First off, happy New Year everybody! Here’s to a happy and healthy 2013 and a wave goodbye to an… interesting… 2012. This year promises to have some big changes, and I’ll keep you posted about those as we head more toward spring.

Over a week ago I asked if President Obama would include his Hollywood supporters in the discussion about how to rein in a “culture that glorifies guns and violence.” A bunch of sanctimonious, whiffle-brained celebs had just released a video “demanding a plan” from the government on gun control, and I pointed out a few examples of hypocrisy on the part of those very same people in Tinseltown.

Taking it a step further, I ran across the video below at Ace of Spades over the weekend that really puts the final nails in the hypocrisy coffin of Hollywood.

Language warning:

If these double-standard dingbats want to “demand a plan” it should be to call for a two-year moratorium on movie and TV production to see if it has a positive influence on our “culture” they claim to want to help heal. But they would lose millions.

Speaking of idiots, Al Sharpton said the next step after gun control might have to be… knife control. No, seriously.

Off topic — I’m writing this while sitting in the local McDonalds sipping a Diet Coke. Why? Because for some reason I can connect to every other website in the world from my home connection except my own. It happens from time to time and I’m still trying to figure out why. And it’s not just my home connection — I’ve tried connecting from other houses that use the same Internet service I do and I can’t connect from there either (but I can from any other kind of connection, i.e. library WiFi, etc), so the problem is with the provider. Oh well, I’ve got all of 2013 to figure it out. In any case, that’s why posting has been a little slower than usual here in the past few days — because I have to go to a restaurant every time I want to post to my blog. Hopefully I get it sorted out at home before I put on 20 unnecessary pounds.

Comments

51 Responses to “Video: Hollywood’s Gun Hypocrisy”

1. SignPainterGuy on January 1st, 2013 6:07 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Doug and all my friends here ! Cheers to all, well, a raised coffee mug. Hopefully you will get the connection issue straightened out before the poundages add up.

Nuthin` new out of Hollyweird ! It`s junk and hypocrisy, all the way, all the time !

As for Al Sharlatan; outlawing everything else hasn`t worked; Gun Free Zones are a cruel joke; let`s try outlawing OUTLAWING ! It`s the only thing that hasn`t been tried !

2. backwoodsconsr on January 1st, 2013 6:12 pm

I have never been less optimistic about a new year.

Celebrities don't have to worry about a culture of violence. They can count on Barack to tell them they didn't build that.

3. jeffythequick on January 1st, 2013 11:00 pm

Doug — Great minds, eh?

4. Mike S. on January 2nd, 2013 12:10 am

Step one of my plan: all celebrities and politicians must cease to use armed bodyguards for their personal security and for the security of their families, and also turn in any guns they themselves personally own. No exceptions. Yeah Barack, this includes you. And your family. You've got to set an example for the rest of us to follow, don't you?

Step two of my plan: no more violence in movies that results in a death. None. No more guns, knives, baseball bats, machetes, axes, chainsaws, nothing. You hypocritical Hollywood douchenozzles want to do away with gun violence? Well, a lot of things other than guns kill people. Let's do away with those, too. Hell, drunk drivers kill more people each year than guns do, so let's ban alcohol AND cars in movies.

Sorry, I'm pissed off at these…people.

5. jeffythequick on January 2nd, 2013 12:43 am

Doug —

For your issue, try this at home, then at Mickey-D's:

At the command prompt (windows Start-Run-CMD, Mac: Open Terminal in the utilities folder):
    nslookup <a href="http://www.dougpowers.com” target=”_blank”>www.dougpowers.com

I got 64.202.126.216 . If you get different numbers from home(s) and McDonalds, the ISP DNS cache at the ISP needs to be flushed.

Hope this helps!

Jeffy

6. jeffythequick on January 2nd, 2013 12:45 am

One thing that always puzzled me is the derogatory use of the vinegar/water combination and the vessels/nozzles that hold it.

It's like being insulted for being a playground cleaner.

Other than that, you're spot on, Mike!

7. Barb Chansky on January 2nd, 2013 6:00 am

Happy New Year, Doug! Thanks again for the laughs and keep up the fantastic work you are doing! Good luck with your net connection!

8. jeffythequick on January 2nd, 2013 11:06 am

If it is indeed your ISP's DNS settings, you can set them yourself for your laptop (assuming that you're not setting up a desktop at the local Mickey D's), set your DNS settings to 4.2.2.4 (a root DNS server). This will bypass your ISP's one.

Just a quick note on what a DNS server is: It is essentially the phone book (or for you kids reading this, google) for the Internet. A DNS server takes requests, like http://www.dougpowers.com and resolves them to IP addresses, so our computer can find them. So, when I type in dougpowers.com, a request is sent to my DNS server, it resolves it to 64.202.126.216, and then my computer uses that address for all things Doug.

Just keep it political, when doing a lookup on http://www.msnbc.com, I get 65.55.251.214, 65.55.53.235, and 65.55.53.233, so there are 3 servers, which is overkill to have one web server for each of their viewers.

9. jeffythequick on January 2nd, 2013 11:12 am

Cowards all: Hey Johnny, we sent you there to STOP Obama, not be his rubber stamp. What the h$%% do you think he's going to do to you next summer? Say, "well, the Republicans are better than the Democrats I had to deal with?"

Welcome to one party rule, folks. The Progressive-D and the Progressive-R.

The Whig Republicans need to go. No "more conservative" or "democrat-lite" They need to go to the ash heap where they belong.

10. Doug on January 2nd, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks SPG! Same to you and yours!

11. Doug on January 2nd, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks much Barb! Same to you!

12. Doug on January 2nd, 2013 11:30 am

Would that potential problem apply to multiple computers trying multiple sources but all from the same provider? We have three computers… none of them connect to my site from not only my house, but anyplace that uses the same Internet provider. In other words, if you brought your computer to my house (or any other place in the area using the same provider, you wouldn't be able to connect to my site.

I'll try your suggestion later though, and thanks!

13. jeffythequick on January 2nd, 2013 12:49 pm

Yes, that will do it, especially at different houses with the same ISP.

They're all looking at the same phone book, and my suggestion of changing the DNS will use a different one (phone book, to keep the analogy).

What, at McDonalds and home, did the nslookup give you?

14. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 1:21 pm

The site seems more stable and functional, at least on my end. OTOH my local econ blog is getting hammered w/ spam posts. My guess is it's local realtors not caring for the negative stuff we post.

15. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 1:25 pm

Someone at MM's started a "Squishy Republicans Cavewatch". You knew we were screwed.

I think we're going about this all wrong, and Doug's recent Mickey D's experience may turn out to be a valuable lesson. I'd like to suggest ( while preserving valuable franchises like PTB/MM etc. ) we need to be launching legions of clone sites that are there for the express purpose of defying the D's net police to Shut.Them.Down!

16. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 2:23 pm

Happy New Year to all.

As for the Hollywood types, they were too busy ensuring they got covered in the cliff deal to worry about anything else:

And this is after a box office record breaking year, so where is Obama saying to them that there comes a time when you have made enough money?

17. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 2:27 pm

There is some hope. If you look at the roll call vote you will see that the majority of the R's voted against this monstrosity. It only passed by having nearly all the Dem's vote for it and a handful of R's (sad to say all 4 R's in WA ST voted for this crap and will be hearing from me today over it). This shows that there is hope and even better it looks as though Boehner is through as the speaker. Opposition to him is growing and it looks like they have enough "no" votes to stop him from reatining the gavel. The question is, who will become the new speaker? Will we get another squishy R (like Cantor) or will we see a Conservative take over?

This is important as we have at least 3 confrontations coming this year (cont)

18. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks TS! Hate to admit but I'm right along side BWC, I've never found myself w/ such a negative outlook for a new year. I think the only people who's lives will go on largely 'unchanged' is prison convicts.

Oh and Obama's Hollywood butt-buddies where things will go even better! I think we'll see tons o' backlash but it will begin by falling primarily on LOCAL governments feeling intense heat from taxpayers as basic services suffer and fees w/ no end are met angrily.

Their phone calls pleading for relief from constant pressure, won't be returned…

19. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 2:33 pm

1) The sequestration cuts – The cliff deal pushed them off for 2 months so as to give Congress time to figure out what to do. With a Conservative at the helm in the House we could see some meaningful cuts. With a RINO we can expect to see no cuts at all.

2) Obama wants more tax cuts – Obama has said he will seek to increase taxes (as well as create new ones). With a Conservative speaker we can stop this, with a RINO we can expect to see higher taxes.

3) The debt ceiling. That is coming up in Feb. If there is a Conservative leading the House we can finally have a real debate on spending, if we have a RINO we can expect to see another ceiling increse without any real debate.

20. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 2:42 pm

I totally understand both yours and BWC's feelings as I too share in that feeling. The cliff deal still allows payroll taxes to go up and some business owners are already taking the proactive approach of warning their employees and explaing that it has nothing to do with them. The fact that they have to do that holds a grim warning of the future if you ask me.

21. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 2:47 pm

Obama heading back to Hawaii to finish up his vacation (as if it ever ends) costing the taxpayers $7 million speaks volumes as to what we can expect in any negotations over spending:

Not to mention, he left town without signing the bill.

22. SignPainterGuy on January 2nd, 2013 2:51 pm

O/T: Finally, someone has captured the image I hold of Teh One !

"What ? Me worry ?"

23. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 3:00 pm

Seeing Boehner PACK will be Weepalicious! That this 'Bill' had legs to begin with is beyond me. $41 in tax hikes for every buck in spending 'cuts' and as one of MM's posters noted, cuts that will never probably happen anyway.

As to Weepy's replacement, obviously we'd love to see a Conservative but at this point, it's important to send a message to these casseroles that they CAN be replaced!?

24. SignPainterGuy on January 2nd, 2013 3:00 pm

I`ve seen that number twice this morning; once as $3 Million, the other at $7 M. It reminds me of the story from last month about how much the UK spends on their Royal Family annually – in the neighborhood of $57 Million. Pres. Double-Downgrade and Mooch cost us $1.2 Billion last year !

25. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 3:05 pm

"Brey said he can't raise compensation to ease the pain. Enduring the recession meant cutting his own salary, firing workers, taking on half a million dollars in debt and raiding his own 401(k).

"Any business that survived the recession did so by digging a big hole," Brey said. "We can't dig any deeper."

Another example of Economic Central Planning Disorder. Elitists can't make the distinction ( or just don't care ) between Evil MegaCorp's and smaller employers. Like I say, unless you're reading this on the prison's computer, you're going to be affected.

26. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 3:40 pm

The Sultan of Brunei probably spends less. ( And he has a harem? )

27. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 3:49 pm

Perfect! Over the holiday Travel Channel ran a Mysteries of the Museum marathon. One of the more curious pieces was a spare tire cover that said "Former Resident of Antelope Oregon. We Lost Our Town!"

It was about the cult started out there in 1981 and how it became such an embarrassing MESS. The Bagwan's handler set about making their own reality by building a town and then electing their own rep's to the city council. Basically they flooded a remote area in what we refer to today as "Bluing". When their town was called into question on building codes, they attempted to get rubber stamps elected to the county seats. They even created a salmonella outbreak to sicken voters and keep them home!

Saturated Bluing, infiltration, implementation of agenda, RIGGED elections. Sound familiar?

28. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 3:56 pm

My belief is that they are doing this will full knowledge of the consequences. IF Obama and the Dem's can ruin more small businesses (who create the most private sector jobs) it will mean more people will turn to the government for help (and jobs) which in turn gives more and more power to the elite political rulers.

29. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 3:57 pm

I think the $7million price tag may be for the round trip, hence the two seperate numbers with the $3 million actually being $3.5 million.

30. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 3:57 pm

And gets more bang for the buck (yeah I know that was bad, but couldn't resist).

31. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 4:07 pm

That is a great show. We watched the marathon with our boys. They were totally facinated by all the stories behind the pieces presented.

32. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 4:08 pm

It looks like the Senate used the Pelosi Practice on the cliff bill….the passed it to see what was in it:

Senate Voted on ‘Fiscal Cliff’ Bill 3 Minutes After Receiving It

33. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 4:13 pm

Living in WA you hear all the same negative appraisals of small businesses. "These so-called independent/small biz people are ALL gaming the tax system..! They milk it out for a few years for all the deductions then just shut it down and start another just LIKE it!"

It's a lot of what drove "You didn't build that!" Obama may have only soopidly echoed that last year, but it's a sentiment lofted around in Progressive circles for years. And now it's PAYBACK time for them!

We're combatting all this negativity over a perceived stereotype that in no way fits the reality.

34. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 4:14 pm

Yeah, well at least they're getting PAID for getting screwed!

35. SignPainterGuy on January 2nd, 2013 4:16 pm

Doug Urbansky (sp?), substituting for Rush today said that`s a combo of the vacay itself and the costs of the flights (two round trips), but likely does NOT incl. the cargo planes` costs or security and a plethora of other unknowns. Hey, put that in your calculator and hit "X" a time or two, you`ll be close ! :-)

36. SignPainterGuy on January 2nd, 2013 4:18 pm

We SO need to have the 17th Amendment repealed and have the congress-critters elected by their respective state legislatures so they can be recalled for poor performance. These rat-bastards would be fired in the private sector !

37. Marshall_Will on January 2nd, 2013 4:48 pm

You know you're doing something right when your children are drawn to that type of exposure. We kept saying, just (1) more episode and we've got to..!?

The one about the Iowa farm girl that crawled across a bridge in the dead of night during a storm to warn the railyard mgr. to stop the Midnight Express train was striking. Today the most they can be bothered with is to maybe shoot ya' a text?

38. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 5:25 pm

We were amazed at the one about the locomotive stunt in which two trains were set to collide on purpose, but the did not expect the boilers to blow. What amazed us was that even back then people scrambled for macabe souvenirs from the wreckage while people lied there wounded or dead.

Or the one about the indentured servant who killed his employer and the employers wife, was sentenced to death and latter had his body give to doctors to experiment on using electricity (and then they skinned him and turned him into wallets and the such out of revenge).

39. jeffythequick on January 2nd, 2013 6:48 pm

At this rate, I expect the vote for Speaker to be about 365-70, with all the Democrats voting for him, and 70 or so Tea Partiers against.

40. jeffythequick on January 2nd, 2013 6:57 pm

plus interest…

41. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 7:35 pm

I don't and here is why. There is nothing stating that the House Speaker has to be from the controlling party or even a member of Congress for that matter. To become Speaker you only need an absolute majority of the votes. this means you need 50% +1 of those voting to win. If a member is not present to vote or abstains from voting that number is removed from the total amount of votes needed.

So if all 191 Dems voted for Pelosi and 51 R's either didn't show or abstained from voting then Pelosi would win. I doubt that would happen, but in protest to Boehner it could happen. To be honest, it might be interesting to see. Let Pelosi be Speaker even though she could not pass anything as she would not have the numbers. This would allow Americans to truly see where the Dem's really want to take the country without actually being able to do it.

42. jeffythequick on January 2nd, 2013 8:14 pm

Actually, I was expecting to get the D's to vote for him, rather than have a real conservative in there.

These are up/down votes, right? If that's the case (and I'll use fictitious names, because I'm still looking for a Conservative in the group…)
    Limbaugh: yes/no (all the D's vote no, and break the buttons in doing so. 50% of the R's vote yes…) He loses.
    Pelosi: yes/no. (all the R's vote no, and all of the D's vote yes.) She loses.
    Boehner: yes/no (all the D's vote no, and half of the R's vote yes) He loses.
    Limbaugh: yes/no (all the D's vote no, and half the R's vote yes) He loses
    ***since no R will vote for Pelosi but they hold the majority, they say the run-off will be between Limbaugh and Boehner***
    Boehner: yes/no (since Limbaugh is the alternative) All the D's vote yes, Boehner gets half of the R's He wins.

If it's an x (x=3, 4, or 5) way race, then it gets more interesting…

43. Mike S. on January 2nd, 2013 8:24 pm

It just sounds funny… :)

44. Truesoldier__ on January 2nd, 2013 8:29 pm

Pretty close, except all the run off would be all three of them again and again until one reached the vote total needed or one or two of them opted to drop out of the race and then it would be a vote for whomever is left.

45. maladroit on January 3rd, 2013 12:00 am

The Dougy Powers version of "Super Size Me."

Happy New Year, Doug!

46. Doug on January 3rd, 2013 1:01 am

Ok, thanks much! I'll try it the next time I'm forced to go elsewhere. Right now it's working from home. Strange. It does that… a few days it works, and a few days it doesn't.

47. Doug on January 3rd, 2013 1:02 am

Same to you!

48. jeffythequick on January 3rd, 2013 1:27 am

heh heh heh ;)

49. jeffythequick on January 3rd, 2013 1:29 am

Whose name happens to be Nancy Boehner.

50. ChapBix on January 6th, 2013 2:17 am

"Hopefully I get it sorted out at home before I put on 20 unnecessary pounds. "

Feeling for you there, Doug. Thanks for the sacrifice, though. Maybe you can switch to tea instead. Fewer calories.

51. ChapBix on January 6th, 2013 2:52 am

Sounds like what happened in NH, WA, OR and other states.