If the Shepard Fairey’s poster was at one time a symbol of the mythical Hope and Change, then this story is symbolic of that entire facade crumbling down around them:

Federal prosecutors want Shepard Fairey, the artist who created the Barack Obama “Hope” poster, to serve time in prison following his misdemeanor conviction for destroying and fabricating documents in connection with a civil lawsuit over the iconic campaign image.

In advance of Friday’s scheduled sentencing of Fairey in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, the Department of Justice has filed a memorandum arguing that a prison term for the 42-year-old artist would be “appropriate.”

However, prosecutors did not specify how long Fairey should be incarcerated (though, statutorily, his punishment would not exceed six months). Additionally, government lawyers have contended that Judge Frank Maas could fine Fairey up to $3.2 million.

“A sentence without any term of imprisonment sends a terrible message to those who might commit the same sort of criminal conduct,” wrote prosecutor Daniel Levy in a September 2 memo. “Encouraging parties to game the civil litigation system…creates terrible incentives and subverts the truth-finding function of civil litigation.”

The guy should have run guns illegally into Mexico and he’d have gotten off scot-free. Oh well… somebody’s got to pay for Obama’s mess — sure ain’t gonna be Obama. At least not until November. Might as well blame the poster guy.

Comments

16 Responses to “Department of Justice Seeks Jail Time for ‘Hope’ Poster Artist”

1. RDrF452 on September 6th, 2012 6:02 pm

Please someone photoshop the new 2012 poster edition to read 'NOPE'.

2. Marshall_Will on September 6th, 2012 6:05 pm

+1 !

Curtis Quico Reed · Top Commenter · University of Costa Rica, San Jose
    The “public shaming” that “will now be a permanent scarlet letter for Shepard to wear” started when he supported Obama!

Couldn't have said it better myself. And a PTB first! A link to TheSmokingGun. It was bound to happen as this circus descended into the sublime. Can we suggest the pillory for Mr. Fairey?

3. archer on September 6th, 2012 7:11 pm

Amanda Fairey, the artist’s spouse,…“feared that making the poster would not be good for Shepard’s career. But, she added, her husband “looked me in the eye and said to me that the reason he would be doing this was for our daughter’s future, not his career."

Well, OK then. Let’s git’r done.

Hard lesson to learn about someone you married and thought you knew. Sweetie, what we’re talking about here has nothing to do with “making” the poster. The poster has been “made” for years. Look to something other than his concern.

4. SignPainterGuy on September 6th, 2012 7:41 pm

The irony is totally lost on this bunch, they have gamed every system and are openly encouraging people to do even more !

I lost the story behind the poster deal; did he copy someone else`s work ? The conviction was for destroying documents – Gee Whiz, our Nation`s TOP law enforcement officer, Holder, has destroyed more documents than I have ever seen and has escaped punishment ! Is this guy on the hot seat only because he messed with the dems ? I`m sorta confused !

5. Truesoldier__ on September 6th, 2012 7:42 pm

Do you think that they will make him where a scarlet "O" on his lapel?

6. Truesoldier__ on September 6th, 2012 7:44 pm

When you make a deal with the devil, you should expect to get burned.

7. SignPainterGuy on September 6th, 2012 7:49 pm

Yes you should, but that hinges on First realizing it IS the devil you`re dealing with ! Look how many think WE are not only on the side of the devil, but may actually BE the devil !!

8. Marshall_Will on September 6th, 2012 8:25 pm

No different than OWS'er David C. Gorczynski whom hardly a month ago was charged w/ Bank Robbery in Easton, PA. His atty. said he was a "performance artist" and was 'annoying', that's all!

Fairey's criminal involvement stems from his basically photoshopping an AP photo, being confronted about it and then trying destroy the paper trail. So like Martha Stewart and Dennis Kozlowski, I see a real inconsistent application of the law.

9. Marshall_Will on September 6th, 2012 8:26 pm

Spoken like a true Dad! ( How many daughters do you have..? )

10. Marshall_Will on September 6th, 2012 8:30 pm

I realize mine is an extreme view in this regard but I'm struggling to understand how Bammie supporters should be treated any different than collaboraters in WWII.

Particularly those that profitted from his pResidency. Sorry guys, just how I feel.

11. SignPainterGuy on September 6th, 2012 9:37 pm

Ah yes, if you are a sycophant lib just doin` yer thang, they`ll protect you to the Gates of Hell, but if you cross a dim, well, that`s different, yer dead meat !

I couldn`t remember the details, I thought there was some work-stealin` be hapnin` there, compounded by paper trail eliminatin` !

As it was explained to me, and I`ve done it successfully for nearly 30 years, if a customer asks me to make him a car tag with the Coke logo on it, I can and as accurately as possible, BUT, I CAN NOT make a bunch of them or make one and put it on my shelf for sale ! THAT would get the patent / copyright lawyers down on me with jack boots !

12. Marshall_Will on September 6th, 2012 10:35 pm

Ah yes, if you are a sycophant lib just doin` yer thang,

Or antagonzing Conservative just-a-bloggers w/ lawfare like Brett Kimberlin or revealing MM's -personal- residence on the internet for every whackjob on the planet to see or…

Yeah, then you're just 'expressing' yourself. Interesting point you bring up though, it's being handled almost as if Teh Wun's likeness were sacred or something?

13. jeffythequick on September 7th, 2012 1:31 am

Dear Idiot,

You're no longer useful.

Best wishes,

O

14. SignPainterGuy on September 7th, 2012 2:00 am

It has looked that way, sacred and to be worshipped ! Thank goodness SOME of them are waking up !

15. SignPainterGuy on September 7th, 2012 2:02 am

Precisely that heartlessly, if not even more cisely !

16. jeffythequick on September 7th, 2012 8:05 pm