This probably happens a lot more than ever gets reported:

All the same, two Oscar voters privately admitted that they didn’t see “12 Years a Slave,” thinking it would be upsetting. But they said they voted for it anyway because, given the film’s social relevance, they felt obligated to do so.

Hopping on a pop culture bandwagon just because everybody else was doing so in spite of personally knowing nothing about it? Why does that sound so familiar?

Comments

24 Responses to “’12 Years a Slave’ such a good movie at least 2 Oscar voters chose it as ‘Best Picture’ without seeing it”

1. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2014 6:31 pm

Yet another award that has becoming utterly meaningless.

2. Granny617 on March 6th, 2014 10:00 pm

Kinda like the Nobel Peace Prize…..

3. Granny617 on March 6th, 2014 10:06 pm

Had my aunt here all last week and she rented Dallas Buyers Club. I am so anti Hollyweird that I won't spend my hardworking dollars going to the movies that often. I did go to August Osange County and it was very good. And my aunt had not seen it so I rented it thru Comcast so she could watch it. Meryl Streep was robbed of best actress. Was pleased Matthew McCounhey won for best actor and Leto for best supporting actor. It was a VERY good movie. Even more so when he thanked God for giving him the talent. So in a nut shell I spent $23 on movies in one month which is more than I have spent on movies in the last 10 years.

4. Granny617 on March 6th, 2014 10:08 pm

PS – I DID not watch the Oscars – just read about it the next day and watched Matthew McCounhey acceptance speech. I hate award shows!

5. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2014 10:13 pm

+1.., or however many it takes these days?

6. Marshall_Will on March 6th, 2014 10:23 pm

"which is more than I have spent on movies in the last 10 years."

Lol,sounds about right! Voters past have tossed around the idea of the "No Confidence Vote" and we should at least establish same for Hollyweird.

Those unwilling to impale themselves on the latest "Oprah-Approved (TM)" offering are… pretty much cast aside. There's about a half-dozen ref's marketers use describe pop culture Conservative defectors. In the past we've heard "laggards", low-yield customers, low-ROA investors ( meaning we're not day traders ) and now; "waste"!

Not kidding, waste. So.., don't retool your product ( or god forbid your thinking! ) to create something that might actually appeal to 49.9% of the American public, you just keep having those great earnings' seasons w/ that fabulous youth market, okay!?

7. Truesoldier__ on March 6th, 2014 11:35 pm

Well here is an interesting fact:

The most-seen movies of 2013 were The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Iron Man Three and Frozen. Katniss’ opus was completely stiffed, the Tony Stark sequel earned only a Visual Effects nomination, and Frozen, which should have been nominated for Best Picture (as the animated features Beauty and the Beast, Up and Toy Story 3 were previously), will have to settle for prizes given out early in the Oscar ceremony.

8. Marshall_Will on March 7th, 2014 12:44 am

Ah.., the Foreshadowing Games! Somewhat torn on that one. On one hand, it's a call to rebel, OTOH, a humbling call for acquiescence to the inevitability of A-21.

Should there be an award for Best Actor/Director of a portrayal of the abysmal future the global elite have planned for us? How about a a TV-FS Rating? "Not suitable for younger droogies"?

With apologies to Stanley Kubrick!

9. Doug on March 7th, 2014 1:39 am

Saw Dallas Buyers Club a few days ago. And I saw Gravity at the theater a while back. I think this is the first year I've seen at least two "Best Picture" nominees.

However, Academy Awards shows sure are a lot more boring when the president is somebody who the lefty moonbats all adore.

10. Doug on March 7th, 2014 1:41 am

Haven't seen Frozen yet, but my daughter says I should.

11. Marshall_Will on March 7th, 2014 11:28 am

Daughters always extend a kinder, gentler side to dads; that may or may not exist?

12. Marshall_Will on March 7th, 2014 11:32 am

Sorry, but after the [essential] Miss Congeniality (2) I can't even SIT thru another SB movie…!

As for the DBC, here we go again, w/ H'wood straddling demographic themes that half the audience can take (1) way, and? Kind of like Obama imploring LIV's to "get their 'revenge' in 2012.

13. Truesoldier__ on March 7th, 2014 11:37 am

O/T, but an interesting twist in the VW unionization vote (and a much more dramatic plot line than most of the garbage coming out of Hollyweird today):

UAW, VW Colluding to Block Autoworkers from Defending Anti-Union Vote

14. Truesoldier__ on March 7th, 2014 11:38 am

Here is one movie a may actually go see in the theater (which for me means driving about an hour and a half over the pass to Pueblo):

15. nannykins on March 7th, 2014 12:16 pm

Oops – forgot I saw Frozen too when I was visiting family in Texas. We took my grandson. It was very good.

16. kizi 1 on March 11th, 2014 12:53 am

It's the film exhibit a respectful and meaningful. Things duocphan light and the picture we see what want to convey.
    kizi 1 | kizi 2

17. hopy 1 on March 11th, 2014 1:27 am

sad. I have not seen the movie awards '12 Years a Slave '

18. tragamonedas on August 29th, 2014 4:37 pm

Even more so when he thanked God for giving him the talent. So in a nut shell I spent $23 on movies in one month which is more than I have spent on movies in the last 10 years. – See more at: http://dougpowers.com/2014/03/06/12-years-a-slave

19. tragaperras on August 29th, 2014 4:38 pm

20. y8 games on October 23rd, 2014 11:22 pm

Good movie. Thanks

21. ????? ??? on September 27th, 2015 9:43 am

Gooood

22. ????? ?????? on September 27th, 2015 9:43 am

thanks

23. ????? ????? on September 27th, 2015 9:44 am

?? ?????? ?????? ?? ??????? ?????

24. Y8games on January 21st, 2016 6:43 am

Thank you! I have to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this site .I really hope to check out the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own website now !