I honor Earth Day pretty much how I celebrate Earth Hour: By keeping my own little corner of the world as clean as I can while mocking those who are flying high above our homes in their private jets — possibly on the way to one of their 20,000 square foot vacation homes (I’m looking at you, “Mr. Climate”) — while looking down and lamenting how our cars, incandescent light bulbs and beef-rich diets for ruining the planet.

But I have to admit there’s an upside to the environmental moonbattery, for it gives us great moments like this:

And here’s our annual obligatory Earth Day video (language warning):

Bonus: The 13 worst predictions made on the very first Earth Day in 1970.

Comments

30 Responses to “The Annual Earth Day Tire Burning and Gas Powered Leaf Blower Throttle-Up”

1. TexasBarb on April 22nd, 2013 8:29 pm

One word, just one – PLASTIC
    Thanks for the chuckle :)

2. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2013 9:29 pm

Saturday was my day to mow and use up extra gasoline, so today I used ELECTRICITY to power my hedge clippers to trim the boxwood to a near-sphere and cut down the thorny bush next to my front steps. I`m tired of that thing gettin` me every time I mow, weed eat or shovel snow ! It`s pretty only in late fall when it produces little orange berries anyway !

HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT seems a far better cause for celebration than the idea of reverse technological advancement !

3. Pasadena Phil on April 22nd, 2013 9:41 pm

And to add to your collection, here is the original official theme song for Earth Day

Perfectly fine song that was covered by "The Carpenters" soon after but it tells you a lot about the child-like and naive mind set (aka drug-addled brains) of these people. This is a beautiful song for a feature film for children, not for serious-minded adults.

4. pmp certificate on April 23rd, 2013 12:48 am

This is nice idea. Indeed, we join this Earth hour activity.

5. Joyanna Adams on April 23rd, 2013 2:43 am

Oh…priceless! Thanks Mr. Powers!

That one lady who screamed —I think it should be pointed out that she is an environmental traitor: Clearly she had destroyed some poor plant and had been smoking a poor defenseless weed. A weed that never did HER any harm. A small weed, who without her screaming, would have lived to see another day in the sun….

Oh..How COULD she? Not to mention, how does she think all those plants and trees feel about hearing all that noise?

Where's the EPA when you need them? Hanging out at the U.N.?

6. rosa on April 23rd, 2013 9:31 am

The first video went from comedy to horror. Honestly, at first blush I thought it might have been a Monty Python production.

7. Truesoldier__ on April 23rd, 2013 1:23 pm

Sounds like the trees might have a valid OSHA complaint. I am sure that wailing has reached an unacceptable decible level for the trees workplace enviornment.

8. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2013 1:27 pm

LOVIN` that list of "13 Worst Predictions" Doug; I saved it.

Missing though is the prediction I remember from the early`70s that in 10 or 15 years there will be a 30' wall of ice at the Great Lakes "IF we don`t drastically change our ways of living" !

Let`s see, we quit putting lead in gasoline, cut down on CFCs and put scrubbers on smoke stacks; is THAT what was meant by "drastic changes" ? Seems to have worked, or maybe the "predictor" was full-of-it as a Christmas turkey !! I vote the latter !

9. Truesoldier__ on April 23rd, 2013 1:28 pm

Speaking of 4/20 did you see how much trash was left by these so called enviornmentalist in Golden Gate Park? It is estimated that it will cost around $10k to clean it up.

10. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2013 1:28 pm

:-)

11. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2013 1:29 pm

So glad to see you back !

12. Truesoldier__ on April 23rd, 2013 1:33 pm

O/T…but too funny. I hadn't heard this one before, but it appears some have started calling the amnesty group in the Senate, "the gang of Ocho".

13. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2013 1:41 pm

Yes, and none of that is surprising. Many of these "participants" also observe Earf Day; here`s a few examples of THEIR caring of the environment; http://hardnoxandfriends.wordpress.com/2013/04/21

Harnox tells of horsepacking into the back country of VA and finding "tree humpers" leaving campsites trashed, fires still burning / smoldering and in one case, they left a puppy tied to a tree. HE cleans up their messes, puts out their fires and rescued the puppy !

OH, I wonder if the Earf Day revelers bothered the "Hobbit door" ?

14. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2013 1:47 pm

Had to look it up; Spanish for 8; refers some times as men who carry guns (doesn`t fit w/ the Gang of 8) …….. ; serving only the finest cocktails (nope, that`n don`t work neither) …

15. Truesoldier__ on April 23rd, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks, been so busy getting everything ready for the move next month.

16. Truesoldier__ on April 23rd, 2013 2:11 pm

The probably tagged the door with ELF (Earth Liberation Front).

17. Truesoldier__ on April 23rd, 2013 2:13 pm

I thought it was a nice fit seeing that it is the spanish word for 8 and let's face it the illegals from south of the border sure benefit from these 8 Senators "vision". The only group that benefits more is the Dem party for their voter registration drive.

This bill is so benenficial for the Dems even the Politico has noted that if this bill passes it will cause a great shift in elections towards the Dems (which is no surprise to any of us here on this site).

18. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2013 2:54 pm

Heh, I was replying to Joyanna, but of course I`m glad you`re here, fine and proceeding with your new adventure ! ;-)

19. Granny55 on April 23rd, 2013 2:55 pm

Sometimes it is so good to not be in touch for a week or so, this is a good example! Missed you all while I was gone. My mother passed away on Sunday and I was up north with my siblings taking care of her for her next journey. RIP Mom.

20. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2013 3:05 pm

So sorry for your loss Granny ……

I`ll keep you in my prayers. You`ve had a tuff year and longer !

21. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2013 3:07 pm

The Rs are so stupid, allowing the Ds to tell them what they should be doing to increase their base of voters. It`s happening at the expense of their base !

22. Truesoldier__ on April 23rd, 2013 3:36 pm

It is stupid and then they wonder why they keep losing elections…/face palm.

Have you noticed that Rubio is still hitting the talk radio circuit in an attempt to "explain" to conservatives why we should get on board with ensuring we are the minority party for generations to come? Reminds me of dear leader still trying to talk up Obamacare.

I wonder how many of these R's that are willing to jump on the amnesty badwaggon will be in a state of utter shock when it comes time for their re-election and they are ousted by the newly minted dem voters?

23. Truesoldier__ on April 23rd, 2013 3:37 pm

Sorry to hear for your loss Granny.

24. Doug on April 23rd, 2013 3:47 pm

That's perfect!

25. Doug on April 23rd, 2013 3:48 pm

Sorry to hear that Granny.

26. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2013 5:09 pm

"But, but, we did what we thought we were supposed to do !?"

27. Granny55 on April 24th, 2013 11:10 am

It has been a really rough year. But the Good Lord has blessed me in many ways too. My daughter and grandson flew in from Texas and my other daughter brought my newest grandson up so my mom was in her glory with little ones running around and babies crying. It was priceless to see the look on my mom's face. Good memories. But now she is with my dad once again and I am at peace knowing she is in a better place.

28. Ozella on May 1st, 2013 5:21 am

Jointly whilst doing utilization of help of these pleasant intercourse motion picture sport titles for husbands and wives, you may totally locate a means to revive the fires of lust and actually like within just your very unique personalized existence. You might be capable to also enlarge your perspectives when it involves imaginativeness and creativeness. Seriously a handful of organizations inside of the world offer you in these kinds of a segment.

29. Farms Market on May 8th, 2013 9:22 am

Wouldnt it be funny if a tree fell over? and just smashed everyone of them dead.. (ya O&A made the joke first)

30. camping on October 15th, 2015 6:46 am

camping

The Annual Earth Day Tire Burning and Gas Powered Leaf Blower Throttle-Up : The Powers That Be