Do you find it as funny as I do that A&E could lose the most lucrative, highest rated non-fiction cable series of all time just because they were in a rush to appease people who don’t even watch the show?

Also, any “boycott” of the show’s advertisers isn’t going to work because companies like Under Armour know their customer base, and that base doesn’t look like this.

In spite of their “offense” at Phil Robertson’s comments, A&E continues to milk every last dollar out of the show. Get it while you can, A&E, because that money might go elsewhere soon.

A&E may have made the dumbest broadcast media business decision since somebody gave Magic Johnson a talk show.

Comments

18 Responses to “Will A&E win the award for dumbest business decision of the year?”

1. backwoodsconsr on December 20th, 2013 6:54 pm

Does the rollout of Obamacare count as a business decision? That's the closest competitor I can think of.

2. Truesoldier__ on December 20th, 2013 7:20 pm

It is like Bobby Jindal said: 'Messed Up Situation When Miley Cyrus Gets a Laugh, and Phil Robertson Gets Suspended'.

3. joyannaadams on December 20th, 2013 7:32 pm

Mmmm..A&E has always been the "artsy" channel…and has anybody noticed that too many reality shows are making the "backwoods" characters (Like Larry the Cable Guy) into the modern day freak-show? I don't think the producers thought that Duck Dynasty would be so popular…because THEY think most people from the 'back' country are morons.

SURPRISE! :)

4. Truesoldier__ on December 20th, 2013 8:09 pm

More proof that this may have been the dumbest business move evah!

EXCLUSIVE: Duck Dynasty's multi-million payday: Their $400m empire flourishes amid scandal as fans flock to support Phil Robertson – and Walmart sells out of show merchandise

5. Truesoldier__ on December 20th, 2013 8:17 pm

This might make Glaad's collective head explode:

6. backwoodsconsr on December 20th, 2013 9:04 pm

I ran across a commenter on one blog who saw my moniker and was surprised at the level of intelligence displayed in my posts. Apparently there are a lot of people who don't believe it's possible to live in rural areas and have much brainpower. Personally, I feel safer in the wilderness than I do anywhere in the city.

This wilderness lover, in his mid 50s, has embarked on an effort to relearn the advanced mathematics I've forgotten since high school and to take my knowledge even further. I'm not going to college or anything; I'm studying on my own. The goal is to acquire the knowledge of Physics I've always wanted, and I need mathematics to get there. I'm doing this not for monetary gain or any kind of career change, but just because I want to learn it.

Just don't ask me to lose my southern accent. It ain't gonna happen.

7. Minecraft jugar on December 21st, 2013 3:02 am

I actually find that it is not necessarily objectionable, but everything seems to go a bit far from what it should do. I'm really surprised

8. joyannaadams on December 21st, 2013 3:08 am

Good for you! Never stop learning…If America is attacked again on her home soil, all the liberals will be knocking on the doors of the people living in the woods”Uh..do you have any matches I can borrow? Or wine? Or an internet connection?” And you can say, “NOPE” Hey, check out Khan academy online…you can learn until you're lying on your deathbed…I intend to! As for your southern accent…OMG..that's a national treasure.

9. backwoodsconsr on December 21st, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks for the tip. I have it bookmarked so I can refer to it if need be. Right now I'm studying PreAlgebra using a textbook I bought from Amazon, and doing very well with it. Textbooks and videos from The Great Courses are what I expect to lean on the most, but it's nice to have other options available.

10. reaganitegoper on December 21st, 2013 12:58 pm

Yes- yes they will

Linked: Around the Righty Blogosphere…

11. Marshall_Will on December 21st, 2013 6:55 pm

I… was just going to say…, 'Kahn Academy'..!"?

My buddy at the guard base ( OIT instructor ) got me started on KA when it was just getting off the ground. Incredibly, their vid installment of "The Housing Bubble Explained" covers every essential facet in under 8 min.

What's weird is Bill Gates' ENDORSEMENT of it..!?!?!? He's squarely behind Common Bore, which is by all objective measure; "How To Function In The World Without Being Literate" and at the SAME time..?

12. Marshall_Will on December 21st, 2013 7:01 pm

Personally, I can't STAND the 'show'. Our daughters/SIL's *rave* about it and for the life of me..? But that's of little consequence. MM doesn't strike me as the type that would set aside a -minute- of her busy day, but; wrote eloquently in their defense.

As she pointed out, it was PHIL that was asked the question, not HE on some sort of unsolicited ala Alec Baldwin 'tirade'. A&E really stepped in it.

13. Marshall_Will on December 21st, 2013 7:10 pm

Wouldn't put a lot of 'stock' in the pRez's pop culture realm of acknowledgment. He does/DOESN'T know whom 'Snookie' is. He does/DOESN'T_______. He embraces/disavows as His situation at the time merits.

( From previous ) While it's *always* good practice to be on one's toes where Progs are concerned, at present, I don't see this @-hole having the political will, capital or credibility to open a lemonade stand, let alone implement Single Payer.

How is that going to happen? Broadcast some Presidential Decree from an underground bunker in an undisclosed location as He hits the self-destruct button for the WH whilst watching a DD marathon?

14. ChapBix on December 21st, 2013 8:02 pm

Since taking up woodworking, I have had to re-learn some mathematics. I left the fifties of life a few years ago and "advanced" into the sixties. Unlike you, I never went far in mathematics in high school or afterward. More into the business math side of things back then. However, I have to reach deep down to remember what little I did sock away. It sure comes in handy! And as joyannaadams says below, it is is never too late to learn more as long as we are sucking air!

15. ChapBix on December 21st, 2013 8:08 pm

Nice to see the progs get a hard dope slap on the back of the head for a change. Reality bites, eh, progs? A&E execs will have satisfied their slave owners and all will be well in the land of progs again, someday. Meanwhile, the rest of us have a good idea of what the actual score is.

16. backwoodsconsr on December 21st, 2013 8:26 pm

I've always enjoyed learning. My studies of history focused on WWII for most of my life, but over the last few years I've branched out into studying earlier times in our nation's history. I've read several of Thomas Sowell's books and have learned much from him. I'm currently reading his book "Knowledge And Decisions". He turned his intellect loose on that one. I'm having a harder time with it than I am the math. I have to read sentences and paragraphs 2 or 3 times to be sure I understood his meaning. The man gets deep with that one.

17. minecraft juegos on December 23rd, 2013 12:59 am

Thanks for sharing. I have it bookmarked so I can refer to it if need be. Right now I'm studying PreAlgebra using a textbook I bought from Amazon, and doing very well with it. Looking forward to sharing your next, I've got a lot of useful information for you from the information you have shared.

18. wisata krakatau on February 23rd, 2014 7:39 am