I was reading a list of all the New York Times presidential endorsements over the years. The last Republican the New York Times endorsed was Eisenhower in 1956. This means they’ve endorsed Carter twice, Mondale and Dukakis once each, and of course Obama twice now.

Under each choice is a couple of sentences justifying the endorsement. This is the quote for the Times’ endorsement of Bill Clinton’s second term:

nytclinton

If you can’t read that, the Times wrote in 1996, “The Presidency he once dreamed is still within his reach if he brings the requisite integrity to the next four years.”

And how’d that work out?

monicabill

Almost as funny, the Times’ 2012 endorsement for the re-election of Obama says that he’s done a good job of “forming sensible budget policies that are not dedicated to protecting the powerful.” And by “powerful” I assume they mean “people with jobs.”

If Obama’s policies aren’t dedicated to protecting the powerful, why are there still headlines like “The Rich Get Even Richer” in the New York Times? Also in the Times, the poor are poorer. Great budget policies. Actually, the Times is wrong on that count too because the Democrats don’t have budget policies.

(h/t @JLakely)

Comments

42 Responses to “New York Times presidential endorsements over the years”

1. Marshall_Will on October 29th, 2012 6:31 pm

And by “powerful” I assume they mean “people with jobs.”

These days, anyone w/ the scratch to pony up for gas money is calling the shots! Just what we've always wanted, to rule the world from the backseat of 1999 Toyota Camry…

And we are NOT going to BK for lunch again today!

2. jeffythequick on October 29th, 2012 6:37 pm

Why anyone would buy/read the NYT is beyond me. The only good reasons for that paper are:

Bird cages
    Fish Wrap
    Paper Mache
    Toilet Paper (in a pinch)
    Cleaning Windows
    Starting a fire in the fireplace

But, there are other papers that can do those jobs when you're done reading them. In the case of the NYT, the above reasons are the prime reason for buying picking it up off the tables at Dennys.

3. Truesoldier__ on October 29th, 2012 7:00 pm

Speaking of Clinton, he is out there "helping" Obama again:

"I saw the reports of Governor Romney's latest ad saying that the president had allowed Jeep to move to China," said Clinton. "And so this morning, before he left Florida and went back to Washington, he said, 'You know, of all the things Governor Romney has said that probably hurts my feelings the most.' He said, 'You know, I never had any money when I was a kid. and the first new car I ever owned I was 30 years old it was a Jeep.'"

Not only does this show just how thin skinned Obama's skin is (not to mention it is all about Obama again as well), but it turns out that the first car Obama ever owned was not a Jeep, it was a Ford. Then again it wasn't his second (a Fiat) or even third car (Honda Civic) either.

4. Marshall_Will on October 29th, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah yeah. His mother and my mother were both mothers! BFD Bubbama. All voters know now is that the car they're -currently- driving better not so much as need the wipers replaced. It'll -break- them!

Yeah, we really GAF about Baby Barack's boyhood shtruggles… These great [inaccurate] little anecdotes make you so much more relatable to as a person. Especially when President Romney grants you a pardon. On 'some' of the many charges you'll be facing.

5. SignPainterGuy on October 29th, 2012 8:12 pm

Hmmmm, I could have sworn it was Romney shipping jobs overseas !? I`m confused ….. AGAIN !

Remember back in the old days, waaaaay back when Obama was trying to sell us ObamaScare, he was talking about those evil insurance companies that won`t pay on claims, like when he crashed his Datsun and they wouldn`t pay to fix it ?! SO, was his Datsun his "4th, 5th or 6th car ?

6. Marshall_Will on October 29th, 2012 8:13 pm

Toilet Paper (in a pinch)

"Paper or plastic? ….. PAPER!

Something tells me these journo-tools are [somewhat] looking forward to not being spoon fed their morning talking points and getting back to straight forward reporting. For many, it will be the only hope of salvaging their careers, Post-O'Drama.

Most won't make the transition. We'll put a list together of those that will be shown the door. Andrew Sullivan; winner of the Most In The Tank For award will go first.

7. Marshall_Will on October 29th, 2012 8:37 pm

Like there's any 'parallel'? Hadn't heard that pathetic anecdote but uh.., that comes under the PIP portion of your policy. Personal Injury Protection. Most states have *required* minimums but He's one of the brilliant legal minds of our time so…

Or like MM said, did he miss the part about having purchased your insurance protection "before" you have an accident/illness?

8. 4_Constitution on October 29th, 2012 9:30 pm

9. jeffythequick on October 30th, 2012 12:51 am

It was a composite car…

Like this one: http://www.collegehumor.com/picture/6757584/car-m

10. SignPainterGuy on October 30th, 2012 1:10 am

Oooo, the Dodge Caravan Dodge !

My Buddy has a pic of the best use of two Chevy Chevettes. In this case, it`s the rears, hatchbacks, complete w/ both gas tanks, two axles, trailer tongue and hitch with fuel line attachment for those looooong trips.

11. Marshall_Will on October 30th, 2012 1:43 am

On the Speed channel they had a father/son build team that was actually functional and they showed both taking turns at their steering wheels, much like "Date Night".

Walk around the shop or your office at work waiting for that back at ya' fist bump. Not happening. It's become a total negative, and that's across all classes/generations. Meanchelle took care of that. No matter how inaccurate someone's statement, saying "Oh-gawwwwd…" in response labels you along side Sheriff Crude. Thanks Joe! And "composite" will have to be in the Yucca Mts. for a half life otr two before we can let it up for AIR.

12. backwoodsconsr on October 30th, 2012 5:30 am

It's a Push Me Pull You!

13. jeffythequick on October 30th, 2012 10:56 am

I prefer the term, Urinalists…

14. jeffythequick on October 30th, 2012 10:59 am

Well, Juanita Broderick (apologies if I spelled her name wrong) told Bill "no" once, and was told, afterward, "you might want to have that looked at."

The real war on women, indeed.

15. jeffythequick on October 30th, 2012 11:08 am

I think he's driving the car into the ditch…

What about those composite airplanes I'm working on?

16. JetHeadJoe on October 30th, 2012 11:11 am

The Times has no problem with editorials or stories that contradict reality, of course. They're just like Obama….they believe their own BS. That's how they're able to pimp non-existing budget policies.

17. SignPainterGuy on October 30th, 2012 1:43 pm

Laminated paper and balsa wood ? The Boeing 797 B-P w/ bi-wings and canards ? Made for acrobatics like in the new Denzel Washington movie, "Flight" ?

Hey, can you imagine the thrill for 400-plus passengers doing rolls and loops in a jetliner ?

18. SignPainterGuy on October 30th, 2012 1:58 pm

Those should be made avail. in boxed sets; Gov. Officials, Journalists, UN Officials, muslim leaders, etc. !

BTW, are you still in Charleston or back home ?

19. Hegelian Dialectic on November 5th, 2012 1:27 am

[...] New York Times presidential endorsements over the years [...]

20. blogc2011 on December 6th, 2012 6:38 am

Kind of like our economy. To be honest; this O'stration has RUINED so many terms, acts, definitions etc. that have essentially become radioactive! ????

21. blogc2011 on December 11th, 2012 5:09 pm

It should be noted that whilst ordering papers for sale at paper seo services, you can get unkind attitude. In case you feel that the bureau is trying to cheat you, don't buy term paper

22. Arthur Lismer artist on December 20th, 2012 9:09 am

23. assignment on December 22nd, 2012 9:41 am

24. blogc2011 on December 31st, 2012 11:43 am

Almost as funny, the Times’ 2012 endorsement for the re-election of Obama says that he’s done a good job of “forming sensible budget policies that are not dedicated to protecting the powerful.” And by “powerful” I assume they mean “people with jobs. Houston dentist

25. blogc2011 on January 14th, 2013 6:18 pm

Yeah. Obama was never criticized as a child or told no. Kinda like Bill Clinton. Two peas in a pod. Water filters

26. saree on March 5th, 2013 4:37 am

A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in a national election. ~Bill Vaughan

27. needlawyerforus on April 30th, 2013 9:07 am

A big thank you for your post.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.

28. Joey Atlas on May 23rd, 2013 8:13 am

I still remember that million-dollar smile Monica and Bills

29. 31 day fat loss on May 24th, 2013 4:54 am

I am Taking My mind back Rewind and i See Million Dollars Monica and Bills Thanks

30. academic essay on June 1st, 2013 3:45 am

You have a way of putting things… I can see the funny part but I am also saddened by the situation we're in right now. I wonder what we'll going to see next in terms of endorsements.

31. Harga BB on June 10th, 2013 8:54 am

Nice post. I learn some thing tougher on distinct blogs everyday. Most commonly it is stimulating to learn to read content from other writers and exercise a specific thing there. I’d would rather use some together with the content in my weblog no matter whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide you with a link in your web weblog. Many thanks for sharing.

32. Harga BB on June 10th, 2013 8:54 am

nice info .. thanks for sharing

33. read more on June 27th, 2013 4:18 am

And that is quite solid and seemingly successful man for no apparent reason loses peace, becoming frustrated, frightened and exhausted.

34. friend tattoos on July 6th, 2013 2:58 am

The post was professionally written andI was exactly searching for.

35. kyle leon on August 21st, 2013 9:24 am

36. Mike Walden Review on August 23rd, 2013 9:38 am

The last Republican the New York Times endorsed was Eisenhower in 1956.

37. saree blouse on September 16th, 2013 8:05 am

“[On writing:] "There's a great quote by Julius Irving that went, 'Being a professional is doing the things you love to do, on the days you don't feel like doing them.'"

38. Joshua Hernandez on September 30th, 2013 5:16 am

our acquired an incredibly practical web site For a great and here researching about some time nowadays. My organization is usually any kind of amateur although your current success is very lots any creativeness for me. Continue the wonderful.

39. bedding wholesale uk on December 26th, 2013 2:22 pm

Thanks for nice instructions :)

40. local geo marketing on February 15th, 2014 4:46 am

The final Republican the newest You are able to Occasions supported was Eisenhower throughout 1956.

41. info wisata murah on February 23rd, 2014 5:46 am

i love bill clinton,

42. Diego on May 10th, 2014 9:09 am

I appriciate your blog and your writings its nice try to give us good article.