Headline spotted at BBC News: Burma hopes Barack Obama visit will boost the economy

Because he’s worked such wonders with the U.S. economy. By now Obama’s probably convinced the leadership in Myanmar to sink a few billion into “clean energy” factories that will end up serving as stimulus for Burmese bankruptcy attorneys.

Obama was welcomed into the country by a hideous mural. I believe this piece is titled “Ear Leader”:

obamamural

Update: If Bush did this it would be the top story on the nightly newscasts tonight highlighting how he’s embarrassing us overseas, but with Obama it’ll barely warrant a mention.

Comments

57 Responses to “Burma Destined to Find Out the Hard Way”

1. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 1:17 pm

Fiscal Cliff be damned, he needed another 'first' for his quiver. Was the plan to fix our financial woes via Twitter on his Blackberry?

180 characters or less should be sufficient. Let's see, read tea leaves/polls, have sycophants/operatives unleash a few misinformation missiles. Wait (1) news cycle to assess crater, drive narrative w/ re-hashed class warfare sound bites lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm noticing not so subtle price increases in virtually every product, service and commodity across the board. Retail for Christmas is already DOA. File under Doug's Having Solved All Other Problems…

2. JetHeadJoe on November 19th, 2012 1:40 pm

Wow…love that mural…too bad that mural wasn't the one that was partially covered in Philadelphia. If there is a better portrait as Obama as the Devil in Disguise, I'd *love* to see it. Evidently the Burmese are far more intelligent the the American "low information" voter that helped Obama get re-elected.

3. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 2:06 pm

Watch for Obama`s Reverse Midas Touch to have its usual effect.

More likely, Zero is salivating at the state of Burma as a goal for America !

Here`s how my lib local paper has it; http://www.citizen-times.com/usatoday/article/171

Also in today`s paper; F&F a Myth and continuation of the lie that Israeli rockets killed a 4 yr old boy, spread in other msm outlets, but debunked as killed by the inept Palestinians themselves.

4. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 2:14 pm

O/T…Saw this policital cartoon that shows Kerry's true supporters:

5. backwoodsconsr on November 19th, 2012 2:14 pm

Obama will boost the economy, if you apply the right definition of boost. I remember this conversation from a TV show when I was a kid:

"What do you do for a living?"

"Mostly I boost banks"

"You mean you rob them, hold them up?"

"Uh-huh."

It was at that point that the man realized he had made a big mistake picking up that hitchhiker.

6. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 2:18 pm

So Obama jets off to yet another foreign country that really has no bearing whatsoever on the problems that America is facing. Not to mention the pricetag of these trips add up really quick.

Makes me wonder if Obama is planning on more trips to downtrodden countries to get pictures to use in his next infomercial (known as the nightly news) in which the subject will be "it could be worse. America could be like this".

7. backwoodsconsr on November 19th, 2012 2:20 pm

Those guys knew that Kerry could be counted on to take a swift boat away from them.

8. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 2:20 pm

Burmese students are looking forward to seeing more "democratic reforms" take place. So we now have something in COMMON w/ them! The wall mural is to remind children not to say Candyman 3 times or he will appear and make a hostage of your economy.

How arrogant and vain of Barky. Here we have one of the most gorgeous leaders in the world and her BACK is to us while we get yet another pose from O'Drama. Who doesn't get nearly as much media coverage..?

9. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 2:26 pm

Count on it !

Some time back, the pRes. was hit by someone about the 9% unemployment rate. He said (para), "Hey, at least it isn`t 11% !"

10. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 2:34 pm

Excellent rant man! Nagin and Madoff are natural choices given the logic employed by this administration. Charles Manson for CIA director while we're at it?

11. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 2:39 pm

Right, how DOES one say "My… country is about to slide over the fiscal cliff, how is YOURS doing!?" in Burmese..?

What could they possibly talk about given our current dire state of affairs? Mr. AHAC indeed.

12. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 3:35 pm

And for the DoJ would be Louis Farrakhan and he could deputise the entire NBPP as agents for the FBI.

While were at it, he could pardon the Blind Sheikh and place him at the head of Homeland Security.

13. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 3:36 pm

I would not be surprised to find out that the mural was done with an endowment of the arts grant.

14. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 3:49 pm

The Blind Sheik as head of DHS. Why not; he sees as well as Nappy Janitalia ?!

15. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 3:56 pm

Unless a certain sinister, shiftiness is somehow 'praised' by the Burmese, I'd say this is another dutiful AP journo-tool release. Nowhere is the U.S' precarious financial position mentioned nor just far down the rungs we have to go to find a nation that still admires us?

Most of Mrs. Will's family back in the Philippines are teachers, nurses, cops and THEIR take on P'BO's re-election is one of condolences. Not celebration! Since few of us would know Burma, they can pretty much spin His visit how they'd like.

16. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 4:24 pm

After my Sis had been in nursing school for a while, she brought 3 friends / classmates home for a visit. One was a Burmese guy who was amazed at the bounty of the US, our huge house, friendly easy-going people. I liked him; he was that over-the-top courteous black guy we`ve seen in movies. After graduation, he went back to Burma to help his people even though he had numerous offers here in the states. I was 11 ish at the time I met him.

A couple years ago, Sis and I were talking about her friends from NS and I asked about Forth Nasong. She told me he had written a few times about the good work he was doing and his high hopes for improvements in the gov. She later learned that he had been killed by anti-reform forces.

17. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 4:34 pm

And that in no way should diminish his sacrifices in our eyes. He fought the good fight paying the ultimate price for what he believed. Much as we will be called upon here over the next 4 years.

I've no choice but to believe the reason I'm not more despondent about this is I lived thru the People's Power revolution in the Philippines and saw a despot infinitely farther down the learning curve than Obama get the axe.

What I think you'll see is our ( the Right Blogosphere ) simply NOT responding to their daily misinformation opting instead to stay focused on Benghazi and other issues they'd just as soon forget about. MM addressed this down the home stretch but it may have been too late.

18. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 5:08 pm

Here's (1) example of the type of head fake, pull-up jumper we can begin to expect from the Left.

In order to undercut our credibility they'll overstate the impacts of their intents w/ carefully massaged press releases and continually back OFF of them to solicit what will continually seem like an over reaction.

Here we have the LAX baggage handlers union toning down to "clarify" it will only be "off duty" personnel that will be staging a protest or 'event' ( not to be confused w/ a Strike! ) that just so happens to be slated for uh… Thanksgiving Day. Gee, wonder how THAT got taken out of context..?

19. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 5:11 pm

I can`t allow myself to surrender to "It`s too late!" I have to believe we`re just still in the recruitment / indoctrination phase of communism. We have to suffer more doses of the poison to see the truth.

We`ve all heard the stories like the one of a CIA guy going thru classes on how to resist the recruitment into Communism. After 20 minutes or so, he was ready to yell, "EYYEEESSSS ! Where do I sign up for that ?" It can be made to sound all milk n honey and unicorns and utopia ! You can`t really blame our yutes for falling for it when it`s what they`ve been indoctrinated into most of their lives. They haven`t yet seen the destitution that comes farther down the road !

20. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 5:16 pm

Re; UPDATE: Of course Bush would be hounded mercilessly if he`d made that mess of the civil rights icon`s name. He was dragged over the coals for pronouncing it, "NUCULER" ! I`ve been fascinated by how many of the MSM talking heads say it the same way, with NO repercussions !

21. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 5:39 pm

Well played Sir! In support, here's a quick excerpt from Star Parker whom I've followed almost as long as MM:

"Here's an excerpt from a letter I received the other day from a college professor: "[T]hroughout this election I discussed with students the differences between ideologies. The majority of them are on federal financial aid. They are fine with more taxes as long as they will be taken care of. It is disturbing to hear that they are willing to spend their own money on tattoos and cell phones but cannot buy the book for class until the financial aid comes in."

Does that not speak volumes? So are they there to get tat's and gab it up on cell phones or LEARN? Guess that depends on who is picking up the tab?

22. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 5:57 pm

And it gets worse. The DC has an article about how DHS has a guide for new immigrants on how to get welfare and the likes.

As if we don't have enough takers already in America this administration is actively recruiting them from other countries:

23. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 5:58 pm

Or if pics of him seeming flirtatious (ala Obama) had been put out there:

24. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 6:20 pm

TS, my (1) conservative friend in all of Austin, TX enlightened me about a similar and stunning scam involving Illegals claiming like 30 dependents and getting WHOPPING IRS "refund" checks while auditors were told to STFU.

I'm sure we're not the only people openly wondering how someone that can't even speak english can roll up to the pump in a brand new F-350..? And from there word of mouth perpetuates the scam. There's more links than we can post but it's all been verified by the IRS auditors themselves. And as you'd imagine, this has been going on for years…

25. jeffythequick on November 19th, 2012 6:34 pm

My lovely wife, Mrs. thequick and I had a conversation about NBC and their ilk, and my basic point was this:

Honey, would you approve of me watching pr0n 8 hours a day?
    Why not?
    Because, eventually you'd not look at me as a woman, but as a thing to use for selfishness, and nothing more. You'd debase me, and be upset if I didn't do those things that those women degrade themselves into doing.
    As is how I think of the mainstream news, and now, Fox is becoming one of them.

Kids, it's going to be an interesting 4 years.

–just for clarification, I asked the questions in italics…

26. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 6:50 pm

JTQ,

Haven't watched a MINUTE of Fox since the election night. Why? So we can hear Dick Morris explain why months of 'landslide' assurances got it all wrong? Oh… ( and peddle his latest book )

We had our suspicions long ago but sucked it up and supported them in the hopes we'd pull through this thing in (1) piece. MM includes her vid-spot in the newsletter so now we don't have to sit thru the other 54 minutes of Sean's complete idiocy.

There'd need to be a floor to ceiling overhaul before I'd consider watching!

27. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 7:01 pm

Agreed. I can understand why Beck left when he did. Between Sean's pandering to the establishment types and O'Reilly's I'll take whichever side seems controversial in an attempt to boost his ratings, it is a wondering that anyone watches at all.

28. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 7:07 pm

O/T..looks like Hostess may have folded:

"Hostess Brands Inc, its lenders and the unions representing its striking workers, agreed to start mediation hearings on Tuesday at the urging of a U.S. bankruptcy court judge."

Let me guess, this is a mediation by the National Labor Relations board. You know, the same one that went after Boeing for daring to build a plant in SC. Yeah that is going to work out really great for Hostess.

29. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 7:34 pm

Perhaps [wisely] MM has limited her exposure there and it might have been to preserve her own brand, making sure the two weren't inextricably LINKED?

They need all new HOSTS, not just set makeovers. I'd rather see O'Reilly for 6 minutes on Dennis Miller's show than the inverse! I'd bring Bernie Goldberg front & center and get Brent Bozell out of the shadows.

But the big difference is, we can [obviously] no longer just sit around and WAIT to see what whoppers MSNBC etc. cranks out and then just "react" to it. It's been a recipe for disaster.

30. jeffythequick on November 19th, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm almost afraid to try out the Blaze, for fear of losing all hope. I remember hearing Wilkow the first time, and loved it, but for 3 hours, it's like a Levin marathon, and I can handle only so much of him. Not that there is anything wrong with either, but sometimes I need a cough drop, not a whole bag of them.

31. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 7:41 pm

“My desire to do this is prompted primarily by the potential loss of over 18,000 jobs as well as my belief that there is a possibility to resolve this matter notwithstanding the losses that the *debtors* have incurred over the last week or so…"

Um… those would be CREDITORS your Honor..! I'll loan you my Barron's MBA Desk Reference if you think it will help? Here's the PROBLEM; when you look at most companies over the last (4) years they've ALREADY shed as much leverage/driftwood as they COULD! Look at their business model, show me where they can tighten up?

32. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 7:51 pm

Exactly. From what the articles have been pointing to is that Hostess, like many companies, are looking to have the unions take on a bigger share of the cost burden of pension and health insurance costs as it is the only place left to cut.

Of course the unions see it another way, they see it as how dare these rich capitalists take from our union coffers. The believe that the companies have made enough money (to use an Obama phrase), so they can afford to continue to pay these costs and if it means the company gets shut down so be it. What better way to stick it to the man.

33. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 7:59 pm

"as it is the only place left to cut."

Right, like they fluffed an 8% pay decrease out there just to stir things up? What possible repercussions could there be! Doesn't every management team like to bump up against ERISA Law on, days that end in Y?

We went thru this w/ Delta too. Everybody made concessions ensuring all parties were miserable. It sucked but what can you do?

34. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 8:05 pm

Jeff,

I think this is a good part of why MM started Twitchy. Regardless the election's outcome, traffic to strictly pol-sites was bound to drop off. Either out of relief, or DISGUST.

As all our Housing Bubble blogs morphed into political blogs once the Era of Endless Bailouts commenced! We warned posters to keep it in between the guardrails but ultimately traffic wins out. Anyone remember F@cked Company during the dot.com implosion? The Mortgage Implode-o-Meter?

It's now the same in inverse.

35. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 8:18 pm

Rush, Romney and even I are catching flak for saying that the left voted for Santa Claus.

36. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 8:24 pm

Add Laura Ingram (sp?) !

37. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 8:31 pm

Aah, I see why M_W referred to her as "gorgeous" ! Yeah, I`d flirt with her too, but keep my kissing and touching to myself. There`s a couple shots that show her discomfort. There`s an art to flirting and I don`t see Zero as an artist !

Hafta wonder if Mooch had a few words with Teh Flirty Won Again later ?!

38. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 8:38 pm

Over the AM radio static I heard on the news that the co. reps said something like, "The unions are intransigent" or similar sentiment and the unions are saying that, "the co. is mismanaged."

Yep, that looks like a great place to start……

Get ready to get your Twinkies from another country soon.

39. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 8:45 pm

Mmmmm, Chinese Twinkies……

40. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 8:46 pm

I had also heard that the company had tried to find a buyer about a year ago, but no on wwould touch them due to the union contracts.

41. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 9:01 pm

Only making the judges observations all the more ridiculous.

You know guys, I'm already seeing fewer choices at retail grocers and even the clothing outlets seem to be pimping the same basic inventory of apparel. Isn't this what Soviet bloc citizens complained about for years? Zero consumer choice, everyone wearing the same THING?

Will we look back and see Hostess as the canary in the coal mine? From the retailer's perspective, the margins just aren't THERE to continue to offer shelf space to slower moving items. Especially when shoppers are grabbing for discount brands anyway?

42. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 9:06 pm

Just waiting for the drab colored overalls with matching cap and little book for the breast pocket.

43. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 9:06 pm

(ala the little Vietnamese bar owner in "Good Morning Vietnam) "With just a touch of formaldehyde for flavor" !

I don`t want anyone to be out of work or any biz to close, but exactly that is what may well be what the Dr. ordered to to remove union`s stranglehold on labor. They care not for anything but their bosses` power and control !

Thur. and Fri. the unions plan to have Walmart workers stage a walk-out in show support of unionizing. I hope they instead get their third NO from Walmart workers. We`ll see !

44. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 9:26 pm

And it isn't just the unions that are trying to grab whatever they can to put inthe coffers.

I saw over at the DC that states are now charging corporate income taxes to companies that reside in other states if they meet one of the following criteria:

“The corporate level taxes that are almost always imposed at the headquarters level are being imposed the states in which the corporations don’t have any employees or inventory or property,” the group’s spokesman Jeff Birnbaum told The Daily Caller News Foundation.

Today, there are about thirty states that will collect taxes on corporations “if they have a franchise license, they have a franchisee, or even if they have let’s say trucks that go through these other states,” Birnbaum added.

: http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/19/businesses-taxe

45. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 9:29 pm

O/T…Obama admin sends Assistant Secretary State for International Organization Affairs to … Minneapolis

46. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 9:44 pm

What if they buy a PLANE instead but get routed through..? Yeah just ridiculous. More faux barriers to entry. So many states are just jumping on the Me So Desperate/Cali bandwagon.

True, they're nearly all insolvent but their primary issue is they built locals gov's based on ever-rising property values, hence ever-rising property TAXES. When they finally failed to materialize, they had over-hired. In many cases it's perfectly manageable but so much easier to crash the system like the rest of their accomplices.

47. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 9:48 pm

Hmmmm, I smell fresh human rights abuses to be cited ….. against the US !

48. jeffythequick on November 19th, 2012 9:50 pm

Way O/T, but if you want to see what Jeffy looks like, here you go: http://www.petside.com/slideshow/thanksgiving-pet

Also… http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video.html?free

They say the camera adds 10 lbs, but I think it was 2nd helpings for 30 years…

PS. I'm the one on two legs.

49. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 9:56 pm

It was not long after I quit driving trucks (1980) that the ICC (Interstate Commerce Comm.) was abolished. It sounds like that agency would be all about unifying trucking rules, fees and taxes, but NO, they allowed states to have their own onerous rules and regs. For instance; if a trucker did not buy fuel in a state, he could be charged anyway fuel taxes computed by the # of miles he drove in that state. We had to stop somewhere in ea. state and bought some fuel to get by it. It didn`t seem to matter too much how much fuel we bought, so long as we did in fact buy SOME ! Nat`l fuel tax apportionment straightened that out. (ever notice the word "apportioned" on truck tags ?)

It looks like someone from `70s gooberment is back in office !

50. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 10:03 pm

Weird. Just…

States have been trying to hammer online retailers since, well since there have BEEN online retailers! We'll assume the same rules will apply as purchases traverse their 'hood'.

Hey, if I go silent it's this STORM we've been having all day. Seeing emergency trucks go by since this AM and got all the candles/flashlights at the ready!

51. Truesoldier__ on November 19th, 2012 10:15 pm

I know the feeling. We have been having some high winds and flickering lights since last night up our way as well.

52. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 10:16 pm

Fantasmigorilous ! I wondered what sort of Service Dog you had; you never explained it. I`m so glad for you to have the peace of mind afforded by Cooper. I take it, Boeing is accommodating of him.

I`ve heard of dogs that on their own could smell cancers and other diseases and more that can after training.

Not to be morbid, but I read last year about a cat that had been adopted by a nursing home as a companion for residents. The cat would tour the whole facility greeting everyone, but it had the nack for knowing when death was near, as he would stay in the room of someone who was about to "depart".

I see you ARE the one with only two legs AND the Dad of a very cute young lady.

53. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 10:20 pm

Ironically Mrs. Will and I took some time off to go to the coast and it was absolutely fantastic! I mean cruising around w/ the windows down at NIGHT fantastic.

Course that was 72 hours ago and now I have to CARRY the dog out so she won't blow away? Hurry… UP! Anyway I'd rather this than our usual DREAR. At least it's noteworthy?

54. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2012 10:29 pm

I feel for both of you. I always wanted to visit the PNW to see the lush green forests and of course, the volcanoes n stuff, but I can`t stand interminably endless days of rain or cloudy gray days.

When we actually do get a snow deep enough to play in, almost as soon as the snow stops, the clouds part and melting begins.

Good luck with the storm, I see it on LiveWeatherRadar; a big`on !

55. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2012 10:37 pm

SPG,

It was reported one hunter was killed when a tree fell on his tent. Other people in the camp tried to revive him but were unable. Nothing on the scale of Sandy tho'.

Watched the NG special on that Sunday night and they behaved for the the first 50 mins. but the last 10 couldn't contain the old AGW… Though they've gotten somewhat better, pointing out as Doug always does, the dollar amounts get bigger year after year because..?

56. jeffythequick on November 20th, 2012 12:29 am

Boeing couldn't be more accommodating to us, and the funny part is more people know Cooper than me. It's Cooper, and "that guy with Cooper"

Rowyn was behind the camera, and the cameraman was teasing him with the bone. The funny part is the people at work thought it was a different dog because normally, Cooper is pretty laid back (by design).

57. SignPainterGuy on November 20th, 2012 1:21 am

"It`s Cooper, and 'that guy with Cooper' " Aah haa ! There`s just nuthin` like knowing your station in life ! ;-)

He`s a great looking pooch. I never knew a golden retriever that wasn`t calm; they have such neat dispositions !