The left’s going to go crazy over this one, which means it’ll be a lot of fun:

Mitt Romney described almost half of Americans as “dependent upon government” during a private reception with donors this year and said those voters were likely to support President Obama because they believe they are “entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it.”

The blunt political and cultural assessment by the Republican presidential candidate offers a rare glimpse into Mr. Romney’s personal views as the campaign enters its final 50 days. Liberals quickly condemned the remarks as insensitive, and Mr. Obama’s campaign accused him of having “disdainfully written off half the nation.”

Here’s the video:

Liberals will get on him for the “I don’t care about them” line (an unfortunate phrasing for which Romney is prone), but in this case Romney’s talking about caring about winning their votes — not that I expect the Dems to keep any of this in context. They’ll also no doubt hammer on the “47 percent don’t pay federal income tax” part (predicted Democrat response to that: “Don’t Republicans want lower taxes?”) For the most part though Romney’s just pointing out the painfully obvious.

As far as Romney’s numbers go, liberals might condemn this as insensitive, but they can’t condemn it as untrue. Last year, almost 50% of all Americans lived in a household that had at least one member who received some sort of government benefit, and which candidate is this group more likely to vote for?

When it comes down to it, there will be lots of noise over this but it’ll be much ado about nothing. The Republican/conservative base will dig it, and the left won’t vote for him anyway — partly for the reasons Romney described… thereby proving Mitt’s point in the process. And if the talking heads are correct and the election will hinge on independent undecideds, Romney is actually complimentary towards them in the video, calling them “thoughtful.”

Speaking of the undecideds, I disagree with Romney that “independent undecided voters” this year are open minded analytical thinkers. At this point how in the world can you be undecided between Romney and Obama? “Gee, I like capitalism, but socialism has some good points too.” I don’t understand how that’s in any way “thoughtful.”

I’ve read that Romney will speak at some point about these remarks very soon. He shouldn’t retreat at all — clarify if necessary, but embrace the facts, don’t run from them.

Obama’s people welcome this video, but only because it will aid them in their effort to distract people from the failed domestic and foreign policy of the guy who’s been in the White House since 2009 with little to show for it except $5 trillion in new debt, a foundering economy and a Middle East that’s burning the American flag and killing our diplomats because they have so much more respect for America than they did before The One arrived on the scene.

Comments

32 Responses to “Romney Recorded at Fundraiser: Let’s Face it, Almost Half of Voters Will Go For Obama Simply Because They Feel Entitled to Health Care, Food and Housing”

1. archer on September 18th, 2012 2:06 am

“Obama’s people welcome this video,”…

The 47% don’t care about a $5 Trillion debt, the 47% don’t care about what’s happening in the Middle East with the American flags or the decline of America’s status.

All the 47% care about is keeping those federal direct deposits coming, keeping the cable connected, getting the next bag of weed or crack, keeping the fridge stocked with beer, and getting to the welfare office when necessary.

I was in a group of people over the last weekend that, when I voiced concern over Israel’s current circumstances, sat there in total silence with dumbfounded faces and didn’t have a clue about current events related to Israel with regard to Iran. They get their news from MSM.

These are Zero’s constituents. These are “Obama’s people,” in all respects.

Who’s your Daddy 47%?

2. SignPainterGuy on September 18th, 2012 3:48 am

"…. with dumbfounded faces and didn`t have a clue …."

It starts at home and in grade school (or is that scool ?) with being mis-educated …. intentionally.

I asked my buddy`s son about national and world events, geography and science. He was up on math and computers, but the other stuff was uninteresting junk to him ……. he didn`t have a clue. He was pretty lacking in English and grammar skills too ! His fave cable news source; Bloomberg or CNBC.

3. US Citizen on September 18th, 2012 5:41 am

I am an independent, undecided voter. The reasons come down to different issues.

I support capitalism, and free markets, and smaller government. I oppose the "entitlement" mentality where people feel that the government should give them free goods and services.

I also support secularism, and keeping religion and religious positions on issues, OUT of our government. ALL religions. I oppose ANY religion's rules getting the force of law, regardless of which.

I support science, I oppose pseudo-science.

On the whole "global warming" thing, I am a moderate. I disagree with the "ZOMG the sky is falling we have to spend every last penny even if it bankrupts everyone", but at the same time, I support R&D into new means of generating energy, more efficiently, less costly. I oppose excessive restrictions, regulations, or taxes on current energy technology.

If I could vote for Romney's economic and energy policy, but Obama's social policy, I would. But I am given no such option. I'm still waiting for either candidate to convince me I should vote for them.

4. connie on September 18th, 2012 7:21 am

I vote 4 energy. If the $50 billion sent to countries who hate us, to buy energy, was spent here, just imagiine the economy then! That is the only thing I need to know when voting!!! ENERGY ~ MR will change the current admin's stand on domestic energy. Maybe then I can find a job and get off the UE benefit!!

5. Truesoldier__ on September 18th, 2012 11:13 am

Very well thought out post. I would note a few things. I am not certain what type of education you have had, but I would like to make the suggestion that you do some research on our Founding Father's. I think you will be suprised to find out just how much this country was founded on the belief in God (without forcing that belief in God).

Secondly, you mention Obama's social policy is something you like. One thing I would mention is that Obama's social policy is ever evolving….depending on which group of voters he is trying to secure. Prior to the 2008 election he was for gay marraige, during the 2008 election he was against it and now he has come full circle back to supporting it. Not much of a principled stance on that issue.

For the most part, Conservatives believe in leaving people alone, staying out of their bedrooms and lives as we believe you can better decide these things for yourself.

6. Marshall_Will on September 18th, 2012 11:17 am

Sounds a bit conflicted. One cannot support "smaller government" AND "Obama's social policy" at the same time. Bill Whittle at IowaHawk already blew holes in the Eat The Rich math.

The $'s to support Bamahandouts has to come from somewhere?

7. Marshall_Will on September 18th, 2012 11:25 am

"I was in a group of people over the last weekend that,"

And as MM would say; "But WE are the 'dumb' ones!?" I'd differ only in that your, A Bag A Week ( that's all we ask! ) crowd isn't even registered and probably never HAVE been.

Doug's right, the Left will absolutely wear themselves out on this one and not win over (1) single Undecided. Besides defining nothingburger, Mitt is simply stating the ugly facts. He needs to ignite the base to a point where we're actively recruiting our Indy friends and co-workers.

What better way than to share, our margin of error on this one could be razor thin to START with?

8. Marshall_Will on September 18th, 2012 11:32 am

Oh now this is just too MUCH!

MOSCOW, Idaho (AP) — The pilot of an airplane flying over a Republican party gathering had been dropping rolls of toilet paper before it crashed, killing the pilot, authorities in Idaho said.

The Federal Aviation Administration says early indications are that the experimental airplane stalled or reached a speed and angle at which it lost its lift.

The crash
    Saturday afternoon killed the pilot, 60-year-old Randy Humble, of Moscow, Idaho.

Witnesses say the airplane's engine revved and the pilot appeared to be trying to pull up just before it crashed near Viola, Idaho.

Humble and another pilot had been performing aerial tricks for the GOP fundraising event. Humble was also dropping rolls of toilet paper, but it's not clear why.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating with the help of the FAA.

So is this Mitt's fault or Bush's?

9. jeffythequick on September 18th, 2012 12:39 pm

US Citizen,

There comes in our lives a time for choosing, and now is that time. When we do, we must prioritize what we believe in, and the impact that it will have on our lives. A (rather crude) analogy would be, do I change the baby's diaper now, or get out of the burning building (with the baby), and change it later?

We are at that point, and events eventually will overtake us, and we will no longer be able to make a choice, like Greece is at now.

We can stop spending money on all the things that we want to have, like welfare and eco-pie-in-the-sky projects, and let the free market decide whether these things are needed…

As a side note, what purpose was there for a telephone 140 years ago? I mean, everyone that you needed to talk to was in town (we didn't really have distributed families like now), we had the telegraph, and the mail to communicate. There weren't ICBM's that we needed to make a call to launch, and things moved at a slower pace. When Bell invented the telephone, he created the market for it, not the government. So, will it be for future power. However, the cost of power now makes it harder for those who have great ideas to bring them to fruition.

As for welfare, in 1964, before the "Great Society", the percentage of people in poverty in this country was approximately the same, however the black population had a lower divorce rate than whites, and the family was, and still is, the key to getting out, as well as dealing with, poverty. Welfare, by design, destroys that. If we eliminated welfare, I seriously doubt there would be riots in the street. That's not the kind of people Americans are. I honestly think that people will think, "Hey, I need to work to get food now? That sucks, but I guess I better get to work."

For all of the social policies that Mr. Obama has, what good is it if 2, 3, or 22 people can get married, if there is no work? For me, the time to make social policies is when the economy is good, and if you're a member of an "oppressed" (whatever that means) class, it's a lot easier to make a change when things are going well than when you have to choose whether to buy groceries or pay the cable company (yes, the poor have big screen tv's in this country.)

You will have to choose this November, and your choices are:
    4 More Years of this crapola
    A person that has demonstrated the ability to turn things around
    Third Party
    Not voting, or as I put it, "the coward's way out."

10. jeffythequick on September 18th, 2012 12:42 pm

Did the TP have mis-conjugated phrases on it, per the Democrat playbook?

Given his desire to use his first amendment right to the fullest, expect a Presidential Medal of Freedom, post houmous.

11. Truesoldier__ on September 18th, 2012 12:55 pm

So far it looks like Mitt is taking Doug's advice and sticking to the comments, but clarifying them a bit.

This is just one more way Romney can distiguish the difference between him and Obama.

12. Truesoldier__ on September 18th, 2012 12:58 pm

This may just do it. To be quite honest, most of the indy's and mod Dems that I know are tired of knowing they are working 40+ hours a week so they can afford to by processed chicken breasts and ramen noodles at the grocery store while the chap behind them has T-bone steaks and lobsters that he pays for with a food stamp debit card.

13. jeffythequick on September 18th, 2012 1:04 pm

I thought it was the concise answers.

14. Truesoldier__ on September 18th, 2012 1:06 pm

More from the same video tapped fund raiser that the left will go bat sh!t over…mainly because it is true:

"I'm torn by two perspectives in this regard," Romney said at a $50,000-per-plate fundraising dinner on May 17. "One is the one which I've had for some time, which is that the Palestinians have no interest whatsoever in establishing peace, and that the pathway to peace is almost unthinkable to accomplish."

15. Patti on September 18th, 2012 1:17 pm

@ US Citizen

This is a *on the ground report* from Chicago….written by a friend of mine, who lives there.
    Be sure to read the comments, too…here's one:

ebayer says:
    2012/09/13 at 3:58 pm (Quote)

It was intuitively obvious, to even the most casual observer, that Obama was a shuck and jive Presidential candidate in ’08.

Read more http://hillbuzz.org/prominent-members-of-chicago-

16. Marshall_Will on September 18th, 2012 1:19 pm

Oh they may not come right out and SAY it ( although some have ) but that's what this election really boils down to. It's all fine and well to hold high minded ideals when the economy is rocking!

You've lived in both but I really credit the dot.com boom of the 90's w/ so much of the Prog-generated messes we're facing in SF/SEA and PDX right now. When you're stock portfolio went up by $35k in the time it took you to hit the gym, shower up and get back to work..?

It made them feel so empowered to be able to afford to be generous just like their (then) idols like Bill Gates, Larry Ellison of Oracle etc. So yeah, making 3rd Gender restrooms mandatory, at the time, seemed like a 'priority'.

Ahem, in the last (4) years the avg. American HAS NOT: Taken a REAL vacation, bought a new car or done ANYTHING but "feel lucky" to maintain the payments on the stuff they already HAVE. They've had a glimpse now at "social justice", and it doesn't look much like JUSTICE to them!?

17. archer on September 18th, 2012 1:39 pm

I’m not quite sure I get your point but, if you’re chiding me for not laying out the whole Capitalism vs. Socialism arguments or not bringing everybody in the room up to speed on the worlds international events there are many reasons why that wouldn’t have been appropriate in that it wasn’t what the meeting was for and I wasn’t the moderator.

I do, however, agree that Romney et al gives many people too much credit for having the “think for yourselves” intellect or the “think it through and follow the path of all the implications” capabilities and has shown few cheerleader qualities.

Or, it maybe that the Zero et al approach is to appeal only to the baser instincts of the Pavlovian approach to get his followers.

Or, a bit of both. Either way seems elitist.

18. Truesoldier__ on September 18th, 2012 1:39 pm

And those of us who have taken real vacations are looked down upon by the liberals as "the evil rich", even when we are no where near rich. It never quite registers with them that there are those of us who plan for the bad times and can weather the storm fairly well. We cut back on the day tto day expenses that so many of the masses believe are a neccesity (i.e. the daily cup of Starbucks, the new iPhone, etc), so that we do have the money to take a nice trip and recharge so we can go back to work and be our best.

19. Truesoldier__ on September 18th, 2012 1:44 pm

So do you think they will go after Leno the same way they have gone after Mitt?

JAY LENO: Well, according to the Labor Department, unemployment fell from 8.3 to 8.1 percent last month. But that was because only, that's because, rather, 368,000 Americans gave up looking for work. And today, President Obama said that's a step in the right direction, and he is encouraging more Americans to give up looking for work so the numbers will come down a little bit.

20. @keyboardjockey1 on September 18th, 2012 1:58 pm

Mitt Romney up to bat, liberal media pitches “Switch Up”

The liberal media is predictable, trying to distract from the disastrous (leading from behind) foreign policy in the middle east.

Obama already wrote off white blue collar voters why isn’t that in the news cycle?

21. SignPainterGuy on September 18th, 2012 2:40 pm

Republicans do believe in safety nets, just not safety "belts" !

22. jeffythequick on September 18th, 2012 2:53 pm

What Liberal bias?

(plan for the debates):
    Moderator: Mr. Obama, are you awesome, really awesome, or godlike? Please explain how I may have missed anything in this question.

Moderator: Turning to foreign policy, Mr. Romney, why do you hate foreigners and people who aren't Mormon?

Moderator: Domestic policy, Mr. Obama, how have all your policies been hampered by Republicans, and how much better would the country be if they hadn't stopped you? And Mr. Romney, if your policies get enacted, how long will it be before infants are turned into dog food?

Moderator: Lastly, on personality, We've noticed, Mr. Obama, how personable you are. Can you tell us why anyone wouldn't vote for you? And Mr. Romney, do you still beat up gay kids and cut their hair and laugh at them?

23. jeffythequick on September 18th, 2012 2:54 pm

I put it as "we believe in safety nets, not safety webs".

24. SignPainterGuy on September 18th, 2012 3:19 pm

"Safety Webs" does seem a better analogy as the system of social protection is easy to get into and very difficult to get out of.

I say "belts" as a metaphor for the idea of never allowing anyone to fall, thus depriving a person of the benefit of the opportunity to learn from a mistake or other adversity.

25. SignPainterGuy on September 18th, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi Patti ! (((E-Hugg))) :-)

26. SignPainterGuy on September 18th, 2012 3:25 pm

Nope, no bias here, liberal or otherwise !

27. Patti on September 18th, 2012 3:31 pm

Good afternoon, SPG! (((Hugs back to you)))

28. Marshall_Will on September 18th, 2012 3:34 pm

Dude…DUDE!

No idea how much time I spent agonizing exactly that over the weekend. During one of our Live Fire exercises, we had boot camps so new they didn't even have UNIFORMS yet out of the firing range.

You could tell they were intimidated in handling the weapon ( by their trembling hands ) I may be an NCO but I'm not a cert. weapons instructor and you see these kids: Fail to take the weapon off Safety… forget to activate the charging handle… put the clip in ( yes ) upside down!

And you're cringing, but you have to stay behind the Yellow Line. After your major anxiety attack you remember… ( OH! These are all mistakes "I" made as boot camp! ) And 'I' got over it? Once back the Col. asked how the new recruits 'did'? I lied thru my teeth and said "Fine Sir!" He looked doubtful and said, Carry on….

29. Marshall_Will on September 18th, 2012 3:47 pm

Never did get that? Hipsters that can 'afford' daily Starbucks fix but can't seem to put together a functioning vehicle.

Even for those ( formerly hard case ) Liberals that -have- saved adequately, trust me they're going thru the same consternations. Wait a minute? "I" set aside my OWN money in a College 529 Plan for our OWN children's education and..?

Wait a minute? I have to 'save' to go on vacation when some/many of my friends are on PERMANENT vacation..? These quiet defectors are the ones that will make the difference this fall. This latest Enrollment season will be the breaking point for many.

30. ChapBix on September 18th, 2012 4:05 pm

Proven to be true. The Palestinian charter calls for the dissolution of the state of Israel, by force if necessary. While Arafat was alive, he was given terms that would have benefited the Palestinians although not giving them all they wanted in terms of land. Arafat walked away from the deal. The ONLY deal Palestinians will accept is the non-existence of Israel. Therefore, as things stand, there is no basis for peace talks establishing peace in that region. Anyone who thinks it can be done is believing a fairy tale. Recent history demonstrates that.

31. Obama bin Biden on September 18th, 2012 4:24 pm

My only problem with what he said is that it's 49% not 47.

32. http://linksover.nl/strand/bad-plaatsen.html on November 9th, 2015 1:16 pm

Romney Recorded at Fundraiser: Let?s Face it, Almost Half of Voters Will Go For Obama Simply Because They Feel Entitled to Health Care, Food and Housing : The Powers That Be