The Scouts should have instead offered a badge for bullshit spotting, but it wasn’t to be.

Via Weasel Zippers:

boyscouts

The “green” badge will be personally awarded by Al Gore to any Scout who can figure out how to start a fire using nothing but two sticks and a Fisker Karma.

Comments

18 Responses to “Of Course: Boy Scouts to Offer Merit Badge for Global Warming”

1. Truesoldier__ on May 2nd, 2013 5:26 pm

Scouting sure isn't what it used to be. How long will it be till the pine wood derby is replaced with a recyled material derby?

2. SignPainterGuy on May 2nd, 2013 7:48 pm

On one hand, Scouting should be only about realistic studies and projects, preparing boys for life`s real issues, but then again, they will have to deal with this bs at every turn. They may as well "Be Prepared" for it. I just object vehemently to it being taught as anything resembling the truth.

3. Truesoldier__ on May 2nd, 2013 7:51 pm

Good point. IF it were being taught using facts and not feelings then I could see it as valuable.

4. SignPainterGuy on May 2nd, 2013 8:00 pm

Next think they`ll insist on removing GOD from Scouting to make room for gays` feelings !

I wonder if the merit badge requirements include learning how to worship trees and crying when one dies or is cut down ?

5. SignPainterGuy on May 2nd, 2013 8:03 pm

"Sustainability" merit badge; that sounds like Agenda 21 Bull Excrement !!

6. The Watcher on May 3rd, 2013 12:29 am

They also offer the badge to kids who can start a fire with nothing more than a Chevy Volt.

(bangs his head repeatedly against the desk)

7. thereaganiterepublican on May 3rd, 2013 3:34 am

And it's 'Eagle Required', lovely

Makes me feel better about only making it to 'Life' Scout

8. swede on May 3rd, 2013 5:50 am

Aye, and soon enough the gay scout leaders will have the lads competing in the flower arrangement derby and pursuing the quilting merrit badge.

"On my honor, I will do my best
    To do my duty to Gore and my climate and to obey the Kyoto accord;
    To limit my carbon footprint at all times"

9. rosa on May 3rd, 2013 8:04 am

Another once-traditional institution hi-jacked by politcal correctness.

10. SignPainterGuy on May 3rd, 2013 3:07 pm

Do consider that the Volt has a tendency to catch fire only after crashes. The Karma suffered two fires in embarrassing public venues after normal use during demonstrations.

11. Dexter_Alarius on May 3rd, 2013 5:29 pm

Okay, let's not read too much into this. If I teach this merit badge, it will be like this:

Climate change is cyclical, caused by a variety of factors, the largest by far being variability in radiance from the Sun.

99% of all species that have ever lived are extinct. We will be too, some day.

America is a resource rich nation. Those resources should be exploited responsibly.

Green chemistry is where hi-liters and tennis ball fuzz come from.

Recycling is a smart way to save money, and preserve resources.

The laws of thermodynamics says there's no such thing as zero-waste manufacturing. But, manufacturing can be designed to minimize waste, or use byproducts for other purposes.

Now, let me see you tie a sheep-shank, lash a tripod, and build a fire using flint and steel.

12. SignPainterGuy on May 3rd, 2013 6:50 pm

Wow, Dex, you really were a Boy Sprout ! You know about a "sheep-shank" knot ! I never met a non-scout who did. Yes, btw, I can tie one and I know what it`s designed to accomplish !

I admire your teaching plan; simple and straight forward with a high degree of honesty !

I think it is in the realm of thermodynamics too, that CO2 does NOT "cause" warming, but instead is a "result" of a global warming-event and historically, occurs about 500 years later. Fascinating !

13. klem on May 5th, 2013 5:35 pm

Wow, pretty soon they'll have an abortion merit badge. Can't wait for that one.

14. PMF on June 17th, 2013 1:40 pm

Wasn't Obama planning on turning the scouts into mini soldiers so he could have them turn on there own people when the time comes..I wonder what the badges will be for that. Arrest your own family badge.

15. EPDM on August 1st, 2013 7:22 am

Merit badges are awards earned by youth members of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), based on activities within an area of study by completing a list of periodically updated requirements. The purpose of the merit badge program is to allow Scouts to examine subjects to determine if they would like to further pursue them as a career or vocation.

16. essay services on September 27th, 2014 12:14 pm

It is great if some new merit badge is coming. it is great for the scouts and motivate them to choose their career. We should also need to help the scouts to be the best in their services. The reason is they are so great people and have the best to deliver and if we give them a chance they can make it perfect for us and for their better future.

17. milenabraham on September 5th, 2015 3:47 am

Great! Thanks for sharing the information. That is very helpful for increasing my knowledge in this field. Regards from
    coursework writing services

18. essay on October 5th, 2015 3:17 am

Thanks for this valuable info. It's really informative and useful. Visit writing essay service