In spite of the photo the White House released, it’s sounding more and more like President Gutsy Call removed himself from the decision tree the night of September 11 of last year. SecDef Leon Panetta confirmed that, at least in part, at today’s Senate panel hearing on Benghazi:

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta testified this morning on Capitol Hill that President Barack Obama was absent the night four Americans were murdered in Benghazi on September 11, 2012:

Panetta said that Obama left operational details, including knowledge of what resources were available to help the Americans under seize, “up to us.”

In fact, Panetta says that the night of 9/11, he did not communicate with a single person at the White House. The attack resulted in the deaths of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

Panetta reportedly had his daily briefing with the president at 5 p.m., which took place about 40 minutes into the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi. After that meeting the secretary of defense was never contacted by the White House again the rest of the night?

Team Obama and Hillary were probably busy mobilizing all available resources to go get the guy who made the video.

Sen. Rand Paul has a hunch.

Update: To add a little more background, Panetta also testified that he was the person who broke news of the attack to Obama. So you’d think if Obama had subsequent questions he’d have directed them at least in part to Panetta, but that wasn’t the case, according to Panetta’s testimony.

Update II: I guess the most appropriate acronym is WTF?

At a Thursday hearing in the Senate, Republican Ted Cruz asked both Leon Panetta and Martin Dempsey, “In between 9:42 p.m., Benghazi time, when the first attacks started, and 5:15 am, when Mr. Doherty and Mr. Woods lost their lives, what converations did either of you have with Secretary Clinton?”

“We did not have any conversations with Secretary Clinton,” Panetta responded.

“And General Dempsey, the same is true for you?” Cruz asked. Dempsey confirmed this.

A U.S. Ambassador and his team were in grave danger and the POTUS and the secretary of state never even spoke with the chairman of the Joint Chiefs or the secretary of defense? More importantly, if Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton didn’t communicate with Panetta or General Dempsey, how could they have been 100 percent certain there were no assets in the area with which to stage a timely enough rescue?

If I or any member of my family were serving overseas under this bunch I’d be very nervous.

Comments

34 Responses to “Leon Panetta: On the Night of the Benghazi Attack, Nobody From the White House Communicated With Me”

1. Obama bin Biden on February 7th, 2013 6:28 pm

Panetta will be resigning soon to spend time with his family.

2. Carolyn on February 7th, 2013 6:29 pm

Priority Campaigning….

3. Truesoldier__ on February 7th, 2013 6:47 pm

He has already resigned….That is what the Hagel conformation hearings are about.

4. Truesoldier__ on February 7th, 2013 6:49 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Dear leader couldn't be bothered staying up late the night before a Vegas campaign stop. He needed to get his beauty rest so that he would be refreshed for his adhoring subjects the next day.

And Hillary was probably to busy ensuring Bill was keeping it in his pants so as to not cause a scandal and screw up her 2016 campaign plan.

5. jack on February 7th, 2013 6:50 pm

Can we please throw our dad out the house now ??

6. Truesoldier__ on February 7th, 2013 6:52 pm

It was also noted that Gen Dempsey learned about the attack from Gen Ham not the State Dept (either stateside or in Libya):

"Why didn't you put forces in place to be ready to respond?," Senator John McCain asked the general.

Dempsey started, "Because we never received a request to do so, number one. And number two, we –"

McCain iterrupted, "You never heard of Ambassador Stevens's repeated warnings?"

"I had, through General Ham," responded Dempsey, referring to the commander of AFRICOM. "But we never received a request for support from the State Department, which would have allowed us to put forces–"

"So it's the State Department's fault?"

"I'm not blaming the State Department," Dempsey responded.

7. jeffythequick on February 7th, 2013 7:45 pm

About that 2am phone call… It was never made, so how am I responsible? This is another right wing attack, and how dare they sully the memories of an American ambassador? – Hillary Clinton, 2016

8. jeffythequick on February 7th, 2013 7:53 pm

I thought Hillary already resigned…

9. backwoodsconsr on February 7th, 2013 8:16 pm

Zing!

10. Truesoldier__ on February 7th, 2013 9:24 pm

The other thing I would note is the utter failure of a policy that says when Americans are in harms way they have to wait for a "green light" call from the State Dept to get anything done.

11. SignPainterGuy on February 7th, 2013 9:32 pm

I can`t see a thing; the incompetence of this administration is BLINDING !!

And STAGGERING !!

12. jeffythequick on February 7th, 2013 9:58 pm

That one was the low hanging strawberry…

13. SignPainterGuy on February 7th, 2013 10:11 pm

Anything within reach of a snail is pretty low hanging alright !

14. SignPainterGuy on February 7th, 2013 10:14 pm

Precisely the BLINDING, STAGGERING incompetence of this admin. that will destroy this nation !

15. jeffythequick on February 7th, 2013 11:26 pm

Levin was talking about this, and only the Campaigner-in-Chief President can authorize cross-border use of force.

I don't think we should plan for every eventuality. The ambassador knew what a feckless group of Progressives that he was working for. His death was just one of those eggs that got cracked making the omelette.

The others that died I have sympathy for, but who I have even more sympathy for is our children, who through our collective inaction, have paved the way for the next tyrant that will come, after this guy is out of office. Believe me, the next person will be worse, since…
    Lincoln got rid of Statehood
    Wilson said that the money belonged to the State first, then you get what's leftover
    Hoover said you could use Keynesian economics to correct a depression (and Roosevelt accelerated it)
    Johnson said that you don't have to take care of yourself anymore
    Clinton said that you can lie under oath and get away with it,
    Obama said that we can kill Americans without due process…

Slippery slope indeed. We've been on it since 1897, and it will just accelerate from here.

16. jeffythequick on February 7th, 2013 11:28 pm

I guess what I was saying is that I want only one idiot in charge of pulling the trigger on these things.

A whole platoon of idiots is far more dangerous than just one.

But the current one in charge gives a strong argument to the contrary…

17. jeffythequick on February 7th, 2013 11:37 pm

Way off topic, but for trivia, who said this?

"I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the general government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the government, the government should not support the people. The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow-citizens in misfortune. This has been repeatedly and quite lately demonstrated. Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character, while it prevents the indulgence among our people of that kindly sentiment and conduct which strengthens the bonds of a common brotherhood."

18. jeffythequick on February 7th, 2013 11:37 pm

Hint: it was a Democrat…

19. Marshall_Will on February 8th, 2013 12:19 am

Jeff,

Right, Axlerod can tell the pRez to-the-precinct how many votes they'll need to fabricate out of thin air.., but this same admin. can't find an ongoing attack on our embassy for the entirety of a workday?

They can tell you ( at any given moment ) how many squishy R's they have in their hip pocket for their next power grab but can't..? I mean the list goes on but you get the idea…

20. Marshall_Will on February 8th, 2013 12:24 am

JTQ,

Rode the Amtrak back from the Guard base and elected to take the lower level for a change of scenery. Unfortunately the view is largely the same, but I got an education nonetheless.

Because they "can't get up the stairs" you get all kinds of fluffy 47%'ers and an endless parade of Professional Disability Filers. I sat there dumbfounded for 5+ hours as these under achieving mook-childs schooled one another on:

The best STATE in which to file a claim! How to use Walmart's security cam's to bolster your faux injury! The best tv commercial law 'firm' hacks to hire to file your claim..!

Halfway back I fell ILL myself and made for the observation car. I'd heard enough…

21. jeffythequick on February 8th, 2013 1:22 am

You're a braver man than I am. I'm too afraid to hang around the stupid. I'm worried that I'll catch what they have.

22. jeffythequick on February 8th, 2013 1:30 am

I mean… did it go down like this…?
    Aide: Secretary Panetta, I have a friend over at State that IM'd me that we're under attack in Benghazi.
    Panetta: Ben Gauzy? Is he a Democrat?
    Aide: No, sir. It's a city in Libya.
    Panetta: I thought that's what Bill likes… A city in there?
    Aide: ummm… Should we call the President?
    Panetta: Heck no. He wasn't paying attention in the briefing I just gave him. Said something about Vegas, and not to bother him. He said he was going to relax on the skeet shooting course over at Andrews.
    Aide: yes, sir.
    (two hours later)
    Different Aide: Sir, there is some Dempsey guy on the phone for you. I think his first name is Gerald… Genarald…
    Panetta: General?
    Aide: Yeah.
    Panetta (on the phone): It's bad? How bad? What do we have in the area? ummm… Oh, I can't do that? Well, do what you need to do to protect those people, and make sure it's legal. Yeah, make sure it's legal, but protect those people. Priority? Both! We don't want them hurt, but we also don't want to break any laws, American, Libyan, or International. Now do it.

23. jeffythequick on February 8th, 2013 9:12 am

For those of you playing at home, it was Grover Cleveland.

After a drought had ruined crops in several Texas counties, Congress appropriated $10,000 to purchase seed grain for farmers there.[95] Cleveland vetoed the expenditure. In his veto message, he espoused a theory of limited government.

(source: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Cleveland)

Oh, how a once mighty party hath fallen.

24. Obama bin Biden on February 8th, 2013 11:41 am

Yeah, I know. But it always amuses me when these guys leave to spend time with their family which I believe he did say. I think he liked his gig.

25. Obama bin Biden on February 8th, 2013 1:00 pm

Nixon resigned for far less.

26. Marshall_Will on February 8th, 2013 1:22 pm

After GC was featured on "Mysteries at the Museum" where a malignant TUMOR was yarded out of his mouth w/ all the 'finesse' of me yanking frets out of a Stratocaster.., oh, on a ship at SEA so as not to arouse suspicion, my estimates of the man skyrocketed!

We're all aware of the 1906 Stock Market Crash but I was unaware there was a similar bank run/confidence crisis in 1893. Unable to articulate and deathly ill, he took a longshot gamble w/ surgeons sworn to secrecy in an effort to squelch further panic. Dude had b@lls.

Sadly, it was the first time an Administration took the brow beating low road w/ the 5th column and disparaged a perfectly credible reporter's reputation to quell.., the truth! Making him the first Just-a-blogger. Obviously Bamie dispensed w/ the bal. of that story, laser focus on the important bits…

27. Truesoldier__ on February 8th, 2013 2:32 pm

My guess is that Panetta is coming clean as he sees that they are planning on throwing him under the bus and parking the bus right on top of him so he can never climb out. He is the only one leaving the administration that does not seem to have any further political ambitions, so to this lot he is the best person at/near the top to be the scapegoat for the rest of them.

My guess is after Obama left the meeting, Panetta tried to get a hold of him but Obama blew him off. Hillary was out of the loop as she was planning her 2016 run and the Joint Chiefs have become so political that they weigh every move they may or may not make on whether or not it would have a negative affect on a future political run.

28. Truesoldier__ on February 8th, 2013 2:36 pm

As for the drone strikes on Americans overseas, there is nothing illegal about that. It would be no different than a sniper taking out a known terrorist (who is an American) on foreign soil.

But there are limits on the legality. It would have to be in a hostile country (IMO that would consider the entire ME save Israel) and the proof would have to be compelling that they were indeed an enemy of the state. So going after an American AQ type in Paris would be illegal, taking out that same SOB in a Yemeni city no problem.

There is precedence for doing this dating back throughout our country's history. The only thing that has changed has been the weapons used.

29. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2013 2:48 pm

Post-Clinton, he would not have; the Rs would have drummed him out.

30. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2013 2:52 pm

I saw that too. GC was known as "Unflinchingly honest and truthful" (or words to that effect). Oh, for a man of integrity like him in office today !

31. jeffythequick on February 8th, 2013 5:23 pm

I agree on the individual cases where it has been used, but the process is where I disagree.

If, in the heat of battle, a battle zone or on the wrong side of the border (like the example you state), an American is taken out, so be it; you should plan your vacations with greater care.

However, if it is a methodical, planned, and executed on American soil or non-hostile location (ie. Israel—ok, Cuba, with this president) (citizen or not – the only place in the Constitution where citizenship is mentioned is qualification for office and voting; all other rights are for persons), and the only binding process is in one branch of the government, that's where I have the issue.

32. jeffythequick on February 9th, 2013 2:49 am

…and 6 months before the next election, family time is over to campaign
    a) for themselves
    b) for their favorite next boss

33. jeffythequick on February 9th, 2013 2:51 am

I don't know… a Billy Boinking Bimbo eruption (not enough mind bleach for that one…) might actually help Hillary with the chick voters. She gets sympathy and the women get all swoony over Bill (again)…

34. Truesoldier__ on February 11th, 2013 2:17 am

Totally agree with that. If they are on "friendly" soil they should be captured if possible; instead of vaporized. First they would have due process and second if they are found guilty then they could be questioned (hard to question a vaporized corpse).