chua123

The Hope & Change era’s great gang-banging of the taxpayer continues. With the Obama administration, crony capitalism-induced bankruptcy is as easy as A123:

A123 Systems Inc, a lithium-ion battery maker that received a $249 million grant from the U.S. government, filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday.

The advanced car battery industry has been hurt by overcapacity amid weak U.S. demand for electric cars.

A123 had promised to create 38,000 U.S. jobs, including 5,900 at its own plants, in return for the government funding under the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act’s Electric Drive Vehicle Battery and Component Manufacturing Initiative.

I’ll accompany this with the obligatory video of Obama not long ago justifying this particular “investment” of taxpayer dollars by claiming it would create thousands of long term jobs in the U.S.:

Comments

40 Responses to “Another ‘Green Jobs’ Company Sinks, Taking $249 Million Taxpayer Dollars With It”

1. Truesoldier__ on October 16th, 2012 1:29 pm

"Do you think Romney will bring this up tonight when Obama goes off on another “clean energy investment” double-down?"

I sure hope so. I loved Romney's line last time when he pointed out that the oil companies get a $4billion a year in tax breaks, but green energy has gotten over $90 billion in taxpayer $ through grants and loans.

2. Doug on October 16th, 2012 1:36 pm

That was a good comeback for sure. Hopefully Romney's people are locking and loading an A123 line into the debate repertoire as we speak.

3. SignPainterGuy on October 16th, 2012 1:58 pm

I so want Romney to throw some more High scoring "….you pick losers !" lines.

Both candidates signed on with the 21 pages of debate rules, but Candy announced she`s going off script, planning to insert herself more into the "but what about ABC and 123 ?" Maybe she liked the first format, but thinks the mod. should shape it a bit more to make it work out the same. (fiddle with it more to leave it alone ?)

And then there will be the totally non-potted plants / questioners in the audience ……..

Barry knew better than to throw in any "47% / Bain" remarks, but tonight`s townhall setting may be open for the dud-bombshells from the audience.

4. Truesoldier__ on October 16th, 2012 2:01 pm

I would be surprised if they don't. Axelrod titled his campaign memo prior to the first debate, "At the First Debate, Facts Will Matter" and that was the truest thing Axelrod has probably ever said, or written for that matter. With facts like the green energy boodoggles, what happened in Libya, and the unemployment figure manipulations ( Sen Jeff Sessions has a great chart showing this btw) the lines will write themselves.

Link to the chart: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/this-chart-on-lab

5. Truesoldier__ on October 16th, 2012 2:09 pm

I suspect we will hear about the 47% remark and Bain, but I believe that Romney was hoping those would come up in the first debate. It would be easy for Romney to knock it out of the park and I thought it was wise that Obama didn't try throwing those hanging curve balls in the first debate.

I have a feeling that with all the pressure on Obama to perform well in this debate it will lead him to make mistakes. Obama has shown he is not good under pressure. Romney on the otherhand knows how to deal with stressfull situtations and may even thrive in it.

If Obama brings up his record at Bain (like he has been on the campaign trail) Romney could say I will put my Bain record up against your green energy record any day. He could point out that at Bain he mostly had a winning record (and point to Staples and a myriad of other big name companies Bain rescued) then he could point to A123 that just went bankrupt and say that Obama has picked yet another loser.

6. Dexter_Alarius on October 16th, 2012 2:23 pm

"…Obama not long ago justifying this particular “investment” of taxpayer dollars by claiming it would create thousands of long term jobs in the U.S."

Obama defines "long term" as "at least until the election".
    Even then, he fails.

7. SignPainterGuy on October 16th, 2012 3:02 pm

Proof Mitt was right – "Gov. picks winners and losers; You pick losers !"

8. Truesoldier__ on October 16th, 2012 3:11 pm

Looks like Biden just got caught in yet another dbeate line lie:

Despite statements by Vice President Joe Biden, the State Department is about to begin formal negotiations over the extension of U.S. troops past 2014, a top State Department official said Tuesday.

9. archer on October 16th, 2012 3:32 pm

A123??

Zero:
    It took a lot of thought to come up with a company name like that. I trust those guys and I believe that after all the thought put into the company name, their brain trust can figure out how to do this right. They’re worthy of a mega-million-dollar give-a-way, after all, it’s not MY money.

But, most of it will be soon.

10. archer on October 16th, 2012 3:39 pm

These “Green Energy” posts should be filed under: ANOTHER OBAMA FUNDRAISER.

11. Marshall_Will on October 16th, 2012 4:27 pm

Doug Powers said,

"Hopefully Romney's people are locking and loading an A123 line into the debate repertoire as we speak.

It's as easy as A123..! ( Sorry, couldn't help myself… )

12. Marshall_Will on October 16th, 2012 4:29 pm

"Rush just mentioned"

( I'll take that to mean 'officially'? )

He can exude "I GOT this!" all night long. Unless they're going trot buxom ball fan "Morgana" out onto the debate floor for a hubba-hubba reaction shot from Mitt?

13. Marshall_Will on October 16th, 2012 4:31 pm

"Obama has shown he is not good under pressure."

That's… ONE way of putting it? I'd go with; Unless it's a completely staged and SCRIPTED event, Katie bar the door!

Not good under 'pressure'…

14. Dexter_Alarius on October 16th, 2012 5:06 pm

"A123" just barely edged out "Fake Battery and Dem Fund Pass-through Company" in the names considered by the 'board'.

15. jeffythequick on October 16th, 2012 5:27 pm

It's amazing that they don't use the low flow toilets* when they flush the money down.

16. jeffythequick on October 16th, 2012 5:28 pm

I like WTF for the company name for the Democrats. It's catchy, and people say it all the time when they refer to them. It's like Band-Aid for adhesive bandages.

17. jeffythequick on October 16th, 2012 5:32 pm

…or "Remember two weeks ago when I told you that he picks only losers? Well, today, add A123 to his pile of losers he's picked."

It's catchy, true, and best of all, gets people thinking about Chu, Neapolitano, Holder, Reid, Pelosi, Biden, Solyndra, …

The next president may get to pick 3-4 SC justices. I want them Borked if they're any less conservative than Justice Thomas.

18. archer on October 16th, 2012 6:01 pm

There will probably be a couple more “fund raising” announcements during the lame duck days before the inauguration.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay never again a WalMart day…

…for the Zero family.

19. Marshall_Will on October 16th, 2012 9:04 pm

Actually, one of the very first Bubble Blogs was titled F@cked Company.com and got millions of hits as the dot.com's imploded. Great guys, lots of dirt directly from managers and employees themselves.

Dexter is spot on though, at least we were burning thru INVESTOR'S cash not taxpayer $'s. If describing them to voters as 'losers' rankles O'Drama Mitt & Co. could always opt for your and Dex's corp. logos. Seems only fair?

20. Marshall_Will on October 16th, 2012 9:08 pm

Lol,

Granny55 said she attended a wedding [regrettably] in Downtown Detroit and the wedding party was so big their guests took up almost an entire floor. By the end of the stay something like 30 of 50 were backed up.

What a hoot to hear the Maint. guy ramble on about how "enviro-friendly" they were! Reeeeally? Oh and you should switch over to grass and tree bark as per FLOTUS suggestion…

21. SignPainterGuy on October 16th, 2012 9:29 pm

The 2-stage low-flows are an absolute joke. Stage-1 (a quick handle flip) will carry off a spit wad, but serious solids take two flushes of stage-2 (holding the handle down till the flush is complete). No wonder L.A. had sewer line clogs !

22. Marshall_Will on October 16th, 2012 10:05 pm

Most Americans took a more common sense approach by uh… adjusting the float valve ( or adding a BRICK ) and making note the guest bath was seldom used. Or should we say, heavily.

More creating problems then running 'solutions' down our throats when none existed in the first place. I can't be the only poster here who's old man constantly grumbled "Why you kids have to use the damned toilet so much!"

Conservation to save money = cheapskate
    Forcing OTHERS to conserve = environmental martyr

23. jeffythequick on October 16th, 2012 10:53 pm

Adding a brick in there is what caused me to flush it 15 times! (heh heh heh…)

24. SignPainterGuy on October 16th, 2012 11:23 pm

Did the porcelain break ? ;-)

25. backwoodsconsr on October 17th, 2012 1:04 am

I just spent a lot more time listening to Oblahblah than I really care to. His demeanor and his constant lying are not good for the digestion.

26. SignPainterGuy on October 17th, 2012 1:11 am

Same here. The callers in to C-Span drove me nuts so I changed the channel. 2 didn`t hear all the details Mitt gave and another is still blaming Bush and will vote for O.

27. backwoodsconsr on October 17th, 2012 1:16 am

I didn't stick around for the callers. I stayed off the internet during the debate so I wouldn't get distracted from what was said, but as soon as it was over I headed for the computer to hear some opinions.

28. Marshall_Will on October 17th, 2012 1:56 am

Here on the Base ( we're lucky to get Fox ) Your choice of (5) channels!

One thing's become clear, especially in regard to the Rose Garden comment. NO ONE is better than this Admin. at sowing and spreading poison pills and pre-planned gotcha' moments.

IF that is what He said, they certainly made no effort to RE-AFFIRM it in any WAY until tonight!? THEN for him to "step up" and act 'Presidential' was laughable.

Crooks and murderers use this strategy ALL the time. The don't know NOTHIN' and until they're confronted w/ evidence they know prosecutors can make STICK, they're not copping to ZIP. Um, next thing you know not only do they have the armed robbery but they ALSO have Murder 1. Oh, I'll cop the Armed Robbery..!

29. jeffythequick on October 17th, 2012 10:29 am

Funny that we're talking about this (yeah, I know I brought this up…) but Chelsea Clinton is doing good work in the field:

30. Truesoldier__ on October 17th, 2012 10:54 am

And that question by the moderator that was a set up for Obama basically calling Mitt Romney a return of Geroge Bush. No impartiality there at all and I believe it was pretty obvious to most.

Not only will it not help Obama, but it hurts the media as well. Especially when you consider that the debate commission pulled the moderator aside yesterday and warned her.

Romney will not go and file a complaint against the moderator with the debate committee. First of all it wont do any good. Secondly the media would jump all over that.

31. jeffythequick on October 17th, 2012 11:08 am

I saw the terror comment, and here's the game they play:

1. Mention the word, but don't directly attribute it to the act. "Acts of terror will not shape us as a people." Get it? You're talking about Benghazi, and then you say something oblique about it, so you can say that you said something about it when called out, and deny it if it turns out bad.

2. It's heads I win, tails you lose. If the coin lands on edge, the moderator will say that she wins.

Romney should have given the whole timeline, from "you danced around calling it an act of terror, as you always do, to blaming a youtube video, which, for some reason, after it was called out, the maker of that video is in jail now, to finally calling it an act of terror two weeks after the fact. Mr. pResident, this can be summed up in one of two ways: First, if you didn't know it was an act of terrorism within 24 hours, and the rest of the State Department did, you have a failure of communication, and you should look at investigating and firing those keeping this information from you, or second, you knew that this was an act of terror, and you politicized it by lying about the youtube video for two weeks, until it became untenable.".

Oh, and Candy, STFU. You're a moderator, not adjudicator. Post facto apologies are weak.

32. backwoodsconsr on October 17th, 2012 11:17 am

Opportunities for snide remarks and scatalogical jokes abound, but I'm going to refrain. She's making an effort to do good in the world and I'm going to give her credit for it.

33. jeffythequick on October 17th, 2012 1:46 pm

I agree with what she's doing. The article was just a funny tangent on this article.

34. SignPainterGuy on October 17th, 2012 2:17 pm

Is Chelsea building her creds for a future in biz or politics ? Here`s an "atta girl" that can only help either one ! Good for her !

35. SignPainterGuy on October 17th, 2012 2:22 pm

"Post Facto apologies are weak." But they`re the Chicago Way.

The left knows that few do any fact checking, preferring to rely on memory that`s often faulty and the left loves apologies.

Again, heads I win, tails you lose !

36. blogc2011 on December 2nd, 2012 9:05 am

*I'm staying in a hotel here in Charleston that has those, and let's just say I start naming my effluent and have bets on who will be the last survivor after 15 low flow flushes, as they bob up and down in the waves, mocking my efforts to send them to the sewage treatment plant. botox

37. mamun116 on December 16th, 2012 5:00 am

I am very pleased to have this chance to read your article and feeling really satisfied. You have a rare source of information and define your topic in very well way. It is writes in very good style and unique. I like this. Thanks for this.Greenspoint Dental

38. blogc2011 on December 25th, 2012 6:27 pm

A million new manufacturing jobs? Why only one million? Why not two million or three and will they be American jobs? In America for Americans, let me clarify that, in the United States for U.S. citizens? Why not something to also put back to work the multi-millions youve put out of work and are now on food stamps and lost their houses, autos and all their other possessions? Power Ranch real estate

39. tyvek wristbands on January 12th, 2013 10:32 am

what a interesting article, however, I still do not believe the similarities between the two . Thanks for bringing this article,

40. @orlandoroofleak on November 14th, 2013 1:02 pm

floridaroofleak.com is urging homeowners to check their attic for signs of roof leak damage. The recent long stretch of intense rain has left many homes in need of a roof leak repair. Contact us on 407-925-7361 for a free roofing estimate today our prices on Orlando roof repairs will be less than you think