Can everybody in the world please stop referring to Powell as a “Republican” now? Probably not:

Former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell endorsed President Barack Obama for a second term Thursday, telling “CBS This Morning” that he voted for Obama in 2008 but this time was going further and publicly backing him.

“We’ve come out of the dive and we’re starting to gain altitude,” Powell said. “The unemployment rate is too high, people are still hurting in housing, but I see that we’re starting to rise up.”

Powell said that when Obama took over “the country was in very, very difficult straits. We were in the one of the worst recessions we had seen in recent times, close to a depression.”

Reuters doesn’t plan to stop calling him a Republican any time soon:

“I think we ought to keep on the track that we are on,” the Republican, who also backed Obama in 2008, told “CBS This Morning,” adding, “I voted for him in 2008 and I plan to stick with him in 2012.”

Just a few months after Obama took office Powell expressed dismay that the president he voted for wasn’t being more fiscally responsible, but I guess Powell figures that Obama has since redeemed himself by only running up $5 trillion in debt in his term with four consecutive years of trillion-plus deficits:

Comments

36 Responses to “Not a Surprise: Colin Powell Endorses Obama for a Second Term”

1. The Zoo Keeper on October 25th, 2012 12:11 pm

With Repubs like this, who needs Democrats?

2. jak on October 25th, 2012 12:13 pm

Of course he will,This black on black voting is getting out of hand.

3. Truesoldier__ on October 25th, 2012 12:23 pm

Really Powell. Tell that to the millions of Americans who are unemployed, given up on finding employment and have either lost their homes or are facing the prospect of foreclosure.

4. jeffythequick on October 25th, 2012 12:32 pm

Shocking!

Next, Ultra-Right Wing Conservative Republican Joe Scarborough said on center-right leaning MSNBC, "I support Colin Powell!"

5. backwoodsconsr on October 25th, 2012 12:34 pm

The Republican party didn't leave Powell. Powell left it.

6. jeffythequick on October 25th, 2012 12:35 pm
  7. backwoodsconsr on October 25th, 2012 12:37 pm

You're only racist if you oppose Obama.

8. Granny55 on October 25th, 2012 12:40 pm

I don't believe for one minute he was ever a Republican.

9. Truesoldier__ on October 25th, 2012 12:54 pm

Meanwhile, the false letter campaign in Florida is growing. Now the GOP State Chairman has received one of these phony letters claiming he is ineligible to vote. Again these letters seem to be post marked out of Seattle. The FBI is investigating, but I am guessing they will not find the culprits until at least Nov 7th.

10. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2012 1:22 pm

You know they`ll be looking for an anarchist tea party rogue freedom-hater republican racist. They`ll NEVER find the culprit !

Well, the FBI might find them, but Eric "Obi Won" Holder will just wave his hand and say, "These are not the culprits you`re looking for !"

11. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2012 1:33 pm

Colin Powell did a good job as SoS, always struck me as intelligent and considerate. I thought it stupid, but understandable that he`d want the first black candidate as Pres. It`s wanting him to continue his destruction of all that is American, seeing that as in any way a positive, that surprises me. He seems to have needed that structured life of following orders in the military and gov. service; thinking on his own is not his strong suit !

12. Truesoldier__ on October 25th, 2012 1:35 pm

That sounds just about right. Besides, DOJ is too busy in Seattle dictating policies to the Seattle PD to be bothered looking for culprits.

13. Truesoldier__ on October 25th, 2012 1:50 pm

O/T…All-Red got shot down in court today. The divorce records were unselaed without any objections from anyboedy (including the Romney camp), but the gag order was not lifted on All-Red's client….because she forgot to actually file an official motion to do so. So the records are out there, but All-Red's client cannot go star in the next Obama ad….lol

Sounds like the judge is not even going to entertain anything more on the subject either.

14. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2012 1:57 pm

Ditto, he was a good soldier, followed orders well, but in the world on his own, he`s on the plantation !

15. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2012 2:12 pm

Is it possible the judge is a conservative ? S/He is obviously not easily amused; not a fan of reality TV !

16. Truesoldier__ on October 25th, 2012 2:22 pm

In this case I don't think her politics (not she which side she falls on to be honest) had nothing to do with it. I am guessing she just did not want her court to be turned into a circus. She went with what all sides agreed was fine and did not entertain anything that was ot filed. Sounds to me like she followed the rule of law. What a pleasant concept.

17. archer on October 25th, 2012 2:23 pm

Further proof, if it were needed, of who the TRUE racists are in this country.

And threats of rioting if they don’t get what they want. It shows what blackness is all about.

18. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2012 2:53 pm

Kinda what I was getting at (not amused by antics). I like a judge who respects and adheres to the rule of law ! It`s so much simpler in the long run !

19. jeffythequick on October 25th, 2012 2:58 pm

Des Moines Register headline Rush is talking about:

20. Dexter_Alarius on October 25th, 2012 3:05 pm

There is no other way to reconcile this Colin Powell with the one that gave the address at the 1996 Republican National Convention titled "Why I'm a Republican". He's voting his race.
    Despicable.

21. Truesoldier__ on October 25th, 2012 3:27 pm

O/T…UN calls on Boycott and legal actions against US companies (to include their employees) if they do business with Israel. It is time for the UN to leave the US for good!

22. Truesoldier__ on October 25th, 2012 3:28 pm

Not only simplier, but truly fair. Just think, so old white guys 200+ years ago thought that fairness in the court system was a good thing, but liberals dont think so.

23. Granny55 on October 25th, 2012 4:01 pm

Oh Shit! Ozero is rooting for the Detroit Tigers in the World Series :{ We are doomed now!!!!

24. jeffythequick on October 25th, 2012 4:03 pm

Imagine how freaked out I was when he visited the 787 line here in Everett. I almost asked for a transfer to work on 707's, 757's and/or 727's, or a transfer back to Charleston.

25. Truesoldier__ on October 25th, 2012 4:21 pm

Yep. the Reverse Midas touch will doom them for sure.

26. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2012 4:42 pm

Or as my Polish ( half-Jewish ) mother always said:

"With friends like 'you' ( who could afford enemies..? )"

27. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2012 4:45 pm

Dex,

Further, as a former ground pounder, Powell would be better served steering clear of aviation analogies. "Gaining altitude"? That's a little tough when you've already "augered in".

Just ask Chuck Yeager….

28. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2012 4:48 pm

His son headed the FCC so likely he's trying to curry favor w/ those he feels can best further that offspring's career. A 2nd Bammie term would essentially give him the same role as Josef Goebbels.

In his mind it's worth the risk. And HUMILIATION.

29. Moonbattery » Supposed Republican Colin Powell Endorses Comrade Obama Again on October 25th, 2012 4:50 pm

[...] On a tip from Ummah Gummah. Hat tips: PoliPundit.com, The Powers That Be. [...]

30. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2012 4:53 pm

I'll get caught up on the link but what is it just a matter it was such a "carpet bombing campaign" the State Chairman just so happened to become ensnared?

Or was this perhaps an intentionally psychological ploy in essence asserting they'll go to JAIL before they let Florida "fall into enemy hands!"?

I work for the OR GOP and not "just anybody" gets their hands on those lists.

31. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2012 4:57 pm

Is that the one where everything He touches turns to Soilyndra?

32. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2012 4:58 pm

I would ask if I could be reassigned to cutting edge technology like the DC-3. I've always 'wanted' to work in the prop shop!

33. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2012 5:03 pm

"economic warfare on a group of American companies that do business in Israel, including Hewlett-Packard, Caterpillar Inc., and Motorola Solutions Inc.

The Human Rights Council (HRC), a body dominated by Islamic countries and known for its hostility to, and heavy focus on, the Jewish State, issued the report. The George W. Bush administration refused to participate in the HRC, but President Barack Obama joined it soon after taking office."

Wrong on SO many levels! Just 'American' companies, right!? And most of those would be uh… SALES ( not purchases you mf'ers! ) Great, let's put more workers out in the street. HRC is lousy w/ Jihadi sympathizers. Like All Our pResident! Fie, foo, SPIT.

34. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2012 8:25 pm

And I heard on radio news today that Colin claims still to be a republican.

I`d call him racist, but I keep hearing blacks can`t be racists because they have always been the victims and still have no means of equalizing their positions !

I think even the blind man sees that for the BS it is !

35. jeffythequick on October 25th, 2012 11:54 pm

I was looking at the planes made in Renton, and I don't want to move to Long Beach…

36. jeffythequick on October 25th, 2012 11:57 pm

Well, it looks like Biden has the touch too!