Florida Rep. Alan Grayson has many times said that Wall Street greed is what’s wrong with America, and he supports “Occupy Wall Street.”

However, Grayson doesn’t hate Wall Street so much that he doesn’t help fund it by sinking millions of his own cash into securities. In any case, Grayson’s recently been relieved of any hypocrisy:

U.S. Representative Alan Grayson, a Florida Democrat, lost about $18 million in a scheme involving a Reston, Virginia-based firm that loaned customers funds in exchange for securities posted as collateral, his office said on Monday.

The loss was confirmed by Lauren Doney, communications director of Grayson’s office in Washington, D.C., who said the firm in question “sold the congressman’s collateral without his permission.”

The head of the firm, William Dean Chapman, was sentenced to a lengthy prison term by a federal court judge in Alexandria, Virginia, last week for defrauding scores of investors of more than $35 million.

Oh the hypocrisy-induced schadenfreude.

Comments

8 Responses to “Scammer helps relieve Alan Grayson of millions of dollars worth of hypocrisy”

1. backwoodsconservative on December 10th, 2013 7:51 pm

I can't understand how Alan Grayson could lose millions of dollars. It's not like he's ever shown signs of being stupid.

My suggestion for a defense for the people who took the money:

"We needed it to pay our Obamacare premiums and deductibles."

2. backwoodsconservative on December 10th, 2013 7:52 pm

I notice the post on MM's blog about the sale of Twitchy has an actual photo of Doug. So that's the man behind the clown mask.

3. Marshall_Will on December 10th, 2013 11:55 pm

Ha! More power to the whole crew. Great pic.

One thing MM didn't seem to grasp in that early going was, just because some of us didn't necessarily understand it, in no way was to imply we doubted her or the concept! When you've been reading an author's columns for 20+ years.., it has to be for a reason.

PP noted in the comments below and I can't disagree, Twitter's hot at the moment, and her timing may prove impeccable. Read I believe in Barron's "20 Don'ts for 20-somethings" one of them was "bank your entire career on the future of social media".

The bear in me tends to agree. But whatever it is that turns white-hot next, rest assured MM will be ahead of the curve! I recall reading after Hot Air's 6-month look back she said "We started this w/ lots of guts ( and some really, really maxed out credit cards..! )" (para) Lol

How different from the likes of zombie-NPR/taxpayer-subsidized propaganda funded Goliaths. Truly inspiring.

4. Doug on December 11th, 2013 1:02 am

"One thing MM didn't seem to grasp in that early going was, just because some of us didn't necessarily understand it, in no way was to imply we doubted her or the concept!"

I know what you mean. Hell, I WORKED there for several weeks before I fully understood the concept. No kidding — it takes a while to wrap your head around. And way back when I saw the concept before launch, again, I was like "wait… what?" It's SO different than traditional blogging.

Michelle's a genius at spotting the trends though, and that was a unique one indeed.

And traffic went through the roof as soon as people started realizing they didn't have to be Twitter aficionados in order to read the site.

5. Doug on December 11th, 2013 1:11 am

Unfortunately we were standing outside the restaurant under a light with a lumen output equal to five of our suns, so the brightness from on high looks like the end of "Ghost" when Swayze goes to his eternal reward.

It was never my intention to subject the Internet to my actual photo. But at least there aren't any pictures of me twerking in the hotel bar after four shots of Crown Royal and a sixer of Sam Adams lager. At least I don't THINK there are.

6. backwoodsconservative on December 11th, 2013 1:25 am

There is so much beauty on the left side of that photo that if I hadn't seen your name in the caption I wouldn't have lingered on the right side long enough to get a look at you.

7. Marshall_Will on December 11th, 2013 5:28 am

The whole storming process often doesn't fully materialize in the creator's head in one fell swoop either. Twitter seems to embody all that "ambient awareness" tech-types keep telling us about.

Timing's a big part of it too. Right industry, right time. There's still ample need for traditional blogging as events can seldom be explained in 140 characters or less. But as MM had the foresight to gauge, even if Twitter, FB etc. becomes dated, it's too important a battlefront to simply abandon as a medium for conservatives.

Just glad you were all up to it!

8. Yepi 2 on December 16th, 2013 8:25 am

I actually find that this fraud is extremely regrettable and appalling. I do not like the same thing at all.