The headline at the Washington Free Beacon is a riot. I think it was written with the expressed purpose of giving Code Pink harpies the vapors.

I’m not an art critic and don’t want to be, so I’ll leave it to somebody else to judge the paintings.

Comments

14 Responses to “Hacker Gets Into Bush Family Email, Inspires Great Headline”

1. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2013 9:09 pm

One of the most important requirements of good art, in this commercial artist`s mind, is that the casual observer can tell what`s in the painting. I have to say that I`d guess that`s the back of GWB`s head. The overall painting is believable. Can`t quite grant him "Fantastic Artist" status though.

As for the headline, which I whole-heartedly agree with btw, not only Code Pink is experiencing the vapors, but any leftist. I love it when lefties have the vapors and heart palpitations !

2. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2013 10:05 pm

O/T: Most of us had our heart strings tugged by the Late, Great Paul Harvey narrated Dodge Ram pickups Super Bowl ad, "God Made a Farmer", well, now it`s time to tickle the giggle bone with, "God Made A Liberal";

We were talking about, "Headlines, Art and Hacking" weren`t we ? ;-)

3. Pasadena Phil on February 8th, 2013 10:44 pm

I don't know what kind of a sign painter GWB would have been but from what I can see of the few paintings shown, they are boring and frivolous. They might eventually have value from certain collectors but not on artistic merit as far as I am concerned. But they are good enough to hang in his own home or in the homes of his friends via gifting who would appreciate the humor of the bathtub painting knowing whose toes they are.

4. backwoodsconsr on February 8th, 2013 10:56 pm

Good one! Thanks for posting it.

5. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2013 11:17 pm

His subject matter is certainly questionable.

If you haven`t, click on the Winston Churchill "paints" link. He was some kind of prolific, with sometimes more talent in evidence !

My early artwork also adorns the walls of some "lucky" friends and relatives. ;-)

6. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2013 11:20 pm
  7. Pasadena Phil on February 8th, 2013 11:37 pm

Churchill's level of talent is beyond my ability to judge. He was certainly talented but my knowledge of art appreciation is limited. For instance, I never appreciated Dali until I saw his early work and had someone walk me through his development to the artist we all know today. It was during that tour of his museum in St Pete that I first learned that masterpieces had to meet very specific criteria (size, composition, color palette, etc…) that had to be submitted before the painting was executed. It wasn't just painting something and having an important person or group of people exclaim "Wow" Now THAT is a masterpiece!"

I don't know how to judge a competent amateur like Churchill. I don't know what to look for.

8. SignPainterGuy on February 9th, 2013 12:09 am

As with many other things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it, then it`s good to you. Good enough.

Someone filled you full of it, there was no "judging" at the time of the painting of most of the masterpieces and certainly there was no anticipation of greatness or mass appeal at the time. It all came later, MUCH later. Think about it. When Michelangelo painted the ceilings of the Cistine Chapel, there were no judges of his color palette or anything else, just the approval of the priests. And there is no doubt that his works ARE masterpieces.

My Daughter played softball, several years as an AllStar, and in one game directly scored or caused to be scored 16 of their 21 runs. (3 Grand Slams in the game – 2 by my Daughter) We checked with Guinness to see if it was a record and could be submitted. We learned that, as you were told, officials from Guinness would have had to be present or film of EVERYTHING would have had to be made to 'prove" it really happened. How can you predict something like that ?

9. Pasadena Phil on February 9th, 2013 1:36 am

I'm pretty sure I was presented with good information. It's just that the term "masterpiece" is a modern term that has come to mean something different over time. It was first used (as far as I can tell) in medieval times where an artist would submit his "masterpiece" before a guild to prove that he had the skills required to be called a master.

As to Guinness records, I was tangentially involved with someone as part of my Rose Parade responsibilities for this year's parade who was going to build the largest French press coffee maker and unveiled at the Post Parade activities. He submitted his design to the Guinness people in order to certify that it would indeed qualify as the world record and they would then send someone to unveiling to certify that it had indeed been built.

Some records, like the one you described, are more difficult to certify. Softball games can be rigged. I once "officially" scored 15 points in about 45 seconds in a high school intramural basketball game for instance. It was the dumbest sequence of events that you could imagine and impossible to describe adequately but it HAD to be a record. I wasn't even a particularly good player. But the ball seemed to be haunted and destined for the rim no matter what we did.

10. SignPainterGuy on February 9th, 2013 2:12 am

I`m sure you were as well. Many who talk about art are pretenders; I`ve met several in the guilds that I would have be member to if I wanted to get work in a couple of the ritzier areas of Asheville, NC (the San Fran of the East Coast). It became immediately obvious that I`d puke if I had to hang around them. I appreciate real talent and real knowledge. None I met had either. All libs. :-(

Guilds go way back and historically, they could make or break an artist`s career. Politics sometimes had a strong influence as did personal feelings.

I learned my craft thru my Dad and he and I never wanted for work, all from word of mouth. There`s no "pretending" that ! If people don`t like your work, they won`t buy it at any price, but if they do, they`ll wait in line !

11. SignPainterGuy on February 9th, 2013 2:16 am

Good on ya for your work with the Rose Parade. It has to be fun and interesting, rewarding on a personal level.

12. jeffythequick on February 9th, 2013 3:50 pm

Wow, guys…

I know these paintings aren't museum (or, for that matter, cheap hotel…) quality, but the guy, for all the evidence that is out there, didn't want them displayed in public. Knowing a bit about the Internet, I'm more interested in what kind of IT infrastructure he has that he's using to transmit his e-mails.

OTOH, it is interesting that the left still is all in a tizzy about GWB, and is looking to hack his e-mail.

FWIW, SPG, when you e-mail me, the e-mail server is in my garage. I don't trust Google, MSN, or any of the hosting sites that scan my e-mail and look for selling opportunities. I know it can be done during mail transmission, but it's just part of the risks…

Oh, and SPG, I would invite the guys from Guinness everywhere I went. Hopefully, they'd bring the beer. Or, am I thinking a different Guinness? ;)

13. SignPainterGuy on February 9th, 2013 4:35 pm

Your own server, eh ? I feel so small and insignificant …..

Yes indeed, those are the "other" Guinness guys. As it happens, though, I got the latest "Guinness Book of World Records" for Christmas. The things people will do in search of a record and a bit of fame is beyond amazing !

14. jeffythequick on February 9th, 2013 10:36 pm

yeah… master of my domain…