liberalutopia

So what if your Big Mac costs $12, the unions want in!

Beginning a day of protests that organizers say will spread to 50 cities and 1,000 stores across the country, a crowd of chanting workers gathered Thursday morning at a McDonald’s in midtown Manhattan to call for higher wages and the chance to join a union.

About 500 people, including workers, activists, religious leaders, news crews and local politicians, gathered outside the McDonald’s on Fifth Avenue. The protesters chanted “Si Se Puede” (“Yes, We Can”) and “Hey, hey, ho, ho $7.25 has got to go,” holding signs saying “On Strike: Can’t Survive on $7.25,” referring to the federal minimum wage.

Nobody ever told these pinheads that making French fries isn’t really supposed to be a lifetime career option? There are a bunch of people who have a really rude awakening in store.

This is really all about unions wanting to get their porky snouts deeper into the fast food biz, because they’re losing membership everywhere else. But that’s what they do these days — bleed an industry dry and then move on to cripple another.

Update: “I’m libbin’ it” — new striking fast food worker mottos.

Update II:

Comments

19 Responses to “Supersized Stupid: McDonalds Workers Strike for ‘Living Wage’”

1. jeffythequick on August 29th, 2013 5:54 pm

For you libs that read here (both of you):

In my life, I've worked minimum wage for 3 months. Here is what happened:
    No insurance jobs, while having type 1 diabetes, so I bought my own insulin, syringes and testing supplies:
    1986: $3.35/hr, working 30-40 hours/week and going to college
    1987: $4.00/hr
    1988: $5.00/hr
    1989: $6.00/hr – my then wife got pregnant, so I took out a $2000 loan to pay for the delivery. Oh yeah, got in a motorcycle accident, and paid about $1500 to the ambulance and emergency room, plus doctors.
    1990: Graduated college – got insurance- had baby, paid for half of it, due to pre-existing condition
    1991: 2nd son born. Paid $15 for delivery
    1993: 1st daughter born, but I changed jobs, so this was a pre-existing condition, so I paid COBRA for 4 months (luckily she was born on the 29th, so I didn't have to pay that extra month)

Get it? I went to college to better myself, so I would get a job that had insurance, and when I didn't have insurance, I paid those bills myself!

That is why I am vehemently against government welfare. It robs the soul. Personal or church welfare? Sure.

2. Truesoldier__ on August 30th, 2013 12:04 am

"The protesters chanted “Si Se Puede” (“Yes, We Can”)"

I wonder if the morons at the RNC see this and can put two and two together that this is what will happen to their "cheap labor" if Shamnesty passes. Once they are legal they no longer have to accept minimum wage (or less) for jobs.

3. doriangrey1 on August 30th, 2013 11:09 am

Super-sized Stupidity, meet the new Intellectual Darwin Award…

Be Alert, the world desperatly needs more Lerts…

4. Granny55 on August 30th, 2013 12:54 pm

What happens when you make $15/hr and you are on welfare? Do they know that they will lose their freebies?

5. Granny55 on August 30th, 2013 1:58 pm

True – we have fruits and vegetables rotting in the fields in Michigan because there are not enough migrant workers to pick. What does that tell you about our immigration policies?

6. ChapBix on August 30th, 2013 6:17 pm

Not totally sure on this, but I seem to remember that under Obammycare a person won't be able to make cash arrangements with doctors and hospitals for medical bills or purchase insurance that would only cover catastrophic injuries and illnesses. The only insurance available will be what Obammy and Sebelius say a person can have.

7. ChapBix on August 30th, 2013 6:20 pm

Not to worry, Granny55. The left will re-jigger everything so that they will be able to continue getting welfare benefits. A new $15/hr. minimum wage will re-set economic realities in this sad sack of a country the left has made of it.

8. Marshall_Will on August 30th, 2013 6:26 pm

Seriously?

In a different life I worked for around $12 an hour but we had -awesome- benefits! My employer was the largest ind. tire dealer in the PNW and that is *exactly* what they did!

They neg. directly w/ the care provider and typically paid 80% or less as it was cash mony. NOT some 90-day billing cycle, give us your acct. # and we'll wire it today! So obviously we'll have none of THAT?

9. Marshall_Will on August 30th, 2013 6:32 pm

It really IS their ultimate goal here isn't it?

Been reading Adam Corolla "Not Taco Bell Material" and if EVER anyone had an uphill, bootstrap battle it was THIS guy. His parents ( hippie/lib whack job of a 'mother' and jazz philosopher 'dad' ) he's a walking Who's Who of min. wage jobs.

But he always kept his chin up and concluded "I dragged myself into success". I can't recommend his books enough. True, there's plenty of groty pranks he and Jimmy Kimmel pulled you can just pass over but he has a very powerful, conservative message.

10. mcmeador on September 3rd, 2013 2:40 am

When is the last time you encountered a McDonald's employee that deserved to have a job, much less a "living wage?" It's very rare.

11. doc on December 7th, 2013 11:38 am

what's it tell you about greedy farmers exploiting people. No different than the WASP's who did it to the Italians, the Polish, the Germans, the Irish…Oh, but you've benefitted from those people's strikes, rallies, unions and now want to do it to otheres. Hypocrits

12. Zacharia on December 14th, 2013 1:47 pm

13. Thorsten on January 6th, 2014 8:21 am

14. FAT SPOKE WHEEL on March 18th, 2014 3:41 pm

nice blog for bike information
    looking for more info.Call 800-518-7715. Motorcycle Parts and Accessories. Motorcycle superstore for Harley Davidson Parts, Honda Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha Parts, Suzuki motorcycle parts. Fat Spoke, Fat 52 Spoke, Mammoth Wheel, DNA Wheels, Mid-USA, V-Twin, Tech-Cycle, DNA Motorcycle Parts http://www.superiormcsupply.com/

15. Fat 52 Spoke Wheel on March 30th, 2014 7:02 pm

This blog is really great!! thank for sharing it.well down!!!!!
    looking for more info

16. Fat Spoke Wheel on April 10th, 2014 4:26 pm

This blog is really great!! thank for sharing it.well down!!!!!

17. best brunch in miami on June 10th, 2014 5:52 pm

18. rush-essay on December 19th, 2014 5:21 am

It is our confirmed duty that we do our participation in the spreading awareness in our all communities and societies that education is very necessary and important for our best way of living and also very important for our best future career. Our young generation is our upcoming next new generation we realized them all.

19. Android Apk Apps on June 8th, 2016 4:27 am