A while ago I ran across this:

obamas

In the interview, Michelle Obama described a fairly recent incident where she experienced racial prejudice:

The first lady also described being mistreated at a Target store in suburban Washington, during a shopping trip she took in 2011.

“Even as the first lady,” she told the magazine, “during the wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf.”

She said the incidents are “the regular course of life” for African-Americans and a “challenge” for the country to overcome.

The horror! Can you believe “can you help me reach that” still exists in 21st century America?

For the record, I’m a 6’3″ white guy and several times in my life I’ve been in a store and been asked by somebody if I could reach something on a shelf for them — and I had no idea until now that I’d been the victim of racism. Michelle Obama is almost 6 feet tall so I’m sure it’s happened to her more than once too, and I’m guessing most of those weren’t because she was black, but rather tall.

Clearly America has a problem with heightism!

Update:

Funny how FLOTUS’ take on the same story has evolved in just a couple of years:

Comments

14 Responses to “FLOTUS’ example of racial bias has also happened to me … several times”

1. Marshall_Will on December 17th, 2014 2:46 pm

This woman is every bit as pathological as her husband. Working off the assumption the rest of us are all so ignorant, any old [uncorroborated] anecdote will DO! In her mind it's the best we deserve. Link below explains the average American's shopping 'experience'.

2. Truesoldier__ on December 17th, 2014 5:52 pm

Makes you wonder how long it will be till the media track down the woman who asked for help so they can out her as a racist so as to push the narrative.

3. Granny617 on December 17th, 2014 6:31 pm

Pathological doesn't even begin to explain these two!

4. Granny617 on December 17th, 2014 6:34 pm

Then comes the DOJ investigation, the IRS audit, complete outing of all emails and phone conversations from NSA – it will be brutal.

5. Granny617 on December 17th, 2014 10:26 pm

These two attended the best schools, held six figure jobs, lived in a million dollar home in Chicago, now reside in the people's house, afforded every luxury at taxpayer's expense and they still cannot bring themselves to say – there were slights along the way but we were above that and that hard work and a good education got us where we are today. An uplifting message – to minorities of every color – instead – racism, racism, racism. I would say his next step in life would probably be to call himself Rev Barry and start race hustling for shakedown payola from those "evil, profit making banks and corporations".

6. ChapBix on December 17th, 2014 11:01 pm

Conceited and arrogant are the First couple. I venture most of us would have reached for whatever the person asked for (presuming we are tall enough, which I am not) without giving a thought to whatever the other person's skin color might have been.

7. Ace on December 18th, 2014 1:07 pm

Wow, turns out I know what it's like to be a black woman in Amerikkka…who knew? I think I'll be throwing out the race card next time some uppity little old lady asks me to get her a can of beans off the top shelf.

8. Marshall_Will on December 18th, 2014 2:53 pm

G,

Your appraisal has been haunting more and more over the last few weeks. Hipsters, minorities and flaky [older] baby boomers *thought* they were backing "an entirely NEW type of Dimmocratic candidate!?"

All they got was a younger version of Rev. Al. At least w/ Sharpton you don't hear about his wife so much?

9. Marshall_Will on December 18th, 2014 2:56 pm

The goal ( and I've seen this countless times in the Financial industry ) is to make you 'radioactive'. Ruin your life by dragging your reputation thru the dirt to the point no one would THINK about hiring you.

Then simply allow you to live out your years in poverty and disgrace. Have a nice day…

10. Marshall_Will on December 18th, 2014 4:07 pm

Oh, and don't forget those annoying faux IRS 'collection' calls! You know, the ones where they're given a snippet of info about some past return and only seem to be able to find registered Republicans?

Totally out of control here in Oregon. It would be easier to find one of us that *hasn't* gotten those calls. Natch the AG throws some public service BS up their website and..? Zilch. They.Just.Keep.Coming.

11. wedding venues on December 20th, 2014 11:30 am

wedding venues

FLOTUS? example of racial bias has also happened to me ? several times : The Powers That Be

12. ????? ???? ?????? on April 4th, 2016 11:29 am