Yesterday morning I ran across this and thought it helped put our government’s insane level of spending into perspective…

The most recent Powerball jackpot was $570 million. Just for fun, let’s assume the Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner went into Turbo-Mart and bought a ticket on behalf of the U.S. government. Then let’s assume that the government was the lone winner of the jackpot (and just for kicks let’s stretch reality even further and assume the prize isn’t taxed).

At current spending levels, as the Heritage Foundation points out, that amount of money would fund the U.S. government for about one hour and 26 minutes.

Of course, that was yesterday. The length of time is probably down to about one hour and 24 minutes by now.

Comments

10 Responses to “If the US Government Won the Latest Powerball Jackpot”

1. SignPainterGuy on December 1st, 2012 3:38 pm

Several people talked about the same thing yesterday, ranging from an hour and ten minutes to an hour and a half. Sounds like some peoples "rounding" ends up a bit pear-shaped !

Also in the discussion was the amount of money that could be confiscated from the richest 2% of Americans and how long THAT would fund the gooberment – just over a week. Stretch it up tot the top 10% and the gov. lives high on the hog for a bit over a month. That`s ALL their wealth, not just a year`s worth of earnings, which means that those at the top of the wealth scale would have next to nothing to be confiscated next year. Like killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

It`s not about solving any gov. funding issues; it`s all about satisfying the envious brain-dead libs by punishing the evil rich.

2. Doug on December 1st, 2012 4:13 pm

I used Heritage's number, but when I did the math based on summer of 2011 spending I got a slightly shorter length of time — an hour and 23 minutes as I recell.

3. SignPainterGuy on December 1st, 2012 5:35 pm

I didn`t mean to call into question "your" numbers or math skills and I apologize if you got that impression. I just meant that, like with so many things, it matters who is your source. As so many things are secretive about this admin., you just know even the best figures are minus considerable spending and borrowing.

Glenn and Rush both mentioned the figures, each different and FWIW, FOX Radio News gave your 1:26 number.

4. Marshall_Will on December 1st, 2012 8:55 pm

SPG,

I'm with you 570 million percent..! The mentality you describe is precisely why cities like Nanking and Manila were raped. looted and burned to the ground. There was nothing to be GAINED by it, other than to make someone 'else' PAY!?

What ardent Leftists don't want to understand ( and we need to put together a LIST of issues they can stop pretending they don't get? ) is that even the Evil Booosh Tax Cuts were something of a compromise!

The debate over the double taxation of dividends in this country is.., well as old as dividends! Taxed at the Corporate level and then AGAIN when distributed to shareholders! All the BTC's did was take the rate down to 15% from 28%! NOT to 'zero'. As for "capital gains"..? I'm confident if you GAVE me a commercial building w/ a FMV of $750K, I'm certain I could sell it for half a mil. down the road…..

5. joyannaadams on December 2nd, 2012 12:49 am

Okay, that means that the government should tax the lottery winnings at no more than ten percent. WHY do they always end up with the bulk of it? If it won't do them any good, let the lottery winners use it…and employ some people with it.

Oh. I get it. They want their 15 minutes of bang time. Let's move the Capitol to Nevada. They've been on sacred ground for much too long.

6. Marshall_Will on December 2nd, 2012 3:26 am

Spot on as always. In the face of an anti-Dim turdstorm in 2010, Whorehouse Harry's last minute 'surge' against Sharon Angle served as the blueprint… where ( according to Lame Cherry ) "America is now a place that 'lives' ( only in our hearts… )" (para )

We're going to BEAT you if we have to hire the Mexican Cartels to assassinate registered GOP voters in their SLEEP. Hey, ya' 'know'.., "life's a GAMBLE!" after all, and… ya' win some and…? So this is the New American Way where we've moved the 1st Down markers toward reflection of 'what' ( if any ) crumbs/BOODLE you might garner from DC/Connected Cronies or whether you'll be installing a corn-cob boiler on the front seat of your '68 ( post Obamalyptic ) Vista Cruiser?

7. jeffythequick on December 2nd, 2012 5:39 am

The US Government can just get in on this story, by the way they're going…

8. SignPainterGuy on December 3rd, 2012 1:48 pm

DOUG, Please check your latest post comment format, or something; it is showing the boxy format and requiring me to login with WordPress and THEN won`t accept my WP login that I know to be correct. I have that issue at a number of sites; I can`t understand what`s wrong.

Is something wrong with your server or is this your new upgrade ? If the latter, I vote "NO" !

9. Laser metal cutter on December 7th, 2012 4:07 am

I can't imagine if the US government won the latest powerball jackpot, it could be a good effect on the government so it could help the economy and the citizen who is in need or it could be in other way around for the own benefits of the government without ever considering it's nations. Hopefully the prize isn't taxed too.

10. Greg Mclardie on February 6th, 2013 5:34 am

US government should prioritize the stability of the economy and should use the powerball jackpot in a right place.