Not according to the Congressional Research Service:

The Congressional Research Service (CRS) said in a report released on August 20 that the Pentagon has estimated it would take “over 75,000 troops” to secure Syria’s chemical weapons.

Meanwhile, the draft text of the resolution authorizing President Barack Obama to use force in Syria that is being taken up by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee today prohibits the president from putting ground troops in Syria “for the purpose of combat operations”–but appears to leave open the possiblity that the president could put troops in Syria to secure chemical weapons.

Not only that, but nobody is confident that we’d even be fighting for the right side — or if either side is worth fighting for — or who exactly it was that used the chemical weapons. Other than that, let’s get this war started!

Actually, I’ll be surprised if Obama launches an attack unilaterally. I’d say there’s a 75% chance that President Rambo McPeaceprize is just trying to look like a rogue badass. The problem is, even that kind of talk can be dangerous in a powder keg situation, which is the perpetual state of the Middle East. The bottom line is that I don’t think anybody in the administration knows what they’re doing and they are like Robert Reich in the shallow end of the pool: Still in way over their heads.

The number of former peaceniks who are gung-ho on this is amazing. Et tu, Howard Dean?

Comments

11 Responses to “So a Few Cruise Missiles Will Rid Syria of Chemical Weapons?”

1. backwoodsconsr on September 5th, 2013 9:11 pm

"Let me have the guidance controls for that cruise missile. I want to see if I can fly it up a camel's ass!"

"With all due respect sir, you are a camel's ass"

2. swede on September 5th, 2013 10:08 pm

"So a Few Cruise Missiles Will Rid Syria of Chemical Weapons?"

Ya, sure. They'll also get rid of that stubborn bathtub ring and it won't cost a dime!

3. Truesoldier__ on September 6th, 2013 2:55 am

Question is will Dear leader just ignore the vote if it fails and go in anyway. The only reason Dear Leader wants the vote to pass is to be able to blame it on Republicans when things go to hell.

I feel sorry for our troops knowing that if they go into Syria they might as well be carrying nerf guns with the ROE styling's of Dear Leader.

4. backwoodsconsr on September 6th, 2013 8:57 pm

I talked to SPG today. The reason he hasn't been around lately is he's suffering financial hardship and has lost his internet access. He's asking for prayers. He needs to find a job or some work so he can afford internet access and life's necessities.

Other than that he's doing okay.

5. patti on September 7th, 2013 1:16 am

Sigh….so sorry to hear this…thanks for passing the word along, backwoods. I knew something was up since we noticed SPG was MIA at MM's and I didn't see his posts here either. Please let him know he's in my thoughts and prayers….I hope he gets a break and can be back soon, we miss him already.

6. ChapBix on September 7th, 2013 1:47 am

Shall remember him as well since he and I are both looking for work.

7. patti on September 7th, 2013 2:20 am

Seems to be a lot of people looking for work in this Obama Recovery ?

Thoughts and prayers to you as well, ChapBix.

8. mcmeador on September 8th, 2013 12:44 am

Even if cruise missiles would have been able to wipe out Syria's chemical weapons capabilities, it's not like they would be effective after weeks of telegraphing our plans to Syria and giving them all the time in the world to move them.

9. Allintong on September 17th, 2013 12:51 am

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand fake business in canada the value of providing a prime resource for free.

10. paintball guns on September 18th, 2013 4:21 am

I was totally against about the Syria war and if America attack on Syria then within the few days this country wind up from country but I am happy that this kind of thing is not happen. I like your collection and idea of your people and i hope you will keep update us about that.

11. Jakson on August 29th, 2014 5:00 am

It is nice to read your article and you give wonderful information. Please keep posting such kind of stuff.