That’s kind of how the Dems seem to feel this morning.

During the couple of weeks leading up to last night’s debate, there was a lot of media and Obama campaign talk to downplay expectations from the president. I thought it was all just a distraction that would allow them to say how brilliantly Obama performed just for showing up. And maybe that was the plan, but even most Dems I’ve heard are saying “wow, that was bad.”

Michael Moore said “this is what happens when you pick John Kerry as your debate coach.” Not really. Actually, this is what happens when you have a candidate who got a free ride from the media and a weak challenger in 2008 who now has a four year record working against him and finally got some competent competition. Even the lefties at MSNBC are scratching their heads. Ed Schultz said “he didn’t explain himself well on the economy.” It never occurs to these people that Obama can’t explain himself satisfactorily on the economy. Not without spiking everybody’s Kool Aid with angel dust this time around. Even Tingles was aghast.

Team Obama is of course going after Jim Lehrer, the moderator, who actually was doing his best to guide Obama through some potentially embarrassing situations. Hear that, MSM? If Obama loses next month, it’ll be your fault.

Here’s what Dems should find frightening: Obama performed as best he could given what he has to work with, which is trying to find the bright side of a lousy economy… without a teleprompter. And he couldn’t even brag on whacking Bin Laden because Al Qaeda just killed our ambassador to Libya and others. Obama really has nowhere to run right now, other than to point to how Obamacare is going to improve our lives and save us money, which the majority of voters just don’t believe.

Among my favorite moments from last night: Obama pretty much begging Jim Lehrer to change the subject at one point; Romney schooling Obama (who was claiming that corporations building in “profits” to their prices is why things are so expensive) on why the government option is always more expensive than the private sector option; “Trickle Down Government”; and Mitt telling PBS’s Lehrer that he would cut taxpayer subsidies to PBS.

Here’s the full debate if you missed it:

Prediction: Team Obama will now take the “regular guy” approach to explain away this debate. “Look, I’m not all slick and pre-programmed with talking points… I’m just a guy who wants to clean up Bush’s mess!”

However, at the next debate watch for Obama to pick it up a notch. He has to. A Joe Soptic cameo appearance is probably in the works as we speak.

And yes, I’ve heard the rumor that Obama did poorly “on purpose.” Anybody believe that?

Reminder for Dems wondering why Obama didn’t hammer Romney on the “47 percent” comment:

Comments

29 Responses to “Dem Debate Hangover”

1. backwoodsconsr on October 4th, 2012 12:40 pm

I guess it shows how much of an analyst I am. I thought it was just my hyperpartisanship telling me that Romney was doing better. That and my being well informed enough to know who understood economic realities and who doesn't. I figured the debate was pretty much a draw, and I didn't see any big game-changing moments. Then I come home from work this morning and the internet is full of stuff about how badly Obama got beat.

My favorite line from Romney was when he said he would judge government programs on the basis of whether they're critical enough to be worth borrowing money from China.

2. Obama bin Biden on October 4th, 2012 12:40 pm

It's a Beautifuuuuul Moooorning!!!

3. Marshall_Will on October 4th, 2012 12:50 pm

Teh Wun's meandering began before a gate was put up to get OUT of. I've done enough suit & tie sales presentations to know when one is going to get rough from the git go.

I too was worried my 'hyperpartisanship' would cloud my view. That lasted until halfway thru O'Drama's opening statement. He was so stunned he forgot to even dredge up the 47% drivel.

4. backwoodsconsr on October 4th, 2012 1:00 pm

The thing that kept happening to me while I was listening to him was every time he spoke of something he wanted to do I thought of how much it would cost me as a taxpayer. Apparently even the relatively uninformed voters were seeing that. He talked a lot about the things he wanted to spend money on but only vaguely mentioned cutting the deficit.

I did notice how much he kept repeating his talking points. It was said of Greg Maddux that if you ever got a hit off of him you would never see that pitch in that location again. Obama just keeps throwing them to you.

5. jeffythequick on October 4th, 2012 1:04 pm

I kept thinking when he said what he wanted to do was:

"You are the freaking pResident! Why don't you do it NOW?"

6. jeffythequick on October 4th, 2012 1:08 pm

I do feel better.

However, the thing to do is to keep it up!

One thing I never understand is why, when winning, people let their opponent recover.

He can rest in 33 days.

7. Obama bin Biden on October 4th, 2012 1:12 pm

I can't wait for the VP debate.

8. backwoodsconsr on October 4th, 2012 1:17 pm

It should be very amusing. Biden doesn't stand a chance. He doesn't have near the brainpower to go toe to toe with Ryan.

9. jeffythequick on October 4th, 2012 1:24 pm

…or toe to toe with a dustpan.

I'm making sure I have plenty of popcorn for this one.

However, NEVER EVER, EVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR ADVERSARY.

10. Marshall_Will on October 4th, 2012 1:30 pm

BWC,

Surprised ( with as much as the "In 25 years of being in business I have to say I don't know what you're talking about!? line ) Obama AGAIN repeated that lame, already debunked "Corporations getting a tax break for moving jobs offshore" mantra.

'I' think it was one of the most damning errors he made last night! It just screamed; "As pResident, I'm so disconnected from the facts, these are Articles Of FAITH to me!"

It showed American voters that not only was he reading off prepared remarks likely written FOR him, but also that he couldn't even read his own NOTES. He just kept plowing ahead oblivious. Greg was one of the Greats btw. Not a team in either league that wouldn't have loved to sign him!

11. Marshall_Will on October 4th, 2012 1:51 pm

Surprisingly there's a goodly amount of paranoia over at MM's on the Pepe Bidet upcoming debate:

"Ryan himself pointed out that Biden in a debate is VERY different than Biden speaking off the cuff.

Biden will be prepared, especially after last night." ( Flyoverman )

I love FlyGuy but, hey whatever keeps you UP at night. ( This is the same guy that got ROUTED by Sarah Palin right? )

12. SignPainterGuy on October 4th, 2012 2:35 pm

The Goracle went all sciency and explained Pewbama`s stinking performance last night. (paraphrased) Barry arrived at Mile High Denver only a few hours before the debate and his brain didn`t have time to get accustomed to the altitude. His brain just didn`t function up to par.

Don`tcha just love it when The Goracle breaks it down for us ?

13. SignPainterGuy on October 4th, 2012 2:49 pm

If you have the stomach for it, check out Mooch after the debate; http://weaselzippers.us/2012/10/04/pic-obama-and-… – If I were Barry, I`d have slept on AF-1 last night.

Even AARP didn`t like being dragged down by pResident Downgrade.

14. SignPainterGuy on October 4th, 2012 2:55 pm

If you`d heard Biden speak here Tuesday, You`d never imagine he could perform well in a debate !

I seriously lost literally 30 IQ points. No joke, you can`t make this stuff up.

15. SignPainterGuy on October 4th, 2012 3:11 pm

Last night, Dennis Miller said, "Obama better hope 'ass kicking' is covered by Obamacare". Today at TownHall; http://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2012/10/04

Today, Barry is claimed that wasn`t the REAL Romney last night …… He`s just a hypocrite. I guess that`s because Mitt didn`t let Barry get away with the $5 T tax cut lie and called the pRes. a liar like his 5 sons.

16. SignPainterGuy on October 4th, 2012 3:22 pm

For more hillarity I give you the Tingles` "MeltDown"; http://weaselzippers.us/2012/10/03/video-tingles-… Chrissy makes it clear why Obama lost the debate, First, it wasn`t on MessNBCbs and Second, because Barry doesn`t watch cable, but he SHOULD !! Got it !

17. jeffythequick on October 4th, 2012 3:32 pm

Looking at MO's face last night, it being their anniversary and all, it looks like BO didn't get in the Mile High Club last night.

At least in Denver, you don't have to be in an airplane…

18. jeffythequick on October 4th, 2012 3:33 pm

Interesting how he didn't claim he wasn't the real Obama last night…

Yeah, when he said that, I thought, "did he just call Obama a little child that got caught lying?"

It was AWESOME!

19. SignPainterGuy on October 4th, 2012 3:35 pm

I`ll bet Barry was thinking, "If it weren`t for BAD luck, I`d have no luck at all !"

20. SignPainterGuy on October 4th, 2012 3:46 pm

It WAS awesome ! That line and the one, "….people pick winners and losers; you pick losers !"

Romney`s Son Tag was here week before last, and assured us that Mitt absolutely CAN bring the heat. He DID !

Chrissy Tingles isn`t the only MSMer who is in meltdown mode / on suicide watch today ! I be lovin` it !

21. Patti on October 4th, 2012 4:36 pm

About last night….

“I’ve been in business for 25 years and I have no idea what you’re talking about.”
    -Romney LOL Loved that!

Hillbuzz has transcript, analysis, etc. as always…

22. backwoodsconsr on October 4th, 2012 5:02 pm

A major league manager (I forget who) was heading into a 3 game series with the Braves. A reporter asked him what he thought of his team's prospects. He replied, "We're facing Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz."

23. Marshall_Will on October 4th, 2012 6:51 pm

Sounds like something Jim Leyland would say? Like, any OTHER dumb questions!?

24. backwoodsconsr on October 4th, 2012 7:31 pm

I think it was Jim Leyland, but it was so long ago when I heard that story I can't be sure.

25. Marshall_Will on October 4th, 2012 8:01 pm

To the orig. point, we've all heard Progs blather on about that "tax break" as long as we can remember. So emphatic they were, one can be forgiven for mistaking it for a tax CREDIT!

Only in Prog-World can being taxed only ( once) be considered a 'break'. Case in point, when we were kids ( and got $100 paychecks ) the Feds tax ON… a hundred dollars. THEN ( while they've got you over the bike rack anyway! ) the STATE has a go at you! And, they go about it as if you still had $100 'to' be taxed.

Then FICA, SS, Medi/Medi blah blah and ALL based on that orig. ( now MYTHICAL ) $100! Of course it only amplifies as we earn more. Just one small example…

26. backwoodsconsr on October 4th, 2012 8:44 pm

So that's what Obama meant about government spending having a multiplier effect.

27. SignPainterGuy on October 4th, 2012 9:01 pm

Double counting by the gov. is common as well as other trickery. The fabled "Clinton Surplus" comes to mind; it was an accounting trick – they simply didn`t pay for some programs and VOILA, a SURPLUS !

28. jeffythequick on October 5th, 2012 12:28 am

Plus, Social Security income was put on budget. Newtie should have been called out on that one. There is no year since 1965 where spending has actually gone down, with the exception of 2010, where the TARP money went away.

FY 2010: $3.456T
    FY 2009: $3.517T

There was something interesting that happened in the 1920's, which was known as the "Roaring 20's" Spending went down for 8 straight years, from 1920-7. Data is pretty interesting.
    Source: http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/download_mult

29. SignPainterGuy on October 5th, 2012 12:44 am

Fascinating ! Saved to bookmarks.