There’s a laugh every second in this article in the New Yorker that quotes people Barack Obama knew in his community organizing and law school days in academia.

Some examples:

Laurence H. Tribe, a leading constitutional-law scholar and Obama’s mentor at Harvard, told me after Wednesday night’s debate with Mitt Romney, “Although I would have been happier with a more aggressive debate performance by the President, I’ve had to remind myself that Barack Obama’s instincts and talents have never included going for an opponent’s jugular. That’s just not who he is or ever has been.”

President “get in their face” and “if they bring a knife we bring a gun” isn’t one to go for the jugular?

More hilarity:

Will Burns, a Chicago alderman, who, as a student, worked for Obama in his (successful) 1996 campaign for the Illinois State Senate and his (unsuccessful) 2000 campaign for Congress, said that the format was too “loosey-goosey” for Obama, who failed to get aggressive with Romney.

“The President has always been someone who takes the truth seriously and has a great faith in the American people and their ability to handle big ideas,” Burns said.

Yeah, real serious about that truth thing.

Another:

Reverend Love grew close to Obama when Obama was a community organizer. He could tell that Obama was never particularly comfortable in the debate format. “He’s better out there by himself,” he said. “His personality has always been kind of contemplative. In that kind of format, when you are contemplative, it makes you seem not as quick on the draw.”

That and he can’t use a teleprompter in a debate.

A guy who taught Obama at Harvard (taught him everything except the basics such as “look into the camera when delivering your closing argument”):

“The reason I hate campaigns,” Edley continued, “is that being right on the substance isn’t good enough. That’s why I’m an academic. Of course, Obama knows that, but it’s also a question of what he cares about. I admire him for caring more about the substance than the tactics even if it makes me grimace when I watch him. Why does he do it? Look, we all do things in the short term that are not consistent with a long-term goal, whether it’s failing to save for retirement or watching TV instead of doing your homework. It’s called being human rather than being the ideal client of your handlers. It makes it harder to achieve his goal, which is to get reëlected. But if you wanted authenticity you got it [on Wednesday] night. And, really, you got it in an unsurprising way. We know that Obama skews cerebral and that he has never liked debates as a way to engage issues. He has said that many times.”

I love it when academics claim they’re academics because the real world can’t handle the volume and intensity of their truth. In actuality it’s precisely the opposite. Many, probably this guy included, hold court at universities for decades because in academia there is little personal consequence and accountability for being dreadfully wrong. That’s why so many of Obama’s economic advisers have skedaddled back to the safety of the campus after venturing outside its walls just long enough to help wreck the economy.

We’ll close with a look at the president who lost the debate Wednesday because he “skews cerebral”:

Comments

16 Responses to “Obama’s Old Friends: He Takes the Truth Too Seriously to Out-Debate a Guy Like Romney”

1. Marshall_Will on October 6th, 2012 7:32 pm

Joyanna Adams noted:

"In body language there is a rule when a man shakes your hand, and if he forcefully grabs your arm, he is showing you he is the boss. So Obama GRABBED Mitt’s arm, and Mitt did the same with a match..BUT..Obama then grabbed his arm again and pulled him back to him, with a kind of nasty jerk."

Would anyone that skews cerebral find need to resort to tactics better suited for the manner straw bosses confront day laborers? Suffice to say Mitt rose ABOVE this playground BULLY tactic. At Joyanna's urging I reviewed the staged stage entrance. He Who Skews Cerebral was quite literally roughing him up.

Here's the comeback for any of you that might be confronted by this cheesy ploy in the future. When da' boss man grabs your shoulder so forcefully you have to shift your feet to retain your balance you simply:

Stop dead in your tracks, very DELIBERATELY look down upon your now ruffled shoulder and say; "If you really like my sports coat that 'much', you can KEEP it! Really! I'll get another..?" Translation? I'm SO ON TO YOU.

2. SignPainterGuy on October 6th, 2012 7:51 pm

Barry is too serious about the truth to out-debate Romney so he settles for lies ?

It just hit me that the left is so disappointed in their false-messiah, as much in that he`s going in the wrong direction as they are that he hasn`t gone far enough, that if he weren`t black, they`d have found a way to get rid of him. After the debate, only the most brain-washed / -dead Obamabot could still have any faith in the Obumble !

You`re on the money about academics feeling safe in their wrongness at universities and I`m so glad my parents didn`t spend a fortune for me to be indoctrinated in their liberal idiocy. "Skews cerebral" is a case in point; after Oblamer`s life of avoiding real work and responsibility, his longterm drug use, I can imagine his cerebrum is quite skewed, if not skewered; aka- FRIED !

Thanks for the "gaffes" vid, Doug, I think I got all 30 points back !

3. Marshall_Will on October 6th, 2012 9:18 pm

And THEN some! Wish that post had been mine. Let's break it down.

Yes, if he were a White Dude, Chrissy would be administering the Relaxing Electro Shock 'Therapy' HIMSELF. Only question IS, does the red jumper cable go the 'right' testicle or the LEFT? E'f it; whatever..!

He's also painted huge TARGETS squarely on the backs of every well meaning Prog at even the lowest levels of government. Now that they'ved been inspected, detected and REJECTED, it's rawked The Agenda BACK at least a decade. Thanks a-hole..!

Let's talk about that *obvious* long term Choom-abuse. He's replacing Gary Abusey as the poster child for why drawing bong tubes is only a good idea if you're 'happy' w/ your PT job at Home Depot. Any loftier aspirations mandate growing up.

4. SignPainterGuy on October 6th, 2012 9:59 pm

Wow, thanks for reminding me of the REST; I`d nearly forgotten it. Don`t worry about the cable attachment points, there are so many. The ones you mentioned would bring such schadenfreude, but think about this; how many times have you seen that smug face cocked upward when he`s speaking ? Don`t tell me it hasn`t given an urge at least to wipe the smugness off it if not actually introduce him to next Wednesday ! IOW, attach the red cable to his nose and BZZZZZT !

5. Marshall_Will on October 6th, 2012 10:47 pm

Rest assured, some good ol' REST and relaxation for Him is never far from my mind. A chin jutt that would make Mussolini proud!

"So why *did* the Obama Administration last week increase the amount of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac losses it would cover from the previous limit of $400 billion to the new limit of infinity? In the simplest terms, it was to reassure investors like China or Saudi Arabia who have bought or might buy in the future the securities of Fannie or Freddie. But among mortgage professionals I have spoken with, there is a general feeling, too, that the extra funds will be needed.

"They've been hiding losses as long as they can and will soon have to start taking them, " said one friend who has been in the mortgage business much of his life."

6. Marshall_Will on October 6th, 2012 10:49 pm

Oh and I read Gas hit $5.49 in SoCal on Friday. Way to GO O'blowme!

7. jeffythequick on October 6th, 2012 11:09 pm

I wonder how many votes he loses in California with each penny that gas goes up?

Call me a conspiracy nut, but I have a feeling that the oil companies aren't fond of him either. I need more data, but it's just a hunch that the prices will go back down in 31-32 days…

8. SignPainterGuy on October 6th, 2012 11:22 pm

Yet another reason NOT to live in Cali. It`s as though the rulers in that republic (?) are pushing to see how many they CAN run off, leaving only the most ardent leftists !

Avg. price here is $3.799ish with the lowest at $3.669. I go a little out of the way to a station that sometimes has gas without ethanol. I`ve been watching my mileage lately and ethanol costs the same at the pump, but gives 2 mpg less. And now my gas gauge has a gremlin ! It reads 1/8+ tank low …. sometimes.

9. SignPainterGuy on October 6th, 2012 11:26 pm

I saw a headline at WND that said Obama has plans to confiscate our 401Ks and IRAs. It said they had a list of bills in congress. I didn`t have the heart to read it, not wanting to find another false scare OR that it`s fer reelz. I could imagine Oblowhole & Co. doin` it ! Rumors of it have circulated for a while.

10. jeffythequick on October 7th, 2012 12:02 am

For the next two weeks I'll be in your neck of the woods (Obama-Map speaking…) I'm leaving for Charleston, SC tonight, and will be there (with Cooper, my service dog) tomorrow at noonish…

11. SignPainterGuy on October 7th, 2012 12:51 am

Charleston will better for it ! Enjoy yourself and remember to have at least one seafood sampler platter for me !

I know, you`re from th PNW and have access to lots of cold-water seafood, but hey, if I get near water I want fish !

12. Marshall_Will on October 7th, 2012 1:41 am

"Teresa Ghilarducci advocates ***mandatory*** contributions from employers and employees that would total 5% of income. The retirement program would be ***administered by the government***, but the plan assets would remain private property of each employee. The program also calls for the government to guarantee a return of at least 3% over the rate of inflation." ( Inflation, another open-ended/blank check arrangement! )

Pretty interesting and provocative ideas that we'll continue to follow–Ghilarducci must be on to something to have received the strong reactions that have surfaced thus far."

Trial balloons find themselves aloft since the Tech Bust. ( The Origins of Our EARLY RETIREMENT DISCONTENT* ) Talk about "Truthspeak".., the plans are "government administred" BUT [miraculously] " the plan assets would remain private property of each employee" ..?

* See Coitus Interpartius Yet ANOTHER 'plan' to KILL small independent business owners. I love PasadenaPhil like a brother but here's a MAJOR issue clearly… ( he doesn't get? )

13. Marshall_Will on October 7th, 2012 1:43 am

To WIT: Most Financial Planners tend to have above avg. educations, are biz savvy and FIERCLY independent. Can't be having THAT now CAN we?

14. SignPainterGuy on October 7th, 2012 1:57 am

It would seem they are / are becoming Persona Nongrata in CA. No Indies allowed !

15. SignPainterGuy on October 7th, 2012 2:01 am

It`s hard to look at property controlled by gov. as "mine". Even real estate in your name and paid for still requires the pmt of prop. tax which, if not paid for a period of years, will land said RE on the auction block. How`s that REALLY my RE if the gov. can take it ?

I like Phil too and understand his points and even agree w/ many, but he can give it a rest any time now, we get it !

16. Marshall_Will on October 7th, 2012 2:09 am

Oct. 5, 2012: Motorist Elisabeth Chavarria fills up only six dollars worth of gas ***to be able to drive home*** Friday, Oct. 5, 2012, at the Low-P, an independent gas station in Calabasas, Calif. (AP) ( Ironically HOME to CountryWIDE 'Financial"? ) Why ISN'T Angelo Mozilla CELLMATES w/ John Corzine again?

Way to go LIZ! You voted for Obama and uh… [now] you're 'reaping' the 'rewards'. Now you find yourself UNABLE to swing that Redbox rental PERHAPS you can entertain yourself/ves gazing upon sun-glistened PECS.

( Always gets ME off? )