Here’s how I think it all went down: The spider jumped up on the table and criticized President Obama’s response to Hurricane Sandy, causing Governor Christie to take offense and smash the partisan arachnid for blasphemy:

Cue PETA:

But PETA wishes the Governor had taken a minute to think about the spider’s value.

“Some people put the spider outside, but spiders are often scary to people, and that can prevent them from pondering their worth,” Newkirk added.

As TPM noted, President Obama found himself in a similar situation in 2009, when he swatted at a fly during a TV interview.

“He isn’t the Buddha, he’s a human being, and human beings have a long way to go before they think before they act,” PETA responded at the time.

Yeah, why are Christie and Obama heartlessly treating innocent spiders and flies as if they were dogs and cats dropped off at PETA shelters?

Comments

9 Responses to “Chris Christie Kills Spider, PETA Issues Strongly Worded Letter”

1. The Watcher on May 4th, 2013 5:58 pm

Makes me wonder if PETA offices have pest control.

2. SignPainterGuy on May 4th, 2013 6:32 pm

If they do, then the effort has failed; the offices are still open, occupied and in biz !

3. SignPainterGuy on May 4th, 2013 6:50 pm

Flies are pests and carry disease and germs n yuck, so they tend to die around me. Ants live a hard life in my home and shop too. Spidies, they`re different in that they catch other pests, so if they`re in their webs and "working", I try to leave them alone. However, if they are the dangerous species and get on me, smushed. I can`t count the times I`ve walked thru my basement or shop and then turned around, retraced my path only to walk into a spidie hanging from the ceiling. That critter MEANT to get on me. Kilt it dade !

We`ve heard that GOD made the honey bee, the devil made the wasp. That`s easy enough to go along with. One bright sunny morning I saw a wasp fly into a spider web. I felt delighted as the spider ran out, bound the wasps legs and then went in for the kill. The wasp took a bite or two and then turned, grabbed the spider with its legs and stung it 3 times. Then it carried the spider off and around the house. I was in near shock, surprise that the wasp had done it all on purpose, hunting. Then I remembered that wasps raise their young on spiders. I hate wasps a little less since then.

I have heard that in a grassy pasture, there can be a million spiders. It hardly seems Christies` actions hurt their population much !

4. Pasadena Phil on May 4th, 2013 9:33 pm

PETA, think of spiders as human fetuses. And while you're at it, I killed a BABY spider not two hours ago. And I enjoyed every moment.

5. backwoodsconsr on May 4th, 2013 11:53 pm

I wonder if they only employ vegetarians.

6. SignPainterGuy on May 5th, 2013 12:17 am

Yeah, I would imagine so. It`s probably one of the first things on the job app.

7. SignPainterGuy on May 5th, 2013 12:38 am

Check out the photo of Mercury at the Bing home page !

8. swede on May 5th, 2013 3:42 am

At the village markets in western Uganda there are tables with bugs for sale. Most families rarely get real meat, and nuts don't have the amino acids the thry need – so bugs are their best source of protein. There's a pile of termites here, ya got some some roaches over there, some ants and of course your spiders.

As I recall a small basket of spiders would run you about 50 Ugandan Shillings. At the time the forex was about 1800 Shillings/$1 so I ponder a single spider's worth at about $.00067 – plus tip. Bon appétit.

I for one am very pleased there are PETA types about. It's reassuring to know there are folks even more bat sh!t crazy than meself.

9. SignPainterGuy on May 5th, 2013 2:56 pm

I`m a bit curious about the spider`s poison / venom. I`ve been stung by several wasps of the same species and each sting hurts differently. Is it possible that the wasp venom / poison strength relative to the spider the wasp was raised on ?

I have to wonder if eating spiders is really safe, or does the poison give an exhilarating numbing effect, er sumpim, like the puffer fish the Japanese like to toy with ?