunity to raise taxes on the rich ! Good catch !

I took the asteroid route as that would increase the fear factor; all those thousands, ppfffft, MILLIONS of nearly invisible orbs heading our way at trillions of miles per hour !!

14. SignPainterGuy on August 6th, 2012 3:22 pm

At the time that tax collections are falling seems the right time for gov. cutbacks, but I agree, the Best and Brightest need funding of the most important projects (let`s just be sure they ARE the "most" important). This admin. seems more interested in turning NASA into a mooslime outreach program and a major support org. for climate change proof !

15. Dexter_Alarius on August 6th, 2012 3:37 pm

Great.
    Now the AGW zealots will be able to point to the Mars SUV (Curiosity) as the reason the average temps on Mars are rising at the same rate as that on Earth.
    It's Globular Warming, interplanetary style!

16. sleet on August 6th, 2012 3:57 pm

"Mars Attacks!" movie reference? Nice!

17. jeffythequick on August 6th, 2012 4:19 pm

*pulling palm off of face*

Well done, sleet!

Jeffy-the-not-so-quick today… ;)

18. jeffythequick on August 6th, 2012 4:21 pm

by this time next year, Mars will be a molten ball of fire!!!

of course, unless we spend $883 Trillion to stop it before it's too late to save the unspecified future kids!

19. Marshall_Will on August 6th, 2012 4:33 pm

From sidebar:

"Gibson guitars fined $300k for having work done in the US that should have been done overseas:"

For those not perhaps familiar w/ fretted instruments, that process is highly personalized. The fret 'wires' themselves come in a number of different gauges, finishes and materials.

Since these were imported hardwoods ( for the fingerboards ) no doubt they were destined for high end guitars. Purely custom order type stuff. If you've ever played these knock-offs w/ cheesy Chinese etc. fretwork, they're basically unPLAYABLE. It takes YEARS for luthiers to master this craft. They need to "Level & Crown" the frets and if you go too deep, starting over isn't as easy as it sounds.

Question is, how did it become the role of government to tell these people 'how' to make their instruments? And which Obamabot in the Nashville plant narc'd them out..?

20. backwoodsconsr on August 6th, 2012 5:15 pm

What kids? I'm 53.

21. Truesoldier__ on August 6th, 2012 5:19 pm

Talk about ironic. Obama tries to bash Romney for "outsourcing" jobs while he is leveling fines against Gibson guitars for not outsourcind jobs.

I tried to play a lot of the Korean knock of basses while in Korea. Fretts were just horable. The wire was so tall that you needed to be Lou Farigno to be able to depress it far enough to get a good sound.

22. Marshall_Will on August 6th, 2012 5:53 pm

Well right ( and hope you had a good time in Korea? ) but have you ever shopped quotes for having your vintage Strat or prize bass re-fretted? DUDE, it would be cheaper just to BUY a whole new neck and BOLT it on!?

Quotes 'I' have been given flirt w/ $400 ( in many cases more than we paid for the guitar to BEGIN with! ) and… it'll take about 6 weeks and… if they damage the neck they're not liable blah blah. This Replace-it/Push-button world has gotten so bad I've considered going to school just to learn how I can do it MYSELF.

In the end, the Court/Obamastration are WRONG here! You can buy Chinese made "Mighty Mite" (TM) necks all DAY on Ebay etc. without any value added labor WHATsoever. So there's no Equal Protection Under the Law for Gibson! They're called "paddle necks" or "blanks" and you can drill the tuning post holes and shape/route your own custom headstock design. All for $149 bucks…

23. SignPainterGuy on August 6th, 2012 6:59 pm

That`n sailed right over our heads like a Frisbee. Nice !

24. backwoodsconsr on August 6th, 2012 7:15 pm
  25. SignPainterGuy on August 6th, 2012 9:05 pm

I am slappin` myself; that should`a been so obvious. I was thinking his Joker (before he became the Joker), "Here`s Johnny" from "The Shining". My mind was jumpin` all over but missed that completely. Face palm fer shur ! ;-)

The shame is, even after sleet announced it, I forgot the exact ending. (shaking head)

26. Truesoldier__ on August 7th, 2012 10:59 am

I have never priced having a refett done, but it does not surprise me. I had a really good time in Korea. Of course that was back before I even knew the mrs…..

27. SignPainterGuy on August 7th, 2012 2:13 pm

"…. before I even knew the Mrs ……" Careful now; that`s dangerous waters you`re treading ! ;-)

28. ChapBix on August 8th, 2012 12:10 am

In other news, Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee publicly declared her application (immediately accepted by the American people) to be the first female black astronut to travel to Mars in 2013 after she loses her re-election campaign.

29. ChapBix on August 8th, 2012 12:11 am

She stated she wanted to see first hand the American flag that previous astronauts planted there.