A while back, Politico hired Mike Elk as a labor reporter. Now Elk is attempting to unionize the Politico staff (pass the popcorn).

Why does Elk want to unionize? Get a load of this:

Overwork is a problem that Elk plans on addressing in his union drive. “I can’t work the kind of hours I did when I was 24,” says Elk, who is 28. Putting in too many work hours, he says, is a problem of journalism as an industry and not exclusive to Politico. “Everyone works so much, it’s almost tough to get people to get together to talk about” forming a union, he says.

If my calculations are correct he’ll be unable to even get out of bed in the morning by the time he’s 36.

Enjoy the union-loving rabble-rouser you hired, Politico!

(h/t @cjciaramella)

Comments

7 Responses to “Overworked media unionizer of the week”

1. Truesoldier__ on January 27th, 2015 11:18 pm

Let's hope he is successful in unionizing liberal Politico. It would be poetic justice to see them a union shop that does not allow "overwork" and see them get scooped by everyone time and time again to the point that they get shoveled onto the scrap heap of history.

2. Granny617 on January 28th, 2015 10:18 pm

“I can’t work the kind of hours I did when I was 24,” says Elk, who is 28.

Hey guess what punk – I get my arse out of bed everyday at 5:30 am, go to work and give 150% to my work and enjoy every minute of it until I leave – no matter what time it may be. Why you ask? I love my job, I love my employer, I love my co-workers, it provides me a joyful pride in what I do and money to pay the bills. I am almost 60 yrs old and I bet I can run circles around your lazy 28 yr. old ass.

3. Granny617 on January 28th, 2015 10:34 pm

Politico under union rules…..

Elk: It's 10 am I have not had my double/triple latte and bran cereal – I am not going to cover that stupid press conference over at the Republican held house – they are a bunch of old red necks that smell like cigarette smoke. I am going to go cover President Stompy Foot – yeah he smokes and I hate It stinky smell but hey – free stuff for all! Send the old one leg, Latino lesbian with a hair lip to cover those hateful Republicans – I have seniority and besides I have an appointment to get my abs waxed at 2pm and a Democrat cocktail fundraiser at 6pm to attend so I can get my talking points. OMG and Brian Williams is going too. And Hillary……And some Kennedys and OMG…….

4. Labor reporter tries to unionize Politico staff | on January 29th, 2015 7:12 am

[…] Read about him at The Powers That Be […]

5. stop2think on January 29th, 2015 9:52 am

I'm 53 and get to the office at 6AM after a 40 minute drive and then drive to work a second 8 hr job starting at 3pm. This punk 28 year old can't handle long hours at 28? We truly have raised a generation of sackless men.

6. beest essays on January 30th, 2015 7:42 pm

The abilities of students are refined and polished. Assignment writing the life is made very comfortable and satisfied ridden. The skills are refined and new horizons of life are explored.

7. learn more on February 1st, 2015 10:01 am

it’s almost tough to get people to get together to talk about” forming a union .