It’s a fairly slow news day and I’ve got about a half dozen things to get done, so feel free to talk about whatever’s going on in the world.

To get us started, I present to you the chyron graphic of the day, courtesy of CNN during their coverage of this story:

cnnchyron

In that case, pour me two glasses!

Other possible topics:

–Big surprise… MSNBC uses a selectively edited video.

–The government whose websites keeps getting hacked wants to train you for a career in cyber-security. Heh.

–A person who was shot at Columbine High School wrote a letter to the president that you’ll never ever hear Obama talk about.

Happy Friday all!

Comments

32 Responses to “Slow News Day Open Thread, CNN Chyron Edition”

1. jeffythequick on February 22nd, 2013 5:21 pm

I'll take my water, extra chunky!

Nice to know that a can of oil left open 20 miles from a reservoir will be an eco-hazard, but a rotting body in the water source is A-OK!

Your government at work!

2. JetHeadJoe on February 22nd, 2013 5:50 pm

Canadian? I thought Soledad O'Brien is Californian….

Poor Soledad. When people drown their sorrows, they drown their SORROWS…and usually they use alcohol.

I'm joking of course. Since this is CNN…and a slow news day…

3. Granny55 on February 22nd, 2013 6:18 pm

Rush was right on the whole gay marriage meme that the left just can't get enough of. Then it was gays in the military. Then a judge allowing more than two names on a birth certificate. And now we have this – Ughhhh just effin ughhhh

4. Granny55 on February 22nd, 2013 6:21 pm

The left is just not going to quit – the degradation and creepy morals of these pukes knows no boundaries.

5. Truesoldier__ on February 22nd, 2013 6:24 pm

regarding the link: Why Sandra, are you wanting to sign up?

6. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2013 7:40 pm

For all their bashing of traditional institutions and values ( why the hell do Gheys center their fight for 'equality' on "marriage"? )

It makes no sense. If you find everything about us utterly contemptable..? Oh… 'I' get it! You want to cheapen and degrade that time honored sacred institution *BY* getting 'married'.

Seen the latest Kindle commercial? Disgusting. And they run it in primetime.

7. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2013 7:52 pm

"Speaking of which-ish; did you see the link from a couple days ago I left ya of the Gibson reps visiting a local collector here who has 50 ish pre-war Gibsons?"

These, ahem, "barn finds" are what KEEPS the collectors going! I understand George Gruhn in Nashville has a standing offer should anyone stumble upon the mother lode? Here's what's remarkable, the '58 & '59 Les Pauls were anything but 'popular' in their initial prod. runs. Hence…! ( Less than 1,600 were orig. made )

Yet TODAY ( judging by for sale listings… ) there must have be around 160,000? Hmm… Between the hack ( hastily restored ) finish jobs, forgeries and "relicing" of freshly minted "Re-Issues" the market is so awash in counterfeit merchandise, I think I'm going to start dealing in PIANOS!

They're too BIG to for a bit of elbow grease, won't fit in the trunk of a forgers car and you don't have every guy that can play Smoke on the Water mucking up the works. Doug said it was a slow day right?

8. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2013 7:58 pm

Oh, just for ref., "relicing" is the faux art practice of taking new product off the shelf, leaving it to fade in the sun ( or high intensity heat lamps ) randomly beating it w/ chain links and then dragging it behind a pickup. Instant Vintage!

Or as my father would say while drinking in the garage; "I'm making antiques!" Forgers now realize Smell is one of the 5 Senses so they are now doused in beer and leave the cases open in musty car trunks for weeks to get that "bar room scent".

Welcome to the Obamabattan Death March 'Economy'!

9. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2013 8:42 pm

One woman said, "The water ran black for a few seconds before it cleared up." That sounds like black mold to me. Fascinating that BM would develop in only a few days; I have to wonder if there wasn`t something foul already in that water system ?! AND, I don`t think I`d ever trust that testing outfit.

Government in action / inaction; is that one word or two ?

10. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2013 8:55 pm

I thought the story was about Gibson having lost the plans / schematics for the old `30s, `40s models of guitars, so after learning that a local guy here had 50 of them, they came and checked them out.

I get your point, I`ve seen lots of faux antiquing methods, in fact, done some myself, but it was always made clear that it WAS faux !

When the paper mill here had lots of signs with blue backgrounds and needed only some of the lettering changed, my Dad would add silver paint to new paint of the original "unfaded" formula. It looked just like the naturally faded blue sign.

11. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2013 9:10 pm

SPG,

Right, it's all in the disclosure! Like any counterfeit ring ( you're lucky to stay one step ahead of them? ) High end, vintage builders now include secret identifying marks only [they] know about. At least it puts the brakes on and keeps them from getting conned by their *own* art!

But, be it guitars, advertising "collectibles", jukeboxes etc., just LOOK at the popularity of the latest round of reality tv. "American Pickers is practically a How-To-Guide ( in working under the table! ) Often wonder if the dealers they call on don't get a sudden visit from the IRS? And often suspect the reluctance Mike & Frankie encounter isn't a result of that?

*Everybody* wants to get to the underground economy ASAP and "stake out their claim" before 'those other guys' come along..!

12. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2013 9:31 pm

Which Kindle commercial do you mean ?

My Sis has a Kindle (Fire ? Not sure) and it`s like a hand-held computer; amazing.

13. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2013 9:39 pm

I watched the pickers at first, but bored of it. I wasn`t aware that the "pickees" were becoming targets !

And w/ those 16,000 new agents looking at everything and everyone, they`ll be looking for ways to validate their existence as well !

14. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2013 9:48 pm

Want to see something high tech that is truly fascinating ?

15. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2013 10:45 pm

Right, you have to be pretty bored to watch a full episode any more. But just look at all the spin/knock-offs that have resulted. Virtually every channel now has their version.

In the past, I never had anything but contempt for people that operated junkyards, coin-op laundry, sports collectibles etc. Any "cash house" biz that really -were- making things tougher on the rest of us! And remember, those guys used to BRAG about what they were getting away w/ and never missed a chance to rub your nose in it!

Any more, pfftt, if you can get away w/ it? Whatever! Cool vid btw, thanks.

16. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2013 2:43 am

TS, have you bought and watched "Atlas Shrugged: Part II" yet ? Anyone else ?

I just now watched it. Wow, I can`t wait for part III now and I know I`ll wish it could be a regular series. Talk about prescient !

17. Truesoldier__ on February 23rd, 2013 1:54 pm

We did buy it. The only thing we didn't like was that now we have to wait for part III.

18. Truesoldier__ on February 23rd, 2013 1:54 pm

O/T….My father in law sent me this one and I thought you all would love it:

I was eating breakfast with my 14-year-old Granddaughter and I asked her,

"What day is tomorrow?"
    Without skipping a beat she said, "It's President's Day!"
    She's smart, so I asked her "What does President's Day mean?"
    I was waiting for something about Washington or Lincoln, etc.
    She replied, "President's Day is when President Obama steps out of the White House,

and if he sees his shadow, we have 4 more years of Bull @#$&."

19. Truesoldier__ on February 23rd, 2013 2:30 pm

O/T…I see firearm manufactures are hitting back at the governments (fed,state, local) that want to limit or restrict firearm ownership. These companies have more balls than the entire GOP leadership combined.

20. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2013 3:46 pm

It keeps us living in anticipation !

In a collection of Alfred Hitchcock`s s stories, there was one of a little girl who was always late for school. Asked by the teacher why, she replied that she had been reading to her Grandmother – it kept her alive. She explained that she would make her Grandmother wait until the next day for the end of a story, when she would then begin another. The woman was nearly 100 yrs old. The story ends with the teacher, now in her 90s, closing a book she has been reading to her own Mother, 130 yrs old, telling her she will finish the book tomorrow.

21. Marshall_Will on February 23rd, 2013 4:08 pm

Thought my "Wordpress account" from MM's ( which is what her IT guy uses right? ) would work on your blog's commenting, apparently not?!

In the interim, YES. How can you not be proud of the stand these powder and shootin' iron CEO's have taken!? The REST of America's Incredible Shrinking B@lls CEO's might take note?

No amount of Appeasement Yellow TM ( h/t MM ) is going to 'smooth' things over w/ those hellbent on [ultimately] your final destruction! These guys get it. The first step to being able to walk away from a fight a winner ( is the ability to recognize you're IN one! )

How many times do you need to take a cluebat to the groin before it starts sinking in?

22. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2013 4:43 pm

I HATE it when this site goes all WordPress on us. It asks for a WP sign in, but won`t allow it when you try, and I DO have a WP "commenter acct." It is required AND WORKS at several w/s where I comment regularly, but oddly, not all of them ! WP is weird !

Yes indeed, I`m pleased as punch that several gun and ammo mfr. have stubbed up on the gun grabbers. I think it`s funny as H… !

Cluebats are ineffectual on libs !

23. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2013 4:53 pm

A commenter at "Nox & Friends" just mentioned that Obama had the blimp that patrols our southern border moved to DC. What does he have goin` on that he needs THAT ? Something in DC or something big about to move across the border ?

Has anyone else heard that ?

24. Truesoldier__ on February 23rd, 2013 5:40 pm

It should work now. Didn't notice I had a registration thing set to must regsiter to comment, so now your wordpress account ought to work.

25. Truesoldier__ on February 23rd, 2013 5:42 pm

No I haven't heard about it, but it does make you wonder just who (or what) is about to come across the border.

26. Truesoldier__ on February 23rd, 2013 5:45 pm

That's cause you can't knock sense into a brick.

What I love about this approach is it is going to get the attention of those in law enforcement when they realize that they will no longer be able to purchase firearms leacing them as defenseless as the government wants to leave us against criminals who will continue to have no problem getting firearms.

Once that sinks in you will see law enforcement become an ally to get rid of these intrusive laws.

27. Marshall_Will on February 23rd, 2013 6:03 pm

Right, there's conversations we can have THERE ( because I wouldn't want to compromise Doug ) and simply *shouldn't* be posted in front of ever prying eyes at Michelle's Place!

Oh and uh… Wah-ZANG!

28. Marshall_Will on February 23rd, 2013 6:09 pm

I…. keep TELLING people..?

The parallels to the Marcos Regime and O'Drama never END. While stationed there in the early/mid/well pretty much the ENTIRE 80's… Ferdinand passed ( oddly enough? ) a "Presidential Decree" ( read Executive Order ) that forbade the use of ( get this ) model airplanes, in the Philippines!

RPV ( Remote Piloted Vehicle ) of which I was one of the forerunners, was just getting started. I worked in the launch/recovery aspects of the mission. Since Marcos was "our boy fighting 'communism' in Asia!" he had privvy to virtually ALL of weapons development, at least those deployed in the P.I.

Crafty old bugger I'll hand him THAT? He KNEW these systems could be used for survellience, recon AND small weapons deployment! Paranoid SOB that thought everyone was out to get him! I knew some guys that WOULD have if they COULD have!

29. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2013 7:42 pm

So, now we have the Oath Keepers that we already knew we could count on and a new group of armed agents / agencies who just learned they aren`t such hot sh*t after all ! At least until "Atlas Shrugged: Part II`s" Fairness Act is made real !

30. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2013 7:47 pm

I just learned that AP reported on the blimps over DC in Jan. It`s part of a larger missile shield plan ordered by DoD. Mm hmm ! http://hardnoxandfriends.wordpress.com/2013/02/01

The pair of blimps will be tied at 10,000' over the city. Iranian or AQ missiles ?

Sounds to me to be more of an eye in the sky to keep an eye on neighborhoods around DC.

31. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2013 7:54 pm

Please KEEP telling those stories; they add to the creepy parallels between Oblamo, Marcos, Lenin, pick-your-fave-commie !

32. custom writings on September 17th, 2013 4:59 pm

Nice brief, furthermore very informative! Thanks for sharing this video.