The unions tried to disrupt things, but it looks like that effort will fail big time:

After opening earlier than in previous Thanksgiving weekends, Wal-Mart reported its “best ever Black Friday” sales, including bigger crowds than last year, the company said Friday.

The retailer rolled out deals starting at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. From 8 p.m. to midnight, Wal-Mart processed nearly 10 million register transactions, handling 5,000 items a second, the company said. Mmore than 22 million shopped in Wal-Mart’s stores during the four-hour period.

Last year, the chain opened at 10 p.m.

More than 1.3 million employees are staffing the holiday weekend, Wal-Mart U.S. chief executive Bill Simon said in a statement.

Protesters made an effort though. I can’t help but wonder if the union sent those protesters out to picket in favor of a “living wage” while paying them minimum wage and offering zero benefits. They’ve been known to do that. Look for the union irony label.

I guess one thing Big Labor can consider a resounding success is this: Nobody was able to buy Twinkies at Wal-Mart today. That’ll teach ‘em!

Comments

15 Responses to “Sorry Unions: Wal-Mart Reports Record Black Friday Sales”

1. SignPainterGuy on November 23rd, 2012 5:09 pm

It`s still fascinating to me that regardless the effort of unions to paint WallyWorld as horrible in every aspect, the workers themselves, on their own, continue to work there and say resoundingly, "NO !" to unionization.

In case anyone has forgotten, the whole Hate WalMart thing started AFTER the first failed unionizing attempt and their produced anti-WW film / crockumentary. It really heated up after the second attempt and resulting second film.

Can we reasonably expect to hear of a 3rd film ?

2. Marshall_Will on November 23rd, 2012 5:15 pm

"handling 5,000 items a second"

What the..? Impressive any way you'd care to slice it. Hiraghm ( at MM's ) had the inside skinny as mgmt. took employees aside in meetings taking time to explain precisely what the union's objectives were. Namely create a massive cash flow stream, they'd see little if any 'benefit' from.

For the most part, those we see working the retail floor, are NOT primary bread winners. It's moms re-entering the workforce once children are old enough, seeking *supplemental* income. Retirees that found themselves incurably BORED or whom saved inadequately and legions of casual/seasonal emp's unsure where their true calling lies.

If you're like me, you've quite ENOUGH of the professional Left beating you over the head deploying the Walmart employee as case in point that greedy capitalism has failed, them, their local community and the country at large. They WON. Talk about sore winners. For those that thought re-anointing O'Drama would put an END to all the tom foolery and we'd get ON w/ the business of healing our economy.., Happy Strikesgiving! Are we DONE here?

3. SignPainterGuy on November 23rd, 2012 8:42 pm

Isn`t it amazing how the rank n file union member is all for unions but doesn`t realize how little benefits actually reach them, but the union bosses roll in it !

Rush pointed out that the left should be happy that they won, but appear to be as unhappy as ever if not even angrier ! There is no pleasing them ! As we said about the OWSers; if they got all they`re demanding, they`d hate it !

4. Marshall_Will on November 23rd, 2012 9:27 pm

Michelle pointed out in her coverage of this, rather sordid Union Affair that WM's "appeasement" bought them all of (a) day. Because the very next day they were @-holes where TPL was concerned.

Hopefully this is a stern, harsh 'experience' for other CEO's that their ultimate objective is ownership of your company, or the DESTRUCTION of it! Whatever comes first. Anything shy of 100% Total Capitulation (TM) = Re-education!

5. SignPainterGuy on November 23rd, 2012 9:38 pm

The WM and other as yet non-unionized Co. CEOs strike me as Charlie Browns hoping THIS TIME Lucy will hold the ball still and he (they) will actually get to kick the football !

Is it learning, UN-learning or just plain NOT learning going on here ?

6. SignPainterGuy on November 24th, 2012 1:33 am

Only about 26 WalMart protests nationwide with perhaps 50 WalMart employees involved sounds like a big fizzle to me !

50 out of 1.3 Million employees doesn`t sound like very many are interested in unionizing.

7. Marshall_Will on November 24th, 2012 2:42 am

Can't be 'learning' because the def. of insanity is WHAT again..? UN-learning would note a marked i-m-p-r-o-v-e-m-e-n-t so no, that can't be IT?

Perhaps Linus waiting for The Great Pumpkin? Last I heard, he, his thumb sucking and security blanket are still there w/ the most sincerest punkin' patch of all..!

8. Granny55 on November 24th, 2012 9:46 pm

Back from my week long visit to daughter and family in Fort Worth ( I am really getting to like the Ft. Worth area) Here is my report. Walmart in Keller TX was shoulder to shoulder packed Mon, Tues, Wed. On Thursday there was not a protester to be seen only long, long lines as reported by the neighbor who does the Walmart sale. My daughter and son-in-law went to the Black Friday sale at Cabela's and scored a $1000 generator for $279.00. My daughter said they were ten deep in the firearms and ammo aisles. Now Cabela's had a great sale all around. My son-in-law is a manager at a shooting range and when he arrived at work on Friday they were lined up around the building waiting to sight in and shoot their new firearms. They have been booked solid since.

BTW, got a great lesson in handgun use from my son-in-law and an hour at the range before I even put the turkey in the oven – awesome. The both have a great collection and I was amazed at the fire power!

Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe Kroger is a union shop. They have a fairly new Kroger near their house. Beautiful store – when they keep the shelves stocked. Had to run in for a few things on Wednesday. At 10 am the spice/baking aisle was decimated and two managers were handing out spices directly to the 35-40 customers looking for cinammon, pepper, flour, sugar, brown sugar, etc. People were lined up for any and all milk products. Workers were in the dairy fridge and as they slid it into place people were grabbing the products. It actually appeared that the night shift did nothing. The morning crew was scrambling and I know it was busy but it appeared to me that nothing got stocked the night before.

Our meal was delicious. My daughter loves to bake so after we stuffed ourselves with the usual – we had our pick of pecan caramel cheesecake, apple cobbler and pumpkin cheesecake pie. Enjoyed the Ft. Worth Festival of Lights parade last night and now I am home missing my fast growing grandson for three weeks and then I return to the scene of the spoiling crime for Christmas for another week.

Missed you guys – even though I had access to the site – I wanted to spend every moment possible with Jacob. Hope everyone enjoyed their blessings of family, friends and foods

9. Granny55 on November 24th, 2012 10:31 pm

And PS: Son-in-law rented the History Channel film Hatfields and McCoys. It was excellent. Tom Berringer played the perfect part of the head pric& and Kevin Costner was equally as evil. Really good show. I hate Hollyweird but this was a good flick.

10. Marshall_Will on November 25th, 2012 12:16 am

Yeah that was good. Bill Paxton and Powers Boothe were exceptional as well.

No qualms w/ the DFW area myself, but in the same manner I found San Antonio thoroughly enjoyable! What it made clear to me was the once thriving Fil-Am community Portland enjoyed has… all but evaporated. Years of devolving into a radical screechfest/"Amsterdam West" have turned off a largely Conservative and Catholic population.

Bit by bit, the restaurants, ethnic shops and grocers etc. pretty much threw in the towel. Of all the couples and friends we had upon moving here in the late 80's, only (1) still remains. If one spouse were a transplant, they moved back there, if they were both Pinoy's, uh… they booked a flight back to the islands!

San Antonio has a HUGE FA community and it felt great to be a part of it again, if only for a few months. The food ALONE makes it worth it! Portland's 'tolerance' and New Civility doesn't have room for minorities that don't vote Dim lockstep.

11. SignPainterGuy on November 25th, 2012 1:45 am

Liberals First, Foremost and Always ! Any and everything else is a far distant second !

12. Jane on November 25th, 2012 2:58 pm

Don't you also find it ironic that the way to avoid landing in a light, unskilled position, such as a Walmart cashier or stocker, is a good education?

13. SignPainterGuy on November 25th, 2012 3:46 pm

In better times, YES, BUT, how many cases of people with post-graduate degrees have we heard of working at Micky Ds` drive thru ? LOTS !

Education is not enough in this time of Hoax and Chains !

14. Zacharia on December 14th, 2013 1:52 pm