In 2008, candidate Obama made numerous promises that if elected president he would immediately close the prison at Guantanamo Bay:

Today, some five years later, Obama’s going to call (again) for steps that could culminate in the shuttering of the prison. Problem is, those steps involve sending some of the suspects back to one of the world’s foremost terrorism incubators:

President Obama will announce Thursday that the White House plans to lift the ban on sending detainees from Guantanamo Bay to Yemen, Fox News confirms, a move that could effectively resume efforts to close down the prison.

That effort, however, has been stymied because many countries don’t want the detainees or are unwilling or unable to guarantee that once transferred, detainees who may continue to be a threat will not be released.

There are currently about 166 prisoners at Guantanamo, and 86 have been approved for transfer as long as security restrictions are met.

Sending terror suspects to Yemen as long as security restrictions are met is like sending Michael Moore to McDonalds to lose weight as long as everybody promises not to let him near any food.

Flashback to March of last year:

(Reuters) – The proportion of militants released from detention at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay who subsequently were believed to have returned to the battlefield rose slightly over the last year, according to official figures released on Monday.

In a summary report, the office of the Director of National Intelligence said that 27.9 percent of the 599 former detainees released from Guantanamo were either confirmed or suspected of later engaging in militant activity.

The alternate title to this post could also be “Obama proposes speeding up Yemen/Gitmo revolving door.”

Last but not least, a new strategy to combat terrorism:

Comments

11 Responses to “Obama: No, Really, We’re Going to Start Closing Down Gitmo Pretty Soon”

1. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2013 6:26 pm

I wonder if pResident Gutsy Call will focus like a laser of the Club Gitmo closing like he has focused like a laser on job creation ? Hasn`t he made that promise at every State of the Onion speech ?

2. backwoodsconsr on May 23rd, 2013 6:56 pm

The state of the economy is like an onion. It stinks and it bring tears to my eyes.

3. Granny55 on May 23rd, 2013 8:36 pm

Finally got a new laptop and able to converse from home with my PTB buddies. Yeah!!!

4. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2013 8:45 pm

Hallelujah !!

Is it Windows 8 ?

5. Granny55 on May 24th, 2013 11:11 am

No Windows 7 and I hate it!!! I'm an XP kinda gal.

6. SignPainterGuy on May 24th, 2013 11:57 am

INCONCEIVABLE ! !

Have you played wit Win. 7 before or is it new to you ? If it`s new, I predict you`ll get used to it and learn to like it ! A friend of mine has XP and it seems slow and out-dated even for this `puter dummy !

I played around on my shop partner`s `puter w/ Win. `98 so when I bout this laptop in `09 w/ Vista, it was a real change. I liked it better, but the minute Win. 7 hit the stores, I bought the upgrade and installed it myself. I haven`t looked back. Now I`m not looking forward to Win. 8.

7. jeffythequick on May 24th, 2013 1:49 pm

My Windows 8 experience (I'm a Technet subscriber, so I can look at all the new/old/cool stuff when it comes out) was like when I got a Mac:

It's different, and not having a "here's how to do crazy stuff like turn off your computer" lessons made me have a bad "out of box" experience.

I think, for touch screens, it will be good, but how many servers do you know have touch screens? (most of the time, it's remoting in…)

There is good news on the horizon: Microsoft is coming out with Windows 8 Blue, and that will look a lot like Win 7/Vista/XP.

Granny, the change from XP->7 is evolutionary, but from 7->8 is more revolutionary.

8. SignPainterGuy on May 24th, 2013 2:40 pm

Good insight !

If you like and are used to touch screens like iPads, Win.8 should be no problem and maybe even a natural progression, though I`ve read that many people think it sucks !

I`ve long been curious about Apple computers and how they are different from Windows / MS pcs, but have never been around anyone who could explain it to me, in Readers` Digest form. ;-)

My Nephew and his Wife have iPads and they appear to be easy enough, but they aren`t Macs; they ARE different !

My only experience w/ Apple is iTunes and iPods. In `09 I bought an Apple 8GB iPod and it locked horns with my MS OS, so I called support and of course got an Indian lady who I could barely understand and who admitted right off she couldn`t help me. She gave me a number for "someone she knew COULD help". WELL, the first thing out of his mouth was "How did you get this number. I`ll bet an Indian woman said she couldn`t help and gave it to you !" He then proceeded to denigrate me, my ancestry, intelligence and education. AND, he didn`t help me at all ! So I packed the iPod up and returned it to Best Buy and exchanged it for a Microsoft 8GB Zune which installed the download and worked great until I filled it up w/ music. (Let me say here, the issue w/ the iPod probably was the virus that struck lots of people in the summer of `09. After the fix, the Apple OS likely would have worked fine, but the techie had already ruined me on Apple) Last winter Apple released the new 160GB iPod, so I snatched one up on sale. It`s great, but iTunes made a real mess. I had it set to Artist (so I could watch upload / download / transfer progress) when uploading and transferring my music and some new stuff. It caused iTunes, Zune and Windows Media Player to break ALL my music (about 120 albums) down by artist, duplicated albums and caused me hours of deleting. Gee whizz !

9. Granny55 on May 24th, 2013 3:14 pm

OMG – the 1 pm ABC news report featured the bridge collapse and they started the report with this! Hitting the road for the holiday weekend – better map out what bridges you will be crossing. What a bunch of fear mongers and yeah they all have their noses stuck right up Oblamers arse once again.

10. SignPainterGuy on May 24th, 2013 3:36 pm

I saw that last night and wondered if it was a structural issue like the I-35 bridge, but this morning I heard that an over-size truck hit the bridge. Because I didn`t see any large truck in the pix of the collapsed bridge taken moments afterward, I have to wonder if that crash may have happened earlier, removed and the damage to the bridge was missed or deemed not severe enough to close it down for repairs. (?) Or was the truck submerged and out of sight ?

11. SignPainterGuy on May 24th, 2013 4:02 pm

Now on radio news they`re calling it caused by the truck, wondering about the reason it hit and have not arrested the truck driver. SO, it sounds like the crash occurred only moments before the collapse !