The mainstream media can be so embarrassing — even dangerous sometimes.

A basic gun safety rule is “always handle the gun as if it’s loaded.” So with that in mind, ABC News decided to let kids find guns they said were unloaded and even look down the barrel:

SAWYER: We took a group of kids and we did just that, we gave them an intense warning. And then we took another group of kids and sent them all into a playroom with lots of toys, and something else, three real, unloaded and disabled guns. While their parents watched, here’s what our hidden cameras recorded.

Hey, if ABC News really wanted to make their point, why didn’t they just leave the guns loaded and then blame the NRA when they went off?

Moral of the story: Do not let ABC News anywhere near your kids.

(h/t Twitchy)

Comments

6 Responses to “ABC News hides real guns for kids to find, which is supposed to prove a gun control point or something”

1. Truesoldier__ on February 1st, 2014 2:46 am

So curiosity is now evil is it? Well without curiosity we would still be living in the stone ages, kinda like the Muslims. So is that what ABC is trying to say we should be as ignorant as the stone age Muslims?

2. Marshall_Will on February 1st, 2014 6:59 pm

Pretty much. Cutting the LEGS out from under medical device R&D is a solid start? Apply leeches and wait for the undertaker's arrival…

ABC, why not just plant some mushrooms or LSD in there and have some REAL fun!? Given 'planting' seems to be what you people do best. This isn't 'reporting'. It's staged propaganda. And AS such, the purveyor, namely the DNC needs to be sent a BILL for the advertising spot.

Any 'program' ( assuming there were any sincerity behind it ) would have to be statewide to have any meaningful impact. This is what passes as 'reporting' in this day and age.

3. Marshall_Will on February 1st, 2014 9:48 pm

Funny driving incident on the way back from S. OR yesterday. Passed a BMW suv ( WA plates ) heading up Hwy 97 and… the guy starts drifting into my lane. No big, just kinda' shook my head.

Like any drive you make regularly, you know where/when to pass.., where the cops are etc. As usual I'd passed the trucks, casino crowd and had gone about 75 miles and 2/3rds. of Exile On Main Street And.Here.Comes.Mr. BMW..! Seems he'd taken the snub THAT personal and got right up on my rear bumper! Truthfully, I thought it was beyond hysterical.

Here's the thing: Where is all this anger and determination when it could have really COUNTED? Dude, let the nice older guy in the Jag slide and uh… get focued on things that might actually MATTER. Sheesh, the brink of a Sewshallist Takeover and we still have time for road rage games..?

4. backwoodsconsr on February 1st, 2014 10:22 pm

I had a fellow get right up on my bumper after I passed him. I thought, "Dude. If you had been going that fast to begin with I wouldn't have even caught you, much less passed you." To me, it's ridiculous to get pissed off over being passed.

5. Marshall_Will on February 2nd, 2014 4:46 pm

Exactly. A local once said of Hwy 97 in C. OR "You're more likely to see a UFO than another human 1,000 yds. to either side". One balmy Sept. Friday night we averaged 110 mph. w/ sprints flirting w/ a buck-thirty. I think I spotted Bigfoot but locking up the brakes at that speed..?

Anyway, directing energy toward something more worthwhile, I'm thinking of staging a few rallies as the weather gets a little nicer. I've heard p*rnstache's new law entails fed. prosecution if it's within the same county as one of our elected elite.

What's to stop them from forming up an elite motorcade in impromptu fashion and cruising it right THRU your little demonstration, then identifying your [peaceful] gathering as a 'threat'? Or is giving us 2nd thoughts over pursuing it the point?

6. sizemorew on February 4th, 2014 2:25 pm

I want to first give a "shame on you" to the parents that agreed to this BS. Can you say "obvious setup"?

Second, there are so many holes in how the reporting is done that I want to just scream but here are my top issues:

We don't know what gun safety lessons the parents personally gave their kids. The implication is that the kids are taught using just that video and the parents are like "Okay, they know what to do". If there was any reporting done from that angle, very likely it was left on the cutting room floor because at least some of those parent-provided lessons were quite extensive.
    Look at how many kids were in the gun safety video and the class with the officer. Quite a lot of them, right? If the problem with the gun safety training idea is that kids won't listen, why are they only showing one pair of kids? Where's the rest of the footage? Why is half of the report dedicated to this one pair while the rest of the class is ignored? Did the rest not give the results ABC was looking for?
    In conjunction with the above bullet point, why is it shocking that some kids' curiosity overcomes authority figure instructions? Assuming that the reason the rest of the class isn't shown because they actually listened to directions, there's going to be a small percentile that don't listen. Fortunately, the gun was unloaded and "safe" judging by the fact that there was no magazine in that pistol from what I saw. (Can't be a hundred percent sure without pulling back the slide to look.) Yes, if this were a real situation and the gun was loaded, we'd have a potential tragedy on our hands. But notice that the rest of the class (going with the same assumption that they aren't shown because they did as they'd been taught) would be safe. That is something to cheer for that reduces the risk of such tragedies.

Ever since I was in elementary school, Dad taught me to always, always, always assume a weapon is loaded until it's been cleared and to alert an authority figure right away if I found an unattended weapon. He even showed me how to clear the weapon myself when I got older. He drilled into my head what to do and had me go over it with him until I could practically recite it in my sleep. Hell, we went to the gun range in December, and I automatically kept my finger outside the trigger guard until I was ready to fire even when the gun wasn't loaded. Didn't even think about it. It was reflex, and it took Dad pointing it out and praising me to even know I was doing it. (It's been two or three years since the last time we had a session at the gun range or even really handled the weapons.)

The kind of comprehensive training Dad gave me was effective and formed a lifelong pattern of healthy respect for what a gun can do in someone's hands and to protect myself and others around me should I come across a weapon like ABC's setup. That is the kind of gun training I would want my kids (if I ever had any) to learn, and it's insulting and misleading of this news report to imply that the effort would be pointless.