The funniest part of the story is that they think this will be a tourist attraction:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit popping Dramamine:

She was an attorney at a big Chicago law firm. He was a Harvard Law student who landed a job there as a summer associate. He was immediately smitten. She wasn’t so sure. But he won her over, and the couple sealed their budding romance with a kiss at the Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop in Hyde Park.

So goes the story of how Michelle and Barack Obama fell in love in 1989. And on Wednesday, a historical marker went up at the corner of Dorchester Avenue and 53rd Street noting the exact location where the couple had their first smooch.

A quote from President Obama, taken from an interview published in “O, The Oprah Magazine” in February 2007, is inscribed beneath an embedded photo of the couple.

“On our first date, I treated her to the finest ice cream Baskin-Robbins had to offer, our dinner table doubling as the curb. I kissed her, and it tasted like chocolate.”

As landscapers added the finishing touches, placing orange impatiens around the boulder placed in a flower bed near the entrance of the Dorchester Commons shopping center, curious residents trickled by to snap pictures.

The 3,000-pound granite boulder, commissioned by the owners of Dorchester Commons, was 2 1/2 years in the making, according to Jonelle Kearney, a spokeswoman for Mid-America Asset Management, which manages the shopping center. She said the idea came about after several queries from visitors.

“It’s a marker for the community, for posterity and tourism, too,” she said.

Chris Matthews has already begun his pilgrimage to the site.

I read a comment somewhere that asked, “is this North Korea?”

Worth noting: Baskin-Robbins, purported location of Barack & Michelle’s first date, is operated by Dunkin’ Brands, Inc, which is now owned by… Bain Capital. Heh.

Update: The location of the monument is being questioned:

(h/t Gateway Pundit)

Comments

14 Responses to “Make it Stop: Memorial Erected in Chicago at Location of Barack and Michelle Obama’s First Kiss”

1. jeffythequick on August 16th, 2012 2:45 pm

Doug, please warn us before posting this… I'm eating lunch here.

Tasted like chocolate? Did Plugs give him that line, or was this a composite girlfriend that later became MO?

2. Truesoldier__ on August 16th, 2012 3:13 pm

How long do you think it will be until some Dem congresscritter puts forth a bill to make this a national landmark?

3. Marshall_Will on August 16th, 2012 4:03 pm

Actually? I'm thinking WE should push for that. Let it serve as a constant reminder to local taxpayers ( who'll no doubt get stuck w/ the bill ) what it was like having a composite pResident.

And I'm none too sure how enamored any of us are supposed to be about a "first kiss" from an openly self-admitted First Gay pResident? What is then a shrine to? Let's call it… My First Mass Deception.

4. SignPainterGuy on August 16th, 2012 4:11 pm

Beautiful irony, Doug, "The place is owned by Bain Capital". Ha haaa ! Does that qualify as "PWND" ?

5. Jimbo on August 16th, 2012 9:58 pm

What kind of creepy perv tells people what his wife "tastes" like? Keep your nasty to yourself.

6. jeffythequick on August 17th, 2012 12:54 am

Next, it'll be where Malia and Sasha were conceived (in vitro, I suppose…),

Can we also not have headlines about where BO and MO first kissed, and the erections that mark the location?

7. jeffythequick on August 17th, 2012 1:09 am

just to be sure, my whining is all in fun…

8. jeffythequick on August 17th, 2012 1:15 am

I like this kid! (from the article…)

Fifteen-year-old Justen Jackson, a ninth-grader at Hyde Park Academy, said it would be hard to find a girl who would be impressed with a first date at an ice cream shop.

"It's nice, but I wouldn't bring anyone here on a first date," Justen said. "They're going to want to go somewhere better than Subway or Baskin-Robbins."

9. jeffythequick on August 17th, 2012 1:42 am

Funniest responses:

Where is the rock for Obama getting to 2nd base located?

How touching. And to think, it was a only a mere 19 years later that, for the first time in her adult lifetime, Michelle was proud of America.

Is there a marker for when he took his first dollar from Tony Rezko?

Hawaii is placing a historical marker at the site where Obama smoked his first doobie.

and ate his first puppy.

Really? gag me! Wonder if there is a plaque under the oval office desk for Clinton?
    (I wonder if this guy gets the double entendre he just made…)

Reagan has statues built of him where he helped countries like Poland out from under communism. Obama and the sycophants create these monuments of idiocy for what purpose again?

10. jeffythequick on August 17th, 2012 2:56 am

I think he's co-opting (like he did with Presidents Coolidge-Bush-43) the George Washington slept here meme…

Not quite the same emotions when I see things like this: http://hookedonhouses.net/2012/04/15/george-washi

11. Marshall_Will on August 17th, 2012 12:11 pm

Your best post to date..!

They're desperately trying to recuscitate that old rockstar mojo he held in '08. So let not us focus on the utter MESS we're in!? Instead we'll divert the remaining O'bots attention to where he first slipped Moochelle the tongue.

And knowing Slick Willie's sense of vanity ( how do YOU know there isn't a plaque under the desk? )

12. SignPainterGuy on August 17th, 2012 1:41 pm

With Zero`s propensity to prop his feet on the furniture, he`s probably kicked that`n off by now !

13. SignPainterGuy on August 17th, 2012 2:12 pm

Doug, what is up with the comment / login thing ? It wants me to login every comment !

Is your server having fits ?

14. jeffythequick on August 17th, 2012 2:37 pm

My best post to date is a high bar to get over…

…like the bar in the subway when I'm at street level…