gto

Uncle Joe called it GTO, which I think is Russian for “Let’s Move, Comrade!”

Russia’s President Vladimir Putin has called for the revival of the Soviet-era physical evaluation program that required all schoolchildren to pass fitness tests.

Putin, a judo enthusiast and a regular swimmer, said Wednesday that the restoration of GTO, the Russian acronym for Ready for Labor and Defense, would teach children to “to stand up for themselves, their family and, in the final run, the Fatherland.”

GTO, which was introduced in 1931 under Soviet dictator Josef Stalin’s rule, required all schoolchildren to regularly pass physical training tests. Those managing to qualify would receive silver- or gold-colored badges.

I can’t believe Michael Bloomberg and FLOTUS haven’t thought of that. Well, at least not as mandatoryyet.

Comments

21 Responses to “Vladimir Putin Wants to Revive Stalin-Era Physical Evaluation Program for Students”

1. Marshall_Will on March 13th, 2013 3:28 pm

Feeling, Mo' inspired?

Why not! Obama resurrected the WPA? Actually, I've no disdain for PT standards, except when they're mandated by the Central Government. Here's the Pres. Fit Test for those that want to post their results!

2. Truesoldier__ on March 13th, 2013 4:33 pm

At this rate I am waiting for Puting to challenge dear leader to a PT test.

3. Truesoldier__ on March 13th, 2013 4:40 pm

I never has a problem with the PT standards in the military. I always felt that it was a good way to gauge the physical readiness of the individual and the unit as a whole (remember you are only as good as your weakest link).

The only problem I had was when political correctness ran amuck and forced the "Top Males" list and "Top Females" list to be merged into one list making it look like the females (based soley on scores) were far more fit than the males. This was due to the gals having to do 25 push ups (or there abouts) to get a max score in that event whereas males had to do 82. Same went with the run. Males had around 12 minutes for the 2 miles to max out whereas it was around 15 minutes for females.

Not quite comparing apples to apples is it? Of course the standards should be different as males and females are bilogically made differntly; therefore the lists should have also remained seperate.

4. Marshall_Will on March 13th, 2013 4:42 pm

For all the MARBLES..! Lol

I was actually a little surprised I didn't score a little better on the Presidential Fitness Test? No doubt 'skewed' by all those ultra-fit marathoners huh? But it takes a fair bit to bump yourself into that next bracket, or DOWN as the case might be?

5. Truesoldier__ on March 13th, 2013 4:48 pm

So true. It has been awhile since I have taken a PT test. Last one I took was about 4 years ago on a whim. It was for a law enforcement exam. I had no intention of actually joining up, but I wanted to see if I still had it in me. There were plenty of 18-25 year olds and I held my own (at the age of 36), so I felt pretty darn good about it.

6. Marshall_Will on March 13th, 2013 5:22 pm

OH…! More statistical magic? Yeah I looked at the AF 18-30 Female chart and said; "Hey wait a minute, that's basically MY chart!?" ( Male 50-59 ) Though I've never seen the ever PC AF display a 'merged' chart? You guys have it way harder, whether running 6 or 7 min. miles, that's pretty good, regardless!

7. Marshall_Will on March 13th, 2013 5:28 pm

80% of our Base is in the 30-39 bracket and can't finish the 1.5 mile > 13:36. At that, you'd better crushing the rest of it.

What I recall from Washington Elementary School ( Wheaton, ILcirca 1965? ) was while there was no Standardized, gubmint 'test' we were def. graded. Looking back it mostly for participation but better athletes got better GRADES. Even then our gym 'teacher' was a total SLOB.

8. Truesoldier__ on March 13th, 2013 5:44 pm

The merged chart is more on the statistical level of evaluating unit readiness. They take the duty roster and input their raw PT scores (scores for each of the events) and the cumulitive point total on one single chart.

The main reason this was done was to make it appear on paper that women were just as or more so fit than the men in any given unit; therefore they are fit for combat units.

The Army APFT chart is still seperated Male and Female.

9. SignPainterGuy on March 13th, 2013 6:22 pm

"Badges !? We don`t need no stinking badges !"

On one hand it`s amazing FLOTUS hasn`t suggested the badges idea, but then on the other hand, there`s the "participatory awards" thing that presents everyone with the award so no one feels left out, slighted, inferior, like a loser, etc.

There is the cost issue, but when did cost really matter to the spend-other-peoples`-money dems ?

10. Marshall_Will on March 13th, 2013 6:29 pm

Ooops, all makes SENSE now. And not that I'm in a league to rumble w/ most of these young guys any more ( the bachelor party proved that ) but I see a whole lotta' shakin' goin' on.

This IS the Guard and I have to keep in mind, in the Obama-economy, many of these gals are working 2-3 PT jobs to make ends meet so there's not a lot of energy left for PT.

S. OR is still running around 20% U-6 Unemployment.

11. SignPainterGuy on March 13th, 2013 6:36 pm

The last time I ran was in the mid-`70s with my fresh out`a the Navy Dr BinL around the local airfield. He ran 3 times a week then so I decided to see if I "could" run 3 miles with him. It took me 27 mins, dodged one black snake and saw no incoming planes and one out-going. After the run, I felt like I could have done 2 more miles, but he wanted to go up for a few minutes in his Piper Cherokee. I allowed him to twist my arm. The rest of the evening my legs complained and threatened to fold on me.

12. Marshall_Will on March 13th, 2013 6:59 pm

Reminds me.., how's DOUG coming along on that mile he started back in HS? I know, right after he finishes this cigarette right?

You guys stay pretty active and all. Ladders, jumping thru HOOPS for clients! I worked briefly doing screen printing for golf bench advertising and it was pretty demanding physically.

I have so many friends that used to work in finance or had exec. jobs that now stack 2 by 4's at Home Depot. Most of them surprisingly PREFER it. Course they wish the $ were better BUT, we're all getting Obama-fit! Looking forward to harvesting my own corn and turnips, by HAND. Ah… back to the land eh?

13. Truesoldier__ on March 13th, 2013 7:11 pm

Of course those veggies you harvest on your own land will probably require you to have a license and pay a B&O tax on them. You know that is coming, just look at how many blue cities have tried banning gardens. You know the only reason they want to ban them is to give them time to figure out a way to tax or levy a fee on them.

14. Truesoldier__ on March 13th, 2013 7:14 pm

Money is not an issue, they will just get the rich to pay their fair share and everyone can have a trophy!

Now I am going to go take a shower, cause troll channeling always leaves me feeling dirty and violated!

15. SignPainterGuy on March 13th, 2013 7:23 pm

Dad did screen printing and I hated it. The cleanup was nasty and would take my breath; gas or lacquer thinner. Shew !! I didn`t mind the abdominal workout pulling the squeegees though.

Spent plenty of ladder time and post hole diggers and 20# tamping rod. 4'x8' plywood in 1/2" and 3/4" was common plus helping my shop-partner (part time job in trade for shop space) in shop and at race tracks could mean handling 300 to 1,200 m/c tires – balancing 100+ wheels a day kept my upper body in shape.

4-1/2 years on my butt has taken its toll; I get winded now mowing half my yard at a time.

16. SignPainterGuy on March 13th, 2013 7:39 pm

Don`t forget the mouth wash. Troll channeling always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

17. Truesoldier__ on March 13th, 2013 7:42 pm

I think this short clip about sums it up:

18. SignPainterGuy on March 13th, 2013 8:05 pm

Ha haaaa ! Count on Jim Carrey to take it over the top and the edge and th ……..

There was also a pretty good "wash off" scene in "Bachelor Party".

19. Truesoldier__ on March 13th, 2013 8:21 pm

LOL…I had forgot about that one.

20. Joesph on March 20th, 2013 9:33 pm

the recent discount codes from the protein works
    protein works deals

21. Phung on April 10th, 2013 2:58 pm

Superb site i'm intersted throughout starting triathlon myself i have to do a ironman or ironman 80. 3