To my knowledge the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad hasn’t yet been evacuated, but I do know that preparations are under way in case that’s necessary.

As for the years of blood, sweat, tears and sacrifice of America’s finest, that appears to be slipping away:

ISIS militants are taking control of more and more of Iraq. Mosul, Iraq’s second-largest city, has already fallen.

During it all I’ve been thinking about a Gold Star Mother who lives nearby. She lost her Marine son in Iraq nine years ago. Our little community here rallied to support her family and hopefully were of some comfort. There is still a picture of him in the window of the local gas station. The sun has left it a little faded, but his name is still readable, as are the words “KIA Fallujah, 2005.”

She remains very proud of her son of course, but I can’t help but try to imagine what she’s thinking today. And the same goes for the thousands of parents of service members killed in Iraq over a nine-year period.

The greatest disservice that could be done to these families — and the country for that matter — is if they end up telling themselves “it was for nothing.”

I’m afraid that’s precisely what’s happening.

Update:

Iran is of course smelling opportunity due to the instability.

Comments

8 Responses to “As Iraq appears close to collapse…”

1. Truesoldier__ on June 13th, 2014 10:35 am

This whole issue has me PO beyond belief. Dear leader purposely screwed up on the SOFA negotiations as an excuse to pull out of Iraq completely and now exactly what many of us predicted would happen is happening.

this A-hole is telling all of us (the troops that server, our loved ones and the American people) it was all for nothing. That my wife has to deal with me waking up in a cold-sweat and night terrors almost nightly, but don't worry it was all for nothing.

This POS needs to be impeached, and I have sent my Congressman a letter saying just that. His primary is only a few weeks away and I reminded him what just happened to Cantor. Maybe that will wake him out of his slumber.

2. Truesoldier__ on June 13th, 2014 10:37 am

RE: Update:

Iran smell the opportunity, especially seeing how well it worked out for Putin in Ukraine. I could see Iran, whose Mullahs are of the Shiite variety of islam, could use Putin's "we are going in to help the ethnic Shia in Iraq from the unrest caused by the Sunni terrorists."

3. Truesoldier__ on June 13th, 2014 10:38 am

"To my knowledge the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad hasn’t yet been evacuated"

After Benghazi and the Bergdahl disaster I would be seriously worried if I were stationed at the embassy in Baghdad.

4. Marshall_Will on June 13th, 2014 4:36 pm

More disappointing still, from *inception* the Bush admin. made clear this would involve a long term commitment, much as exists at the 38th Parallel between N/S Korea.

The public was TOLD we'd likely need troops in some form of policing role quite potentially for the next 50 yrs. So it wasn't like some bait & switch deception. The public understood and consented.

I Wun…

5. Marshall_Will on June 13th, 2014 10:01 pm

OT; but before I forget:

Parents of school age children need to be every BIT as vocal about *not* allowing their kids to attend school UNTIL this insanity at the border is sorted out.

With every potential of having their children transmitting tuberculosis, scabies and all form of malady known to man, we are well within our rights as parents to withhold our support and attendance from local schools.

Between now and when class resumes in the Fall, we need to drive home this common sense, public health issue until the tone deaf are made to HEAR. If they choose ( and no doubt they WILL ) characterize this as raaacist paranoia/xenophobia Then.So.BE.It.

6. huz on June 23rd, 2014 6:20 am

I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style . I added it to my favorites blog site list…

7. girl go games on June 23rd, 2014 6:20 am

Thank you for for sharing so great thing to us. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post nice post, thanks for sharing.

8. friv2g on July 24th, 2014 2:37 pm

it is great it gives me that much more enjoyable, good luck