rtw

Cue the union outrage:

Republicans slammed right-to-work legislation through the Michigan House and Senate Thursday, drawing raucous protests from throngs of stunned union supporters, whose outnumbered Democratic allies were powerless to stop it.

Just hours after they were introduced, both chambers approved measures prohibiting private unions from requiring that nonunion employees pay fees. The Senate quickly followed by voting to impose the same requirement on most public unions.

Although rumors had circulated for weeks that right-to-work measures might surface during the session’s waning days, the speed with which the GOP-dominated Legislature acted Thursday caught many onlookers by surprise. Details of the bills weren’t made publicly available until they were read aloud on both floors as debate began.

The chaos drew raucous protests from hundreds of union supporters, some of whom were pepper-sprayed by police when they tried to storm the Senate chamber.

And of course some “SEIU for Obama” shirts were spotted.

Some of the reactions were predictable:

Lt. Gov. Brian Calley repeatedly gaveled for order during the Senate debate as Democrats attacked the legislation to applause from protesters in the galley. At one point, a man shouted, “Heil Hitler! Heil Hitler! That’s what you people are.” He was quickly escorted out.

Giving workers more freedom to make their own choices and helping protect them from being strong-armed by more powerful entities — just like Hitler did!

Update: Union hypocrite Michael Moore is having the predictable and somewhat comical meltdown. Yep, Krispy Kreme ran out of glazed raspberry. He’s pissed about the union thing too.

Comments

46 Responses to “‘Right to Work’ Passes in Michigan; Governor Expected to Sign Legislation”

1. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 2:14 pm

Nice to see some good news for a change. And even more fun watching the libs heads explode of the quick moving R's that didn't give the D's a chance to bolt for the border to avoid the legislation.

In other news, the same Fedearl Judge in NY that apporved the GM bailout is looking at overturning it.

2. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 2:14 pm

"Calley lives not too far from me and I’ve spoken with him at some events. I’d assure them that he’s about the farthest thing from Hitler you’d find, but it wouldn’t really matter." At your earliest convenience, Doug, tell him anyway !

That is great news for MI workers, whether they realize it or not. Watch for union membership to fall now that workers will have a choice, but I suspect there will still be some cracked skulls before the ironing out is completed.

I just learned that of NC`s 120 House of Reps members, only 43 are dems after the election. I have very high hopes for the state. The dems are squealing like stuck pigs !

3. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 2:20 pm

If MI can manage to disallow PEUs, then they`d be making a large step toward removing union strangle-holds on public money and services.

I know, the PEUs just switch to "Associations" with many of the same collective bargaining tactics, BUT, with an arbitrator involved, they have to prove that their employer, cities, counties, states, can actually afford their demands / requests.

4. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 2:23 pm

"some of whom were pepper-sprayed by police when they tried to storm the Senate chamber."

State Governor Jennifer Granholm was unavailable for glamor/cheesecake photo op and unabashed eyelash batting sure to calm the savages and bring order.

Attica! Attica!
    Madison! Madison!
    Madica! Madica!

5. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 2:25 pm

Fascinating, sometimes "Reverse" is the right / best gear !

Looks like the dems don`t like having leg. rushed thru against THEM the way they did with O`Scare !

6. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 2:27 pm

Aah, such disappointment ! Just when Card Check was so near to passing, THIS !

7. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 2:32 pm

“The judge has made it very clear that he is greatly dissatisfied with the process,” one analyst told the Washington Free Beacon in October. “He’s basically implying that GM hid it from him and that reopening the sale is a possibility.”

Said Judge Robert "Floater" Gerber just prior to his untimely death during a hunting excursion up at his cabin in Escanaba, Guys, this is good news! What's the campaigner in chief to say now?

Bin Laden [might] be dead and uh… so is GM!

8. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 2:35 pm

O/T…Last night I had a push poll call from some group conducting a survey on transportation issues. It appears that the libs are planning on pushing for higher tolls, taxes and fees to pay for more and more transportation projects. They want to add a $250 annual fee if your car gets more than 50 mpg, they are considering taxing driving miles, doubling the tolls on bridges and setting up toll booths on other roads to pay for the bridges and last but not least adding the state sales tax to gasoline sales (on top of the already very high gas tax).

They asked my opinion, so I told them they need to start living within their means like the average taxpayer does and to stop treating the taxpayer as their personal ATM machine. The gal on the other end didn't like the what I have to say and curtly hung up. I'll bet my "results" will not be included in the final survey results.

9. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 3:00 pm

Inslee! Inslee!

No doubt the Puget Sound area is f'd up from a traffic perspective but ginning up 'support' for what sound like, more centrally planned boondoggles in THIS economy!?

Gawd, I had a client that lived right off Pike's Market on Western Ave. and I always -dreaded- having to go up that way. What's scary, just like PDX, 80+% of those responding will do so negatively and they'll report back to city council the area "strongly favors the proposal".

Just be thankful they're not including "foot bridges" and bike lanes? Banzai!

10. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 3:00 pm

Perhaps you wasted your time, perhaps not; it depends on who gets the results of the survey. I have been surveyed numerous times by PPP (Public Policy Polling) who, I have heard, does / did the "internal" polling for the WH / Team O. They want the ugly truth so they can prepare to deal with it, be it to spin it their way or play up their support. SOOOO, keep a positive attitude toward surveys and do it again every chance you get !

11. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 3:02 pm

In other words, "GM isn`t feeling so good either" ?

12. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 3:20 pm

Always torn on GM strikes, shutdowns etc. When I worked for the Bank of New York, lots of my clients were job/specialty shops to GM. Usually in Oiho. Even a re-tooling of their assembly line for new model makeovers sent shockwaves through the vendor ranks. Rubber, plastic, steel, electronics.

Pfftt, now most of those guys are up Valerie Jarrett CREEK anyway? They're as screwed as the Delphi workers so bring it ON!

13. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 3:24 pm

SPG,

MM is covering some of those issues in today's feature post. In a word, BUYING political influence should NOT be tax deductible or, 'non-profit' org. Just b/c you didn't receive cash on the barrel head that DAY doesn't mean compensation, MONETARY compensation wasn't fully the expectation.

14. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 3:27 pm

I`m a little late getting to MM`s site today. Just read that.

15. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 3:35 pm

"so they can prepare to deal with it, be it to spin it their way or play up their support"

Great observation. We kind of instinctively 'suspect' those things and it's probably why the questions seem pointed on some issues, and rather vague and open ended on others.

It's a big part of the reason I'm so reluctant to share anything too forward thinking at MM's. Getting "out front" of an issue, as you have said, is what Dim's do BEST. ( So why tip our hand? ) when an emphatic NO suffices?

16. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 3:36 pm

Maybe the "Delphis" can get some redress this go-round !

I`ve known for a long time that re-tooling for the auto makers for a new model year was extremely expensive and a logistics nightmare. It never made total sense to me for GM (or the others) to have so many different sub-brands.

17. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 3:41 pm

I much prefer the live interviewer / surveyor to the automated "Press 1 for strongly approve", etc. I want to give them an ear-full ! They`re interrupting my game of Solitaire; dangit, they`re gonna PAY ! ;-)

18. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 3:56 pm

Bike lanes and foot bridges are at the top of the priority list, followed closely by mass transportation. Back in 2005 they hiked the gas tax 9.5 cents as an emergency measure to fix the ailing infratstructure. The very firs project that was brought to us by the gas tax increase was bike lanes on I-90 over the pass.

There hasn't been any general occupancy lanes built in WA ST in years and no plans to do so anytime in the near future. To the libs, the answer to traffic congestion is more mass transportation and less cars on the road. Of course less cars on the road = less gas taxes, so it is only a matter of time till they have government issued pedometers with gps to tax walking.

19. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 4:00 pm

If it had been a real survey or poll no problem, but it was an obvious push poll to try to show support for increased taxes for transportation. It is all in how the questions are asked.

If the question is simply something like, "Do you strongly approve, approve, neutral, dissaprove, strongly dissapprove of increasing the gas tas?", that is fine. When the question is more like, "Are you the kind of person who wants to pollute the air by not paying a higher gas tax?" then you know what they are really looking for.

20. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 4:04 pm

With any luck, heading back into bankruptcy via a reversal of the initial ruling could actually help GM get their long term costs under control, but only if they actual take on the unions and renegotiate the terms of the contracts in a sensible way. If GM does that they could come out of this far better off than they are now and may even be able to throw the governement out while they are at it.

21. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 4:06 pm

Bike Lane Emergency! Bike Lane Emergency! ( Barney FIFE actin' mf'ers… ) Course in '05 the Wealth Effect was in FULL effect so, "you got push really hard when the pvt. sector economy is hitting on all cylinders cuzz'..?"

TS, sure you got this right? "They want to add a $250 annual fee if your car gets more than 50 mpg,". 'More' than 50 mpg? Thought they already breaking it off sideways in Hybrid Hannah's azz?

At the rate O'Drama & Minions are going, we'll ALL be taking public transpo. Their ultimate goal.

22. jeffythequick on December 7th, 2012 4:20 pm

Having just gone from I-405 to I-5 yesterday, I can report that there were exactly zero people on the bicycle/foot path on I-90.

I think they need to upgrade it to have ice skating during the cooler months to get people to use them.

At this point, I'm all for silly ideas, just to see what they'll do. I'm preparing for the downfall, and now it's just a freak show.

23. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 4:23 pm

Or cross-country ski lanes.

24. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 4:26 pm

The $100 fee was only for those with electric cars, this one would hit anyone with a car that gets 50mpg or better (i.e. hybrids). They may even be seperate fees if the libs get their way. $100 fee for an electric and then an additional $250 for your car getting more than 50 mpg, so a Nissan Leaf owner could get hit with $350 a year.

25. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 4:36 pm

O/T…Obamacare to hit Veterinarian bills as well:

26. Granny55 on December 7th, 2012 4:36 pm

And in other news in Michigan – the corruption continues…..

27. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 4:46 pm

Wow. That is beyond words.

28. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 4:52 pm

"Are you the kind of person.."

Yes. And TWICE on Sunday! Even before the 'election' I'd taken to just saying "babbaBOOie-babbaBOOie" in mid sentence on the phone. I'd pretend to listen and out of the blue say; "have you ever notice how when the sun goes down it gets dark outside?"

Team O'Drama has their daily Let's See What We Can Sir Up 'Today' wheel of misfortune but WE are supposed to "act like rational players"? Stick It mista' pRez.

29. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 4:58 pm

Oh, well then I stand corrected. Guys, in light of what's been going down, I now see no reasonable restraint in dealing w/ the citizens it's not hard for me to see a "Garden Tax".

Totally serious. Because, you know, all that extra 'watering' and uh… fertilizer and "topsoil depletion"..? Wait a minute, I thought that topsoil was on MY property, which I already pay taxes on and I'm BILLED for any water I consume so..?

30. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 5:38 pm

"According to the FDA, common “dual use” medical devices are “examination gloves, sterile catheters, infusion pumps, etc.”

Yes, because what says cutting edge quite like rubber gloves! Sheesh, sorry little buddy, don't get sick uh.., Marshall have to take you round back and…

We actually get VIP ( Very Important Pet ) ins. thru Mrs. W's work. It's like $11 a month and HAS come in handy! Little dogs have their own special set of challenges so we do take advantage of it. Her co-worker had a German Shepard w/ a tumor and the bill quickly jumped to another $6 grand they didn't have.

And she was behind on her house payments to begin with! Should have signed UP for it. Now I'm not so sure?

31. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 5:47 pm

"The day of, we then go to his chambers, as usual… but in chambers all of the time," she said.
    Sex, I asked.
    "Yes. We have sex in his chambers very often."
    On his desk, I further questioned.
    "On his desk, in the chair, the couch, you name it."

I always 'wondered' what they meant by; "At the leisure of the court.." now I know. Thanks Granny!

32. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 5:49 pm

Cross-country? Nice touch! But who's going to pony up for the snow machines when AGW kicks in? Hmm..!

33. jeffythequick on December 7th, 2012 5:54 pm

Get snow making machines that they can use as Sno-Cone dispensers in the summer for the underprivileged

Flavors:
    Government Cheese
    Arugula
    Kobe Steak

They can live large!

Heck, the water from Lake Washington can't be all bad, can it?!

34. jeffythequick on December 7th, 2012 5:55 pm

You only on the top molecular layer; well, technically, with property tax that, if left unpaid, is sold to someone else that can pay it, is leased from the government.

35. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 6:02 pm

Or… basically UN do everything Obama DID do?

I've never understood why divorce court judges didn't just force feed the hubby ED pills until he was gagging, Spanish fly for the wife, handcuff them together in a cell piped in w/ p@rn 24/7 until, you know, it all works out!?

I mean, perhaps I'm being a tad 'indelicate' here but?

36. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 6:28 pm

Jeff,

Years before there were a Housing Boom, I cautioned anyone that would listen on that. "Think you 'own' your property outright, no mortgage payments? Quit paying the TAXES, you'll.. find out who 'owns' it!"

I understand the part about "loving your wife *through* the Lord" ( just never figured on owning my property -thru- the government? ) That's when I laid down the law w/ clients and said, "You need to set up a trust to ensure your prop. taxes are paid. If you can't afford to set that up in escrow, then you can't afford to LIVE here!"

37. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 6:39 pm

I have never understood how porperty tax could even be considered Constitutional. The Founding Father's understood just how important property ownership is when it comes to true freedom and individual liberty.

While looking at what the Founding Father's said about property I came across this listing of quotes that covers more than land and really puts into perspective just how disgusted the Founders would have been over what they see going on today:

38. Truesoldier__ on December 7th, 2012 6:41 pm

And just think, every time the your Primary Care Physician snaps on those gloves starting next year you will see your bill jump as well.

Just more proof of why this should legislation should be called "The No-Longer Affordable Care Act".

39. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2012 7:03 pm

Then you'll have Polocks like me say, "Look, I've brought my own!"

Can this get more ridiculous?

40. jeffythequick on December 7th, 2012 7:27 pm

I was in a discussion with a lib, and he called me "greedy" for wanting to keep what I earned. I told him (thank you, Francisco d'Anconia for helping me with this…)

"You know why I want to keep what I earn? Because I spent time away from my family, my friends, and the things that I enjoy doing (I hated my job at that point) to earn that dollar to buy the things I have, and for you to tell me that it's just "stuff" truly disrespects my time, talent, and energy to earn the money to buy those items.

And the thing that irks me most is that, when I get that dollar, you know who gets paid first? The government of the USA and Oregon. They deemed that they are more important than I am, so they have first claim to my earnings. For that reason, I hope the current system of taxation fails, and fails hard, so that anyone else that thinks of ever instituting such a system is taken out of office, tarred, feathered, and run out of the country.

People like you disgust me with your high and "better than thou" assertion that my life and work belong to the government first, and I have to justify to them why less money should be owed. You make me buy a house to get this deduction, have children for that deduction, and invest in local bonds for another one. What a bunch of control freaks you are. The truth is, you liberals don't trust people, and demand subjugation, and you use outliers of a population to justify your enslaving rules."

This was a co-worker at a major semiconductor manufacturer in Hillsboro, Oregon. The liberal guy I worked with knew enough not to say anything, as we had mutual respect for each other, but this guy just kept poking.

I gave my notice a few months later. I don't miss him.

41. jeffythequick on December 7th, 2012 7:29 pm

You can turn them inside out to get a second use out of them.

Good thing Cooper's medical is tax deductible.

42. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 8:48 pm

"The truth is, you liberals don't trust people ….." THAT`s the bottom line ! I`ve been humming Billy Joel`s "A Matter of Trust" all day !

43. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 8:54 pm

I get`cha ! I haven`t taken any polls quite that blatant, but it`s obvious which way they swing when the dem candidates / policies come first, it`s not until the middle of the poll when they finally get around to asking your gender, age, pol. persuasion, and start to mix the order up a bit.

44. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 8:58 pm

I heard today that eye glasses are "medical devises" that will see the new tax. Gotta get new ones QUICK !!

45. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 9:03 pm

Adds new meaning to "What is / isn`t he wearing under that robe ?"

46. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2012 10:28 pm

Isn`t there a Woolite for "all your indelicates" ?