thelma-louise-economics

The president who ushered in four consecutive years of trillion-dollar deficits is going to tell Congress what needs to be done to reduce the deficit. I for one am skeptical of the chances for success:

Fresh off his reelection win, President Obama will address the economy on Friday and the action Congress can take to reduce the deficit.

Delivering a statement in the East Room of the White House, Obama is expected to discuss the tax increases and spending cuts that are set to take effect in January, and will likely urge Congress to take action on both.

Let me guess… increased infrastructure spending and “clean energy” investments combined with tax increases while implementing “responsible” spending cuts that will kick in long after his second term is over. Am I close?

Here’s something that won’t surprise you one bit:

He is not likely to put forward a new plan.

I’m a frequent critic of the president, but I will give him high marks for consistency.

Whatever happened to that hastily-written “plan for jobs and middle class security” brochure Obama was waving around on the campaign trail? I was so looking forward to seeing a nation’s economy run according to the dictates of a mailbox flyer.

Actually I knew all along that they had no intention of using that “plan.” No mention at all of labor unions? Not a chance.

Update: “When the going gets tough…”

Comments

36 Responses to “Obama to Speak About ‘Fiscal Cliff’ and Deficit Reduction”

1. archer on November 9th, 2012 12:54 pm

Previously on same’ole, same’ole, zero-speak:

WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION – FROM YOU TO ME AND MINE. BUT, NO JOBS.

To be continued.

2. backwoodsconsr on November 9th, 2012 1:01 pm

He'll try real hard to get the tax increases and get lazy and procrastinative about the spending cuts. The cuts will have to wait till after the government spending programs on green energy prove successful, which is expected to be shortly after the sun starts rising in the west.

3. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 1:40 pm

Spain`s green economy, which is the model chosen for our`s, is over 25 years old and STILL must be subsidized, STILL can`t turn a profit !

4. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 1:46 pm

I expect that he will call once again on only extending the tax cuts "for those who make under $250,000" (even though he and the Dems used to say the Bush tax cuts were only for those who make over $250,000). He will continue his campaign spiel that if only those tax cuts are extended it will be the GOP's fault.

As for cuts, I see him making a compromise. He will say that we should compromise by only allowing the DoD portions of the the sequestor cuts to go into effect while ignoring the domestic spending portion of the cuts.

The other thng I expect to see will be a push for a carbon tax on fossil fuels. He will claim that hurricane Sandy is proof that we need to do something about "climate change" and this will go a long way in helping reduce our carbon output while putting much needed coin in the federal coffers (or something along those lines).

5. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 1:47 pm

And still leads to higher and higher unemployment rates.

6. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 1:53 pm

I`m curious about one thing; will the republicans again be allowed to come along for the ride, but must sit in the back of the bus ? I mean, since they`ve been all obstructionist n stuff for the last 4 years and all !?

7. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 1:54 pm

O/T… SEALs punished for disclosing classified information, but leaks from teh WH still go unpunished.

8. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 1:58 pm

They didn`t release that secret info thru approved channels; you know, the NYSlimes and MessNBCbs ! Add to that, they are islamophobes !

9. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 2:04 pm

OK, enough about Teh One Who Won Two; inquiring minds want to know where Mooch is going on her first post re-election taxpayer provided vacation ?! Will it be a one-stop thing or a whirlwind tour ?

10. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 2:10 pm

O/T: Oblamer`s time in office has been a boon to gun sales and it continues. The left is of course worried about it and now even some gun dealers are realizing that some controls must be put in place ……

11. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2012 2:14 pm

Making the BTC's central to the [now laughable] 'budget negotiations' is like when your wife accuses you of having a secret crush on a woman you've never even seen or met? You find yourself thinking, "If she keeps up this irrational behavior ( I could always FIND one..? )"

12. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm sure any of these would be top on her list:

13. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 2:31 pm

The 10th Myth / Fact I found most fascinating. The left has it backward as usual !

14. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2012 2:54 pm

Wanna' what's even crazier? Come April 15th, NONE of us will have NEAR enough FICA Withholding to come CLOSE to covering our tax bill.!?

You'll have an entire nation -instantly- "in arrears" on their taxes. Unless they qualify for the EIC virtually every W-2 filer in the country will file for an extension while they try to figure out what went wrong?

I slept very little last night. With spiraling food, gas and energy prices NONE of us will have the extra coin to fork over. THEN the interest and penalties start piling up…

15. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 3:04 pm

Great article. Thanks for sharing it.

16. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 3:06 pm

And if Obama gets his way and adds additional taxes (above what he has already added) then we will all have even less coin to stretch even further.

17. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2012 3:16 pm

We'll ALL wind up "working for the government".

Ever since the MINUTE Ohio fell, the knives have been brought out for Michelle. For her t-r-y-i-n-g to be positive, upbeat and show a little leadership in dark DARK times, I guess she should be apologizing?

Not that anyone HERE needs any reminding but it was HER that confronted Porkchop Patty YEARS ago when she worked in Seattle about younger generations and the inherent unfairness to younger taxpayers re: FICA! Of course Patty had to turn to her aide for translation?

This trainwreck was set in motion years ago as true conservatives fought the good fight to avoid derailment. Now that it's too late, of course it's 'our' fault…

18. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 3:28 pm

I saw that MM came under attack from regulars and that surprised me.

After the election, we were ALL stunned and naturally wanted to blame something or someone, but it certainly wasn`t MM`s or Doug`s fault or even Bush`s, it was us against Santa Claus. You can`t beat Santa Claus !

We didn`t lose, we got beaten by the MSM, pop culture, social media, purist Rs who saw no candidate they would vote for so didn`t vote and Santa Claus !!

19. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 3:57 pm

To be honest, I haven't been reading the coments over at MM, just the stories. I figured the trolls would be gloating something awful and just didn't want to deal with it.

It saddens me that some of the regulares are blaming MM, Doug or any of the "just a blogger" types that did more to combat liberalism than any of the so-called GOP leadership did or continue to do.

I agree with the list of whom we got beaten by, but I would add the GOP leadership who cannot seem to grow a spine and stand up for Conservative principles, or even get the message across in a coherent way.

How many times did we see some GOP type on the MSM not give a real rebuttal to anything the libs were saying? Until we get some leadership in the Republican party that has a spine and can put forth the Conservative side of the argument we are doomed to have the liberal media continue to define what it means to be a Conservative.

20. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2012 4:05 pm

Shocked more like. Here these people bust their TAIL for us and had it been ME I'd have said, "PTB/MM will CONTINUE to provide high value reporting and research free of charge. Ahem, HOWEVER, the privilege of posting will be reserved for PAID subscribers..!"

Like I say, as alt. media becomes, well more mainstream, we HAVE to get used to the idea of paying for content! We can't expect to go into 2014 w/ another "all volunteer army". Besides, better Doug and MM than.., the GOP? Who's doing 'more', to develop the Conservative narrative?

21. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2012 4:36 pm

TS,

All I can say is; Gloating becomes NO ONE!

And you're right, there was plenty OF it. What's shocking, not (1) coherent argument was made to justify their vote, or His re-election?

Even going back to '08, the drive, incentive and 'motivation' has been nothing more than giving *half* of America a lawn job. What a blast huh?!

22. archer on November 9th, 2012 4:38 pm

Update:

The world saw how zero and his female handled time away from the WH and world travel with the restraint of a looming need for reelection.

Now, watch out, no restraints and no holds barred, at-will free worldwide travel to get out of WH presidential duties at taxpayer expense for any reason as long as it’s rolled up in the center of some sort of government-need dung ball.

Public or worldwide perception be DAMNED.

23. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 4:42 pm

No surpirse. There is no coherent argument for his re-election.

24. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 4:55 pm

Love it.

25. archer on November 9th, 2012 5:02 pm

Re Update:

To my loyal revenge voters:

Fear not that you are left behind while I travel around the world. I have directed that each one of you receive a chocolate kiss while my female and our offspring travel on AF1 eating chocolate cake.

You can pick up your share-kiss without even leaving home right off the internet. Just go to the unemployment.gov or welfare.gov sites and sign up today.

All Hurricane Sandy and/or Nor Easter victims will get an extra kiss. And to make up for your hardship and just like your free, pre-set democrat voting machine, no citizenship or ID required.

26. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2012 5:54 pm

Pre-Election: New Jersey….

Post-Election: Bangkok!

Because we have such 'pressing' matters there. The images we're seeing in NJ are starting to look more like post-tsunami JAPAN by the day.

27. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 7:38 pm

I think the headline in the DailyMail sum it up pretty well:

Obama to wealthy Americans: Read my lips, I WILL raise your taxes!

28. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 8:16 pm

YES, combine the octopus republican leaderless-ship with the left given the blow horn to define what it is to be conservative or even Christian, what chance did we have ?

I told the RNC continually by mail, email and phone that they`d get not one thin cent from me until AFTER they had established a record of demonstrating conservative values. They never responded to me, just kept sending me those stupid pleas for money poorly disguised as surveys !

29. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 8:22 pm

The GOP / RNC certainly aren`t ! They`re talking about more amnesty measures to attract Latinos when they want either far more unashamed Christian Conservative values or more gimmies, depending on whether they are legal or illegal !

30. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 8:23 pm

Yes, that`s gun "sales" control I can believe in !

31. Truesoldier__ on November 9th, 2012 8:24 pm

Exactly. And as 1986 proved, an amnesty will only be a magnet for more illegal immigratns that will want more benifts and vote for the D.

32. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 8:26 pm

As Rush said today, Barry campaigned on raising taxes and stickin` it to the rich !

33. backwoodsconsr on November 9th, 2012 8:28 pm

Just forwarded that one to some family and friends. That could not be more true.

34. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 9:12 pm

One of my customers, a military surplus store, had me make a sign for the front door; "Concealed weapons welcome here". It increased biz immediately.

35. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2012 9:50 pm

A legal immigrant caller to Rush today `splained the situation for so many in Mexico. He said they have little if anything with little chance of improving their standards there, but the dems play their tv, radio and print ads "Come to the US and get food stamps and free medical treatment n stuff, care of the dems" and BOOM, they come in drives, collect and VOTE !

36. writing service on January 12th, 2013 10:23 am

One Who Won Two; inquiring minds want to know where Mooch is going on her first post re-election taxpayer provided vacation ?! Will it be a one-stop thing or a whirlwind tour.