drone1

Ironically this is the same Attorney General who wants non-US citizen terror suspects mirandized, offered full constitutional protections and tried in civilian courts inside the United States:

Attorney General Eric Holder Tuesday stopped short of entirely ruling out a drone strike against an American citizen on U.S. soil — without trial.

Holder’s comment came in a letter to Sen. Rand Paul. Paul had sent a letter to President Obama’s CIA director nominee John Brennan asking for the administration’s views on the president’s power to authorize lethal force.

In the letter, Holder said “It is possible I suppose to imagine an extraordinary circumstance in which it would be necessary and appropriate under the Constitution and applicable laws of the United States for the President to authorize the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States.”

No wonder Hollywood stays on their good side.

Update: Sen. Ted Cruz, after a few minutes of pulling teeth, got Eric Holder to admit that the Constitution does not permit the government to take out a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil who does not pose an imminent threat.

Comments

33 Responses to “Eric Holder: Yes, the President Has a Right to Drone-Whack American Citizens on US Soil Without a Trial, but Don’t Worry Because He Won’t — Well, Probably Not. OK, Maybe

1. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 1:05 pm

Could'a used one of these up at Ruby RIDGE huh fella's? The drone's scale is perfect for Doug's Obama Navy Seal action figure complete w/ Punisher t-shirt and C-4 explosive included!

2. Doug on March 6th, 2013 1:12 pm

Perfect for our Nobel Peace Prize Winner-in-Chief!

3. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm collecting all the Obama Action Figures and am not breaking up the SET for anyone!

This way when the ObamaBataanDeathMarch economy finds me holing up in a "weekly rates!" seedy motel off Long Beach Blvd. ( and my few remaining belongings are in a storage locker ) the collection will be featured on a future episode of Auction Hunters broadcast on The Obama Channel.

I leave the rest of my worldly possessions to the maid, Lupe. She was always kind and never called the night manager. Even when I played "Bad Motor Scooter" as loud as that beatbox would crank. By then, fresh C-cell batteries will be worth their weight in surplus TSA uniforms!

4. backwoodsconsr on March 6th, 2013 2:07 pm

Drone, does that refer to an unmanned, remote control aircraft or to Obama giving a speech?

I can tell you real quick which death I would prefer.

5. jeffythequick on March 6th, 2013 2:20 pm

How the Nobel Committee took a once prestigious honor and made it worthless.

Actually, they've been doing that for a while, that was just the cherry on top.

6. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2013 2:29 pm

So Holder is saying that dear leader can eliminate a US Citizen on US soil without due process if he deems that they are an imminent threat? How much you want to bet attakcwatch.com is going to be going into overdrive.

7. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2013 2:30 pm

I was thinking of dear leaders legion of followers….

8. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2013 2:31 pm

And right on queue….Bis Sis unveils drones that can identify civlians carry guns.

9. Joe Redfield on March 6th, 2013 2:32 pm

Since we apparently won't need them here, does the AG have any plans to ship drones to Mexican drug cartels?

10. JetHeadJoe on March 6th, 2013 2:40 pm

Damn…not only do I need a concealed carry permit for my handgun (that I don't have…yet…), am I going to need one for the rocket launcher I'll now need to defend myself if the government mistakes me for the individual they condemmed?

How long after somebody gets whacked by drone will it take for Holder to say "Drones don't kill people, people kill people!" Sheesh.

11. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 2:52 pm

Due to our age, we probably don't have a lot to worry about. In fact, like JTQ ( I'm getting more brazen and confrontational w/ Progs all the time! )

But given the Left's unshakable devotion to "predictive software", it won't be long before they're able to winnow thru data ( tax filings, driver's licenses and of course party registrations ) to determine WHOM among us is "the next Jared Loughner".

Once they have unbridled access to our medical records, they'll have the last piece of the puzzle. Being able to "range in" on those that "fit the profile" along w/ knowledge of psych records and which of us are terminally ill coupled w/ being a reg. gun owner SHOULD… just about wrap things up!

Notice also, as per Ruby Ridge ref. clearly there's no design to use drones in a highly populated ( read Blue Metro ) area, so 50.1% of the pop. is already kewl w/ the whole idea? "Well, you know that crazy old TS livin' out there in the woods like that w/ all that ammo! You just knew sooner or later he'd blow hisself up!?" No more black Suburbans and ATF agents in body armor for Fox to air!

12. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2013 3:02 pm

No kidding. I can see the headlines now…."gas main explosion destroys remote house in the woods…news at 11".

13. backwoodsconsr on March 6th, 2013 3:27 pm

…useless for anything but reproduction.

14. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 3:29 pm

Actually that's an area known to have methane pockets and there have been incidences in the past. Forensic specialists and arson investigators concluded a deadly freon leak in their fridge, ironically, would have killed them anyway.

Tragic.

15. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2013 4:29 pm

Just saw that Rand Paul is going old school, filibustering Brennan nomination over wanting more information on drone strikes in the US.

From the article:

Mr. Holder also said, though, that he is not sure Congress could ban the president from using drones to kill Americans on U.S. soil, saying that would likely run afoul of the Constitution’s grant of powers to the president in Article II.

So I guess the 4th ammendment doesn't mean anything anymore.

16. SignPainterGuy on March 6th, 2013 4:40 pm

Watch out, Nelson, GA, you may find yourself in Obama`s drone crosshairs:

17. SignPainterGuy on March 6th, 2013 5:11 pm

A bit of verbal gymnastics, but Ted Cruz does finally get Holder to admit the UN-Constitutionality of using drone strikes against American citizens on US soil …….

It`s near the end, after the 4: mark: http://weaselzippers.us/2013/03/06/gop-sen-ted-cr

Frustrating, to say the least, that "imminent" threat plays such a heavy role in the discussion. If a person is known to be a threat "sometime", just not at that moment, but his exact location is known and a drone strike is a consideration, forget the drone and call in a take-down team of cops. Arrest the guy !!

I wish Ted had gone at it from a more "WHO" are the domestic threats ? Tea Party ? 2nd Amendment activists ?
    I want Holder nailed down !

18. SignPainterGuy on March 6th, 2013 5:37 pm

O/T; AGAIN, another Gorebull Warming conference to have been held in DC has had to be postponed due to snowstorm !

As the left is prone to insist, the right cannot use one specific extreme weather event as proof of the fallacy of AGW, that trends must be considered, then let me point out that there is a very recognizable trend occurring here; these conferences have been cancelled / postponed with alarming and quite frankly, hilarious frequency by deep freezes and snow storms. I would take that as a hint from above !

19. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2013 5:45 pm

Speaking of which, the storm has shut down the federal offices in DC; yet we are not hearing that fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!

And why is this….because the Federal workers are getting paid for the snow day.

20. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 5:46 pm

Let's see the uh… party of the first part wherein the party of the SECOND part..!?

I'll bet Eric would be great fun at cocktail parties when ( as drunks invariably DO ) he breaks into "Who's On First!?" and he kicks it Abbot & Costello old school! None finer…

Right, beating Americans to death w/ their OWN Constitution. Brilliant! And from the Left/troll-brigade, chirping.

21. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 5:48 pm

SPG,

I thought that was what "Swatting" was for? You know, Dial-a-Conservative, call 9-1-1, tell them the guy's gone off his rocker ( when he was watching the Braves game on TBS ) and when swarms of po-po show up and kick the door in?

22. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 6:19 pm

Tried calling the Nat'l Guard Assoc. and… looks like it's SNOW DAY!

Totally OT but… think I found another Bammie poison pill hidden in the tax code. In years past all the accumulative mileage I drove to my Guard base ( 500 mi. R/T ) was *fully* deductible on my income tax.

THIS year looks a 'little' different! In the example ( I had to look it up out of pure amazement? ) their scenario gives an Army Capt. that incurs over $1,500 of "un-reimbursed expenses" and he's allowed to take a whopping $110 off his Schedule A deduction..!

Are you freaking KIDDING me..? I'll verify and see if I can get the IRS or local on the phone but this is way WAY different than just LAST year. Team Obama found yet another way to stick it to the 'rich'.

23. Granny55 on March 6th, 2013 6:27 pm

Well after those comments let's just see how the Oblamer loving media runs with this one? Oblamer and Holder are going way over the line (not even close to what George Bush did) and they were screaming about Bush, blah, blah, blah. I think we will only hear crickets.

24. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2013 6:34 pm

Nah, the crickets have been sequestered to save money for dear leaders next golf game.

25. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2013 7:02 pm

Here's what I've learned so far:

In near identical scenarios, a Guard guy ( or gal ) in 2008 forking out $2,500 in un-reimbursed expenses ( out of pocket ) would net a Sched. A Deduction of exactly a GRAND.

Fast forward 2012, their scenario shows an outlay of approx. $1,500 ( for essentially the same customary, standard and REASONABLE expenses ) but net the Guard member a measly $110 in Sched. A deduction!

Does that look in any way 'proportional' to YOU? How long has this poison PILL been sitting there? Obviously this has been on the books for awhile ( I peeked at 2011 ) but it looks to me like they let it SLIDE until "after the election when he'll have more flexibility".

26. jeffythequick on March 6th, 2013 7:32 pm

…or the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 14th, or the ideas enshrined in the Declaration of Independence.

Those amendments supersede the original articles (I, II, III) by them being Amendments.

27. SignPainterGuy on March 6th, 2013 8:26 pm

"Incendiary device" ? What do you mean, matches ? Igniter for the gas grill ? Extended length lighter for the charcoal grill / fireplace ? Magnifying glass ?

"(>o)"; anyone on the domestic terrorist list, ie; Tea Partiers, 2nd Amendment activists, Constitutionalists, TPTB readers / commenters possessing more than zero guns is definitely is to be watched closely and suspiciously !

28. SignPainterGuy on March 6th, 2013 8:32 pm

Perfect time and placement for swatting fer shur ! The thing is though, righties tend to think of the ramifications of calling in a false report (swatting IS a false report), but to capture a known REAL domestic terrorist with minimal collateral damage, swatting could be good !

29. SignPainterGuy on March 6th, 2013 8:35 pm

Ooooh yeah, couldn`t have it publicized and risk damage to his election chances. NOW, it`s good to go !

SHUT UP and Eat Your Peas ! The Flexible Presiduncy is playing thru !

30. SignPainterGuy on March 6th, 2013 8:38 pm
  31. SignPainterGuy on March 6th, 2013 8:43 pm

Finally, extremist Patriot defined: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/06/do-you

32. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2013 8:56 pm

Well of course they had to wait or else the average joe might just notice it wasn't jus the "1% millionaires and billionaires" getting stuck with the bills.

33. Fernando on March 18th, 2013 3:05 am