Hey, most of the Dems’ “Forward™” convention revolved around a president from the 1990′s, so why not soundtrack it with a band from the same decade:

“R.E.M.’s ‘Losing My Religion’ was used in the Fox News coverage of the Democratic National Convention last night,” a statement on the R.E.M. HQ website said. “R.E.M. today, through its music publisher, Warner-Tamerlane Music, demanded that Fox News cease and desist from continuing its unlicensed and unauthorized use of the song.”

“We have little or no respect for their puff adder brand of reportage,” lead singer Michael Stipe said. “Our music does not belong there.”

I guess REM’s music only belongs on solid, serious, unbiased outlets such as MSNBC.

Considering God got booed at the Democratic convention, Losing My Religion was a pretty fitting choice by Fox News. But hey, if that’s the way REM wants it, fine, scrap Losing My Religion for all remaining re-elect Obama events and use songs that better describe the state of this administration and economy — such as The End of the World as We Know It and Everybody Hurts.

Hey, when did John Malkovich join REM?

Comments

9 Responses to “REM Told Fox News to Stop Playing ‘Losing My Religion’ During Dems Convention”

1. @ObamaHerpDerp on September 7th, 2012 6:10 pm

"Reportage"?? That is a big word for Michael 'Gripe"!!

2. Marshall_Will on September 7th, 2012 6:20 pm

Puff adder? Lighten up..!

Yeah went thru this when Michele Bachman played "American Girl" at her events when it was determined by Jimmy Fallon "Lyin' Azz B!tch" was more… appropriate. Fact we go thru this EVERY election.

Fact checkers, to any of our recall, has a band or performer refused the use of their material for a Dem Approved (TM) candidate? I guess my question to REM; What DOES qualify as an appropriate use of your (1) hit?

Is it OK if Dem's play it?

3. Doug on September 7th, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm guessing people like Hank Williams, Jr. or Ted Nugent would object to MSNBC using their music, but it's not like we'll ever get a chance to find out.

4. jeffythequick on September 7th, 2012 6:48 pm

Unlicensed?

I'm pretty sure that Fox pays the licensing fee to Warner for the use of the music, or ASCAP,, BMI, or whomever the cartel is that owns the licensing to your music.

Michael Stipe, if you're really serious, tear up the check that Fox sends you, and if they're truly violating your copyright, sue them. Put your money where your mouth is, jerk.

5. Ken on September 7th, 2012 7:23 pm

Dude is a dick. Can have his idiot opinions, but if you do not agree with him, than he does not respect you. Typical lib dbag….

6. Marshall_Will on September 7th, 2012 8:18 pm

Rebel Without a Clue
    Tom Petty wants Michele Bachmann to quit using his song. Can he make her?

Michele Bachmann Every major Republican candidate for president eventually runs into the same problem: Musicians and songwriters are overwhelmingly liberal*, and they don't like it when their songs get used at GOP campaign events. After Rep. Michele Bachmann took the stage to Tom Petty's "American Girl," Monday, the musician's lawyers sent the campaign a cease-and-desist order to stop using the song. Petty was similarly unenthused when George W. Bush used "I Won't Back Down," in 2000, and the rock band Heart was none-too-pleased when Sarah Palin adopted "Barracuda" as her theme song. Does this mean Bachmann has to find a new song?

Not if the campaign has the correct license. Petty doesn't personally approve every use of his music.

7. Marshall_Will on September 7th, 2012 8:25 pm

*Songwriters may be "overwhelmingly liberal" but uh… most musicians "I" know work off good old meritocracy! If you S@ck, GTF off my stage!

They want only the best up there, or producing/promoting them. And they don't have time for stoned out clueless train wrecks either. This is about money. My experience has been that's just the 'impression' they like to leave on their audience. And as I noted from the Joe Walsh gig just 2 weeks ago ( a lot of them are dropping that facade too )

Joe quipped, "I used to have groupies… ( now I have GRANDMA'S for groupies! ) Oh Well..?"

Their audience has aged ( read grown up ) They have bills pay taxes and put kids thru college. Do they want to hear they are 'evil' because they didn't OD?

8. Granny55 on September 7th, 2012 8:28 pm

You know watching that video was an exact replay of the DNC! Unorganized and losing their actual religion, literally – what is he bitching about?

9. Dale on September 8th, 2012 12:26 am

Have these asshats even sold an album in the last 15 years? I though they sucked when I was in college in the late 80's. They should be thankful that their music is even being played as bumper music on news shows.