Of the pool of possible picks for Romney’s running-mate, Paul Ryan is a good choice. He’s proven in the past time and time again that he’s one of those rarest of politicians: One who has the gall to actually try to solve problems rather than just offer empty rhetoric or propose as a solution more of what caused the problem in the first place. The Wall Street Journal wrote that the Ryan pick “all but ensures the election will turn to deep philosophical divisions between the two parties over spending.” That’s a good thing.

Dems as usual will go into “Paul Ryan will get rid of Medicare and push old people off a cliff” mode, but they’d have done that no matter who the pick was. It was nice to see Romney confront this head-on instead of trying to avoid some controversy by choosing a more benign running-mate with no national record.

Speaking of that, some comedians on the left were out this morning trying to dismiss Ryan as having — get this — little significant private sector experience. Hahahaha! I guess that means he never organized communities. Also, some are saying Ryan lacks enough experience in Washington politics. Ryan is a seven term Representative. Obama was a US Senator for, what, two years? Oh, and I also heard somebody on TV this morning say that Ryan doesn’t have any foreign policy experience. Again… seriously people? Oh, and news flash… Paul Ryan is a white guy.

Downsides? Sure… in my opinion anyway. For example, Ryan reluctantly voted for the TARP bailouts while saying “this bill offends my principles but I’m going to vote for it to preserve my principles.” If that sounds familiar, it should. So… nobody’s perfect, but I think Romney made a pretty good choice all in all.

Prediction: At some point during Ryan’s debate with Biden in October, Pluggers will refer to him as “son” or “kid.”

Just for kicks, here’s a flashback to 2009 to a “round table” hosted by President Barack “I won” Obama where Paul Ryan completely dismantled the “health care law reduces spending” claim:

In fairness, Ryan is no fan of Romneycare either.

Comments

18 Responses to “Paul Ryan — a Good Choice”

1. Romney picks Ryan as VP - Page 2 - Christian Forums on August 11th, 2012 1:24 pm

[...] a nice article about the Paul Ryan choice for VP. "Paul Ryan — a Good Choice" Paul Ryan — a Good Choice : The Powers That Be snippet: Of the pool of possible picks for Romney’s running-mate, Paul Ryan is a good [...]

2. SignPainterGuy on August 11th, 2012 1:58 pm

Over the last weeks of talking this choice or that one, the pundits have had me really nervous. I`m still not sure of the grade of steel in Romney`s spine, so possible choices like Portman, Pawlenty, Christie and others gave me nearly the same queasy feeling I got listening to McLame order his aides to speak kindly of Obama. We DO NOT need another squish.

I am so thankful we have now a VP candidate who can direct the Pres. candidate toward strong stands on issues Mitt is weakish on !

3. Granny55 on August 11th, 2012 2:15 pm

This is a great pick! And I don't think Romney is going to put a muzzle on him either like McLame did with Palin. I have always liked Ryan. Better yet he knows what rats need to be booted from the agencies within the administration.

And now if Mitt would only give us some hints at who might make up his administration:

Mark Levin – AG for starters
    Liz Cheney – Homeland Security
    John Bolten – Sec. of State
    Sarah Palin – New combined Depts. of Interior/EPA/Energy – She would clean house!!!

Anyone got any more suggestions???

4. SignPainterGuy on August 11th, 2012 2:20 pm

Well, I guess any reservations I may have had toward Ryan are now washed away; Obama calls him "radical and extreme" ! Isn`t that like the best endorsement there is ?

5. SignPainterGuy on August 11th, 2012 2:52 pm

Glad to hear from more mid-westerners about Ryan; I know too little about him, but am being reminded of good points I`d shelved.

Your choice of Liz Cheney as HS Sec. has me curious as why; she`s a near-blank slate to me. What makes her stand out to you, Granny ?

6. Granny55 on August 11th, 2012 3:58 pm

Please don't tell me you think Janet Napaltonio is doing a good job? Just throwing out names – I like Liz Chaney – she is a patriot when it comes to protecting this country.

Paul Ryan is a complete A+ for this ticket.

7. joyannaadams on August 11th, 2012 4:44 pm

Wow…Mitt made the best choice…I love that video, when in the beginning you can tell Obama, who probably has never balanced his own checkbook, gets lost, and when Ryan says.."we differ" watch his face. He gets mad…and then the fingers come up across his face. To me the video shows just how little Obama knows about economics. He is completely befuddled.

Paul Ryan…will be able to articulate what Mitt Romney has a hard time doing: passion for the truth.

This is a GOOD day. FINALLY…some hope.

8. SignPainterGuy on August 11th, 2012 7:17 pm

Good golly, Miss Molly, NOOOOO, I DO NOT think Nappy Jan is good at anything, especially at the job of keeping us safe from invaders and illegals. She can`t tell the truth; she can`t tell the difference between muslim terrorists (misunderstood in her book) and peaceful small-gov. Tea Partiers (violent extremists to her) and not-at-all-dangerous infants and granny women who want to fly.

No Granny, I was afraid I might not have worded that right; I just don`t know much about Liz and hoped you could / would fill me in (I like what little I DO know about her and I always liked her Hubs). I want to hear your opinion.

9. Rosalie on August 11th, 2012 8:39 pm

Recently, Lis Cheney impressed me. When her father was critical of McCain choosing Palin because he felt she wasn't ready to be VP, Liz Cheney defended Palin, and said Palin had more experience than O and Biden. Although I don't know much about her, I liked her for that.

10. backwoodsconsr on August 11th, 2012 9:10 pm

The times I've heard her speak out about the issues she has been impressive. It wouldn't surprise me to see her become president someday. She is no lightweight.

11. SignPainterGuy on August 11th, 2012 11:43 pm

It seems there`s only a few on the right who aren`t really happy with Ryan as VP; the rest are very well pleased. I think I am as well. The more I read, the more confident I become that he CAN and WILL take the media`s gotcha crap with ease and in stride and hit them back with bean-balls ! This should be SOOO SWEET …. for a change ! That right there makes him the balance to Romney, IMO.

All this objecting from the left is just great endorsement for him ! They only THINK they hate him now ! Wait till after the VP debates !

12. Marshall_Will on August 12th, 2012 3:44 am

Personally ( I could have 'preferred' the ticket REVERSED but I'm just a relic to begin with? ) A descendant of Cook County's LONE Republican.., stuck in Blue State OREGON…

This is OVER. Can we use all that "The VA is in your corner!" thinly veiled camPAIN propaganda littering my damned mailbox over the last three months as confetti for their victorious ticket tape parade?

Just trying to be green…

13. Marshall_Will on August 12th, 2012 3:55 am

The inevitable demise of The Professional Left reminds us more of the last 10 minutes of "Casino" with each passing each day. Someone que The House of the Rising Sun. How fitting.

NOT that we advocate that brand of violence here at the PTB but in the end, Pro/Regressives were simply victims of their own 'success'. Anyone happen to catch Brett Baier's most excellent Special last night..?

14. Granny55 on August 12th, 2012 11:11 am

Agree completely Joyann and I am thrilled that the libtard media are pi$$ing their pants. And that Paul Ryan makes Zero glare at him and get under his thin skin is just another plus. Ryan is going to be able to really expose Zero/Biden for the complete failures that they are.

oh happy day – let's get ready to rumble!!!

15. Granny55 on August 12th, 2012 11:25 am

Because it is Sunday and I am so pleased with the Ryan VP pick.

16. Truesoldier__ on August 12th, 2012 5:31 pm

The above video is just one reason why Paul Ryan is a great guy to have on the ticket (and part of the reason why Obama calls his a "radical")

Paul Ryan understands budgeting and the BS gimmicks that Obama tried in ObamaTax. Prior to the bill even being passed Ryan had said that it would cost around $2.2 trillion (as he stated in the above video) and what do you know he was pretty much right on the mark:

Ryan figured this out just by looking at the blueprint for ObamaTax.

17. Obama bin Biden on August 13th, 2012 10:56 am

Ryan took apart Obama and ObamaCare in 6 minutes.

18. SignPainterGuy on August 13th, 2012 9:44 pm

Could`a been a Ginsu commercial ?

"It slices and dices like Paul Ryan on ObamaScare !!"