In comments about the death of Thomas Stemberg, the founder of Staples, Mitt Romney seemed to admit something he denied in 2012 — that his health care brainchild in Massachusetts provided the inspiration for Obamacare:

Romney recalled that shortly after he was elected, Mr. Stemberg asked him why he ran for governor. Romney said he wanted to help people, and Mr. Stemberg replied that if he really wanted to help, he should give everyone access to health care, which Romney said he hadn’t really considered before.

“Without Tom pushing it, I don’t think we would have had Romneycare,” Romney said. “Without Romneycare, I don’t think we would have Obamacare. So without Tom, a lot of people wouldn’t have health insurance.”

Does the GOP know how to offer clear General Election alternatives to liberals OR WHAT? I suspect they’ll make the same mistake heading into next year’s election.

Comments

25 Responses to “Mitt Romney admits he’s the father of Obamacare”

1. Linkon on October 25th, 2015 3:00 pm

The US election is a great issue to many people of the world as it will bring some really good news for the people who want to buy essay us for the clear understanding about the political situation of the US government.

2. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2015 5:10 pm

What makes this, confession, all the more unnecessary; had Romney never ran, I doubt seriously The Dim Media Apparatus would have made the connection? Progressives have been caterwauling for "Single Payer Option" for YEARS. For them, O'Dramacare was a watered down alternative.

But Republicans and the legions of self-employed Americans that make up their base *didn't* like it, and that was good enough! Apply cattle prod! Do any of us honestly believe Dim cheerleaders felt this was about 'coverage'?

They knew full well, without any cues from Jonathan "Clueless" Gruber this would decimate those clinging to what's left of the middle class. Mitt's concession was every bit as needless as Gruber's.

3. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2015 8:30 pm

"bacon as dangerous as cigarettes"

Ahem, currently Oregon's AG Ellen Rosenblum is going after GNC as their "all natural" claims may not be up to snuff! Making a HUGE issue of it, like $25k PER 'infraction'. Or basically fining them out of business.

Mindful, this is one of the states that just ( with very little forethought ) legalized WEED. As we all know its long term impact on ( for instance 'growing' teens ) is settled science! These people are beyond ridiculous…

4. Truesoldier__ on October 26th, 2015 10:47 am

Oh don't get me started on Single Payer. I just found out this morning that the petition drive to get single payer on the ballet here in Colorado looks to have gotten enough signatures. So we may be looking at a 10% payroll tax increase here in Colorado come 2017 so everyone can have Medicare…..

5. Truesoldier__ on October 26th, 2015 10:48 am

That is one of the things that gets me. Liberals want to put the Tabaco industry out of business because smoking is so horrible and they will tell you this as they light up a joint. The irony is lost on them.

6. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2015 3:54 pm

MM *warned* all of us about these "grass roots" efforts in CO and now we're seeing WHY. Get flaky progressive ( and ever so compliant ) Blue States such as WA, OR and/or CA/CO to do the heavy lifting.

THEN hystericaly jump up & down pointing out "how *everyone* is doing it!" and they're half way to their tipping point. A formula they've used since Helmet Laws and smoking in public nanny-bans…

7. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2015 4:02 pm

What we DO know is even in very early studies, growing teens can have their growth stunted in excesses of 4 INCHES by partaking of the herb at too early an age.

At 4+ inches of lost height, you're basically a different PERSON than you'd have otherwise turned out. But we'll shelve those petty matters and go after Big Tobacco cuzz' they have really DEEP pockets and a can't miss bullseye!

Years back I'd read an article by the Brit Journal of Med. and their studies showed that the insanely high temps weed burns at, it basically FRIES the hair in your lungs and uh, the consequences vastly outweigh the supposed 'benefits' for glaucoma/boredom suffers…

8. Truesoldier__ on October 26th, 2015 4:53 pm

So true and here is something else that has always gotten me about the medical marijuana deal. Why is the prescription open ended when every other prescription for a controlled substance has a max quantity listed? You can't go get a prescription from a doctor for vicodin and then go to the pharmacist and have it filled every single day, so why is it any different for pot.

If they want medical marijuana I think that it should be dispensed the same as any other controlled substance used for pharmaceutical means.

9. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2015 5:28 pm

Excellent point!

Now certainly The Pot for All! lobby can contend that prescription drug abuse is be FAR the greatest contributor, and I don't believe it's necessarily off base?

But if anything, doesn't this show precisely what happens when distribution becomes a [blank] non-dated check? After years of hypochondriacs 'beating' a system biased to, yes! we're finally getting a handle on THAT multi-billion dollar debacle!

Remind me again ( why are we creating another? )

10. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2015 5:39 pm

More broadly, and judging by the armpit high stoners it feels like I'm perpetually surrounded by?

The Left, in conjunction w/ altogether too compliant tech titans, are morphing our Youth and increasingly LIV's of all ages into something clearly new, different and.., completely useless.

Typically they have all the outward appearances of being, malnourished giants? Gaunt to translucent in complexion, rigid in stance, gait and agility. I'm totally not kidding here but they also appear to be, "light sensitive". Waddling ( as vigorously as they can manage ) from their beater car to Energy Drink Distribution Center to avoid natural sunlight.

Are we seeing the Eloi and Morlocks take divergent evolutionary paths before our very EYES?

11. Truesoldier__ on October 26th, 2015 6:03 pm

Yep. Just one more reason I think my time in CO is about done. I have applied for a couple positions that are huge career boosters (and happen to be in more Conservative states).

12. Truesoldier__ on October 26th, 2015 6:06 pm

Great point. When in a cruel (or perhaps just bored mood) I have thought of tying a fishing line to a sixer of energy drinks and put it just out of reach of the porch of one of the neighbors (I live next to a University) and wait for them to creep from out of the shadows (btw that is who "lives in the shadows" not illegals, but I digress) and pull it away and see if they will chase it into the sunlight.

13. Truesoldier__ on October 26th, 2015 6:11 pm

O/T…but even more proof that this administration is hellbent on destroying this country from within. The latest is the changes that DHS is pushing:

The new changes DHS is proposing as part of President Obama’s executive action on immigration last November extends the program further to allow these students to stay in the United States for an additional 24 months instead of 17. This extension would allow these students to stay in the United States for a total of 36 months.

Because DHS defines a recent college graduate as a student, employees and workers can escape paying payroll taxes. This means that businesses can receive a bonus of $12,000 to hire an alien college graduate over a native-born one.

“This just means that still more resident workers will be denied jobs in favor of the OPT grads, because employers do not have to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes on students,” North said. “This definitional twist will now be worth as much as $12,000 for the employer who chooses the OPT grad rather than somebody else.”

“No one seems to notice that this will rob the elderly by taking money out of the Social Security and Medicare trust funds,” he said.

So now this administration is incentivicing replacing American workers with cheaper foreign born workers, while speeding up the tipping point of Social Securities bankruptcy.

14. Granny617 on October 26th, 2015 6:25 pm

TS and MW – Do you know that within 6 months of Obamacare passing that the FDA reclassified women's hormone therapy drugs as controlled substances? I could only get a 30 day supply good for refills for six months and then go back to the doctor ($100 office call) after six months to get another prescription for six months. The price per pill went from $28/90 day scrip to $69 for a 30 day supply. Talk about a war on women!!! I weaned myself off of them and still suffer from some severe hot flashes but I refuse to play the game (my doctor is a huge Obamacare fan). He lectured me about getting a colonoscopy, mammogram and bloodwork. I told him I can't afford it – if he wanted to cough up half the money for it I would gladly go have them done!

I don't have health care anymore – I have insurance that no longer covers squat.

15. ChapBix on October 26th, 2015 9:59 pm

Thank you for that information, TS! I had not known that.

16. Truesoldier__ on October 26th, 2015 10:42 pm

Tell me about it. My son has asthma and we used to be able to get his inhaler over the counter for about $10 now it runs about $30 and requires a prescription. That is for his rescue inhaler, for his daily use inhaler (always needed a prescription for it) it went from $75 a month to $155 a month for the insurance co-pay. We have worked with his doctor who has been giving us (when she gets them) sample ones to help offset the cost a bit.

17. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2015 12:24 am

"I could only get a 30 day supply"

They played the same game w/ Mrs. W. HERE'S the problem! In spite of what Dims would have us believe, many of these drugs that have been around for awhile are very low profit margin.

A few more percentage pts. ( and as Granny notes, an EVER shrinking market ) to the downside and it won't even make economic sense to produce them any more!

It would take a solid 6+ months for overseas drug companies ( where labor is dirt cheap ) to restock the drug pipeline. And you're only getting a 30-day supply!? And as I noted on Doug's thread at MM's, Hillary is getting "ground pork glands" ( porcine treatment ) but they're doing their level best to make it illegal/inaccessible for everyone ELSE.

18. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2015 12:36 am

"within six months of Obamacare passing"

Noticed the same w/ Nicoderm patches. Remember this from the people going after Big Tobacco! Since our 'insurance' now covers squat as well, I might as well be buying it OTC.

Our healthcare system is in shambles. We need to start demanding to see The REAL 'Government'. Those that have been operating in the shadows and pulling the strings!

Not this kabuki BS we've been shown for the last several years. I'm now totally convinced what we're seeing is: The Media-ready/Circus 'Government', put on solely for exposition. Nearly each and every one of our congressmen might as well be a hologram.

19. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2015 12:42 am

As Tammy Bruce recently mentioned, putting GE's Jeff Immelt in charge of Obama's "Jobs and Competition Committee" they should have been clearer on WHOSE 'jobs' and uh, 'competitive' w/ WHAT?

Disaster. And Paul Ryan wants MORE of it. Are we DONE here?

20. Granny617 on October 27th, 2015 12:48 pm

I agree with Rush on the Paul Ryan stint at speaker. This whole speaker crap was in the works for quite some time – like months and months ago. As the conservative roar was chasing down Boener's a$$, behind the scenes they were trying to figure out who could rescue the RINO's. I think Paul Ryan is going to be Boener, Chapter 2 – nothing more and nothing less. If the Freedom caucus agreed to this – shame on them. They should just fold up the group and go home. I believe the only sane person in Washington right now is Ted Cruz.

21. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2015 11:03 pm

Rule # 1

Always take the money! You can always feel bad about it later right? Good for YOU.

My old buddy whose co. transferred him from OR to NC explained "the only people that settle in Oregon these days are lunatics and the homeless". Only a lunatic in full embrace of the Progressive Agenda ( and $'s to BURN ) and 47%'ers would willingly flock here…

Reasonable ppl more aligned w/ the mainstream are continuing the exodus. Much as they have w/ Cali. Again, why not just merge CA/OR/WA and call it 47%'er Topia?

22. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2015 11:09 pm

And at the risk of being branded an extremist, isn't this hijacking of 'our government' just another straw toward seceding?

The quotes I've heard from Ryan concerning H1-B visa workers, and THEIR "right to work" might as well have come out of O'Dumbo's mouf HISSELF?

Now PR wants to "pre-circumvent" ( a practice they BOTH have taken to ) to suspend the Jefferson Rule and… basically make him Speaker of' LIFE. We need to start showing this cabal of elitist @-holes we're at the point of considering other options. DEAL.

23. LouisGrace on October 28th, 2015 4:18 pm

Glad to see a post from you–always check your blog periodically, and just figure if the blog is still here! I think your blog was one of the first I ever left a comment on, so I'm not going to let a little time between posts stop me from seeing if there's anything new… :) Take care, and thanks for posting!

24. Ongoing on November 2nd, 2015 7:50 am

Ongoing

Mitt Romney admits he?s the father of Obamacare : The Powers That Be

25. กà¹ōาà¸?ัà¸â?Ã Â¸â?ลวกà¸â?Ã Â¹â?°Ã Â¸Â§Ã Â¸Â¢Ã Â¸â?¢Ã Â¸Â±Ã Â¸Â§Ã Â¹â?¬Ã Â¸Â­Ã Â¸â?¡ on November 10th, 2015 6:54 am

Mitt Romney admits he’s the father of Obamacare : The Powers That Be