petfoodstamps

For now this is a private program, but don’t think for a second that it isn’t perking up the ears of the welfare state proponents in Washington, DC:

If you are struggling to buy food and supplies for your pets, there may be help for you.

Pets are like members of the family, so when their family is in need, so are they.

That gave Marc Okon an idea. He founded the non-profit company “pet food stamps” in New York City.

The company started two weeks ago, and already thousands of people have logged onto his website.

“I intend to keep people from choosing from having to feed themselves or their pets or having to surrender their pets to a high kill shelter.”

Prediction: The current administration will be all over the pet food stamps movement within a year:

dogbone

“ObamaBone!”

Comments

36 Responses to “Catching on Fast in the Era of Hope & Change: Pet Food Stamps”

1. SignPainterGuy on February 28th, 2013 2:25 pm

The DC Keynesians MUST believe Thatcher was wrong, they`ll NEVER run out of OPM ! It`s a bottomless, full well !

With this admin`s record, ObamaBones will become a reality sooner than we think ! If it does, I hope that name sticks !

2. Marshall_Will on February 28th, 2013 2:39 pm

Oh… Doug! You know there's already an active black market underway for PFS and people are claiming multiple litters..!

We need a photoshop of some poor female ( read taxpayer ) w/ swollen, wore out thoroughly depleted nipples and a line of freeloading pups lined up around the BLOCK.

( Please tell me this is one of Power's parody pieces? )

3. Obama bin Biden on February 28th, 2013 3:31 pm

I'd gladly feed a cute pet who got a bum deal instead of a chronic welfare cow.

4. SignPainterGuy on February 28th, 2013 3:35 pm

Sadly, NO !

Pretty much the same thing as Doug`s link .

5. JetHeadJoe on February 28th, 2013 3:42 pm

Nah…never happen. Hell, my cat likes to kill chipmunks. If I stopped feeding him, I bet that he will eat what he kills, instead of leaving it for me to discover later on while mowing the lawn.

Come to think of it, my cat is like a welfare recipient; everything he has or gets comes from Big Daddy Me, so, maybe I should make him earn his keep and provide his own food this way. It would be almost as amusing to watch as giving food stamp recipients shotguns, teaching them how to hunt, and then pointing them to the woods.

6. Marshall_Will on February 28th, 2013 3:44 pm

Sacred, SACRED cow…!

If your cute pet VOTED ( this would be a different story? )

7. Marshall_Will on February 28th, 2013 3:49 pm

Joe,

It's been so long since even many conservatives have been forced to "eat what we kill" we'd probably starve too. That's why I watch the first 15 mins. of There Will Be Blood any time I get down.

I mean look at MM and Doug. Blog-ad revenue and speaking fees. ( WHEN you can GET them..!? ) Sounds like a pretty rough way to make a LIVING if you ask me? But that's the whole intent of the stranglehold on the economy!

A few more years of this and NONE of us will know what it's like "to go out and EARN a sale". Personally I plan on setting up a puppy pound and having the rest of you guys FUND my little Craigslist enterprise..?

8. SignPainterGuy on February 28th, 2013 3:58 pm

"……. and then pointing them to the woods." Now THERE`s a visual ! Heh !

The cat I grew up with got canned food (the stinkingest fish flavor avail. was her fave), dry or soft morsels, raw chunks of stew meat and calve`s liver. She was not picky and ate most all put down to her. We jokingly called it, "Getting on the outside of it !"

She STILL hunted, successfully. Anytime you stepped outside, any door, you needed to watch for dead critters; mice, moles, voles, baby bunnies n squirrels and birds. If we congratulated her by petting her (she was adding to the family larder, she thought), she would then eat it. How, I don`t know, but she was not at all fat.

9. JetHeadJoe on February 28th, 2013 4:00 pm

Will,

It's as Ted Nugent says: I kill it and then I grill it. Nothing says success like a large gut pile.

I've never hunted, but I sure would love to learn. Given the current direction of the country, I should join my local rod and gun club and join the NRA. Who knows? This could become necessary someday. But first, I need to start that backyard garden I keep putting off…

10. Truesoldier__ on February 28th, 2013 5:11 pm

But chipmunks are not on the "approved meat list". Just ask the homeless shelter in Louisana that had 1600lbs of venison covered in bleach and thrown out by government officials because it was not on the approved list.

11. Truesoldier__ on February 28th, 2013 5:12 pm

"Prediction: The current administration will be all over the pet food stamps movement within a year"

And I smell a voter registration act will go with it…..

12. Obama bin Biden on February 28th, 2013 5:14 pm

If the Obama regime gets their way, we'll get the needle along with an ailing Fido once we've become an inconvenience.

13. jeffythequick on February 28th, 2013 6:50 pm

As a trainer of a Service Dog (he's mine), the best way to get nothing from your dog buy contempt is to not require them to do a trick before eating.

Smell my low blood sugar breath, bump my leg, get a treat.

Hey… I just thought of a new workfare program!

14. Truesoldier__ on February 28th, 2013 8:26 pm

Just saw that the sequestration would put Biden back on Amtrrack for his trips home. The funniest line of the story is this:

Speaking at the National Association of Attorneys General, Biden said that while he took nearly 8,000 train trips as senator, the Secret Service made him travel by air because the Amtrak "gives too many opportunities for people to interact with me in a way they wouldn't like to see."

Some how I don't think the Secret Service meant quite what Biden thought they did.

15. SignPainterGuy on February 28th, 2013 10:55 pm

I could be wrong (wanna get that out of the way ;-) ), but didn`t Clinton get rid of "workfare" ?

16. SignPainterGuy on February 28th, 2013 11:10 pm

I heard Maximum Waters statement, "Sequestration will cost 170 Million jobs" on Rush this afternoon. I was eager to get back home to get online and see if anyone else had heard it. Lo and behold, Doug has the story posted at MM`s !

Rush said there are 140 M jobs in the US; Doug`s sources say 150 M. Doug`s number sounds better for the country, so I`ll take it ! I loved his line, "So 20 Million people will lose their jobs twice" ! Anyway, my point is, Maxie and Ninny Nan "America is losing 500 Million jobs a month" Pelosi apparently went to the same School of Hyperbolic Mathematics.

17. Truesoldier__ on March 1st, 2013 1:16 am

Perhaps she is counting the jobs that were lost, but saved with the stimulous, and now they will be lost again….just saying that is making me dizzy.

18. jeffythequick on March 1st, 2013 1:34 am

I thought deal leader did last year…after Newt and Clinton started it…

Too tired to check…

Levin had some good stuff on what Reagan and Clinton did during their shutdowns, and how dear leader does. It was quite a contrast. Clinton and Reagan both worked to save essential services. Dear Leader threatens air traffic, meat inspectors, releasing illegals, all to show how, if he doesn't get what he wants, there will be hell to pay… wait… didn't he say that to Woodward?

19. Marshall_Will on March 1st, 2013 1:43 am

Ha! Sorry I missed that, I'll have to catch up. Went to fill in at the base for awhile today. Great to see some familiar ( but aging ) faces!

Everyone's so non-plussed and unimpressed with… The Great Sequestor it isn't funny. Beat them w/ a wet noodle. Hopefully my pay will get further than Personnel ( as I may have made the cutoff prior to midnight? )

Maxine, that gurl is such a cut-up huh?

20. Marshall_Will on March 1st, 2013 1:50 am

JetHeadJoe,

I'm thinking.., primarily ALCOHOL. I've read about the survivors in Serbia and gold bricks weren't valued as much as toilet paper. Running water was like heaven. But w/ booze ( you can always TRADE for what you want/need ) My Champagne with a Kick is coming along?

But I agree, Pasadena Phil has repeatedly said we hardly have to be 'survivalist' to keep what just a generation ago was considered "a normal stock on hand". My WWII-era neighbor had (2) freezers worth of meat/veggies and cases of Hamm's ( The Beer 'Refreshing' ) stacked up to the garage ceiling.

He never even mentioned his thinking it was reactionary or in any way doom & gloom. Ross often said "At my age, I've made my last Beer Run".

21. Marshall_Will on March 1st, 2013 1:52 am

With great fanfare down the home stretch as a gift to the 47%. Michelle's done articles on how the $'s surfaced at ( where else ) strip clubs…

What was her headline? "Lap Dances for Losers"?

22. SignPainterGuy on March 1st, 2013 2:43 am

Catching like a yawn ! Or maybe Typhoid Mary ! STAY OUT`A DC folks, it`s conTAgious !

23. JetHeadJoe on March 1st, 2013 11:37 am

Will,

You're right about alcohol. Famous moonshiner, the late great Popcorn Sutton, once said that "a gallon of whiskey would sell when a bushel of taters won't." Hell, since the government is going to hell in a handbasket anyway, we all can brew in our front yards because budget cuts to police forces just might limit the amount of patrols in our neighborhoods. All we'll need is our own gardens to grow our own corn. Our guns are all the protection and meat supply we need. It sounds like the mountain man lifestyle could bake a comeback. Move over, Gangnam style, and make room for the Appalachian Hustle!

24. SignPainterGuy on March 1st, 2013 1:08 pm

Curious, how did you know of Pop Corn ? I met him a few times, though I never witnessed personally his "Appalachian Shuffle" (known to be not so fast), I DID get to sample his wares in a variety of flavors: apricot, peach, apple, birch (my fave), but I missed the watermelon…….. all VERY smooth. Hic**>^<

Yeah, the PoPo may be trimmed back, but don`t count on city officials cutting you slack on "front" yard gardens, so grow your "corn" around back !

25. Marshall_Will on March 1st, 2013 1:19 pm

and make room for the Appalachian Hustle!

Or as we'd say in Oregon ( Tuesday ) A few years back I got a speeding ticket in Jackson County, OR ( hey, why else own a Jag? ) by one of THE most hi-tech radar systems I've ever SEEN. And remember, I worked avionics for the military!

Mindful, this in a county where Unemployment is 20%+ and teen boys hunt w/ jeans and gym shoes for meat…

26. Truesoldier__ on March 1st, 2013 1:31 pm

O/T…bad news here in WA ST. The state supreme court overturned our 2/3rds majority to raise taxes initiative saying that the State Constitution does not allow for it, so we have to ammend the constitution. So as of today the only thing stoping WA ST from becoming CA on taxes is the new majority fiscal coalition in the State Senate.

The coalition has put forth a Constitutional ammendment to require a 2/3rds majority to raise taxes and fees, but it is highly unlikely it will get the 2/3rds vote needed in each chamber of the State Legislature (though I would bet it would pass the 2/3rds threshold for the voters).

At least one Justice called this what it is:

27. Truesoldier__ on March 1st, 2013 1:34 pm

(Cont) Justice James Johnson:

"There is considerable irony in today's decision given the majority's claim fear of tyrannical majority control. Through a single decision, a court of nine people (actually only six) is imposing their policy preferences over that of the 1,575,655 voters who passed inniative 1053 and the millions who qualified and passed similiar tax protections."

28. Marshall_Will on March 1st, 2013 2:07 pm

Oh man… I suppose they learned those bully tactics from Oregon, after all!

Ahem, we don't advocate violence here at the PTB but the temptation to set the SC building on FIRE is overwhelming. This is NOT the reason we have 'courts'! Here's what's really odd:

As a regional sales guy I've driven all OVER WA ST. Most of it, is UNINHABITED. You can figure on scheduling 3+ hours in between presentations So why is it again Olympia needs their hands on all that money?

Keyrhist..! Other than Hawaii the Tri-Cities are the most isolated population in the WORLD. Other than ranching and farming, there's little if any employment east of the Cascades? Let's band swaths of CalOrWash and just make a new state?

29. Truesoldier__ on March 1st, 2013 2:44 pm

Sounds good to me. the West vs. East side of the state is such a stark difference.

I just wonder if the GOP in this state has enough sense to use this as a campaign issue come 2014? IF they are smart they push for a Constitutional ammendment requiring the 2/3rds majority at the begining of the the 2014 session. It will either pass due to political fear of the voters or it fails handing any challenger a key issue to campaign on.

30. Truesoldier__ on March 1st, 2013 2:49 pm

Oh Boy! Questions are starting to be raised over whether NoKo's latest nuke test was really for NoKo:

Perhaps more important, the RAND Corporation reports that the third North Korean nuclear test appears to many experts to be fundamentally different from its previous two efforts. North Korea's first tests used plutonium to trigger the nuclear explosion. This one, according to some atmospheric tests, likely used highly enriched uranium, exactly the form of nuclear weapon pursued by Iran.

31. JetHeadJoe on March 1st, 2013 2:57 pm

SPG,

Discovery Channel did a show, Moonshiners, that followed around 'shiners and the law that chased after them. Popcorn Sutton was featured on the show a few times.

It's cool you were able to taste his liquor in it's best form (illegal). You can get the legal Popcorn Sutton moonshine in Tennessee liquor stores, but it's not the same. It's not available in my neck of the woods (NY), but the Junior Johnson 'shine (Midnight Moon) is pretty decent.

32. SignPainterGuy on March 1st, 2013 3:44 pm

Pop Corn "liked" his liquor and made sure it was made w/ clean, safe equipment and flavored for extra enjoyment and smooth. It didn`t burn quite like acid, as did / does most moonshine, definitely tasted good and would certainly take you on a trip without ever leavin` the farm if you drank too much !

For guys I knew, a pint was that "too much" !

33. ChapBix on March 2nd, 2013 12:22 am

Why not? The Dems register canines to vote for them. It's worked with the low-information voters.

34. Jeffrey on March 16th, 2013 9:40 am

htc 1 Smartphone Touchscreen-Display Ultrapixel Kamera 32 GB interner Speicher is coming soon

35. Belen on May 21st, 2013 10:49 am

Pets are the real beauty of a home but their health is more delicate which creates problem for human being. Mostly the food of pet should be good and tasty which will make them healthy. Some of the people like to give their own home food to the pets but in this case they are not getting enough nutrition from the home made food. Better to acquire the food which is better for the pets and for the better health care.
    Best Vet Simi Valley

36. hopy on March 31st, 2014 6:51 am

yes increasingly important pet happy people, we become friends when they are sad, they can cso amuse people, …..