Alright, here we go.

As the night goes on, Michelle and I will have updates at her place. I’ll also pop on here when I can for various updates, though I don’t like to be too repetitive between the two sites. Feel free to post comments both here and there about what’s going on in your local races as well, as all of it together will help round out the big picture.

I’m hearing positive news about turnouts, but so far it’s just that — stuff I heard. I can’t imagine the Republican turnout won’t be massive though.

We’ll probably pick it back up here after 8 p.m. EST or whenever results start coming in.

Here’s a breakdown of the evening by way of ZIP:

A timetable for armchair election watchers on how the night will unfold, based on what time the last polls close in each state. All times are EST:

—7 p.m.: Polls close in six states but all eyes will be on Virginia, the first of the battleground states to begin reporting results. If either candidate is comfortably ahead in Virginia (13 electoral votes) that could be a leading indicator of which way the night is going.

—7:30 p.m.: Polls close in three states, including all-important Ohio (18 electoral votes) and competitive North Carolina (15).

—8 p.m.: More pieces of the puzzle will start falling into place as polls close in the District of Columbia and 16 states, including battlegrounds Florida (29) and New Hampshire (four).

—8:30 p.m.: Polls close in Arkansas (six), where Romney is comfortably ahead in surveys.

—9 p.m.: Polls close in 14 states, including battlegrounds Colorado (nine) and Wisconsin (10). Democrats have carried Wisconsin for six straight presidential elections and Obama had the edge in polling going in, so a flip here would be especially noteworthy.

— 10 p.m.: Polls close in four states, including the last of the battlegrounds, Iowa (six) and Nevada (six).

—11 p.m.: Polls close in five Western states, but most are foregone conclusions for Obama. He gets 78 electoral votes from California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington; Romney gets four from Idaho.

— 1 a.m. Wednesday: The last of the polls close, in Alaska. Romney gets three electoral votes. Will many people still be up?

Update: Most scenarios at this point now point to Ohio being a must-win for Romney to have any hope of taking this thing. Can he do it?

For more check out my updates at Michelle’s place. Not shaping up to be a good night, but it’s not over yet.

Update II: Obama has been re-elected. The question must be asked: Was the economy not lousy enough, or was the GOP candidate too weak? Or are we simply now a dependency culture run amok?

Comments

45 Responses to “Election Night 2012 Open Thread; Obama Re-Elected

1. SignPainterGuy on November 6th, 2012 8:48 pm

Now I can`t find it, but earlier I read that in one NC county they are looking at 90% R turnout ! That`s incredible. Folks really do want rid of the marxist-in-chief !

2. Marshall_Will on November 6th, 2012 9:17 pm

Excellent to hear! As I wrapped up my (2) Wards there was a steady stream of well dressed successful folks making their way to city hall! Dims were instructed by the Early Voting Czarina to get their ballots is ASAP!

In Oregon, that means September… Our local GOP/TP had advised our base to hold OFF until the last minute. Um.., if these people were 'dispirited' they certainly weren't showing it?

3. backwoodsconsr on November 6th, 2012 9:30 pm
  4. Granny55 on November 6th, 2012 9:36 pm

Just voted – I live in a small hamlet – but the polling place was very busy. Poll workers at my precinct were getting snarky with one another. My precinct has two different ballots because of school district representation so you either vote in 4A or 4B. One of the workers gave a ballot for A to a B voter and there was quite the disagreement about who was to blame for the error. I am sure they are a little overwhelmed with the turnout so stuff like that happens but it was caught and corrected. Other than that it was busy, I waited in line for about 15 minutes. And I like the fact that we have the paper ballot where you fill in the arrow for your vote. The electronic machines elsewhere seem to be causing problems. I have Fox on right now but may change it till about 9 pm. I don't want to get over anxious!!!

5. SignPainterGuy on November 6th, 2012 9:48 pm

"…..well dressed successful folks ….." Ah yes, the biz Owners and office personnel who are too busy keeping America working to listen to polls and pundits !!

6. SignPainterGuy on November 6th, 2012 9:53 pm

"I don't want to get over anxious!!!"

Precisely why I`m watching "101 Dalmatians" on Hallmark Ch. They don`t even have an election banner on the screen.

Dont`cha just love small town life ?

7. Granny55 on November 6th, 2012 9:56 pm

Did anyone watch the Navy Seal/binLaden movie the other night?

8. Marshall_Will on November 6th, 2012 9:59 pm

"I am sure they are a little overwhelmed with the turnout"

O'Drama finally found a way to bring out the BEST in people! Ahem, like any @-hole supervisor that finally gets canned, the most 'motivational' thing they ever managed to accomplish was uproarious applause when they finally left.

9. Marshall_Will on November 6th, 2012 10:13 pm

You mean the one Written, Directed [edited] and STARRING Dick O'Drama..?

Yeah, heard it was awesome…

10. Granny55 on November 6th, 2012 10:40 pm

Update on my daughter voting in Texas – she is at the polls right now. They told her they would check out the registration error and if anything she can cast a provisional ballot. She actually looked thru some mail and found the voter registration card that was sent to her – so she is registered. Keep you updated!!!

11. SignPainterGuy on November 6th, 2012 10:44 pm

Cool beans !!

12. Anne on November 6th, 2012 10:45 pm

My first grade class had an "election" today. I explained to them that it was pretend because in real life you have to be old enough to know about the people and why you chose them. One little girl said, "Oh, I know why I am choosing Obama! I want a black, I mean, I don't want a white president!" Way to go to her mom. But when it came down to it, she was a swing voter who picked Mitt, saying "I gotta go with him." Woohoo! Although afterwards she sat down with her head in her hands and said, "I should've picked Barack Obama!" heehee. Too late! Unfortunately though it was a landslide for Obama. Hopefully not the case tonight!

Another kid said he was mad because he was so tired of hearing about Barack Obama and George W. Bush. Says a lot about who Obama is blaming when a 6 year old thinks it's all about Bush.

Fortunately there are some whose childhood hasn't been completely skewed yet. One kid wrote in his journal, "I cheer for Barack Obama." I asked why, and he said, "Because he's never gotten to be president, so he should get a turn." I said, "He is our president right now. It's Mitt Romney who hasn't ever had a turn." He got a panicked look and ran back to his desk saying, "I've got to change the name!" Sweet kid.

13. Anne on November 6th, 2012 10:55 pm

I plan on putting on some Poirot movies and pulling out my knitting. I'm sure I won't be able to miss the results on the news in the morning, and frankly at the moment I have enough stress – the stinkin' Dems aren't allowed to add to it!

14. Granny55 on November 6th, 2012 11:04 pm

Why can't we just let kids be kids. Is it really necessary to run a mock election for 1st graders? These kids get so much useless craps shoved down their throats as it is. What ever happened to reading, writing and math? Sorry – if kids were taught the basics the last 30 years – we would have a much smarter electorate instead of the zombies we have voting today.

15. SignPainterGuy on November 6th, 2012 11:10 pm

"A rit of fealous jage" Peter Sellars Poirot or one of the serious ones ?

16. backwoodsconsr on November 6th, 2012 11:21 pm

I used to love watching Bill O'Reilly but now I find him annoying.

17. Marshall_Will on November 6th, 2012 11:49 pm

Found him to be perfectly irrelevant. P'BO looking "presidential" over Sandy. Riiiight Bill. So out of 1,400+ days ( every ONE of them sans a budget btw Bill ) he managed to get thru a day without a "You didn't build that!" moment…

Actually CNBC had a diff. EV count than Fox.

18. backwoodsconsr on November 6th, 2012 11:54 pm

So much nicer having Laura Ingraham on. She's adorable.

19. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2012 12:13 am

SC went for R&R; congrats !

20. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2012 12:18 am

Isn`t she though.

21. Anne on November 7th, 2012 12:21 am

David Suchet. Nothing helps combat election overload like some good ole British tv! Although I will have to look into these not-serious ones.

22. backwoodsconsr on November 7th, 2012 12:26 am

It was expected, but I was glad to do my part.

23. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2012 12:38 am

They`re great, Some of PS`s best work ! Kind of "Get Smart" but with good script and plot !

Yes, I agree; when there`s nothing else in the house for a sedative, British TV is a decent substitute ! ;-)

24. backwoodsconsr on November 7th, 2012 12:56 am

It's sickening the number of people who are still willing to vote for Obama after four years of such terrible economic conditions.

25. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2012 1:03 am

Many of them believe O has been trying to help them, but the Rs have been obstructing his efforts. He just needs more time to get things done !

Spit, gag, puke !

26. Marshall_Will on November 7th, 2012 1:07 am

Not ready by any means to get despondent. There were disappointments from the upper midwest but much counting to go!

27. joyannaadams on November 7th, 2012 1:39 am

I'm with you backwoodsconsr…the two black voters standing in line in front of me actually had their pajama's on, and bedroom slippers…and did not even look 15..but they had kids on their hips, and the lady just glanced at their drivers's license.

They couldn't even get dressed to vote. But they had the lastest IPHONE., and a kid crawling around the floors while we waited in line.

It seems the generations of Obama voters may in fact, be taking over.

Very sad.

28. backwoodsconsr on November 7th, 2012 2:18 am

My hopes for getting out of the poorhouse anytime soon have just been dashed.

29. backwoodsconsr on November 7th, 2012 2:58 am

Four years ago I made this road sign. It still applies.

30. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2012 3:08 am

"Rough" just doesn`t cover it !

31. backwoodsconsr on November 7th, 2012 3:10 am

Nope. But I couldn't think of a way to modify it that would really express what is going to happen to this country now.

32. Jimbo on November 7th, 2012 3:16 am

Dependency begets generations of dependency. People must be educated to liberty, and they are no longer.

My grandchildren will be slaves of the state.

33. backwoodsconsr on November 7th, 2012 3:18 am

"Obama has been re-elected. The question must be asked: Was the economy not lousy enough, or was the GOP candidate too weak? Or are we simply now a dependency culture run amok?"

What has happened is the American people have gotten incredibly effing stupid. I thought people were stupid when they reelected Bill Clinton after he sullied the Presidency with his behavior, but that doesn't even come close to this.

34. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2012 3:25 am

Broken, crooked, bad, steep downhill grade, road to destruction.

35. dancermommd on November 7th, 2012 9:21 am

When I went to bed I had hope even though Grayson was ahead in FL. What is wrong with those people? This morning that was dashed! Not only did Obama win but Tim Kaine won in VA. I really thought there was hope for VA since the only signs I saw were RR signs. And my sister figures she won't ever get another job thanks to this. Excuse me while I go be totally depressed for while.

36. jeffythequick on November 7th, 2012 10:24 am

Well, hells bells…

A list of people to stop listening to:
    Chris Christie – thanks gov, for giving O the boost he needed.
    Dick Morris – Another prediction based on unicorn farts and wishful thinking. A prediction of a win from him is the kiss of death
    Ann Coulter – You're cute and all, but you're just wrong, and full of excuses
    Bill O'Reilly – You're like a helium balloon in a car. You just drift the wrong way.
    The American People – I once had faith in you, but you continue to disappoint. You'll go for the teat of governmont milk, and echew freedom.

37. Granny55 on November 7th, 2012 11:23 am

I am so saddened that this country has become so………..I don't know how to describe it. I know there are good people out there but this stuns me.

38. backwoodsconsr on November 7th, 2012 11:59 am

Totally destroyed, impassable even for a tank, unsafe at any speed.

39. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2012 3:43 pm

NC elected R Governor and Lt. Governor for the first time in 20 years, held the R-majority state Legislature. My county elected an R US Rep. and kept a fairly decent Board of Commissioners. Even Buncombe Co. next door elected an R-majority BofC and they NEVER do that. NC also went for Romney, FWIW (we usually DO vote for Rs for Pres. but Ds for Governor and Lt.), so I`m holding on to the hope that the state will continue our march toward a more biz-friendly environment started by the first R-majority St. Leg. in way over 100 years.

Hoping and Praying for good amongst the bad !

40. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2012 3:48 pm

Barry was re-elected by about 50.6% of the people who could be bothered to vote. I see the Rs as to blame here for not voting.

My point being, half the nation feels as we do ! We aren`t alone !

41. jeffythequick on November 7th, 2012 4:26 pm

My point exactly prior to the election.

To those people that couldn't be bothered to vote, I have the same opinion of your choice as I did before:

Any vote not for Romney was a vote for Obama.

To those that voted their conscience, I admire your decision to vote. While I may disagree with your choice, I cannot hold that against you.

42. maladroit on November 7th, 2012 5:54 pm

I remember how I felt when Bubba was re-elected. This too shall pass. We have 4 years to find a conservative SUPERSTAR and if we don't, Hillary or worse could be the next POTUS.
    I think Rubio is incredible, but his parents weren't quite citizens yet when he was born — not an issue with Barry Soetoro – but the MSM would make it HUGE with Marco.

Look at the bright side: Obama and Biden kept conservative blogs (ilke Doug's) full of interesting material. Now all of your favorite bloggers and authors will be churning out even more Obama/Biden/socialist/marxist/progressive turd material!

We can ALL write books, since there will be no jobs left….

43. ChapBix on November 8th, 2012 10:00 pm

A young fellow at work was telling me Obama is for the little guy and Romney is for the rich. I wanted to ask him what Obama had done for him personally that he was so enamored of him. I bit my tongue and said little. Figured it would be wasted on him. He went on to say Obama was going to win big. On Wednesday he wanted to remind me of how he was right. I walked past him without saying much of anything.

44. ChapBix on November 8th, 2012 10:03 pm

I fear that the straw has decidedly tipped toward perpetual Democrat majority rule and occupancy of the WH because of the 49% dependency class.

45. ChapBix on November 8th, 2012 10:06 pm

We can all write books but we will have to give them away since no one will have the $s to buy them.