Liberal Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank’s latest offering is confusing. Milbank is critical of Mitt Romney for returning to private business after losing the election instead of sticking around to help sort out the mess in DC:

Romney’s post-election behavior has been, in a word, small. Never again, likely, will his voice and influence be as powerful as they are now. Yet rather than stepping forward to help find a way out of the fiscal standoff, or to help his party rebuild itself, he delivered a perfunctory concession speech, told wealthy donors that President Obama won by giving “gifts” to minorities, then avoided the press at a private lunch with the president.

If Milbank wanted Romney to stick around and help find a way out of the fiscal mess, maybe Dana should have voted for him… ya think?

(h/t AoS)

Comments

41 Responses to “Maybe Dana Milbank Should Have Voted for Romney Then, Eh?”

1. Truesoldier__ on December 5th, 2012 7:54 pm

So Milbank thinks that Romney is the one to sort out the mess, but he wasn't good enough to be President. Just more proof that Obama was elected as part of the cult of personality not due to any real qualifications.

If I were Romney I would have left the scene will flipping the bird to the media and saying have a nice life.

2. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2012 8:01 pm

If there's one person in America that should get the biggest dose of schadenfruede off this, it would be Mitt. He DID offer solutions Dana. And some pretty good ones too. Maybe Milbank and Susan Estrich should just get a room?

3. Truesoldier__ on December 5th, 2012 8:13 pm

O/T….but very important. House Conservatives only need to make sure that 16 members do not vote for Boehner as speaker in Jan to keep him from being confirmed:

4. Truesoldier__ on December 5th, 2012 8:33 pm

I love this quote from Louie Gohmert over today's vote to strike the word "lunatic" from the Federal government:

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) was unapologetic for his lone Wednesday vote against a bill striking the word “lunatic” from U.S. law, and said the word should be used more often to describe many of the people in Washington, D.C.
    [...]
    “In fact, it occurred to me that not only should we not … eliminate the term ‘lunatic’ at a time when we are facing national bankruptcy if we don’t get serious about our issues, but we should also use the term to identify those who want to continue doing business as usual around this town,” he added. “It’s time we got serious.”

He would make a great Speaker of the House.

5. SignPainterGuy on December 5th, 2012 8:55 pm

Mitt DID offer solutions to our economic problems and they were rejected. He`s at least smart enough to know that they were and will continue to be rejected if for no other reason than that they are a Republican`s ideas, but we must add the fact they would have worked and the dims cannot have that; they want to take America down, not rebuild her in good working order !

6. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2012 9:07 pm

Gawd, it's almost funny.

“Speaker Boehner has been an abysmal failure as speaker, and his latest purge is the nail in the coffin for conservatives,” said Ned Ryun, president and CEO of AMA. “Boehner has never won a negation battle with the White House or Senate — and he’s been nothing short of an embarrassing spokesman for the conservative movement. It’s time for him to go.”

Saw MM bumping that hashtag in her newsletter. You GO girl! I say almost funny b/c at an add'l $5T it'll be the most expensive laugh in history…

7. Truesoldier__ on December 5th, 2012 10:00 pm

This really does seem doable. There has got to be at least 16 Tea Party Conservatives in the House that could pull this off. I too was happy to see MM' snewsletter bumping the hashtag. With any luck the next time we will see Boehner weeping it will be as he is stepping down from the Sperakership.

8. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2012 10:24 pm

Didn't think Michelle was being too, 'pushy' just uh… doing her civic duty!

Yeah, and for all the Regressives out there, Weeper's [brief] tenure as Speaker was all we were hoping for from a ROMNEY pResidency! An interim placeholder acceptable to enough mooderates until we could figure out which side/s we were taking fire from?

Hopefully, this transition will make it more graphic for you guys. Oh and Doug, if ever there's anything you or Mrs. M need to make this happen, please don't hesitate to direct troops as required!

Marshall_Will

9. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2012 10:28 pm

SPG,

And yourSELF as a seasoned businessman ( which didn't used to be a dirty word ) just how 'eager' would you be tasked to answer the burning question…

( How do we make Venture So-Shall-ism work? )

What I thought…

10. SignPainterGuy on December 5th, 2012 10:48 pm

Yeah, it doesn`t work, REGARDLESS who is in charge of its implementation this time !

So-shall-ism is anathema to the entrepreneurial spirit !

11. SignPainterGuy on December 5th, 2012 10:55 pm

O/T; Snicker of the day ! There IS a "Silver Lining" to the cone of shame !

12. Truesoldier__ on December 6th, 2012 1:13 pm

Now that is how you take a situation that sucks and make it profitable!

13. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2012 1:30 pm

Now if we can just get SPG to show Sheriff JOE how to do it! It'd be great fun at the bar…

TS, had dinner w/ our Dept. superintendent from down at the base last night. They were up our way for some school. Anyway, he mentioned that he was, kind of coerced into "extending" and it's really not what he had wanted!

There's ( I know.., believe it or NOT ) all kinds of aerospace/def. contractor hiring going ON right now and he had a cherry civ. job lined up when they pulled the plug on his retirement papers. It was kind of sneaky but the point is, if you're 'looking' ( there's plenty to look AT )

Just FYI stuff on a Thursday..?

14. Obama bin Biden on December 6th, 2012 1:43 pm

Dana Milbank?

I never heard of her.

15. Truesoldier__ on December 6th, 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks for the info MW.

16. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 1:51 pm

My BinL did his surgical residency at Chelsea Naval Base in Boston and then transferred to Camp LeJeunne Marine Base in NC for the remainder of his service. There, he became friendly acquaintances with the base commander, an Admiral and fellow surgeon, who told him that he`d spent his entire naval career trying to get out of the Navy. Each time his points would add up to discharge-elligibility, the DoD would up the points, give him a promotion and give him a new assignment. When they made him an Admiral and appointed him Base Commander, he decided to stay ! This was in the early and mid `70s.

17. Truesoldier__ on December 6th, 2012 1:54 pm

O/T…Just saw this and it makes me sad. Sen Jim DeMint has announced he is resigning from the Senate next month to take over the reigns of the Herritage Foundation. Great news for the HF, but we just lost a solid Conservative in the Senate. The only good news is that Gov Nikki Haley gets to choose the replacement, but that replacement will have to run in a special election (some time next year I believe).

18. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2012 2:02 pm

Oh man! That is SO funny! I always used to love knocking on those old Navy guys! Let's see, 11th cruise, 8th promotion, 6 kids ( 3 divorces..? )

"Have you ever thought about making a 'career' out of the Navy?"

19. Truesoldier__ on December 6th, 2012 2:05 pm

Happens all the time. I know of many of people on the base here who have been promoted right after they dropped their retirement paperwork as a way to keep them around. To get the promotion they have agree to stay at least two more years. Now they can turn it down and get out, but you better believe the retirement paperwork will end up in a paperwork shuffle till it is lost and you will spend the next 2 years refiling the paperwork over and over (not to mention you will end up on every sh!t detail and assignment during that time).

20. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2012 2:07 pm

TS,

I know you'd mentioned wanting out of Hopelessly Blue WA and I was -shocked- I tell you to hear there was ANY hiring going on! Man, we're on the Supply-side and have people getting positions in Comm. etc.

In my case ( and 1 other ) it happens I actually 'do' have a background in electronics, but several of the guys I know of that got hired were brought on as more of what I can only describe as a "package hire".

One guy vouched for the other and…

21. Truesoldier__ on December 6th, 2012 2:13 pm

Yep seeing alot of that here as well, only worse. In many of the cases you are seeing people vouch for people who cannot even handle the job, and then having management tell tehm how to hit paydirt on the keyword filters for the job (i.e. how to lie on their resume to ensure it is "chosen") they have and are looking at getting promoted into a position that will negatively effect injured soldiers who ae in the process of a med board. I know of one gal who cannot even keep track of simple paperwork (as she is too busy spending her day online shoping); yet she is looking at getting promoted to case management of med board patients.

I do have a bunch of prospects right now, but I dont expect to hear anything until after the first of the year (I think alot of the places are taking a wait and see approach right now). Of course the more I get my resume out there the sooner I will hit paydirt. In the meantime, I am just thankful that I at least have a steady job.

22. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 2:24 pm

Glenn Beck just minutes ago mentioned this. Glenn said he hoped Jim would form a "DO Tank" instead of just a "think" tank.

SC has many good pols along with some crappy ones – Lindsey Grahamnesty ! We can hope !

23. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2012 2:30 pm

"how to hit paydirt on the keyword filters for the job"

If that's not bad enough, there's this twisted new thought process ( in the AF anyway ) that's all about "cross training". Let's face facts, Maint. sucks. And…. everyone wants OUT.

The -minute- a posting comes up, there's ( and I kid you not ) 20-30 app's and that's just on BASE. We had one come over from what I call "The Maytag Repairman" of Maint. and she instantly turned into a lowlife dirtbag.

Shopping online, FB'ing, sick kid, sick aunt, sick grandma! Dog died,/ate homework, volunteering out in town. And totally new to the job. Morale is in the tank, everyone now knows it was a HUGE mistake but… they're STUCK with her! Already had (3) inter-departmental transfers in under 6 mos. trying to find a 'fit'.

24. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 2:31 pm

A friend enlisted in the Air Force, telling his recruiter he wanted to be a pilot. SURE, we can make you a pilot ….. NOT. There aren`t a lot of 6'-5" pilots, but he did become a mechanic; first on choppers and then on fighters, stationed somewhere in Cuba, I think. His most common repair: bullet holes. Yep, surprised me too !

He`s the one who told me a plane mechanic`s best tool was chewing gum. The gum would seal fuel line leaks and the foil wrapper wrapped around a blown fuse put the plane back in service till real repairs could be made.

25. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 2:42 pm

I mentioned it a while back that I`ve had 2 opportunities to "apply to be" a gov. contractor. It would be really neat to see my signwork along the Blue Ridge Parkway and at Forest Service / Nat`l Park facilities, but after reading some of the requirements of contractors it became obvious I would still own my biz and be responsible for all its obligations, but the gov. would enjoy too many uncomfortable controls over it AND me ! DANGGIT, but No Thanks !

26. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2012 3:08 pm

Eh…? Let's not be hasty here. Just miles from our guard base is Chiloquin, Oregon. A highway sign shop relocated there from MO. No, the margins aren't great but in talking w/ one of the vendors it's helped reduce their overall unit cost to make their pvt. sector work more profitable.

I'd be leery though as they employ like 175 workers, and that places them ( dare I say ) in the crosshairs of ObamaScare and every other gov. mandate under the sun. Even still, they're pretty pleased. Of course they can draw from a pool of Jeld-Wen ( national door & window mfr. ) employees.

27. Truesoldier__ on December 6th, 2012 3:12 pm

I hear you. We see that here as well. It is easier to promote someone up then to get rid of them through the administrative process.

28. Truesoldier__ on December 6th, 2012 3:15 pm

Did a lot of those repairs in Iraq all the time. 100 mph tape (i.e. duct tape), chewing gum and super glue is what we would use. The tape to hold the hood of the humvees together until a replacement would come in, chewing gum for the fuel lines and super glue for just about everyting else (we even super glued fuel push rods together in the injector pump on occasion).

29. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 3:53 pm

We sold and sometimes used "200 MPH" tape ….. in colors… for motorcycle racers. Likely the same stuff, just labeled differently. And YES, it WOULD stay on at 200 mph ! Watched it at Daytona I.S.

Isn`t it fascinating that super glue was invented as instance sutures for inside the human body ?

30. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 3:57 pm

Jim DeMint and a rep. of The Heritage Foundation were just on Rush. They believe Jim can do great work at HF and will be able to articulate and spread the conservative message well and better from there. Jim said he left the Senate in better conservative hands than when he found it ! Sure hope so ! They have to get past Weepy Bonehead, Pelousi and Reid and plenty of "their own" !!

31. Truesoldier__ on December 6th, 2012 4:18 pm

My guess is he saw that the leadersip was muzzling their own and was going to start restricting access to the talk shows to those members who wont toe the line, so DeMint felt to really be able to speak his mind he had to be somewhere he wouldn't be silenced.

32. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2012 4:36 pm

So… much easier. AF employ, as many at MM have suggested, is more like "government employees wearing silly uniforms".

I think in the last few cases that I've seen though, these were instances where people really screwed themselves! So eager were they to "get OUT of this/that/the other shop" going into totally unrelated career fields, it can take YEARS to get a guard opening for even a 3-Level school!

Some can't, or really shouldn't have computer access and we're "just carrying them on the books" until a school date is set. All FINE w/ them ofco. But when they figure out they won't be eligible for Tech or even Staff, it's cryin' time….

33. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 7:53 pm

That sounds as reasonable as anything I`ve heard from Glenn, Rush or anyone else.

Rush asked the HF rep. about the "preaching to the choir" thing, would he be able to get the message out to the intended audience (?), and he was confident of Jim`s opportunities and abilities.

34. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 7:55 pm

O/T: I know we are all eager to be rid of Weepy Bonehead as House Speaker; it appears that with as few as 16 republican votes, or not voting for him, Boehner will be deposed. http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2012/12/flush-hi

35. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2012 8:27 pm

See ya'! And take Can'torwon't WITH ya'!

Useless dirtbag…

36. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2012 8:34 pm

I can't imagine it would be about $. Jim just isn't wired that way. Sure we all like it, just some of us aren't willing to do ANY thing 'for' it?

Kind of funny, but after being relatively quiet for months.., I've seen about 38 HF-linked posts in the last 48 hrs. Entirely coincidental I suppose? Personally, and I like DO Tank, but without linking to MM.com etc. ( the largest digital footptint ) what the heck is the POINT?

No one needs another "talking points generator, shizz, we got low level peeps like US filling that bill? A post on HA bounces off 7 blogs in 7 minutes. So if that's what you're thinking Jim..?

We need an Enforcement Arm! Leverage. We can engage the Chattering Classes w/ electronic speed, but can't get our Rep. to return our calls?

37. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 9:43 pm

There`s a couple bus-loads of useless Boar Hog attachments that can go along with Weepy and Can`torwon`t !

38. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2012 9:50 pm

Many of us are HF members and can suggest strongly that MM and numerous other "Just-a-Bloggers have large readerships who can be quite helpful in the dissemination of DeMint`s messages.

39. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 1:48 am

I am guessing that HF under DeMint is going to be looking to help recruit Conservatives to take out RINO's in the 2014 midterm primaries (as well as liberals in the general).

They have the monetary resources to do something like that and if they combine their money with the just-a-bloggers readership and you could have a serious combination of forces at work.

40. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 2:16 am

Again, you be reasoning reasonably ! ;-)

IF DeMint and Co. do in fact use the Just-a-Bloggers of Note and their readers, that would be a great way to circumvent the MSM firewall. I like it !

41. billypaintbrush on December 8th, 2012 12:38 am

Am surprised he wants a murderous, tax-cheating felon to be seen in public
    F.U., Milbank