Earlier this week, goofball historian Doris Kearns Goodwin was longing for the days when excusing extramarital affairs was the only way to keep good people in public life. She referenced Roosevelt, who had a female mistress (as did Eleanor’s husband, Franklin), and of course Kearns Goodwin invoked Bubba and his magical graphite zipper. Also David Patreaus:

“I wish we could go back to the time when the private lives of our public figures were relevant only if they directly affected their public responsibilities….This man was a great general, a great leader, and for his career to come to an end because of a private matter that affects his family and him and evidently doesn’t have national security concerns.”

People’s Exhibit A of why Kearns Goodwin couldn’t be more wrong:

Paula Broadwell, the author who allegedly had an affair with former CIA Director David Petraeus, is suspected of storing significant amounts of military documents, including classified material, at her home, potentially in violation of federal law.

A source familiar with case told ABC News that Broadwell admitted to the FBI she took the documents from secure government buildings. The government demanded that they all be given back, and when federal agents descended on her North Carolina home on Monday night it was a pre-arranged meeting.

I’m all for privacy, but with some public figures who hold sensitive government positions, the risk of being compromised is just too great. As for politicians, I always figured if you can’t trust them to uphold marital vows, how can they be trusted to uphold their oath of office?

Comments

43 Responses to “Doris Kearns Goodwin’s ‘Benignity of Marital Infidelity Among Public Figures’ Theory Immediately Falls Apart”

1. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 6:35 pm

People’s Exhibit A of why Kearns Goodwin couldn’t be more wrong:

Let us not forget that Bubba was so distracted dealing with Monica that he let multiple opportunities to get Bin Laden slip through his fingers, to include at least once when a foreign government had Bin Laden gift wrapped with a big red bow to give to us and Clinton passed on the opportunity.

2. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 6:36 pm

O/T..in other news, Obama admits that he sent Susan Rice out on the talk show circuit to discuss Benghazi:

"As I said before, she made an appearance at the request of the White House in which she gave her best understanding of the intelligence that had been provided to her. If Senator McCain and Senator Graham and others want to go after somebody, they should go after me. And I'm happy to have that discussion with them. But for them to go after the U.N. ambassador who had nothing to do with Benghazi, and was simply making a presentation based on intelligence that she had received, and besmirch her reputation is outrageous," President Obama said at a press conference on Wednesday.

I say we take him up on his challenge and "go after him" along with Susan Rice.

3. The Zoo Keeper on November 14th, 2012 6:36 pm

Right on, right on.

4. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2012 6:44 pm

Love the gang mentality prezzy fiss' bump. No one is "going after" Ms. Rice as she served little more than squirrel bait. In short, that's all they/we/sober people are pointing out.

Thanks for the distraction from the distraction though!

5. archer on November 14th, 2012 6:47 pm

“…is suspected of storing significant amounts of military documents, including classified material, at her home, potentially in violation of federal law.”

The egg shell clog dance, or, committed to non-committal.

She “…is SUSPECTED of storing….”

EITHER SHE DID OR SHE DIDN’T!!
    It would only take a phone call to know for sure.

“…POTENTIALLY in violation…”

EITHER SHE’S AUTHORIZED OR SHE ISN’T!!
    It would only take a phone call to know for sure.

Why the non-committal dance??
    Your inference is guilty, guilty on all counts. Paula Broadwell must be politically conservative.

You people can’t even pick up a phone to find out but you want to be taken seriously as a news source??

6. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 6:49 pm

And by that I mean legally (have to be clear lest some troll make it seem like I am making a threat).

7. archer on November 14th, 2012 6:53 pm

“…prezzy fiss' bump.”

Be still my bouncing belly. :-D

8. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 6:54 pm

I love what Foxnews.com has on their main page.

If Rice had nothing to do with Benghazi then why did Obama send her out to do the talk shows?

9. backwoodsconsr on November 14th, 2012 6:55 pm

"As for politicians, I always figured if you can’t trust them to uphold marital vows, how can they be trusted to uphold their oath of office?"

There are oaths of office and there are oafs of office.

10. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 6:57 pm

Or as they put it on the Dialy Mail:

'I have no evidence at this point from what I’ve seen that classified information was disclosed that would have in any way have had an impact on our national security,' the President said.

So he admits that classified documents were leaked, but he doesn't see that hurting national security. Wow, I feel sooooooooooo much safer now…./sarc

11. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2012 7:00 pm

Right, but it's never too ridiculous to imply as quickly as possible a 70-some odd year old man w/ limited use of his upper body due to maltreatment as a P.O.W and 5 foot nothing sawed off Senator aren't above takin' it to the HNL on a defenseless woman in the parking garage!

12. backwoodsconsr on November 14th, 2012 7:00 pm

Is there any way we can revoke Obama's security clearance? I don't think he can be trusted with classified information. I don't think he understands why there is such a thing.

13. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2012 7:02 pm

No kidding. What's the design here? Drag this thing out until the Coronation?

Not happening. There's no debating The Fiscal Cliff is on 84% of polled American's minds. Besides, half us are probably glad that at least SOMEONE is getting some.

14. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 7:19 pm

With his background of associates I have no idea how he was even qualified for a clearance in the first place.

15. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 7:20 pm

How many of that 84% thinks that the Fiscal Cliff is somewhere in the Mohave desert?

16. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 7:20 pm

or oafs in office.

17. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 7:24 pm

And now this: Egypt threatens to "get involved" if Israel doesn't stop killing terrorists in the Gaza strip.

18. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2012 7:25 pm

My bad, 82%!

Agreed, anyone that also believes "it's important for the two parties to work together on this" might as well be phoning that in from Twenty-Nine Palms?

19. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2012 7:37 pm

"I don't think that word, "classified" means what you 'think' it means Mista' prezzy fiss' bomp?"

Yeah, and like I keep saying, somewhere an E-5 Crypto petty officer is fighting to keep HIS after his wife lost her job at the Navy Exchange?

Watch as the Services are 'directed' by Fiss' Boppah to cut loose all the Enlisted and Officers that came on hard financial times. Mrs. Will called to check in at work and her ( medical device tech. company ) will layoff ANOTHER 5% of global workforce, uh… TOMORROW.

20. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2012 7:46 pm

As several of Andrew's posters noted, having secured the Jewish vote, Obamarcos' is now free to do what he does best. Nothing.

21. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 8:41 pm

There is a whole lot of things going on in the active duty right now to reduce the ranks anyway possible. From not meeting the standards (the "fat boy program, failing PT tests, etc) to QMP pushes (not making rank in a timely manner). Once the weed out all those who cannot maintain the standards and still end up needing to cut quite a few servicemembers is when it will get really ugly.

Many a soldier here on the base are already walking around on eggshells for fear of having a negative counseling and the impact it could have on their retention.

22. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 8:42 pm

I was hoping you wouldn't say golf. From what I have heard he doesn't do that very well either.

23. SignPainterGuy on November 14th, 2012 9:37 pm

I saw today one of the muftis complained that Israel had the nerve to defend themselves against rocket attacks. I guess he thinks the Joooooos should watch an in-coming rocket and move to be where it hits. And not fight back !

24. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2012 10:04 pm

Even the Guard is ramping up the FTP ( Failure To Progress ) outs along w/ a very unforgiving PT Test Policy.

Here's the funny thing tho'? With the Military smack in the Fiscal Cliff Crosshairs, it's yet another Crash The System BONUS! They've long foamed at the mouth to give Mil. retirements a makeover and here's their big chance..!

There's been scuttlebutt Guard drill pay may get cut in half. Thankfully the associations are fighting back and HARD. BUT… of course we need to continue subsidizing the Prog Central employer of the USPS to the tune of $5 bil. a year?

25. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 10:08 pm

Same at the VA level. They are looking to up the co-pays on office visits and prescriptions, while telling Sandra Fluke and her ilk they can have their "free" birth control.

Talk about azz backwards.

26. Truesoldier__ on November 14th, 2012 10:09 pm

What I loved was this twitter statement by Israel after they took out a Hamas leader:

We recommend that no Hamas operatives, whether low level or senior leaders, show their faces above ground in the days ahead.

— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson)

Now that is a hellavu statement!

27. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2012 10:27 pm

TS,

As many posters have noted, when the Fed budget runs amok, the standard M.O is balance it on the backs of the military while keeping as many if not more popular social programs entirely unmolested.

We can than Weepy and Cantnor for that.

28. SignPainterGuy on November 14th, 2012 11:48 pm

IOW, the IDF Spokesperson said, "I got`cher 'Don`t defend Ourselves' right here !"

29. SignPainterGuy on November 14th, 2012 11:51 pm

Heh, Weepy Bonehead and Can`t or Won`t !

30. Dale on November 15th, 2012 12:13 am

It's funny liberals want the sex lives of Democrats to be none of the publics business. I remember when Bush the elder wanted John Tower to be his Sec of Defense. The questions popped up on if he has a drinking problem and if he has had extramarital affairs. He answered no to the first and said that shamefacedly he has cheated on his wife. Needless to say his nomination was rejected. If you are a Dem you can be a drunk (Ted Kennedy), a sexual harasser (Kennedy and Chris Dodd), a flasher (Anthony Weiner), and even a murderer ( see Ted Kennedy again). A Republican doesn't dare fart in his own home without it becoming an inpeachable offense.

31. SignPainterGuy on November 15th, 2012 12:46 am

Dale,

After all that, I`m surprised you left out Der Shlickmeister`s misuse of cigars in the Oval Orafice !

32. SignPainterGuy on November 15th, 2012 12:47 am

WISCONSIN ?? Yes, Wisconsin !

33. Marshall_Will on November 15th, 2012 2:15 am

"Walker must decide by Friday whether the state will create a health care exchange under the health care law or leave those duties to President Barack Obama’s administration."

Scott Walker must ALSO decide if he'd like to slide down a banister full of razor blades, be dipped in sh!t and rolled in cracker crumbs.

Not a freaking chance. It would be financial suicide for BLUE states to do this let alone a fiscally conservative one. Declining puts the cost of setting up and running those exchanges BACK on Team O'Drama. Why would ANY governor let him off the hook like that?

34. SignPainterGuy on November 15th, 2012 2:30 am

Scott appears to be one of the good ones and I hope he does the right thing with plenty of support behind him, more than just the 6.

My Gov. Elect sounds good too and he is already talking about something similar as well as lowering state taxes and stuff. I`m encouraged.

35. jeffythequick on November 15th, 2012 11:36 am

I think that Israel should more proactively defend themselves to the point where if some idiot leader of some state says that they will wipe Israel off the map is tantamount to a declaration of war, and Israel should act accordingly.

36. Truesoldier__ on November 15th, 2012 1:10 pm

Sounds good to me. And if Obama or the Dems complain, Israel could just say they are doing the job that an American President and Congress wont do.

37. Truesoldier__ on November 15th, 2012 1:11 pm

I am surprised that Clinton didn't say it wasn't sexual in anyway…he just couldn't find a humidor.

38. Truesoldier__ on November 15th, 2012 1:15 pm

I wish I could say the same, but alas here in WA ST our Gov elect' sbig plan to solve all the states economic woes is to make access to high speed internet more readily available.

Even if that really could solve the problems I am not sure what communities in WA ST do not have access to high speed internet. I live way up in the hills where we do not even have cable lines running to us, but I have 12 MB/sec download speed DSL through my phone company.

39. SignPainterGuy on November 15th, 2012 1:36 pm

This election taught me something that surprised and pleased me; there are times being in a small county (60,000 ish) has its advantages. We get the most up to date voting machines because there are fewer to buy for the whole county. We get hi-speed, digital i`net / TV for the same reason.

The disadvantage to DSL is the wiring. When phone cos develop a coaxial cable transmission line, they`ll be up to speed.

That being said, my Sis has ATT U-Verse TV and i`net that is surprisingly good. They are able to do a LOT with those few wires.

40. Marshall_Will on November 15th, 2012 1:42 pm

"but alas here in WA ST our Gov elect' sbig plan to solve all the states economic woes is to"

In the words of All Our pResident:

"The 90's called and they want their Economic Development Plans back!"

But evidently in Blue States ANY lie is good enough a lie to get elected? Especially in a state KNOWN for its many great tech co's, this cr@p still seems to 'fly'. Any excuse for (1) party rule! Had Rep. said that they'd have eaten him ALIVE.

41. Truesoldier__ on November 15th, 2012 2:01 pm

True, but cable internet tends to have the problem of shared bandwidth. The more people in your neigborhood connected to the cable internet system, the more the bandwidth is shared. That is why if you look at the user agrrements you will tend to see in the fine print that the super high speeds are only guaranteed for a specific amount of time a day (usually an hour or two). then the i'net company will throttle your bandwidth to give another user their alloted super high speed time.

What will be nice if when fiber optics get to the point that it becomes affordable for day to day use. Then we will see increased inovation when it comes to the delivery of home entertainment.

42. SignPainterGuy on November 15th, 2012 2:29 pm

"….throttle your bandwidth"; I recently upgraded from 15 Mb/S to 30, and had my 20 ish year old connectors / terminals replaced to stop i`net connection drops. It`s fine now, but while I was trying to diagnose my issues with online and on-phone techs, I asked about that "throttling". They of course denied it happened, even for companies using huge swaths of bandwidth. The tech who did the home repairs also denied it, but gave no explanation other than my corroded terminals. I know I`m not using any more speed or bandwidth now than before the upgrade, I`ve had no more TV issues and only a few inet drops (they were somehow different), so I wonder what really IS the definition of "High Speed" ?

Yes indeed, when fiber optics are everywhere, not just in trunk lines, and affordable, we will fer certain be jammin` ! ;-)

43. editorial service on November 25th, 2012 1:30 pm

I absolutely agree with the author's opinion that the politicians can be trusted to uphold their oath of office after marital vows.