Yesterday, President Obama met for a luncheon with Senate Republicans. On the menu: University of Maine lobster salad, Fox Family potato chips, and Wild Maine Blueberry pie.

Maine Senator Susan Collins was asked if Obama ate any of the food:

“He looked longingly at it,” Collins continued. “He honestly did look longingly at it, but apparently he has to have essentially a taster, and I pointed out to him that we were all tasters for him, that if the food had been poisoned all of us would have keeled over so, but he did look longingly at it and he remarked that we have far better food than the Democrats do, and I said that was because I was hosting.”

That sort of thing wouldn’t be unprecedented in the past few years, and I’ve heard of previous presidents having their food tested for precautionary reasons — but not at congressional functions.

In this case I suppose it’s possible the food taster was not there because he or she was the victim of sequester cuts, but that doesn’t seem unlikely.

And of course it’s possible that Collins was joking, but if you listen to the audio it sure doesn’t sound like it.

My guess is that Obama often does travel with a food taster — it’s just that the president’s “canary in the coal mine” isn’t aware of his function:

obamabiden

“So, uh, how’s your burger, Joe?

Comments

6 Responses to “Susan Collins: Obama Didn’t Eat at Lunch Meeting with Republicans Because His Food Taster Wasn’t Present”

1. Truesoldier__ on March 15th, 2013 5:36 pm

More likely dear leader didn't want to have to admit that Meanchelle was monitioring his every meal, so he did what came naturally….blamed it on someone else.

2. SignPainterGuy on March 15th, 2013 7:11 pm

Barry couldn`t expose that the tester AND the Gaffe-Master are one and the same !

What about the dinner he had with other Rs last week or so ? Didn`t he eat then, or was the tester / Gaffe-Master also absent for that one !?

3. Truesoldier__ on March 15th, 2013 7:50 pm

….from last week's dinner:

Dear leader: "Go on now eat up, it's on me, well actually the taxpayer but whose keeping score (RINO chuckles all around)."

McCain: "What your not eating anything?"

Dear leader: "Ah no, you see, I can't my, uh tester, yeah that's it, my tester isn't here right now. I'll have the cook keep soemthing warm for me." (little do they know all these diners are full of liberalaid and only a few more servings and they will make Pelosi and Reid look like ultra Conservatives).

McCain and Graham in unison: "MMMM this is sooooo finger licking good"

Dear leader winks.

4. jeffythequick on March 16th, 2013 3:27 am

I think that Dear Leader picked up the management style that calls for you to have people dumber than you as your subordinates.

I think that Plugs picked up the management style that calls for you to have your boss dumber than you.

It's neat how each of their counterparts competes to prove the other right.

5. SignPainterGuy on March 16th, 2013 12:35 pm

T`ain`t normal, is it ? At least not in the classical sense !

I`m hatin` on these new normals !

Btw, there was a story in the paper about Boeing nearing the end of testing on the 787. Good luck !

I watched a vid on "cross wind landings". Plumb crossed up, they were. Then one on a Dreamliner demo w/ a series of touch n gos. That thing is a missile; very short runs, steep climb outs, sharp banks and then landed "with" the wind. And only 2 engines and SO sleek !

6. uk bestessay on April 23rd, 2015 5:36 am

A well educated person is more likely to be a perfectionist and is more focused in pursuing the excellence not only for himself but also for those who are related to him.