Any of you who I’ve had the pleasure of having as “regulars” here have probably noticed that I rarely talk about my personal life. I’ve always wanted the focus to be on the issues of the day and an occasional fun aside instead of things like what I had for breakfast or the fact that my oldest son (17 going on 18) just got accepted into the National Honors Society (quite the accomplishment for the son of a guy who barely graduated high school “Thank You Laude” as Bill Cosby used to say).

So here’s happening: For the past 20 years, my “day job” has been working in varying capacities at a network affiliated television station here in Michigan, mostly as a department head and for a couple of years in the mid-2000′s as a Station Manager. There is a mass consolidation taking place all across the broadcast industry — centralization is the “expense cutting du jour” and it’s happening where I work. Imagine the chuckle I got when — three days after the re-election of Barack Obama — I was told I was losing my job. I’ve been writing about that happening to others for so long I guess somebody decided I got a taste of it myself. I wasn’t very surprised because I know what’s been going on in the industry, and it’s been going in that direction since well before Obama’s election, but the timing was comically symbolic.

I was told back in November that I’d be finished at the station by the end of January (they’re being very generous with severance so they really got no complaints from me). All I had to so was help prepare things for “hubbing,” meaning my workload will increase as people are eliminated until it’s my time to go, when the centralized hub takes over. Well, the date has been delayed and delayed (as they slowly realize they made a huge mistake but have invested too much in centralization to turn around now), and at this point it’s looking like I’ll be done with my “day job” toward the end of April.

As I mentioned, my workload and hours are actually increasing until ultimately somebody else takes it all over. In essence I’ve been asked to dig my own grave and then stand in front of the hole and wait for the bang. This means my blogging time for the next few weeks will be decreased significantly. I already burn the candle at both ends quite a bit (between that job, blogging at Michelle’s and here) and there just won’t be enough hours in the day in April. So I’m happy to announce that Joyanna Adams has graciously accepted my offer to guest blog here in April. I first got to know Joyanna back when we both blogged at MensNewsDaily.com, and have always admired her unique and original approach to the subjects she writes about. I’ll still pop in from time to time.

Long term: Losing my main source of income for the last two decades with three kids to feed and send through school is — believe it or not — a good thing in my case. In the short term, after I’m finished there, I’ll have much more time to devote to writing and blogging, and I also have another career option more closely related to what I love doing, but nothing’s finalized yet — I’ll announce that only after it’s a done deal. Over the years I had a few job offers related to the field of writing and editing that I turned down because of the security of my “day job” (and in one case because I didn’t want to move my family to Washington, DC) but recently somebody made the decision for me — and I guess that job wasn’t so “secure” after all. Plus I spend five hours a week just driving to work and back home — half of a work-day per week wasted in a car. I’m looking forward to getting that time back and applying it elsewhere.

I’ll still keep this site going, though it may slow down just a bit, and I’ll be continuing to write at Michelle Malkin’s blog as long as she’s good enough to keep me around (I’m eternally grateful to Michelle and her husband Jesse for the opportunity). As I mentioned, in April all bets are off as to the amount of time I’ll be able to devote to blogging on any venue). Starting in May, the new adventure begins. Until then I’ll be tapering off just a bit, but I didn’t want anybody thinking I was giving up. Soon I’ll have more time than ever to devote to what I’ve grown to love doing, as well as to do it more in depth.

Thanks for listening, and thanks even more for the support and great comments over the months and years!

Comments

72 Responses to “Onward Definitely, Upward Perhaps, and Maybe a Little Bit Sideways…”

1. Al Arduengo on March 24th, 2013 2:38 pm

Doug,

I'm was laid off at 45 and was sure it was the end for me. For some reason the Almighty dropped the best job of my life in my lap two years later. Five minutes from home, more pay, more responsibility and better environment than anything prior.

I hope you continue to write somewhere where I can read it as I have been doing as long as I can remember. And I know without a doubt that whatever your next gig is, it will be the best one ever! Keep us posted!
    -Al

2. SignPainterGuy on March 24th, 2013 3:50 pm

Follow the LORD`s Leading and all will be well ! I like your attitude and congrats to your Son !

Joyanna does it like NOBODY else ! Or is it, NOBODY does it like Joyanna ? Oh shoot, now I`m confused !

Aaah, good and fun times ahead, no doubt !

3. SignPainterGuy on March 24th, 2013 3:54 pm

" (quite the accomplishment for the son of a guy who barely graduated high school “Thank You Laude” as Bill Cosby used to say)."

The late Louis Grizzard asked, "Laudey How Come ?"

4. Doug on March 24th, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks Al! I really appreciate it.

5. Doug on March 24th, 2013 4:07 pm

Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to it. How many people do you know are told they're going to be losing their job and try to talk the people upstairs into speeding up the process rather than delaying it? It's time.

6. @Dandapani on March 24th, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks for everything, Doug. I'm a long time reader both here and at MM's site. Good luck. One door closes, another opens!

I also follow Joyanna and know her work well. I'm the second half of her fan base over at her blog. LOL. Just teasin' Joyanna. Luv ya, babe!

7. @WaltsPrincesss on March 24th, 2013 4:49 pm

Good luck keeping up with your workload between now & April! I'll miss reading your wit & wisdom here. I hope everything works out with the new job offer. Best wishes!

8. backwoodsconsr on March 24th, 2013 5:38 pm

I heard it was Laude Have Mercy.

9. SignPainterGuy on March 24th, 2013 5:40 pm

So much is possible with the LAUDE ! ;-)

10. Granny55 on March 24th, 2013 6:41 pm

Doug – thanks for sharing what is going on in the home front. Even though you don't mention your personal life very often – we are family here and very much care about what is happening with you and your family. I hope and pray for where ever the Good Lord takes you. Please know you will never be a stranger in bloggerville. Look forward to you keeping us posted on where you will be at and hopefully and occasional and witty post about the current state of affairs in the USA.

Look forward to Joyanna too! Blog on!!!

11. SignPainterGuy on March 24th, 2013 7:01 pm

DITTO !

12. SignPainterGuy on March 24th, 2013 7:07 pm

BREAKING !!

It is being reported that a bodyguard has shot Syrian Pres. Assad. Conflicting reports however on whether he is alive or dead !

13. SignPainterGuy on March 24th, 2013 7:29 pm

I have been willing or even eager to leave jobs, but I don`t think I ever encouraged my employers to speed it up ! I warned my last part-time boss / Buddy of 42 years I`d leave if his Wife didn`t back off my back and he didn`t develop a less tinny ear. A year later when she had gotten worse and he had done nothing, I quit !

14. backwoodsconsr on March 24th, 2013 7:51 pm

There have been times when I had to choose between my job and my sanity. My current financial difficulties are partially a result of such a decision. I felt better about it all after reading Thomas Sowell's memoir and finding that he went through that several times in his life.

Making money is nice, but sometimes the price isn't worth it.

15. Marshall_Will on March 24th, 2013 9:03 pm

Each and every TIME I click on Joyanna's blog I immediately find myself wondering why I don't make the trip more often? Frequently she covers stories and angles you just aren't getting anywhere else! So far so good!

Blogs.., blogging.., it's EVER evolving. MM started Hot Air ( split/sold out of her interest etc? ) and… built MM.com. Then for whatever reason, she dove headlong into Twitchy, essentially allowing Doug to free up her time to get that up and running. She's been crowing about how all the naysayers were wrong and how her vision ( and timing ) were accurate! Hey good for her, stories an hour old have like 800 comments, so things keep evolving, turning.

Of all the Housing Bubble Blogs I co-ran/contributed, nearly ALL are dying on the vine. ( That tends to happen when your predict, doom, gloom, the end of the world as we know it and uh… turn out to be RIGHT!? ) We worked ourselves right out of a job! Wouldn't have had it any other way.

16. backwoodsconsr on March 24th, 2013 9:09 pm

Laud yes.

17. Marshall_Will on March 24th, 2013 9:12 pm

One of the things I've recently come to realize, between now and 2014 and CERTAINLY before 2016 rolls around, it seems almost essential for the Tea Party to develop more, personal, profiles!

From inception, almost immediately, the professional Left set about defining a stereotype ( lampooning and then, let the character assassinations BEGIN..? ) Straw of the finest quality..! It would be great to offer an internet video series of, various self-employed people, biz owners, FORMER biz owners? Members and supporters, admirers from all walks of life so when issues crop up ( under this administration that's days ending in Y ) we already HAVE a profile and fitting narrative from which to select, launch and watch ricochet around the blogosphere.

A Joe The Plumber, for all occasions!

18. Marshall_Will on March 24th, 2013 9:23 pm

Doug,

It was really funny, after roughly (2) decades as a financial planner, I finally got fed UP. Firms always had "Annual Employee Certifications" and if you had a DUI, delinquent bill, financial issues, or even did volunteer work or contributed over [$50] freaking dollars to a campaign, you had to DISCLOSE that..!

The questions are complex and entrapment as all get out, the final one was, ( is there anything ELSE you're not telling us? ) and then they went to semi-annual, then quarterly! We were really the test monkey for Al Armendariz, The Head Lopper. Since we were all making good money, we kept jumping thru the hoops. The more we jumped, the more hoops regulators set up!

Then broker/dealers began "getting ahead of the curve" and started an escalation of pre-emptive intrusive strikes! I was so… frightful to give really, the only industry I'd ever known? It really was scary.

But now that I'm DONE w/ them, every day feels like you're running around the house naked! Whew, what a RELIEF! We're at a different crossroads but Mrs. Will ( as I shared at MM's on the Medical Device Tax post ) is training 'Juanita', her inevitable replacement.

And as you noted, rather than making it feel like your senior year of high school, her employer is bringing the hammer DOWN. No personal emails, NO phone calls, it's like BOOT camp fer' chrissakes. Like you, her severance is, pretty nice so she has to play ball when she'd rather prefer tell them STUFF it. Whatever you do next will be right, and this is a direction you were more or less heading ANY way, right?

19. ChapBix on March 24th, 2013 9:30 pm

With even more time to devote to this site and MM's, your writing will rattle the left even more. Best wishes in your new endeavor, Doug!

20. Keauhou Joe on March 24th, 2013 10:54 pm

Doug as public school Elem. school for the past 3 decades. Want kids to succeed? VOUCHERS. Follow da money. Best job I ever had start a new career in June. I'll now have more time to read your writings. By the way gives me great joy. Bless you on your new endeavor.

21. SignPainterGuy on March 24th, 2013 11:03 pm

The post has been taken down at Drudge. No new updates at The Gateway Pundit !

Can`t find any mention at Fox News. or anywhere else !

22. jeffythequick on March 24th, 2013 11:54 pm

Doug,

May the Lord guide your footsteps, and give you the strength and courage when you have doubts, and know that He is there for you.

Thank you for all you do, and Joyanna, I still have plenty of smart-aleckness for your posts too!

Jeffy

23. Doug on March 25th, 2013 12:30 am

Correct… the direction I'm headed is one I've wanted to for years but was just unwilling to commit to because I thought I had a "secure" job.. .or as secure as they can get. Basically it was a relief because they made the decision for me. However, like you mentioned, they're now making the tasks too numerous to perform successfully.

24. Doug on March 25th, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks much! Soon there will be more time, and I've had some ideas for a long time that I just haven't had time to get into. Before too long hopefully I will.

25. Doug on March 25th, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks WP. I'll pop in from time to time in April. First two weeks of the month will be especially tough though when it comes finding time for blogging.

26. Doug on March 25th, 2013 12:34 am

Thanks so much Granny! And even though free time is scarce right now, I'll still find time to watch the MSU game(s) this week and maybe this coming weekend!

27. Doug on March 25th, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks Chap! Yes, more time for rattling cages is in the future.

28. Doug on March 25th, 2013 12:37 am

Much appreciated Joe! Good luck in your new job as well!

29. Doug on March 25th, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks Jeffy! Between my wife and three great kids, a daughter who sits on my shoulder from heaven (who is my closest connection the The Big Guy upstairs) and with the support of the rest of my family and all my friends here, I have no worries in the big picture. All will be well.

I also appreciate your input here at the blog and hope you can continue to contribute to the discussion in the future.

And I'm sure Joyanna will appreciate your smart-aleckness!

30. SignPainterGuy on March 25th, 2013 2:08 am

Some people get all the great middle names, right ?

31. backwoodsconsr on March 25th, 2013 10:37 am

BTW, the rest of the blame for my difficulties goes to Bush/global warming/ the sequester.

32. rosalee on March 25th, 2013 12:18 pm

Doug, your posts are informative, delightful, eye-opening, and most always funny. Thanks for being such a great soldier and true patriot. God bless you & yours!

33. Truesoldier__ on March 25th, 2013 12:30 pm

Doug, God speed on your next endeavor. Hopefully it turns out to be more fufilling than anything up to this point in your professional life.

Joyanna, Congrats and I look forward to seeing more of your posts as they are always enlightening.

34. Truesoldier__ on March 25th, 2013 12:31 pm

O/T…Here is just one more reason I am glad it is looking more and more likely that I am leaving WA ST (just waiting on one last signature to finalize the deal):

"Washington state weighs first-in-the-nation abortion insurance mandate"

35. Truesoldier__ on March 25th, 2013 12:42 pm

I agree, but the biggest problem you see with that is in some states (WA ST especially) you have political retribution. It is no secret here in WA ST that most businesses owners wont openly advocate for anything they believe in as they no that the liberal machine in Olympia will have reason to send out the health dept to your restaurant or so other state inspector of one type or another showing up on a 'fishing expedition' and of course they will leak something to the press as to what they believe is wrong with your business. You can't blame the business owners for not wanting to get involved as it is hard enough to conduct business in the current climate and this is just the cold hard reality of WA ST politics with no end to it in sight.

36. Dexter_Alarius on March 25th, 2013 12:57 pm

It sounds like you've got a plan, Doug. I hope everything works out for you and your family. I'll keep you in my prayers.

37. jeffythequick on March 25th, 2013 1:15 pm

'The' is a great middle name?

38. SignPainterGuy on March 25th, 2013 1:32 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of "Smart-Aleckness", but on reflection, that fits better as a last name …….

Now, consider that you ARE in great company; you`ve heard of Smokey "The" Bear, Popeye "The" Sailorman !?

39. Truesoldier__ on March 25th, 2013 2:03 pm

O/T…No money for WH tours, but plenty of money for dear leaders daughters to o to high end Bahama resort:

40. Marshall_Will on March 25th, 2013 2:06 pm

Possibly, we won't put anything past these guys and, we've actually SEEN this type of thing happen here before. You may recall Bill Sizemore and Bob Tiernan and all the cr@p they put up w/ here in Oregon.

But truthfully, I think we're past all that. We're already screwed and O'Drama Care has sealed many a biz's fate. Getting people to go on the record on ANYTHING can be difficult let alone voluntarily singling themselves out!

As is there's like 21 mil. people out there that don't have much left to lose?

41. SignPainterGuy on March 25th, 2013 2:14 pm

I`m so hoping that last person gets on with the signing ! Amazing you haven`t tunneled out with a soup spoon by now ! ;-)

42. Marshall_Will on March 25th, 2013 2:17 pm

Whatever it takes to sweep the newscycle and give off the impression the Prog-agenda is intact!

It's so ridiculous, shoving votes down Conservatives throats based on the ACA ( which may or likely will NOT survive intact ) over some vague concern at what insurers 'might' do ( which may or may NOT even be around? ) to offer via 'exchanges' we're hoping will be up and running to standard acceptable in Cambodia..?

It's all about 'firsts' with them isn't it? Try doing a swan dive off the Safeco Field scoreboard into a wet hanky! Nobody's done 'that' before?

43. SignPainterGuy on March 25th, 2013 2:20 pm

I just pulled $3,000,000.00 out of the air (the dems do that all the time, right ?) as an average cost of one of the Obama`s vacays / trips, $18,000.00 / week as the claimed cost of the tours and came up with 3.2 years of tours could be funded if they`d give up just ONE of their trips !

44. SignPainterGuy on March 25th, 2013 2:23 pm

Wait a minute; was that $18,000.00 actually PER MONTH ?

If so, then WH tours could be funded for 13.888 years !

45. Truesoldier__ on March 25th, 2013 2:42 pm

I just sent the idea of cutting off funding for dear leaders vacations and lavish parties and using it to start back up the WH tours and to avoid furloughing federal employees (you know like food inspectors, air traffic controllers, doctors at military hospitals, etc) that dear leader has been pushing for to ensure we feel the pain. I even told my rep what the GOP needs to do is pass it out of the House and when Reid refuses to bring it up for a vote they should go on the Sunday shows and talk about it no matter what the subject is. If the MSM brings up gay marraige the GOP ignores the question and talks about this idea (pull a play out of the Dem playbook for a change). If the American people hear about the idea I am sure they would love it and that would put dear leader and the Dem's in a tough spot.

46. SignPainterGuy on March 25th, 2013 3:02 pm

Now you`re talking !

Hmmm; I just Binged, "Cost of White House Tours" and got several answers:

$50. to $75. / visitor
    $10,571 / day for the 37 uniformed officers
    and this one,
    Tours subject to last minute cancellation

Why do I get the feeling that "$18,000.00" figure was rectum originated ?

Anyway, I did some more binging, got an average of 4,109 visitors / day at $50. each = $205,479.00 / day to cover Wh tours. THEY MORE THAN PAY FOR THEMSELVES, sequester or not ! The Presidunce is FOS !!!

47. Joyanna Adams on March 25th, 2013 4:01 pm

Well, when your comrade in arms gets wounded on the battlefield, the least we can do in come in and hold the fort till he gets back…right guys? Like most of you, I follow Doug at Michelle's, but I certainly don't want this wonderful blog to disappear, precisely because it has some of the finest minds in the country writing AND reading it. (that's just a nobody opinion…watch out, I have too many of them.)

So, here's my plan…with the help of you guys, we are going to keep this blog warm and ready for the Master of Power's return… so that when he gets all settled after April, he can come back and slip right back into the driver's seat again, and I can go back to my normal day of…wait…there Is no such thing..as a normal day, not with Joe Biden.

48. Joyanna Adams on March 25th, 2013 4:02 pm

God put Doug on this big planet to help us all make sense of it all, give us a good laugh, and to inspire us all to "NOT GO INTO BLOOMBERG'S GOOD NIGHT!" but to give them more reason to buy hollow point bullets…

Wait.. that's not right…

What I mean to say is that I am going to need EVERYBODY's help to keep this blog going until the Master returns…

And he will…have no fear…because I will be writing him and saying "WTF?" How DO you do it?

49. Marshall_Will on March 25th, 2013 5:00 pm

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Big shoes to fill but we know you're up to it and we'll do whatever is necessary to support. You may notice there are certain, bloggers, that seem to need constant direction and a fresh change of topics and others find every day/post is a fresh start.

MM took a few days off ( when you're self-employed that's usually as good as it gets? ) and some there are already complaining! Like they're paying for it? We don't have those issues here nor do we have cliques, insiders or endless feuds.

I see more HERE advancing the Conservative Movement as we're adhering more closely to the original intent of blogging, namely exchanging ideas ( than acting like a bunch of frustrated 'writers' trying to Out-conservative one another! BTDT during the Housing Bubble blogging days! Trust me, there's no winners.

50. Granny55 on March 25th, 2013 5:37 pm

I like open threads every once in a while so we can opine on what we have dug up during the day. Perhaps like Rush's Open Line Friday. Just a thought……

51. Granny55 on March 25th, 2013 5:38 pm

Oh and welcome Joyanna!!! Look forward to your insight!

52. Granny55 on March 25th, 2013 5:51 pm

Just saw on another site that Malia's trip to Mexico for spring break last year cost the taxpayers $115,500. So x 2 =$ 231,000 minimum. That would fund some White House tours.

And think about it…..these politicians go on these vacations and junkets all the time on the taxpayer dime….would they spend their OWN money to go to these places???? Hell no! Time to ground them – literally!!!

53. Marshall_Will on March 25th, 2013 6:39 pm

Granny,

So true. Even here in lowly Oregon we have city planners from all over the State ( going OUT of state ) on symposiums, motivational seminars and various tax payer-funded drunk-a-thons.

Firstly, we don't WANT all you clowns reading/feeding off the same Regressive SCRIPT? This is how Bloomingidiot became "America's Mayor" ( gawd help me I just puked in my mouth, a LOT )

Secondly, if you must, go on your OWN dime! Notice how we can have (200) towns with virtually -nothing- in common, couldn't be more geographically separated, different demographics and a hundred years *apart* in their incorporation.., BUT "they're ALL facing the same infrastructure challenges!"

Reeeally? No offense but doesn't this sound like the stereotypical [urban myth] of a bunch of women sitting around commiserating and coming up w/ a "group period"? Is this really what we want?

54. Truesoldier__ on March 25th, 2013 7:07 pm

And it can be done. That is one area of the sequestration that we are seeing wasteful spending cut. Here at the hospital all non-essential travel has been curtailed and all conferences have been cancelled. Prior to this you would always here about this doc or that doc going to some conference or symposium on some new study or what not. Of course every last conference or symposium just happened to be held in Scottsdale, AZ in the spring or Aspen, CO in the winter, so it was pretty obvious why the docs were actually going.

55. Marshall_Will on March 25th, 2013 8:02 pm

Lol, why, is there anything 'special' going on in Aspen?

The Oregonian ran a feature that started back in '09 about how in a decimated economy, various agencies were STILL partying up those travel budgets like the good times were rolling!

Some of these are like mini-GSA's. Any idea how many people work for these State lotteries? Just go on the Jobs.Gov website, it's staggering. And they all involve travel. My buddy works for the OR lottery. He describes his 'duties' as: "Working with tavern and restaurant owners to raise their level of awareness and retail potential for gaming".

Translation? ( He hangs out in a bar! ) He's a great guy and pulls a lot of people into our bands shows, so we're not complaining ( it's looking more FT all the time? ) But the truth is, the guy is a professional partier w/ a travel budget.

56. Truesoldier__ on March 25th, 2013 8:15 pm

Lol..That sounds about right. About 5 years ago, the department I work for (Uniform Business Office) changed the location of the annual conference that they used to have. They had a rotating schedule of Miami, Vegas, Scottsdale, Aspen and a few other places. The new head of the UBO out in D.C. saw this and realized very quickly that it was nothing but a party time on the taxpayer dime, so he changed the location of the conference to Falls Church, VA at an old military base complete with military style barracks for the conference attendees to stay at. It quickly changed from a fight over who got to go to the conference to a fight of who was forced to go to the conferene. They stopped having the conference all together 2 years ago as they realized they could do the same classes via the interwebs and no one would have to go to the middle of nowhere in Virginia to do it.

57. SignPainterGuy on March 25th, 2013 9:05 pm

Hey, I heard on radio news that a 787 was to test fly today ! Good luck !

58. SignPainterGuy on March 25th, 2013 10:17 pm

This seemed so fascinating, I had to share it with my friends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-f4gokRBs&fe

59. jeffythequick on March 25th, 2013 11:15 pm

Saw it landing today!

Looks like it was going down to say "hi" to MW and TS! http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE272/history

(788 is a 787-8, and hopefully, by this time next year, there will be a 789 for a 787-9!)

60. Pasadena Phil on March 25th, 2013 11:15 pm

In 1991, I lost the last accounting job I ever had during the great corporate "right sizing" of American companies. I wasn't sorry when I learned the news either. I had felt trapped in a career I despised and couldn't figure how to get out. Someone else decided that for me and forced me to join about 1/3 of middle management people in the unemployment lines. I never collected a single check but I thought about it.

Despite a brief (in retrospect) period of heroic unemployment, I came out of it recharged when I discovered I was in great demand by every wirehouse brokerage this side of Rigel Two. Having nothing to lose and spared the embarrassment of losing a job, I finally got on the right career path doing something that now doesn't even feel like work. The only thing I fear now is that our government will criminalize the independent side of the investment advisory business.

I have a feeling this will work out for you Doug. Irony is not dead. Not yet. At least it gives you an honorable way to get out of Detroit (Stay out of Chicago though… unless you are good at ballet).

61. CO2 Producer on March 25th, 2013 11:24 pm

Best of luck to you, Doug.

62. SignPainterGuy on March 26th, 2013 2:25 am

It`s proportions belie its true size and to see it fly like a much smaller plane on just 2 engines is amazing to me.

I hope the battery issues are behind you and y`all can move ahead with plans !

What is meant by the "-8 and -9" ?

63. Marshall_Will on March 26th, 2013 2:46 am

Phil,

The 'criminalizing' could make for an entire blog by ITSELF eh? That's kind of where I was; it just felt like there became so much scrutiny on each trade, you're so busy watching your rear you couldn't watch where you were going?

It still remains to be seen whether my bailing was the right decision, I just knew if this were to be the END of the independent side, I plain couldn't DEAL with it! Interesting perspective, the wholesalers still call me, and one introduced the possibility w/ as under-funded and perilous Soc. Sec. is, dumping millions more Americans into -utter- dependence wouldn't make a lot of SENSE?

In ways, it's the most sober observation I've heard regarding The Expropriation yet! Natch that doesn't jibe w/ conventional wisdom at MM's so I know you'll have the class not to attach my name to that statement over there, right?

64. jeffythequick on March 26th, 2013 11:24 am

787-8 is the current version that is out there, and the -9 is the 20 foot longer version coming soon!

65. Pasadena Phil on March 26th, 2013 1:53 pm

The worst part of bailing is giving up the licenses. I really wouldn't want to go through getting licensed all over again.

I don't know how independent you were when you bailed but other than the compliance end of it, I really work for myself and by myself. I still open good accounts on a regular basis but I am getting squeezed hard by costs. I am well positioned (at least I think I am) to adjust to whatever direction the government decides to push in and I believe it will be something on the order of the Comprehensive Fiduciary Responsibility Act where everything has to be fee-based. I don't worry about compliance because I do stocks and bonds, not products. So long as I keep delivering for my clients and they keep sending referrals to me, I in it for life or until they arrest me.

As to mentioning names, I speak for myself. The problem with most MM commentors is that they just can't decide whether they have any principles they believe in more than the GOP. I'll leave it to you to decide whether you want to fight or just get along. My real life is important. My "virtual" life is something else completely.

66. SignPainterGuy on March 26th, 2013 2:20 pm

Saved both links; TONS of interesting stuff – Eye Candy !

Boeing is Some Kind of interesting to work for !

67. Azygos on March 26th, 2013 2:58 pm

Prayers for you and your family.

68. ACD on March 27th, 2013 1:11 pm

Your website is on my list of daily reads. I've never commented on any political site before, but wanted to wish you good luck in whatever it is that you do going forward. Please keep up the great work!!!

69. scottyb on March 27th, 2013 4:45 pm

Hang in there, Doug! We love ya (in a completely heterosexual way… or not. whatevs.).

But we still love ya. ;)

70. Robert on March 28th, 2013 3:59 pm

{Merci pour ce billet. Il est vraiment bien complet sur le th?me "comuniqu? de presse".

71. maladroit on March 28th, 2013 5:56 pm

Hey Doug!
    I've followed you ever since we cruised around the waters on Martha's Vineyard on "Kennedy Watch" and will continue until one of us goes on to the real, non-Obama-induced Utopia.
    Good luck with the new endeavor. (I hope you're not going back to humorous greeting card one-liners!)
    And if there are any openings for writers where you're headed, please give me a shout. I'm at a conservative magazine now, but I weep when I tear open my pay envelope.
    Anyway, God bless you and your family and Godspeed, my friend!

KMac

72. Eogh an256 on June 17th, 2013 7:16 pm

You write very good reports, I like to watch, it made me learn a lot of things, really thank you very much, although the former, now looks very good.

Gelato Ice Cream Fridge