There’s an increasingly disturbing “police state” trend in this country under the guise of “for the children,” and they’re not only targeting your Second Amendment rights, but your Fourth Amendment rights as well:

The ruddy-cheeked, camouflage-clad boy in the photo smiles out from behind a pair of glasses, proudly holding a gun his father gave him as a present for his upcoming 11th birthday.

The weapon in the photo, posted by his dad on Facebook, resembles a military-style assault rifle but, his father says, is actually just a .22-caliber copy. And that, the family believes, is why child welfare case workers and police officers visited the home in Carneys Point last Friday and asked to see his guns.

New Jersey’s Department of Children and Families declined to comment specifically on the case but says it often follows up on tips. The family and an attorney say father Shawn Moore’s Second Amendment rights to bear arms were threatened in a state that already has some of the nation’s strictest gun laws and is considering strengthening them after December’s schoolhouse massacre in Connecticut.

In this case, the family believes someone called New Jersey’s anonymous child abuse hotline.

Shawn Moore said he gave his son Josh the gun as a present to use on hunting trips. The elder Moore was at a friend’s house when his wife called, saying state child welfare investigators, along with four local police officers, were at the house, asking to inspect the family’s guns.

Moore said he called his lawyer Evan Nappen, who specializes in Second Amendment cases, and had him on speakerphone as he arrived at his house in Carneys Point, just across the Delaware River from Wilmington, Del.

“They said they wanted to see into my safe and see if my guns were registered,” Moore said. “I said no; in New Jersey, your guns don’t have to be registered with the state; it’s voluntary. I knew once I opened that safe, there was no going back.”

With the lawyer listening in on the phone, Moore said he asked the investigators and police officers whether they had a warrant to search his home. When they said no, he asked them to leave. One of the child welfare officials would not identify herself when Moore asked for her name, he said.

The agents and the police officers left, and nothing has happened since, he said.

Unfortunately not everybody either knows their rights or has a lawyer at their fingertips to remind them of those rights, and that’s all a developing police state needs to metastasize.

Comments

30 Responses to “Facebook Pic of Boy with Gun He Got for Birthday Prompts Police to Seek Warrantless Search of Home”

1. Granny55 on March 20th, 2013 6:19 pm

I saw the father and son on tv this morning. It is alarming to say the least. We need to constantly keep ourselves educated on what the government can and cannot do. This is getting scary!!!

2. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2013 7:25 pm

"along with four local police officers"

Drebin, Nordberg ( and what were the other two guy's names? )

The poor kid is freaking TRAUMATIZED fer' chrissake. But no, our government is not monitoring our activities via FlubBook nor are they being given privvy to search tips by tech titans that visit the WH regularly.

I'm sure this was just a [ family relative ] intimate enough to have access to their "Wall" but at the same time thoroughly disapproves of guns, gun ownership, freedom and children in general and the willingness to break up a family at the drop of a HAT. Happens every day…

3. SignPainterGuy on March 20th, 2013 7:30 pm

Concerned Aunt Edna ?

4. SignPainterGuy on March 20th, 2013 7:37 pm

Can you just imagine if the Dad had opened his gun safe and the SS agent had seen a scary looking gun in there ? She`d have filed paperwork to have the parent(s) charged with child abuse / endangerment and the guns would have been confiscated. Then there`d have been long, expensive, time consuming court cases to get the whole thing reversed and more aggravation to get his guns back.

The Dad did very well not to volunteer anything !

5. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2013 7:56 pm

Ever since Opie's mother died SOMEONE had to look out for the child!

Now run a long Floyd, I've got a pie in the oven…

Anyone has the vid of their interview by all means POST. Pardon me for doubting but I'm skeptical out of the ( HOW many FB users? and all the juicy bidness what's goin' on ) anyone randomly viewed, and promptly reported a child's b'day present out of the BLUE?

Even if it was in plain sight, to have that KIND of a LE response that quickly is phenomenal. Conservatives need their -own- sep. version of FB. Preferably one that isn't getting stock options tax exemptions from the WH.

6. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2013 7:59 pm

More than what sounded like "an attorney on retainers" he exhibited The.Presence.Of.Mind to not get flustered. Points for compoooooosure.

7. SignPainterGuy on March 20th, 2013 8:16 pm

Indeed ! I always make cold callers who ask for anyone by name to answer a slew of "Who are you. who do you represent, what do you want and what will be done with the info ?" questions before I ever acknowledge who I am, but I wonder if I`d have the compoooooosure to do it to a cop at the door. I`d like to think I`d ask for a warrant, but I would assume if one existed, the cop would say so and show it right away, IF he was there for a legit call !

8. Truesoldier__ on March 20th, 2013 8:33 pm

"along with four local police officers"

So your telling me that the PD has sooo many cops just sitting around they can send 4 of them out on what would be considered a health & welfare call? It also makes me wonder how many other calls went unanswered for real crimes while these 4 cops were indisposed.

9. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2013 8:34 pm

Appreciate the candor. I'm top notch when it comes to wresting control of the conversation via the phone, (4) *uniformed* officers at my door? I'd panic too.

Lord only knows what LINE of bs these guys were fed prior to responding. Most LE types want as much detail and intel as you can GIVE them prior to walking into a domestic/drug/Dewey Cox scenario?

And I'm sure hence, they've been instructed -not- to speak to the press, or strongly cautioned/de-briefed on what to say in regard their "show of force".

10. jeffythequick on March 20th, 2013 8:38 pm

Unless your life is in danger, or they have a warrant, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever let the police in your house.

A rule I learned by experience.

11. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2013 8:43 pm

Oh, well by all means SHARE.

Look, I'm no stranger "the cops"/shore patrol/angry wife. But that's when you're out on the TOWN ( last night in port ) blah blah. Not your HOUSE.

12. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2013 8:46 pm

Unless they were the cops from Superbad?

Rookies are eager to roll. Vets, not so much. Wouldn't you have been radioing for some form of corroboration the entire drive over? Did they get the flak jackets out of the trunk before they went to the door?

13. Truesoldier__ on March 20th, 2013 8:46 pm

Same here. The only thing that kept me out of jail while I was stationed in Korea was that one of my high school buddies was an MP there in Seoul.

14. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2013 9:01 pm

Korea + Jail… hmm, Not Fabulous!

Those guys don't play around. I was politely asked to turn -myself- in while stationed in the P.I. The whole town flooded and the power went out. We moved the women & children to higher ground while we stayed behind for looters etc.

Three (3) 5ths of rhum later and.., we're all out! I guess backing out I took the neighbors bumper off ( it was held on by bailing wire, no kidding ) and when they stormed out of the house I freaked and SPLIT.

Now I'm "motor boating" down flooded side streets and everyone's flipping me off for "cutting a wake" BUT, I remained undeterred and carried on w/ my all important booze run. Anyway, tomorrow always comes and uh… The local constabulary was pretty nice ( considering ) and said I just had to pay to get the car fixed. Oh, and sober UP. A few hours handcuffed to concrete bench w/ no water tends to smack the silly outta' ya'.

15. Marshall_Will on March 21st, 2013 12:53 pm

From Doug's PTB Twitter feed:

"One statistic reveals the need for better awareness: Over 90% of unborn babies discovered to have Down syndrome are aborted. It would be hard to find any other people group who is experiencing such a near-total extinction."

In support of that, Brent Bozell, HA, Life News ( the source of the above caption ) are sad to share that the Gosnell trial is getting scant to non-existent coverage from the LSM. Brent openly wonders "Whatever happened to "if it bleeds it LEADS"?

Race cards tend to drive LSM types into another round of self-loathing…

16. SignPainterGuy on March 21st, 2013 1:40 pm

Barry, the World Traveler- and Vacationer-in-Chief, isn`t getting enough coverage, so Nox & Friends is filling in the void: http://hardnoxandfriends.wordpress.com/2013/03/21

17. SignPainterGuy on March 21st, 2013 2:03 pm

I`m sure Andy wouldn`t want any bragging done or fuss made about it, but he and the Lovely Mrs Hefty intentionally, with clear thought and full awareness of the ramifications, and no doubt hearts too large for the average chest, chose to adopt an 8 week old girl with Downs Syndrome. He shared a photo of her on her 14th Birthday in a private forum. Her smile shows happiness and joy that comes from a family who love her and cannot be faked.

I mention this only to demonstrate that aborting babies with abnormalities cheats them and us of wonderful lives ! There are families who want children, even those with obvious difficulties !

18. Marshall_Will on March 21st, 2013 3:06 pm

Don't know if you caught it at MM's but Andy and I served at Cubi Point in the Philippines at -exactly- the same time! We were even at the same aircraft mishap on the very same day. How odd we'd cross paths again…

We knew people in common and I hung out w/ a lot of the Marines there but we just can't quite place one another? Doesn't seem to matter much, they were all great guys. God bless them and I think it was very counter-Hollywood for Liam Neeson to throw his weight behind a great cause.

If you know anything about Liam, he's never held HW in any particular regard?

19. SignPainterGuy on March 21st, 2013 3:41 pm

Heh, I have several "small world" stories.

"HW" ? Hot Water ? ?

I can`t really explain it, maybe that he was thrown out as a hero / tough guy actor or something, but I never cared for him. His acting is fine, there`s just something I can`t put my finger on. I know next to nothing about his personal creds.

20. Marshall_Will on March 21st, 2013 3:52 pm

He made a comment about "all the beautiful mosques" while filming in Turkey and suddenly he's converting to 'Islam'? Which honestly, I don't really have a problem with. For guys that openly reject Hollywood's social scene, I doubt he'd be entertaining it because it was trendy?

Here's a great interview in The Catholic Herald:

21. SignPainterGuy on March 21st, 2013 4:17 pm

I can`t argue with anything in his interview, but to consider converting to islam, even in jest, doesn`t speak highly of his intelligence, AFAIC.

What did you mean by "HW" ? Heavy Weight ? ?

22. Marshall_Will on March 21st, 2013 4:32 pm

Oh, Hollywood. Yeah when I read that I couldn't help but get a sense of disappointment but I doubt he'd be your Cat Stevens type, aiding and abetting.

Without making excuses, the guy lost his wife in a sudden and tragic way and has seemed kind of lost ever since? Speaking of celebs, Bill & Dennis had real fun at Steven Segal's expense and then moved onto the Devil/Obama figure in "The Bible"!

23. Joyanna Adams on March 21st, 2013 5:09 pm

Between Marshall Will & SignPainterGuy, I got my "everything you need to think about and more!" fix for the day!

Thanks!

And the police are getting rather disturbing….Here in my town, when I complained about my Muslim neighbors building boxes in their back yard at night, the Chief told me "If you don't like it, move."

My local police are training Iraq soldiers —RIGHT HERE in my neighborhood. Why they have to train them HERE is beyond me. They have "internationally Accredited" on their cop cars. And the best computers mounted on their dashboards..

There was a time, not so long ago, that the day dad bought his son a gun (usually around 11 or 12,) it was a real exciting right of passage for the kid. In fact, our ancestors at 5 or six, used to hunt squirrels (with yes, guns) for fun and practice, by themselves! (Oh NO!)

I'm glad the parents let everyone know what happened to them…

24. Marshall_Will on March 21st, 2013 6:49 pm

"internationally Accredited"

What the..? Wow, if you've got a link or even squeeze a quick snapshot next time that would send a major ripple. As I've said to Leftist trolls ever since Nov.,

"What WOULD it take to 'alarm' you!?"

Taxpayers have enough to DEAL with not to have the extra burden of:
    Flaky ( hyper-inflated ) college 'educations' = MAJOR student loan debt = hyper-inflated teacher's SALARIES = Higher taxes; to keep the whole sham rolling merrily along?

25. SignPainterGuy on March 21st, 2013 8:03 pm

You`re welcome, Joyanna ! I live to serve !

My little town has certain noise ordinances that begin at sunset or 9: pm, whichever is later and a little more restrictive on Sundays. It just makes sense to be considerate of your neighbors.

What sort of boxes ?

26. SignPainterGuy on March 21st, 2013 8:12 pm

Follow that money ! And speaking of which, I always wondered why dems are so opposed to any effort to end or lessen Death (inheritance) Taxes. I finally heard the other day. NC`s rate has been about 54% for estates over $1 M or so. Who in their right mind wants to / can afford to pay that amount to the gov. who doesn`t own it and shouldn`t have any right to it ? Don`t dems also stand to inherit homes, farms, bizs ? Yes, but as it has been, parents leave the estates to a trust that forms a foundation that often if not usually has left-leaning roots which gives to lib projects n stuff. No foundations, no grants. Aah, it all makes sense now !

Our new R Givner is apparently about to sign leg. to kill the inheritance tax in NC and the libs are squealing like stuck pigs ! Lovin` this new R control !

27. SignPainterGuy on March 21st, 2013 8:38 pm

Speaking of filming; on a drive down by the river yesterday I saw blue lights and an odd congommeration of stuff in the median crossover. I thought it was a wreck at first, but as I got closer, it turned out to be a gold `69ish Dodge / Plymouth Duster / Demon hot rod w/ period tag on a filming trailer, a white defusing screen, movie camera and crew behind a dually. As I slowly eased by, looking in wonder like a tree full-o-owls, a lady looked back smiling. Gee I wanted to stop and ask what movie they were filming and which star(s) were involved, but it seemed prudent to stay out of the way. Too much traffic to stop in the road to get pix, dang ! I did turn around for a second look ! Owls n all ! ;-)

28. Terry on March 21st, 2013 10:14 pm

SPG–Nasty Ned and I Thank You for the H/T .

29. SignPainterGuy on March 21st, 2013 10:25 pm

Surely ! Y`all come over here often; the snark is right in your wheel house !

30. best amsterdam coffee shops on April 20th, 2016 7:55 am

best amsterdam coffee shops

Facebook Pic of Boy with Gun He Got for Birthday Prompts Police to Seek Warrantless Search of Home : The Powers That Be