Today is my final day working at my job of 20 years… and five months, but who’s counting? (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, click here)

I plan to take somewhere in the neighborhood of a week off to get some rest after burning the candle at both ends for so long, though I’ll still be blogging on a fairly regular basis at Michelle’s and a little here during “vacation” time (I’m not traveling anywhere… I’ll just be wandering around the house for a few days in a silk bathrobe and smoking a pipe like Hef).

After that I have some things brewing that I’ll announce soon enough but can’t yet. Until then I’ll have much more time to focus on blogging, and I’m looking forward to saving some serious money on gas (I drive over 300 miles a week going to and from the TV station).

Soon I’m meeting some friends for a farewell drink, and I doubt the word “drink” will stay in the singular for long but we’ll see.

I’ll be back here tomorrow, and feel free to discuss whatever’s in the news. If I get a chance I’m going to try and get to this as soon as possible.

Have a great Friday, all! As always, thanks for reading and keeping the place lively.

Comments

36 Responses to “Countdown to the Next Chapter”

1. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 3:04 pm

Enjoy the week Doug, you have more than earned it.

2. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2013 3:09 pm

Well congratulations Hef, Enjoy your send off, drink responsibly and remember to make sure the Better Half recognizes you appreciate her being your #1 Bunny ! :-)

Dang those pesky Republicans ! They "forced" the Obama admin. to create and change the talking points ! I thought Barry and Shrillary were the smartest man and woman on the planet !? How could stupid republicans trick or force them into anything ?!

3. jeffythequick on May 10th, 2013 3:10 pm

Here's how the explanation will go:

1. It was the yootoob video.
    2. It's the yootoob video. (ed: tense change, need to make it in the present.)
    3. Libyan Quakers used a yootoob video to stage a demonstration, and it got slightly out of hand. (ed: Need more color to the commentary)
    4. Libyan peace activists used a yootoob video to stage a demonstration, and it got slightly out of hand, like a college party after the team loses. (ed: No Quakers in Libya, and we need to bring it home)
    5. Libyan peace activists used a yootoob video to stage a demonstration, and it got slightly out of hand, like the Tea Party after the Romney lost. (ed: This is starting to look good! A two-fer!)
    6. Libyan citizens thought there was a Tea Party yootube video producer in the building, and they were exercising their free speech rights, and it got out of hand. (ed: This is a good draft… needs something more)
    7. Everyone in the world hates the Tea Party. These Libyan peace activists were voicing discontent at the Tea Party setting up in Libya, and they saw a yootoob video through the window and were set off! (ed: Getting there!)
    8. Use #7 as a basis, and ad lib, making sure you say these words: "Tea Party", "Racist", "Peaceful", "yootoob" (ed: do we really want to do this?)
    9. That's old news. What we really need to talk about is how Obama is preparing to set up a commission on selection of possible Jobs Council Czars, one for each industry in the USA! (ed: Even I don't buy that one)
    10. What does it matter? (ed: Too early for this one. Save it for later.)
    11. It was the Yootoob video. (ed: You guys have spell check, or did O add "yootoob" to your dictionary as a joke?)
    12. It was the YouTube video. (ed: Run with it!)

4. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2013 3:15 pm

Live in Oregon, it`s Friday Afternoon !!

Hmmm, lacks the punch of the original, but you could write for SNL or start your own ! Good stuff !

5. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm waiting for dear leader to start saying that if it wasn't for the obstructionist in the House worrying about something that happened a long time ago we could get this economy jump started and get unemployment down to 3%.

6. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 3:20 pm

You forgot one. The Libyan peaceknicks were protesting the campaign of Ted Cruz and it got out of hand.

7. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2013 3:25 pm

Give it time, it could happen ! They`re already saying that ObamaScare will lower the deficit / balance the budget / refreeze the world`s glaciers and bring lions and sheep together in peace !

Yeah, I made up one of those !

8. Dexter_Alarius on May 10th, 2013 3:35 pm

If you do things right, you'll need that week to recover from the 'drink' with your friends.
    Have fun, Doug!

9. writedoug on May 10th, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks! I'll try and do just that.

10. writedoug on May 10th, 2013 3:47 pm

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of. I'll pick up some bunny ears on the way home.

11. writedoug on May 10th, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks Dexter!

Here's where I have to tread lightly… I'm going for drinks with friends here in about ten minutes, and tonight some other friends are going with us for a dinner to celebrate. Can I stay awake through dinner? We'll know soon.

12. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 3:50 pm

Redbull and Vodka perhaps?

13. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 3:57 pm

Not sure if you all saw this, but I plan on calling my Rep and asking her to throw her support behind it:

Here is the list of the Co-Sponsors so far for a select committee: http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/hous

14. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 4:33 pm

And now the WH is meeting privately with the press to discuss Benghazi…in otherwords the spin and cover continue…

And some reporters that were not invited are pretty darn ticked (to include one who says it is a big mistake not to invite her).

15. jeffythequick on May 10th, 2013 5:40 pm

That was one of the inspirations for #8!

16. jeffythequick on May 10th, 2013 5:41 pm

Live in Oregon Washington, it`s Friday Afternoon !!
    ;)

17. Granny55 on May 10th, 2013 6:16 pm

Perhaps that is the reason for the "Off The Record" press briefing being held today – ya think??? It will be interesting to see what "reporters" were included and which ones were not……

18. Granny55 on May 10th, 2013 6:19 pm

I really hope this is a big wake up call for the WH press corpse. Think they will figure out they were being used?????

19. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 6:34 pm

Here is a great article posted over at Blcakfive milblog:

20. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 6:41 pm

And in other terrorist related news….the BMB terrorists have now be linkend (via DNA) to a triple homicide Sept 11th, 2011.

21. Pasadena Phil on May 10th, 2013 7:46 pm

"I’ll just be wandering around the house for a few days in a silk bathrobe and smoking a pipe like Hef). "

That's the beauty of living in a major vacation destination like Detroit. You don't have to go far to enjoy your time off!

22. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2013 9:58 pm

Ppffffft, from here it all looks like one big place to me ! (rolls eyes)

23. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2013 10:25 pm

I had not, but I`m glad to see it now; was hoping to see a select cmte formed to get real answers under oath with immunity from WH pressure. Also glad to see my rep., Mark Meadows` name on the cosponsors list. Now to threaten to hog-tie and horse whip Weepy Bonehead and Can`t-or-Won`t if they fail to act positively on it !

24. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2013 10:39 pm

Will Chrissy of the Tingles persuasion still insist the attacks were a result of that poorly made and relatively unseen video ? I had to laugh when I saw that a month after the WH dropped the vid angle, Tingles was still haranguing people on his show who didn`t go along with the vid-blame thing. What a piece-o-work !

25. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2013 10:43 pm

And the cotton tail; can`t forget the cotton tail !! ;-)

26. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2013 10:49 pm

Do you remember Fizzies soft drink tablets from back in the early `60s ? They were colored for different flavors and came in a cylindrical bottle just like Alka Seltzer; tasted kinda like it too, but weak. TERRIBLE !! I hated it !

Anyway, at a m/c race the Red Bull sponsored racer came by our truck and gave everybody a free Red Bull. Later he came back by with 4-packs for everyone who liked it. I took a pack and then gave them away after he left. It tasted exactly like Fizzies. Ick-er-runyans !!

27. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 11:51 pm

From what Rep Wolfe is saying is that he is pushing that if Weepy doesn't do it, he will get all the co-sponsors to vote for no confidence in Weepy to try to get him to step down or at a minimum let him no he ain't going to be speaker next time.

28. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2013 11:52 pm

A little before my time, but I do remember hearing about them. Personally I think Red Bull tastes like really bad cough syrup.

29. ChapBix on May 10th, 2013 11:53 pm

Enjoy the new path that is open to you. Looking forward to more outstanding articles on your blog.

At the end of this month I will leave the position I have had for twenty two years. I do not know what I will do for employment other than hoping to scale it back some and shed the stress (three major areas of responsibility). Most likely, I will move into something different. I am certain God has the plan and knows and sees the big picture.

30. SignPainterGuy on May 11th, 2013 12:09 am

Seriously ? Kewel !

31. SignPainterGuy on May 11th, 2013 12:11 am

"Carbonated" really bad cough syrup !

32. SignPainterGuy on May 11th, 2013 12:20 am

I wish you luck and GOD`s Blessings in your new beginnings and I will keep you in my prayers !

33. SignPainterGuy on May 11th, 2013 1:34 pm

Unconscionable !

34. ChapBix on May 12th, 2013 8:41 pm

I really appreciate that, SPG. Thanks!

35. Arlene on May 14th, 2013 6:55 pm

Well that is interesting. Good luck. God is good. Enjoy your week off.
    I have been reading your post here for a few years. I added you today on twitter. I always read your posts, so thought I wouldn't need to put you on my twitter feed but I guess I had better since you will be here and there. Really like your posts. thanks. Wow you really drove that much huh? Arlene

36. hopy on March 31st, 2014 7:18 am

thanks for your sharing, I'm also writing for your own blog.