This from the same kinds of planning geniuses who are now in charge of health care:

A $3.5-million solar panel installation at the airport in Manchester, New Hampshire — paid for with a federal grant — is under wraps as engineers debate how to deal with the glare that has bothered air traffic controllers, the New Hampshire Union Leader reported on Thursday.

According to the newspaper, engineers have suggested that the south-facing panels on top of the airport parking garage be turned to the east, even though that would reduce their energy output.

Here’s what the controllers were looking at:

glare

Wouldn’t it be the perfect “worlds collide” moment if an air traffic controller was blinded by that when Gore Force One was on approach?

Comments

17 Responses to “‘Green’ Central Planning at its Finest: Air Traffic Controllers Bothered by Glare from Solar Panels”

1. Truesoldier__ on August 8th, 2013 4:45 pm

"under wraps as engineers debate how to deal with the glare that has bothered air traffic controllers"

Translation: the engineers are still trying to figure out who is going to have to be the one to tell the greenies in the administration that the solar panels are going to have to go.

2. Truesoldier__ on August 8th, 2013 4:49 pm

Gore would tell them it is ok to take the solar panels down as long as they buy carbon offset credits from the Goracle.

3. jeffythequick on August 8th, 2013 4:51 pm

…actually, what'll happen is there will be a $400M study to have the panels' glare deflected when the air traffic controllers are looking that way, and a $2B project to implement it.

After that, there will be a contract for $250M/year to one of AlGore's companies to maintain the thing, which will, after it is all said and done, provide enough power to charge an iPhone over 6 hours.

4. SignPainterGuy on August 8th, 2013 5:05 pm

Simplest fix: squeegee on some polarizing film to the inside of the control tower glass. Or some opaque film just in the area of the glass facing the solar panels.

Probably too simple and inexpensive for gubmit engineers !

Are these the usual 12% efficient panels ?

5. Dexter_Alarius on August 8th, 2013 5:23 pm

I think a strategically placed billboard would fix the problem.

6. SignPainterGuy on August 8th, 2013 5:35 pm

Yeah, just outside the control tower so the controllers can play "traffic cops" !

7. backwoodsconservative on August 8th, 2013 7:23 pm

Just think, we're going to have the greenest plane crashes ever.

8. doriangrey1 on August 9th, 2013 12:33 pm
  9. iratenate on August 11th, 2013 12:19 pm

and their solution will no doubt be to cover the panels with black paint…your tax dollars at rest.

10. Ethan on September 1st, 2013 2:25 am

shipping container homes

looks like a good site but there seem to be quite a lot of ads…

11. London Gatwick on December 14th, 2013 4:49 pm

We offer taxi service from London Gatwick airport to Heathrow Airport, London, all over uk. We offer cheap minicab service and airport transfers from London Gatwick Airport.

12. Rachael on December 17th, 2013 9:42 am

13. ciaociao123 on March 23rd, 2014 7:54 pm

Help me understand the costs and benefits of solar panels. I just read this article, and what struck me was that solar panels have dropped in price by 2/3 in the last three years. So that made them affordable, right? But where to find off grid solar power kits? I've recently had some troubles with my electric company, so the prospect of reducing my dependence and sending them less money strikes me as quite desirable. I've got a sem-flat roof. What am I missing? Is this doable? Is it dumb? Is going to make a lot less of a difference than I think?

14. Juliette Dedeaux on April 17th, 2014 2:55 pm

I salute Sunlution for their vision to make solar power cost efficient and global. I know everybody can also benefit into this if this will be implemented go here

15. Cleveland on May 4th, 2014 10:40 am

I read this types of content continue. We know all is well that ends well. Really very effective content that you have shared in this site. What do you mean ? Ca you give me this meaning. I don't have any knowledge about this so if you would get in order that I will be more happy. Thanks a lot..

16. taxi to bhx on August 10th, 2014 10:54 am

Fabulous stuff from you man. I've perused your things before and you are simply excessively magnificent. I worship what you have got right here. You make it exciting regardless you figure out how to keep it shrewd. This is genuinely an incredible website. A debt of gratitude is in order regarding offering.

17. iOS 10 on October 10th, 2016 4:29 pm

Now, iOS 10 takes all those things and pushes them forward. The design is getting cleaner and more consistent. The architecture is becoming more open and convenient. The wiring, much smarter and even more secure. It's taken time — and pain — getting the physics, extensibility, and intelligence to this point. Now Apple gets to — and has to — pay it all off. to get more information go to cydianerd.