Last week we talked about Pet Food Stamps, a private charity aimed at helping those who struggle to afford pet food in this glorious age of Hope & Change. I remarked that it probably wouldn’t be long before the government jumped on board.

I think we’re moving in that direction:

The First Lady admitted that President Obama liked to tease their own dog, “Bo” for being lazy, but that they encouraged her girls to take him on walks.

“Dogs are no different,” Michelle Obama explained to a woman on the chat. “You want to make sure they are eating a balanced diet, and if they are not an active dog, make sure that their food is reflective of an inactive dog and then get them out there and throw that ball and get them running.”

I assume this means that we’re just a few weeks away from dogs complaining about their government-provided lunches just like the students.

Comments

54 Responses to “Pets Move! FLOTUS Speaks on the Importance of Dog Exercise and Nutrition”

1. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 12:48 pm

So the First BroadButt says, "If your dog is a BroadButt, get it BroadButt food and then take it outside for some ball chasing fun !" Yep, that`ll work !

2. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 12:54 pm

And again with the trout pout LIP thing..! Without intending ( a lot of us get better at lip reading ) Unless she's perpetually using the word 'moist', there's no reason for her lips to be peanut butter smacking like that!

3. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 1:01 pm

FLOTUS,

Talk about creating a problem then offering a 'solution'? Your HUSBAND has cork screwed the economy into such a smoking HOLE, indulging our pets is one the FEW 'luxuries' many of us can still afford to do!

Gone are the days of dining out several times a week, trips to Vegas and belonging to a fitness club. Judging from Craigslist, everyone that HAS an RV is trying to SELL their RV as they can no longer afford the gas to take it the city park, let alone Yosemite?

Our pets can SENSE something is wrong with our lives. And while you and your husband are partying like ( and WITH ) rockstars, we'll comfort ourselves knowing at least the DOG is happy…

4. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 1:31 pm

"President Obama liked to tease their own dog, “Bo” for being lazy"

Reminds me of this quote:

Dr. Evil: ….My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

5. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 1:33 pm

At this rate I wonder how long it will be till dear leader mandates that we must have Obamacare insurance for our pets?

6. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 1:39 pm
  7. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 1:44 pm

Ha! Now that is funny.

8. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 1:49 pm

Ha! Perfect. Son Of Sequestor!

Also notice how much of what the Obama's spend their day at would get most of us FIRED? The Google 'Hangout' being commandeered by the WH. JUST what we need… Another e-distribution channel for them to exploit!

Doesn't it look all warm and fuzzy? Does Mrs. D'Bag have any IDEA how many otherwise decent Americans were *forced* to abandon their pets as her husband got more lighter fluid and matches torching the economy?

People that were UH… living in homes where they didn't need anyone's 'permission' to have a damned pet suddenly forced into apartments and rental homes that simply didn't ALLOW it..? D'Bag.

9. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 1:56 pm

Or just no longer living in homes. We saw a lot of that in our neck of the woods were peopel just abandoned their pets when they lost their homes. All 3 of our cats were rescued. One from a friend of ours who found a pregnant female on their doorstep (we too kin one of the kittens) and the other two were kittens that we found out in our back yard that the mother had abadoned. The youngest of the 3 was so small when we found him he fit in the palm of my hand (and he is still a tiny little runt to this day).

10. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 2:11 pm

God love you for not leaving them to starve in the street. At certain levels, the same thing has happened w/ humans. I imagine in many cases it was a matter for couples where (1) salary went to paying the home and (1) went to all the other bills, food, entertainment ( pets ) etc.

Well.., when (1) lost their JOB..!?!? But MO sits on do-nothing hospital boards and draws a nice 'salary' for attending (2) meetings a year so we can't expect her to connect w/ the reality these people have been facing?

In many cases I'll bet the reason you kept having to take in neighborhood strays was; when people find themselves in these situations, they try to hang on hoping "things get better" and hold out to the bitter end! By the time they reach the point of getting evicted, even if the apt. WILL accept pets ( they barely have the $'s for a reg. sec. dep. let alone a PET deposit! )

11. Dexter_Alarius on March 5th, 2013 2:36 pm

Can't be too far down the road. There are already Pet Food Stamps. It's a private enterprise funded with donations, but I'm sure the goobermint will take it over soon. Poor people have the right to have pets, too!

12. jeffythequick on March 5th, 2013 2:37 pm

I was filling up the Accord this morning, and a guy with a beautiful 5 year old F-150 said, "Wow! $3.85, and it's not even summer yet!"

I smiled, and said, "It must be Obama and all his oil buddies."

He looked confused, and sputtered something, and I said, "it's been 4 1/2 years. It was worse in 1980, and Reagan had it done in 3. When you wake up and realize that this guy doesn't want to fix the problem, then you'll be on your own path to recovery."

He looked at me stunned. I smiled, and bid him farewell.

I'm Jeffy the much quicker in the morning.

13. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 2:39 pm

OK, the peanut butter lip smacking made me curious so I watched the vid. Gee thanks, btw ! Could she bite the end off a rifle barrel ?

She said she sends the girls out to make the dog run and tells them to stay out there for a while. (Go away kids, you bother me !) It`s not until the days get brighter and warmer that she and Barry go outside with the girls and First Pooch. Is that when the photo ops pop up like daffodils ?

Oddly missing from her mandate to improve the diet and exercise regimen of our sedentary pets was any mention of the "schtruggle" she or we or anyone faces to live life to the fullest in these times of unprecedented Republican obstructionism !

14. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 2:52 pm

Jeff,

And I never MISS the chance to bring up those issues whether they're 'solicited' or not. My 2 X Loser neighbor is quickly facing failing health. I KNOW he's dreading our inevitable confrontation as he hobbles about the condo complex in what increasingly looks like a state of dementia.

By voting Mo' Hope & Change he must now realize what jeopardy he and his ILK have placed Med/Med in and w/ the sequestor, who knows how much longer VA hospitals will be around? He t-r-i-e-s to conduct himself w/ some measure of 'dignity', holding his head up but even Mrs. Will can tell he's feeling every BIT the fool…

15. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 2:59 pm

My last pet was a rescue; my Daughter`s teammate`s older Sister tried to get anyone on the team to take the last kitten of the litter to save it from the pound. She was so ugly ( a mix of siamese, calico and something w/ white feet – so tiny (palm size) and ugly, she was barely cute), no one, not even that Dottermine who LOVES critters wanted her. I would have taken her, but I had recently allowed my ZooKeeper to take in a stray that we aptly named "Crabby"; I could see a fight hapnin` !

After practice, I sent the girl home w/ her Mom and went back to work. Across the road in the weeds was THAT kitten, meowing pitifully. So, "Itty Bitty" became our new cat and pestered me for the next 17 1/2 years until just after last ThanksGiving.

"Itty Bitty" fit only for the next month or so; she gained weight and grew to about 17 lbs. in no time. She never got really wide, but nearly dragged the floor.

16. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 3:05 pm

Not only that, but we found out that if you take them to the animal shelter, the animal shelter charges a minimum of $20 per animal to take them in. If you don't have the money to care for them (or yourselves) you are left with no choice but to abandon them and hope they survive.

17. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 3:13 pm

No kidding. It is actually qite a site to see all the libs here that work on base that cannot believe that dear leader has left them out to dry with the sequestration. There are many that have overextended themselves so much that they are barely surviving paycheck to paycheck right now (including the double income govt worker families). They are worried that with the loss of pay from the sequestration they will not be able to pay the rent.

I have pointed out that the sequestration cuts do not require a furlough as the money could be cut in wasteful spending (like the purchase of multiple 32" plasma screen displays for the ER for the purpose of monitoring patients vitals in HD and full color). I let them know that these cuts are directed by the leadership at the Pentagon who get their marching orders from the CiC. You can see the regret on many a face realizing that when they voted for dear leader in Nov they brought this on themselves.

Not to mention, this is what the private sector has been dealing with for the past 4 years due to the same govt workers voting for dear leader in 2008.

18. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 3:19 pm

On that subject, gas hit $4. (here) during Bush 43. Prices have yo-yoed the last 4 yrs, but haven`t hit the magic $4. during Barry`s terms. I paid $3.01 just before Christmas and $2.95 in MS., but it has inched back up since ……. well, this time it seems to have "footed" back to $3.80-something until Fri. Now it`s inching back down.

Could there be a propagandist-correlation between Bush`s $4. mark and Barry`s relationship w/ big Oil ?

19. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 3:22 pm

"cannot believe that dear leader has left them out to dry with the sequestration"

It's the very reason they bent over backwards [ideologically ] and against all the better instincts *to* vote for this clown..! Just as all the pink-slipped folks in the pvt. sector back in '08 saw him as an incompetent ( but otherwise 'harmless' ) bleeding heart to grease 99 Weeks O' Unemployment!

Yeah, the people I see on Base knocking down what you and I thought "only *officers* make THAT kind of money!?" finding themselves in financial binds is just ridiculous. They -leverage- their paychecks out to-the-penny and just can't afford to come up a penny short!

Several are up for their 10 year Security Clearance reviews and… I think are in for a bit of explaining?

20. JetHeadJoe on March 5th, 2013 3:27 pm

Wow…the Obamas are sure in a punshing mood. First, they threaten the press corps, and punish them by revoking access. Evidently, some stray mutt took a dump on the White House lawn, and so now we have this.

Boy, do I feel sorry for the next poor soul that rips a fart at the Obamas' next party. They'll probably have the perpetrator's butt crack sealed with roofing cement.

21. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 3:47 pm

Funny how these folks will have to answer questions regarding their finances; yet dear leader never had to answer questions about people he called mentor and hung aroudn with from his past.

22. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 3:50 pm

Yeah, our little guy (our youngest named him Pigglet as he would push the other two older cats out of his way and try to eat everything) is still a little guy. He is almost half the size of the two females we have and they are of average cat size.

23. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 3:56 pm

DAW! ( The Abortion parallels here are tearing my HEART out guys ! )

Right, the cataclysm of unending financial WOE that came crashing down on the middle class was a sight to behold. $20 bucks may not look like a lot in '07 but the number of people and pets slipping between the cracks was stunning.

If The State is all-seeing ( and all knowing ) why weren't provisions made to waiver the $20 fee at shelters, previously? This was unprecedented and people weren't dropping them b/c they broke up w/ 'that' GF and didn't WANT them any more!? What were they supposed to do.., -not- take the apt. and live under a bridge w/ their CAT?

24. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 4:10 pm

Enter Moral Hazard. These guys are making more than ever before and have lifestyle issues most junior enlisted simply couldn't have imagined just a few years ago.

I get frustrated w/ them sometimes b/c I feel w/ the money they're making there's no reason the kids can't be in day care or why they don't have a MAID to run errands etc. Time management, lifestyle management.

Instead they "lever up!" their paychecks to the last DIME and then want time off for every little appointment, DMV run and chore? We sent out an email a few weeks back drawing a hard and fast line. Telling folks to just forget it and get back on the program.

But you're absolutely right, 18-30 enlisteds held to a higher standard than their CiC… Sheesh.

25. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 4:27 pm

"Pigglet", I love that !

I like to let a critter`s actions name them. A male black cat startled the life out`a me one night as I was cleaning rabbit cages. I named him "Spook". My first cat pounced on everything and was always in the middle, so I named "her" Tiger. It got blowback from the correctionistas in the family, so when her Persian-Tortoise Shell features (precisely her "rear-view") fully blossomed, I agreed to change her name to "Bloomers" ! Itty Bitty you know about.

My wife took in a little grey tabby kitten while I was at work. We`d agreed, no more pets until we could decide "together" on a good one, so she hid him in the mobile home bathroom until she could break the news gently and creatively after supper. Well, I came home, opened front door while still standing on the ground which put me at eye level with the little clown – escape artist who was laying in the chair across the living room. I went straight to him and picked him up, the wife came out of the kitchen with this "OOPS" look on her face and said, "Alright, Buster, how`d you get out of the bathroom ?" So, Buster Kitten (from the famous clown, Buster Keaton) became a valued member of our family !

The first pets we had after our Daughter was born were two bunnies; one light brown, the color of a honey bun, the other was chocolate brown with one small white spot under her nose that moved as she twitched her nose. Honey and Booger ! One of my Daughter`s first words and often the first word she spoke when she woke up in the mornings was, "Wabbits" !

At one time, we had countless fish, a canary, a large dog, 11 cats and 33 rabbits, hence, my "ZooKeeper" reference earlier.

26. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 4:44 pm

Did anyone else see this ? Doug`s post on new duds for the TSA makes this fascinating; are they feeling so good, they cut us some slack ?

27. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 4:47 pm

Our oldest cat is named Mimi…She reminded us of Mimi from the Drew Carey show…she is always right, everything has to be her way and she can give you one hellavu an evil eye if she is annoyed by you.

Our middle cat is named Spongebob. I kept telling the boys to come up with a name for her or I would name her Bob (to which they laughed thinking it was silly). Later that night I went to do the dishes and could not find the sponge. About 2 seconds later she ran by with the sponge in her mouth and that was that….she became Spongebob.

28. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 6:15 pm

Babiesgrandma just posted they're closing the WH to public tours, the sequest of course. Bummer.

My buddy down at the Base just took the shaft. He's been there forever and applied as supervisor and even got a "Congrats!" email, so I called him and he said uh… hey dude, nothing's gonna' HAPPEN?

In Obama's world, only the little people PAY.

29. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 6:27 pm

I just saw that about the WH Tours. I guess we finally found something dear leader is willing to cut. Of course this way it keep us pesky citizens out of "his house".

There is also this bit of spending still on the books:

Coburn to USDA: Halt conferences featuring wine tastings, focus on food safety

30. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah, but I'll bet they'll keep confiscating those dangerous nail clippers.

31. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 6:35 pm

And now word is that 5,000 more illegals due to be set free (this includes the 2,000 all ready set free)

32. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 6:48 pm

Speaking of the Let's Move project, it sure doesn't seem to be affected by the sequestration at all (via twitchy)

Secret service in the house at We The Pizza on Capitol Hill. Michelle Obama’s having a dinner meeting upstairs, the cashier tells me.

33. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 7:18 pm

You 'sure' that was Meanchelle leaving We The Pizza? Looked like a ROCKSTAR'S wife..! Sheeze on top da' cheeeze.

34. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 8:08 pm

O/T…Hugo Chavez has died:

35. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 8:09 pm

That kabuki is getting absolutely -zero- traction w/ the public. I think people are laughing at them and their transparent attempt to "seize the narrative". Wow, just pathetic.

36. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 8:09 pm

And what is more scary is that Holder has sent a letter to Rand Paul telling him that he could envision a scenario where a drone strike within the US would be legal:

37. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 8:19 pm

Speaking of the WH tours…I saw these two items:

Congressman: Will Jay-Z and Beyoncé still get White House tours?

and

Congressman: No golf trips for Obama until White House tours resume http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/05/congressman-no-

38. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 8:52 pm

C'mon man! That's below the belt?

( While we're being ridonkulus? )

39. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 8:54 pm

Sean Penn demands State Burial!

Obama loses major ally in the fight for global democracy.

( Does this mean the "Win-win" of our "being their best customer!" died 'with' Hugo? )

40. Truesoldier__ on March 5th, 2013 8:55 pm

I love how he tied it to the CR. That will burn up the dems in a big way.

41. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 8:56 pm

But we're worried about incivility from the Tea Party…

42. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 9:23 pm

And larger than 2 oz. bottles of shampoo !

43. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 9:34 pm

Sean Penn and Danny Glover are on Suicide Watch.

44. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 9:38 pm

So can I, but the differences would be in who I would call "Enemies of the State".

45. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 10:46 pm

Dude yer' KILLING me! Lol

Yeah, utterly despondent. And he looked so healthy? Always reminds me of Richard Dreyfus in "The Moon Over Parador" where he played this fictitious dicatator in this fictitious country, causing REAL problems!

Which essentially is now played in the real world BHO. Canceling the Thunderbirds ( how 'surgical' huh? ) and WH tours BUT… a complete unwillingness to even consider (again) entitlements, shows just how off base and laughable this Administration has become!

This is the corner they've painted themselves IN to and you just knew sooner or later they'd run out of A Good Crisis. Now the Whole World can laugh.

46. SignPainterGuy on March 5th, 2013 11:09 pm

He hasn`t milked Sequestration for all it`s worth yet : http://weaselzippers.us/2013/03/05/email-obama-re

Barry said it would be painful and since the Rs called his bluff, he has to prove it !

You`re right tho, Barry refuses to cut where cutting SHOULD be done !

BTW, watch what happens in the WH while it`s closed to tours, ie; bedroom remodels n redecorating, replace the "Bo enhanced" carpets, etc. That probably wouldn`t go over too well in this environment of enforced austerity, but you know how spend-a-holics gotta spend ! Can`t break that streak !!

47. Marshall_Will on March 5th, 2013 11:43 pm

Don't Stop The Party..! If they had their way they'd be doing a lot more than paint & wallpaper. Try floor to ceiling self-portraits, secret access tunnels and in-house wall-to-wall wiring so the muslim brotherhood can listen in 24/7.

There have been times in the past when president's were forced to close for renovations etc. but never as a political PLOY such as we're seeing! Everyone's too exhausted to show much interest in SeeQuest and if he can't keep viewers GLUED to their sets for The End Of The World… ( what's he going to do for his 2nd act? )

In ways, and I'll just go ahead and SAY it.., no different than so many of the Conservative blogs/commentators. They cried wolf, from the rooftops and any soapbox they could find and utterly Burned.Us.OUT. Looking back, a little humility ( given we were *all* in UNCHARTED waters ) would have gone a long way. Instead we got, "Buy my BOOK and I'll saaaave you..! I'm 'smarter' than you."

What a total WASTE.

48. ChapBix on March 5th, 2013 11:47 pm

So now she is a veterinarian? Barry's inclination is to write executive orders so with one flourishing trademark signature he could just create a whole new government program with spending to match. Guess the fraudulent votes from humans was not enough to satisfy him so he has to scout for more new ones?

49. ChapBix on March 6th, 2013 12:31 am

And I'm supposed to grieve because he has assumed room temperature or less? No tears shed here. Chavez was a kissing cousin of that nut in Iran.

50. SignPainterGuy on March 6th, 2013 12:37 am

Barry the Wolf in wolf`s clothing has to keep it going as long as possible. Good crises are hard to manufacture, don`t`cha know ?!

Yeah, it was obvious to us "just-a-blogger blog readers" that this was all a snow job, but even some cons. bloggers were running with the panic. My inbox has been full of the crap from sources that should`a known better. They wore my delete button OUT !

51. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 12:48 am

Great point Chap. Think we're attacking this from opposite ends. From the earliest point possible, a decision needed to be made whether we were going to go after the WH and throw 110% of our effort into that or simply cede it and re-plow the focus back into congressional seats and local races. But fever set in and many were there to ensure it never subsided long enough to stop and think?

It seemed like such an "easy target" and we were duped and deluded ourselves into taking the bait. Not once, but each and every TIME. Now we're SOL, on the outside, trying to figure out "what could have possibly gone wrong!?" Worse, we're still grossly over estimating the sway of the MSM. No one I know quotes or cites them. Period. But the romance of being able to lay claim to the title "America's Savior!" was just too tempting.

I'll credit those in a position to influence with appreciating the gravity of the situation. No doubt the stakes were high. But there was never good cause for ANY to believe gaining all three was even remotely 'attainable'. We went double or nothing then came up with cheery CYA lists and handy charts when it [predictably] blew up.

52. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 1:36 am

"were running with the panic"

Case in point, and Doug never treated the GreenBoondoggle for anything more than the comedic fodder it deserved but.., altogether too many "got caught up in the excitement!" ( thinking somehow they could ignite a grassroots call for impeachment ) without of course, using the word 'impeachment' themselves OR ( just as often ) grossly OVER stating the case! Only MM went about w/ measured expectations and mature approach.

Heck, there's plenty of US that should have pulled the plug, brought a cold slap and implored local rep's to Get.A.Grip. But the 2010 mid's were too intoxicating. You have to admit, it was euphoric.

But that should have been our FLAG. Like any account exec we've seen w/ drug, alcohol, marital ( and obviously financial ) issues thinking; "If I can just LAND that one big account..!?@$$?@" And we were plenty eager to lap it up.

My alarm went off primarily, as you noted, only when emails and tweets etc. came in faster than you could DELETE them..! If we're being honest, it was a distribution pipeline so saturated, it qualified as a 'virus'. And not 'viral' in a good way. Who *didn't* have a book out? And all on the same worn topic; O'Drama.

53. kateyleigh on March 10th, 2013 12:10 am

Bless you, Mama Michelle for that inspiring, enlightenment! How would I ever have known that?!
    Now I have to go, my dog is pestering to go out on his evening walk, like he does every day.

54. Walter Jones on April 25th, 2015 7:32 pm

During her Google Hangout today, First Lady Michelle Obama reminded the audience that dogs need a proper diet and exercise, just like children do. small and large breed dogs